• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My company is voting on whether or not to switch to 4-10 schedule.

Aesius

TBH the whole infrastructure around raising kids is remarkably inefficient given how important kids are for the economy (sorry trendy singles, in majority of countries in Europe it's the kids that will be working for your retirement). If I had to count how many times my kids were sick, school was closed, something else happened that made me keep kids at home for even 2-3 extra hours - without WFH 100% it would have been downright brutal.
You basically have to have at least one parent with a flexible job (or a grandparent who lives nearby and is willing to help out at a moment's notice).

Ideally you have one stay-at-home or part-time parent. Problem is, if you both make average incomes, you can't do that. You need both parents working full-time to not be poor.

My kids are still very young (baby and a toddler) and they go to part-time daycare right now. I have no idea how my wife and I are going to make it work when they're older and home for weeks for Christmas break, spring break, and summer break. Let alone all the random days school is closed or they're sick. My mom either didn't work or worked part-time when I was a kid so it was never an issue, but dropping down to one income would break me and my wife.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
TBH the whole infrastructure around raising kids is remarkably inefficient given how important kids are for the economy (sorry trendy singles, in majority of countries in Europe it's the kids that will be working for your retirement). If I had to count how many times my kids were sick, school was closed, something else happened that made me keep kids at home for even 2-3 extra hours - without WFH 100% it would have been downright brutal.
You basically have to have at least one parent with a flexible job (or a grandparent who lives nearby and is willing to help out at a moment's notice).

Ideally you have one stay-at-home or part-time parent. Problem is, if you both make average incomes, you can't do that. You need both parents working full-time to not be poor.

My kids are still very young (baby and a toddler) and they go to part-time daycare right now. I have no idea how my wife and I are going to make it work when they're older and home for weeks for Christmas break, spring break, and summer break. Let alone all the random days school is closed or they're sick. My mom either didn't work or worked part-time when I was a kid so it was never an issue, but dropping down to one income would break me and my wife.
A few things that help if the family is lucky or can do it:

- Kids walk to school to the nearest school. My siblings and I all walked to school from K to high school. My parents simply enrolled us into the nearest public school. My parents didnt give a shit about french immersion schools, bussing us to a farther school if the school board allowed it, or private school. Just go to the nearest one. The farthest walk was high school at around 20 minutes

- When kids are old enough, let them walk home by themselves. None of this babysitting shit by parents. I started walking to and from school in grade 1 or 2. Put a key around their neck on a string. I was lucky and mom stayed at home during stretches when were young. When you get a bit older, you get your own house key (I think I got in around grade 4). Tons of us in grade school did that. If that looks to dumb, then put it in your pocket. Now you can go home even if dad is at work and mom is back to work or shopping. It's an odd thing because when I did grade school in the 80s I dont think one buddy had babysitters. As for daycare with toddlers I dont know. But in grade school it gets to a point every kid can go home, no babysitter needed and you just get home to an empty house, grab a bowl of chips and watch cartoons till everyone else in the fam got home. Now it seems everyone at work has babysitters, dogwalkers or both. Nobody had dogwalkers back then. I dont think that job even existed. You just leave the dog in the backyard.

Last edited:
My Union is getting into some strange scenarios we didn't foresee when a section went out and changed their hours.

Now they're upset that instead of getting 20 days off a year, it's down to 16.
(20 x 8 = 160hours) (16 x 10 = 160 hours).

JCK75

I'm IT in a school system, we are allowed to take on a four 10 hour day schedule during the summer if I wish.. but honestly.. leaving 2 hours later each day is a lot of a day lost to me... and I will be so much less productive that way than having the extra day..
I'm going to pass on it.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Once you hit 8 hours though, the extra 2 isn’t really an issue. The hardest part of work, is getting motivated to get there. Once you are at work it’s really not all that bad…unless you loathe your job of course lol

Everybody wants to get off work these days. Where did this come from?

Who's going to do it if you don't?

Stupid. Give up your job for somebody who wants it more of that's your thoughts.

tommolb

It depends on how much you trust management in your company to not start trying to book "important" meetings on a Friday or sending critical emails on a Friday that require a response. Combine that with tossers who would go in on a Friday to "get ahead". Before you know it management will equate Friday workers as those who are dedicated and they get all the high performance grades and promotions, while everyone else is considered lazy and the first who are walked out the door when redundancies come along.

(yes, I am a cynical person!)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not a fan of 4-10. I'd rather just do a typical 5 day week and I'm single.

I dont see how people with kids who do school pick up and drop off can easily do a 4-10 schedule. Also, I've never done one as my hours are a 9-5 kind of job. But a 10 hour day would be something like 7-5, 8-6 or 9-7.

I already dont like 9 am or 4 pm meetings (I never schedule them, but some people do). Expected to expand the day and possibly do 8 am or 6 pm meetings, no thanks.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
How did the vote go?
Haven't had it yet. The meeting last week ended up being a meeting where a department of labor dude read us our rights and shit. Actual votes are this coming Thursday. It requires 2/3rds vote to pass. The vibe around of the office is that it's a popular decision and will pass, but who knows how real that is.

I know a few of the pro people have been rather aggressive in pushing for support, so there might have been a few people who claimed to say they'll vote yes, but really vote no.

Top Bottom