• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 50 best games of 2020 according to Polygon

Rhazkul

Hades #1? The game is so overrated...
I played it. It's a good game. Artstyle is original. Gameplay and combat is fun. Music is good. But as a roguelike-lite, the game fails. There's not much variety. You face the same enemies and bosses every run. They should have dropped the roguelike-lite concept, maybe then i would rate it higher. But the way the game is: 7/10 at best. There are much better and deeper roguelike-lite games. And DOOM Eternal almost last place? Ridiculous...

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I dont play a lot of new games but Doom Eternal was not the 47th best game released this year.

Spokker

I don't know how to use computers, but from a distance it seems to me that Microsoft Flight Simulator and Half Life: Alyx are the games of the year. They push their genres and/or platforms the most out of any major game I've seen, and do the most to move the industry forward.

As much as I enjoy the culture wars between Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us 2, and while they are solid entries that represent the best of last-gen in the usual video game categories or graphics, gameplay etc., both are derivative and fail to innovate in any way.

Good on Polygon for placing MSFS at #3. This is how I felt when I agreed with AOC the other day.

Last edited:
I think the games they chose are great for the most part, but that placement is ATROCIOUS. Animal Crossing being as high as it is? FF7 Remake being so high and that shit isn’t even finished? I like their focus on diverse games, but come on man...

Valedix

Gold Member
No GIF

Roberts

Well, it is an interesting list, because there are almost no predictable choices even if I don't really agree with anything on it. I really hope Hades will come out on xbox one day, because everything I read about makes it look like an amazing game. Also, nice to see Spiritfarer and finally someone recognises MFS as a game and a great one at that.

That said, it is weird not to see Wasteland 3 which does a lot of amazing things as a narrative game and a RPG. I'm also playing Gears Tactics atm and it is so much more engaging than a lot of games on this list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hudo

Ah, yeah. That time of the year again where everyone shits out lists. Lists are probably the easiest content those blogs can produce while being very effective in generating clicks.

They're fun to talk about (disagree with) however.

greencoder

Polygon called Kentucky Route Zero "the most important game of the decade" last year, so no wonder that it's in the top 5. I think Polygon is a decent website and this list is OK. NeoGAF users shit on everything, but then again, GAFers are mostly pseudo gamers and toxic people who only play like 5-10 games a year, but think of themselves as gamer-gurus.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
GAFers are mostly pseudo gamers and toxic people who only play like 5-10 games a year, but think of themselves as gamer-gurus.
10 games, big ones like Destiny 2, CoD or Assa.Creed and similar at 70 to 100 hours or more (GAAS, F2P).

Let´s do the mafs!

365 days * 24 = 8,760 hours total
365 days * 9 = 3,285 hours working (a total of 136 days and 21h)
365 days * 7 = 2,555 hours sleeping (a total of 106 days and 11h)
gaming = up to 1,000 hours per year (a total of 41 days and 16h)
commute about 20min * 2 * 365 : 60 = 243 hours (a total of 10 days and 3h)

REMAINING = 1,677 hours for socializing, shopping, cooking, gang-war etc.

Cooking avg. 40min? per meal for a couple
40 * 365 * 2 meals = 29,200 min : 60 = 486 hours or 20 days and 7h
CLEANING avg. 40min? per day
40 * 365 : 60 = 243h or 24 days and 3h
AFTERWORK KARAOKE 1h avg. * 260 = 260h or 10 days and 20h
SEX avg. 140 f*cks per year according to statistics at 25min with pre&after show .. 140 * 25min = 3,500min : 60 = 58 hours or 2 days and 10h of f*cking

REST: 630 hours for gang - war related activities or 26 days and 6h of gang-banging action or 2nd wife meating. Or just enough for 5x more games. Tight budget!

Polygon is a decent website
more like

Top Bottom