• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 5+ day work week is complete bullshit

Jorav

Unfortunately we live in a world where emails go to your phone, information is virtually instantaneous and you're a phone call away. I've had clients send an email at 10am and call me at 10:30 asking for a response. I have an out of hours response which says my work hours are between X times. I will respond in due time. Also if you come across as a twat, i somehow forget to reply lol

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Eh, hair is overrated. Also there are tons of hot 40 year olds out there

Agreed somewhat on hair. I should've said either completely bald or good head of hair is great. Patchy half there half bald is the look which doesn't suit almost any man.

I usually don't find many over 40 hot women here. I suppose it maybe different in different countries or cultures.

Hari Seldon

Everyone is so spoiled after working from home or having shorter shifts. Get your ass back to work and quit whining. Geezus!
Why? The job market is too good right now. I'm not sure why shareholders have not caught on to this. I'd be wary of investing in any company that is stubbernly sticking to a return to office plan. They are going to be absolutely bleeding talent.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Why? The job market is too good right now. I'm not sure why shareholders have not caught on to this. I'd be wary of investing in any company that is stubbernly sticking to a return to office plan. They are going to be absolutely bleeding talent.
Yup, we are not getting to 100% office work ever again - once people realised how good WFH is (no commute, can do admin things on the side, you are evaluated by results and not by sitting at your desk) there is no coming back.
Probably the best thing to happen due to Covid.

I work 6 days a week, sometimes 7. But I work from the privacy of my own home at my own will for myself. I guess this is different than working a regular 9 to 5, 5 days a week?

Still work though, gotta hold meetings on weekends (yes you read that right) send emails, answer social media posts, upload YouTube videos, schedule people out and so on.

Fools idol

Banned
I've worked 7 days a week for the past 15 years. Owning your own business hits different. I love what I do though so it rarey feels like work unless I have a particularly annoying client, to which I usually offload to my employees.

Remote working is fantastic. I spend 90% of my time in sweatpants lol

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Agreed somewhat on hair. I should've said either completely bald or good head of hair is great. Patchy half there half bald is the look which doesn't suit almost any man.
Yeah. If it's going thin just commit.

Kimahri

Banned
Yup, we are not getting to 100% office work ever again - once people realised how good WFH is (no commute, can do admin things on the side, you are evaluated by results and not by sitting at your desk) there is no coming back.
Probably the best thing to happen due to Covid.
Yeah, my wife had work from home for almost two years, and now they are demanding everyone comes back to the office. Because they want to maintain the good work environment or some bullshit like that.

My wife's kind of an introvert, so she was much happier wfh, got things done much faster, and she was far from the only one.

I just don't see the benefit in forcing people back. They're more tired, less productive, and it's more expensive for everyone involved.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is where I am at as well.

Love my job. Work 5 days a week, often I will go in on the weekends just to get more work done and further my research. It’s stimulating, ever changing, and something I genuinely love to do.

Sadly most jobs are not like mine and I do feel for them. All I can say is, if possible, pursue and work towards a dream job/career. Will make your days even better.
Oncological Research.
That's great.

I'm a finance guy analyzing and approving stuff at work and supporting company level financials for the execs. Sounds boring staring at spreadsheets and answering emails all day. It's a pretty easy job if youre good with numbers and business sense.

The hardest part is probably using the ERP tools and waiting for accurate data, especially if the data integrity is shaky. Where you got to get hold of IT and ask them to fix.... which can take anywhere from a couple days to couple months.

At work, some people dont like us as we nitpick stuff to death but thats the nature of it, since sales and marketing people has little financial acumen and will give away the farm to make a sale. There's still some old school sales and marketing people (the old days) who still believe in just shipping as much shit out as possible for dirt cheap and pray that it makes sense financially. Thats the way the old days worked.

So we keep them under control. Easier to do now vs. our dad's generation where things are automated and were all good with spreadsheets. Back then when people were doing hand written deals who knows what the hell they were doing. They dont understand (and never will) that their bonuses are helped by our team to keep financials well.

All the kind of shit you see on store shelves has guys like me helping mould the costs and pricing too. Its a job you'd never see in a business textbook, but I like it.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
I curate memes, make vegan clothing for cats and embroider root vegetable for a niche clientele of citrus barons.

Everyone is so spoiled after working from home or having shorter shifts. Get your ass back to work and quit whining. Geezus!
A lot of big companies made profit, selling buildings to free up money for estates and rent, productivity is higher (even before covid, studies showed this) and people can work flexible without compromising performance. Office work requires an internet connection, desk and computer. People realise added cost, time and stress of daily commuting isn't beneficial.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
At work, some people dont like us as we nitpick stuff to death but thats the nature of it, since sales and marketing people has little financial acumen and will give away the farm to make a sale.
rage GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No joke. Even to this day you get this. And thats even with most companies trended to Net Sales metrics. Nobody cares at Gross Revenue like it's a decade ago where some still did.

Sales guy: At a cost of $5.00, I can sell $1,000,000 worth of stuff!

Me: Never mind a small profit, we'd actually be losing money on every case you sell at $5.00

Sales guy: But we'd get $1,000,000 of shipment sales!

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
No joke. Even to this day you get this. And thats even with most companies trended to Net Sales metrics. Nobody cares at Gross Revenue like it's a decade ago where some still did.

Sales guy: At a cost of $5.00, I can sell $1,000,000 worth of stuff!

Me: Never mind a small profit, we'd actually be losing money on every case you sell at $5.00

Sales guy: But we'd get $1,000,000 of shipment sales!
I've NEVER met a Sales Rep that I respect or like. Most don't have any clue about the product they're selling. Leading to skewed expectations when clients are onboarded.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've NEVER met a Sales Rep that I respect or like. Most don't have any clue about the product they're selling. Leading to skewed expectations when clients are onboarded.
The bigger the company, the more department functions there are to do all the analysis and handholding. And the bigger the company, the higher chance of junior analysts or admin doing their powerpoints etc...

The one thing they do is be the contact link between us and the account, and as usual they are usually decent looking and have the gift of gab. Not too often you'll see a total slob or dude who can barely communicate. Most have lousy financial and analysis skills and as you said, many have no clue what they are really selling, but can usually do well winging it with whatever info they were fed.

There is no way someone like me in finance should know the brands better than a sales guy. Finance part yes. The marketing, hype, product knowledge, pricing no. Thats the type of stuff they should be knowledgeable about so they can talk it up. Half of them have no clue.

The best is when they do an internal presentation. Some are good and know their stuff. Others regurgitate what's on screen which obviously one of the junior people made for them and if there's an obvious error people can eyeball, they are oblivious to the error.

But, they sure are good in front of the room.

The biggest issue I have with sales people isnt even the above. Its that when shit hits the fan and why are things in the dumps, they will ALWAYS try to find a way to weasel out of it. Not my fault. Other dept screwed up. Sales were off by $2M, well the account didn't buy as much as I thought etc....

Very very tough to ever see them man up and say what they did was off.

Last edited:
I don't know or care how it happened but I do know that it's not healthy and it does not give people time to do what they want and live their lives. I've always hated work and always will, but I can find some acceptance if there is a 3 or 4 day work week as opposed to the current 5 (or more!) days that many people deal with as standard.

I had been working 5-6 days per week, 8 hours per day, for years and when I finally went to 4-10 hour days I was much happier in general. Now there is talk of us going back and I'm absolutely dreading it. I can do it, but I feel like it will suck the soul out of me to go back to that many days per week of work.

And we all know it's not actually just an 8 hour day. It's usually 8.5 hours per day, not including travel time and time getting ready. I would bet that most Americans actually have a 10 or so hour work day when all is said and done.

I don't really know what I'm starting a thread for. I guess just to see if others agree or what kind of hours you all work and if you get any enjoyment out of what you do.

I want change I guess. I want people to fight to be able to live their damn lives for themselves instead of working themselves to death. I want people to fight for a 4 day work week maximum. Not 5 days and certainly never 6 or 7 unless you really just love what you do (which is just fine).
I concur.

Why i work from home 4 - 10s and refuse promotions to that call for long commutes, and on site work. I save money working from home and having 3 days off in a row is amazing. It did suck that i had to work weekends due to covid for a bit but that is reverting to having to only work Sundays and have off thurs-friday-sat. I can deal with that.

I love having more time to take care of appointments as everything closes super early now due to fucking covid. We don't even have 24/7 grocery stores. Restaurants close at 9pm and other shops 5pm wtf... Glad i have the extra day. Also gives me time to hike and excerise. I was dreading when the possiblity of working 5 8s came up. Glad it didn't.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I curate memes, make vegan clothing for cats and embroider root vegetable for a niche clientele of citrus barons.

A lot of big companies made profit, selling buildings to free up money for estates and rent, productivity is higher (even before covid, studies showed this) and people can work flexible without compromising performance. Office work requires an internet connection, desk and computer. People realise added cost, time and stress of daily commuting isn't beneficial.
OP was saying 5 day work week. Working at home still requires working 5 days.

sinnergy

I am working 4 days when I switched jobs , it was in my negotiations.. couldn’t handle 5 days anymore in my high stress job after 15 years working in such an environment.

Last edited:

Paasei

Monday till Thursday 8:30 to 17:00 and Friday from 8:30 till 16:00.
One week I work one day from home and the next week I work two days from home.

Yeah, working sucks. I live frugally and have multiple sources of income, so I can take off when I want to. Life quality increased dramatically. None of these jobs are dream jobs, granted. It's a rare opportunity to make money doing something you really enjoy.

I think some people are just wired differently. I have friends that actively seek work on Saturday and Sunday doing odd jobs. God bless them. Of course, none of this is applicable if you're working for a boss that sees you solely as a tool to meet theirg goals, and that's where the vast majority of the work comes from.

Last edited:

Scotty W

don't know or care how it happened but I do know that it's not healthy and it does not give people time to do what they want and live their lives. I've always hated work and always will, but I can find some acceptance if there is a 3 or 4 day work week as opposed to the current 5 (or more!) days that many people deal with as standard.

Since the dawn of human history, the 40 hour workweek has been a dream. Think: the vast majority of humanity has always worked nearly every day, and never too far away from starvation.

You have millions of comforts and interesting material free at hand, but you just have to sever a little bit more of your connection to reality.

Gain some perspective you ingrate.

sinnergy

This is how we done it , this is how we are always gonna do it 🤣

Lots of flexible individuals in this thread, love it.

And people who wished the could have a happy life with 24 / 32 hours of work a week , but with less or smarter money .

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Almost every company I've seen that has switched over to 4 days a week has seen an increase in overall performance.

Same with the ability to work remote if possible. I swear...any company or CEO that doesn't allow for remote work when possible deserves to go bankrupt or fail.

Call me an "entitled" millennial if you want...I've worked for 20 years now and always busted my ass to succeed for whatever my work required (and will continue to do so), but we shouldn't allow our job to be our entire life and enslave us.

ClosBSAS

In the USA it's like that my man. I used to work 14hrs a day 7 days a week, lived in Jew jersey, went back home, slept 4 he's and came back to work in upper Broadway. Shit sucked ass.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Almost every company I've seen that has switched over to 4 days a week has seen an increase in overall performance.

Same with the ability to work remote if possible. I swear...any company or CEO that doesn't allow for remote work when possible deserves to go bankrupt or fail.

Call me an "entitled" millennial if you want...I've worked for 20 years now and always busted my ass to succeed for whatever my work required (and will continue to do so), but we shouldn't allow our job to be our entire life and enslave us.
There's benefits to going to the office too. I can understand someone with a one hour commute not wanting to slog through traffic and snow, but for people like me with an easy route that is half an hour, it's not hard to get to work.

Working remote is great for people who like to work (or their job is like that) as lone wolfs, but for team projects it's pain in the ass to get everyone assembled for Skype or Teams meetings, especially when you got people dropping out or the host says (technical difficulties). ONine meetings suck too because even the execs notice that 95% of people are faceless avatars because nobody wants to speak up or show their face. It's got to a point the bosses even want people to get on cam.

Another drawback of wfh is that half the people you can never get hold of. At the office you now they are there. And with people goofing around wfh you can tell they arent there because during the middle of the work day their system is yellow and says Away for 3 hours. They probably went grocery shopping and watched a matinee movie.

One thing workers complain about is just being an employee (Employee#2953). Remote working + grey default MS Teams avatar (some people so lazy they dont even want to upload a pic of themselves like Linkedin) + the guy never speaks up + never goes on cam = reinforces that lemmings stereotype.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I work six days a week. Taking into account my travel time I'm out of the house for 12 hours per day. I'm okay with it, I like working.
I like getting out of the house too. Like driving and my route isnt gridlock. It's nice to get out and grab food. Holing up WFH for 20 years take a certain kind of mindset. Not for me.

Papacheeks

Banned
Since the dawn of human history, the 40 hour workweek has been a dream. Think: the vast majority of humanity has always worked nearly every day, and never too far away from starvation.

You have millions of comforts and interesting material free at hand, but you just have to sever a little bit more of your connection to reality.

Gain some perspective you ingrate.

I work 40 hours a week and am on call. But I find it fine. I look forward to the weekends actually. I do get overtime or have long days where I sometimes work through my lunch. But I'm done by 3pm most days so its fine.

But honestly if people have a set shift and its around 40 hours with days off thats at least somewhat consistent then I dont know wtf people are complaining about.

I asked a question earlier in this thread and no one answered.

I asked how old are people?

The fact a lot of people didn't answer kind of gives me all the answer I need.

Stop being pussies, work hard. If you hate what you do, change it. Regardless of what the pay is, your emotional state matters more than paper.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I work 40 hours a week and am on call. But I find it fine. I look forward to the weekends actually. I do get overtime or have long days where I sometimes work through my lunch. But I'm done by 3pm most days so its fine.

But honestly if people have a set shift and its around 40 hours with days off thats at least somewhat consistent then I dont know wtf people are complaining about.

I asked a question earlier in this thread and no one answered.

I asked how old are people?

The fact a lot of people didn't answer kind of gives me all the answer I need.

Stop being pussies, work hard. If you hate what you do, change it. Regardless of what the pay is, your emotional state matters more than paper.
Some people are lazy.

It's like some of the under-30 newbies at work who didn't want to come in for meetings. This was years back before covid and the boss is basically arguing with the guy why he doesn't want to come in like everyone else.

You never get this with veteran workers. They all show up. And the young people who complain about this kind of entitlement are all unmarried with no kids. So it' not like some crisis school drop off or babysitting issue at home. If there's anyone out there who should be able to wake up and get off their ass to work are single people with no kids.

People also forget that a 40 hour week isn't even 40 hours of work. And a week has 168 hours in it.

Minus off lunch break, morning and afternoon breaks, every job has downtime where people chat, surf the net or stand around doing nothing (the maintenance guy at work sits in the cafe surfing his phone when he's got nothing to do).

After you minus off all the food breaks and goofing around, the average person probably only works 30 hours at most.

Some people are lazy.

It's like some of the under-30 newbies at work who didn't want to come in for meetings. This was years back before covid and the boss is basically arguing with the guy why he doesn't want to come in like everyone else.

You never get this with veteran workers. They all show up. And the young people who complain about this kind of entitlement are all unmarried with no kids. So it' not like some crisis school drop off or babysitting issue at home. If there's anyone out there who should be able to wake up and get off their ass to work are single people with no kids.

People also forget that a 40 hour week isn't even 40 hours of work. And a week has 168 hours in it.

Minus off lunch break, morning and afternoon breaks, every job has downtime where people chat, surf the net or stand around doing nothing (the maintenance guy at work sits in the cafe surfing his phone when he's got nothing to do).

After you minus off all the food breaks and goofing around, the average person probably only works 30 hours at most.
Everything in this post is spot on.

Also the very last sentence of your post: the movie Office Space put it humorously:

0998da1fe05fbf64e18470caa2c4d6b9--office-space-quotes-office-spaces.jpg

Top Bottom