• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best thing about the Switch is... Switching!

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Everyone is buying the Switch probably because it's a decent handheld device which can run first party Nintendo games, but I'm grateful every day that I didn't get the Lite version. The best feature of this device is the Switch mechanism(plus a pair of joycon). You might say 'duh', but I think this feature isn't highlighted as much as it used to be. If possible, I would love to play all my games on a console with this feature. I've already expanded my Switch library quite a bit.

I don't take my Switch everywhere with me, but being able to easily switch rooms within my home, carry entertainment easily when visiting another house or going on vacation, is a great convenience. It wasn't long ago when I used to fill half of my suitcase with my PS3/4 or laptop.

Other companies are trying to compete with it by releasing their own handheld consoles, but what they really need is implement this practical solution to their devices. It's the most enjoyable way to play games or watch something. Steam Deck and Ally can also connect to a dock, but you have to pay extra for it, plus they need an extra controller (or two). Moreover, it is doubtful whether the games are optimized to work in this way.

I hope Nintendo doesn't give up on this feature and start producing only handheld consoles. Due to my arms and neck, I can't play it for long periods of time on handheld mode. And I don't want to miss out the joy of playing on a big screen.

Come to think of it, it would be amazing to have a gaming phone with Switch-like features(dock plus joycons).

What do you think about Switch mechanism?

SeraphJan

The innovation is the Joy Con, this is what makes the "Switching", output to TV is nothing new

The thing is Joy Con is not a good controller in terms of ergonomic, I almost always prefer using Switch Pro controller.

For me Steam Deck (I prefer using cable instead of Dock, its more flexible and easier to carry) is as Switchable as Nintendo Switch, since I'm using Switch Pro controller on both device.

If Nintendo want their next gaming device to stand out in terms "Hybrid-ness" among other device, they need to improve the Joy Con, if people needs to use the Pro controller in order to play execution heavy games (Such as Bayonetta franchise, using Joy Con to play this is a torture), it defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

cireza

Console stays docked so I can play with a proper controller, because Joycons and Pro Controller are awful. There isn't a single redeeming quality to the Joycons really. Button layout is atrocious on the right joycon, d-pad is the worst ever, they disconnect often, stick drift etc...

Last edited:

Stratostar

The handheld/portable aspect of the Switch does absolutely nothing for me. I don't game on the go, so my Switch never leaves the house. Docked mode + pro controller user exclusively since day one.
Recently on a whim I figured I'd try playing some Metroid Prime Remastered in bed in handheld mode. I was immediately appalled at how badly it controlled. The joy cons are the dinkiest little controllers I've ever used. Dogshit little analog "nubs" that drift and don't provide half the degree of control that an actual full-sized analog stick can. I've also tried playing Mario Kart 8 in "tabletop" mode with me and friend both using the joycons by themselves, what an absolute joke. We both laughed at how small and uncomfortable they are. It's like Nintendo thinks everyone has child-size hands.

I'm in the camp that doesn't particularly want a Switch 2. I'd honestly take whatever new gimmick Nintendo has cooked up over another hybrid console unless the handheld experience isn't objectively much worse than playing on the bigscreen on my couch with a pro controller. But even then I'd still play docked 99.9% of the time.

Mr Hyde

I love the hybrid nature of the Switch, and the fact that the Joy-Cons are detachable makes the system even better. Three ways to play, all in one, what's not to love. Never had any issues with the Joy-Cons except drift on the right which I managed to fix. Not being tethered to the tv is a great feature, and whenever I'm on the road, Switch is right by my side. The OLED screen looks phenomenal too, very pleased with it. It's thanks to the Switch that I got into handhelds, never been a fan before but now it just clicked. Handheld gaming is very relaxing and you can do it anywhere, everywhere.

The hybrid nature of Switch even got me to invest in a ROG Ally with an XG Mobile as a dock, making PC gaming hybrid too. It's the way going forward for me, I don't think I ever want to be locked to the tv only ever again. Plus, these devices are so small and draws so little energy, making for both efficient power consumption and small form factor around my entertainment center.

This is how my setup looks.

Gj905jC.jpg

vI133Fe.jpg

kunonabi

It's a great idea but the the switch is such a poorly designed handheld that I refuse to take it out of the dock.

Quasicat

I occasionally get some down time at work and used to play Xcloud on my iPad, but the internet has gotten really inconsistent in the past year which makes it perfect for the Switch. I love how I can take it with me and then hook it up to my TV and not have to worry about saves transferring or anything like that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I bought my Switch same reason I bought any of me systems, it has games I want to play.

It form factor is irrelevant for me.

Zannegan

I agree. I love the flexibility. I'll use it docked for long periods of time, then, suddenly there's a game or a situation where I'm all handheld all the time.

I hope the next one raises the hardware power baseline a fair bit, and I'd like to see some form factor improvements, but I'd be sad if they drop switching as the central gimmick. I don't need them to pull even with the XSS, just a nice generational leap over the Switch will do me fine.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't really care about the portable nature of Switch. I don't like the joy cons at all. I just want the games. I've started ripping my Switch games from cartridges (legally!) to my PC so I can take advantage of the boost in hardware through emulation. That's the best way to play these games for me.

But I do think the "Switch" aspect of the device is pretty cool.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I don't really care about the portable nature of Switch. I don't like the joy cons at all. I just want the games. I've started ripping my Switch games from cartridges (legally!) to my PC so I can take advantage of the boost in hardware through emulation. That's the best way to play these games for me.

But I do think the "Switch" aspect of the device is pretty cool.

Yea same. Switch emulation is great now. XB3 in 60 fps / 2x res was a night and day difference.

The switch is a really cool device it’s just old and busted now. The games look like shit on TV. Conceptually it is brilliant.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It seems that no one in this thread has children

Switch is brilliantly positioned as a family product. Being able to game on the TV together is non-negotiable of course. But also being able to let your kid take it off the stand and into another room, or on a long car ride, without even interrupting their game... is fantastic.

TV-outs are fine but generally not very practical on user adoption in realistic homes. People don't want to fiddle with HDMI cords on the family TV stand or mounted entertainment system. You either drop it on a stand (...or somehow AirPlay it), or else it will be too annoying to switch back and forth regularly.

The thing that makes the joy cons so great out of the box is that you have multiplayer from day 1 with no additional accessories purchase. So you get a portable device, a family TV device for shared gaming, and 2 controllers without buying anything more. I can't possibly overstate how much of a value prop that is for a family.

Last edited:
I think I’ve played games on the WiiU Gamepad more than I’ve ever played a game in handheld mode on the Switch. (Which isn’t a lot, but still). For starters the WiiU Gamepad has actual analog sticks instead of the cheap crap on the Joy-cons. Also, as weird as both sticks being above the buttons is at first, ergonomically it works better and I don’t know why they got rid of that design for the Joycons because my right thumb would feel much more comfortable if the right stick was higher.

The WiiU Gamepad looks funky, but the ergonomics are way better then the switch in handheld mode.The Switch Pro controller is fine with the asymmetric sticks, but I think they could’ve forgone consistency for comfort for both modes of play; having SPC have asymmetric stick and the Joycons being symmetric.

Fbh

It is pretty nice yeah. It gives it an added layer of flexibility which makes it even better as a secondary system.

Console stays docked so I can play with a proper controller, because Joycons and Pro Controller are awful. There isn't a single redeeming quality to the Joycons really. Button layout is atrocious on the right joycon, d-pad is the worst ever, they disconnect often, stick drift etc...

I still don't get why the pro controller gets so much praise.
The dpad is awful, the trigger are awful and the analog sticks have always felt too loose to me.
The one good thing it has going for it is great battery life

Kataploom

Gold Member
IDK, best thing for me is Nintendo games, if they released a TV only Switch with better cooling and unlocked clocks, I'd be way happier

Three

I love the hybrid nature of the Switch, and the fact that the Joy-Cons are detachable makes the system even better. Three ways to play, all in one, what's not to love. Never had any issues with the Joy-Cons except drift on the right which I managed to fix. Not being tethered to the tv is a great feature, and whenever I'm on the road, Switch is right by my side. The OLED screen looks phenomenal too, very pleased with it. It's thanks to the Switch that I got into handhelds, never been a fan before but now it just clicked. Handheld gaming is very relaxing and you can do it anywhere, everywhere.

The hybrid nature of Switch even got me to invest in a ROG Ally with an XG Mobile as a dock, making PC gaming hybrid too. It's the way going forward for me, I don't think I ever want to be locked to the tv only ever again. Plus, these devices are so small and draws so little energy, making for both efficient power consumption and small form factor around my entertainment center.

This is how my setup looks.

Gj905jC.jpg

vI133Fe.jpg
Love the little Gremlin holder.

The joycons are naff and I find the Switch cumbersome compared to other handhelds I carry (Evercade EXP, Vita, 3DS) so prefer to dock more often than not. It is pretty neat being able to just undock and carry on playing tho.

Only issue docking is that, with the games I play anyway, not many have a worthwhile docked mode - some don't even have one.

Quasicat

I bought the OLED model this past year, mainly for the stronger build quality and the stand on the back. I fell in love with the screen that I wanted to get an OLED tv…which didn’t work in my well lit living room. Even with the QNED that I picked up, Switch games look really good!

It seems that no one in this thread has children

Switch is brilliantly positioned as a family product. Being able to game on the TV together is non-negotiable of course. But also being able to let your kid take it off the stand and into another room, or on a long car ride, without even interrupting their game... is fantastic.

TV-outs are fine but generally not very practical on user adoption in realistic homes. People don't want to fiddle with HDMI cords on the family TV stand or mounted entertainment system. You either drop it on a stand (...or somehow AirPlay it), or else it will be too annoying to switch back and forth regularly.

The thing that makes the joy cons so great out of the box is that you have multiplayer from day 1 with no additional accessories purchase. So you get a portable device, a family TV device for shared gaming, and 2 controllers without buying anything more. I can't possibly overstate how much of a value prop that is for a family.
My daughter loves playing computer games with me or random stuff like Melee, but you are right that the Switch was a whole different level of being able to connect with her in a sense of gaming. We love playing it together and talking about what we play.

The part about joycons is such a fact. The first night we opened it we were in the middle of a house move and had very little left, definitely no television hooked up, but we were able to play multiplayer games right away with joycons and the screen! Was great.

F31 Leopard

My favorite and also my primary console. My PS4 and XSX are secondary. It's mostly docked but I do use handheld if someone wants to watch TV, going to an MD appointment, traveling or at the DMV. The fact that it also supports wireless LAN for multi-player games is a major plus for me and my kids. Also I don't have to wait for long installs and updates compared to PS and Xbox.

calistan

One thing I dislike about the ‘switchiness’ is having to pair the damned controllers every time. Why can’t I pick it up and play? Press L and R on the controllers you’re using… No, wait, that one is still starting up… Press A to continue…. Nope, forgot one of them, do it again…

Also mine was having some trouble keeping connected in handheld mode when I was playing Zelda. Every so often it would think I’d removed a controller and ask me to pair them up again, which involved removing them from the rails and slotting them back in to remind it I was playing handheld.

Plus they’ve always flexed slightly when attached, it really doesn’t feel high quality. And having to dig out those little booster pieces for the L and R buttons for two-player Mario Kart, and attempting to slot those things on the correct side without getting them jammed... Great concept, cheap execution.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have Genki covert dock that I take with me when I travel and it makes it super simple to hook my Switch up to a hotel tv without having to carry a bunch of bulky junk around.

One thing I dislike about the ‘switchiness’ is having to pair the damned controllers every time. Why can’t I pick it up and play? Press L and R on the controllers you’re using… No, wait, that one is still starting up… Press A to continue…. Nope, forgot one of them, do it again…

Also mine was having some trouble keeping connected in handheld mode when I was playing Zelda. Every so often it would think I’d removed a controller and ask me to pair them up again, which involved removing them from the rails and slotting them back in to remind it I was playing handheld.

Plus they’ve always flexed slightly when attached, it really doesn’t feel high quality. And having to dig out those little booster pieces for the L and R buttons for two-player Mario Kart, and attempting to slot those things on the correct side without getting them jammed... Great concept, cheap execution.
Whenever I pick it up I just press the home and one of the d-pad buttons at the same time and it seems to just reconnect pretty automatically.

What did the slide on booster things even do? I've not used them yet. Is it just an ergonomic thing?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Many people have criticized the Joy-Cons. It's true that they have some technological issues, especially the right one. Even a slight obstruction can disrupt its synchronization. However, conceptually, it's a product that I really like. I often use them as a gamepad by attaching them to that "thing", and I find it very convenient. Sometimes I play Zelda with two separate Joy-Cons, and although it takes some getting used to, it's relaxing. The buttons and analog sticks are very cute and soft. After using the Joy-Con, when I switched to the DS4, everything felt too big, and I had a hard time adjusting.

I completely agree with the opinions of the fathers on the forum; thanks to the Joy-Con, my daughter and I enjoy playing local multiplayer games wherever we go.
It's good for other consoles to connect to the TV as well, but they don't seem to emphasize it as much. In the initial stages of Steam Deck announcements, it was mentioned, but then it wasn't talked about much. Asus is trying to sell their products with dedicated graphics cards, but they are very expensive. Perhaps people no longer prefer using them in this way. When I read the comments, I started considering buying a USB-C to HDMI adapter for the Switch. Maybe I can use it during my travels. However, there's an indescribable beauty in placing the Switch into the dock :)

I think the joycons are god-awful and I never use them, however being able to play with a pro controller docked and then just pick up the console and put it on the table in my kitchen on a stand, to seamlessly continue playing with my pro controller - is absolutely fantastic. I don't play games handheld so the joycons sucking doesn't bother me though.

Last edited:

Rykan

Everyone is buying the Switch probably because it's a decent handheld device which can run first party Nintendo games, but I'm grateful every day that I didn't get the Lite version.
Hi! Switch Lite defense force here: Switch Lite is secretly the best Switch!

Okay, maybe not, but the Switch Lite doesn't deserve to be snubbed like that. The Switch lite is significantly more comfortable to hold than an original Switch in handheld mode. It feels way more sturdy and it is lighter.

Oh, and it actually has a good, functional D - Pad.

I strongly recommend a Switch Lite as a secondary Switch, depending on your disposable income and budget of course. I really wish that they kept the TV connection functionality in there. Then it would be the ultimate Switch.

Last edited:

Rhazkul

I got a Switch Lite and thought about selling it several times. Should have bought the OLED version - but then - i am also not happy how Nintendo handles emulation and all that other paywalled crap. And Nintendo Games are almost never on a meaningful sale. Yeah, i am a cheap fuck (Switch lite, grabbing games only during sales, too greedy to pay for Nintendo Online) - i am trying to save money where ever i can. Don't judge me, times are rough and tough and i sadly can't shit out dollars yet.

Everyone is buying the Switch probably because it's a decent handheld device which can run first party Nintendo games, but I'm grateful every day that I didn't get the Lite version. The best feature of this device is the Switch mechanism(plus a pair of joycon). You might say 'duh', but I think this feature isn't highlighted as much as it used to be. If possible, I would love to play all my games on a console with this feature. I've already expanded my Switch library quite a bit.

I don't take my Switch everywhere with me, but being able to easily switch rooms within my home, carry entertainment easily when visiting another house or going on vacation, is a great convenience. It wasn't long ago when I used to fill half of my suitcase with my PS3/4 or laptop.

Other companies are trying to compete with it by releasing their own handheld consoles, but what they really need is implement this practical solution to their devices. It's the most enjoyable way to play games or watch something. Steam Deck and Ally can also connect to a dock, but you have to pay extra for it, plus they need an extra controller (or two). Moreover, it is doubtful whether the games are optimized to work in this way.

I hope Nintendo doesn't give up on this feature and start producing only handheld consoles. Due to my arms and neck, I can't play it for long periods of time on handheld mode. And I don't want to miss out the joy of playing on a big screen.

Come to think of it, it would be amazing to have a gaming phone with Switch-like features(dock plus joycons).

What do you think about Switch mechanism?

Part of the point of the Switch was to consolidate both software divisions into one. That was mentioned long before the Switch was introduced.

Hi! Switch Lite defense force here: Switch Lite is secretly the best Switch!

Okay, maybe not, but the Switch Lite doesn't deserve to be snubbed like that. The Switch lite is significantly more comfortable to hold than an original Switch in handheld mode. It feels way more sturdy and it is lighter.

Oh, and it actually has a good, functional D - Pad.

I strongly recommend a Switch Lite as a secondary Switch, depending on your disposable income and budget of course. I really wish that they kept the TV connection functionality in there. Then it would be the ultimate Switch.

Nintendo needed a more portable Switch, because the regular/OLED is too big to pocket. What I liked about their prior handhelds, following the original brick Game Boy at least, was that you could put them in your pocket and play on the go without having to carry it around in a mini-bag or backpack.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think the hybrid nature of the switch is what helped launch it as a "value" proposition on day one. Which is why I'm perplexed that Sony or Ms are so fearfull to launch thier own, it's that same dual use nature that would propell thier new handheld from day one.
The similar archtechture to current gen means day and date games with minimal effort as well.

calistan

Whenever I pick it up I just press the home and one of the d-pad buttons at the same time and it seems to just reconnect pretty automatically.

What did the slide on booster things even do? I've not used them yet. Is it just an ergonomic thing?
Maybe it's because I'm frequently swtiching between docked and handheld modes. Probably why the connectors seems to be a bit unreliable too.

The slide-on thing is purely ergonomic, I find playing Mario Kart without one is agony. With one, just mildly painful. It only fits one way, so if you push it on the wrong side it gets wedged.

Also, as weird as both sticks being above the buttons is at first, ergonomically it works better and I don’t know why they got rid of that design for the Joycons because my right thumb would feel much more comfortable if the right stick was higher.
It's so both sides are usable when detached.

GymWolf

I would argue it is the worst aspect.

Too big for being an actual portable (way bigger than something like a gameboy or psp)

Too weak for being an home console

The form factor brought to us the joycons, arguably the worst controller of any main console ever

But people seems happy with it so who knows.

TLZ

Banned
What controller do you use?

Many people have criticized the Joy-Cons. It's true that they have some technological issues, especially the right one. Even a slight obstruction can disrupt its synchronization. However, conceptually, it's a product that I really like. I often use them as a gamepad by attaching them to that "thing", and I find it very convenient. Sometimes I play Zelda with two separate Joy-Cons, and although it takes some getting used to, it's relaxing. The buttons and analog sticks are very cute and soft. After using the Joy-Con, when I switched to the DS4, everything felt too big, and I had a hard time adjusting.

I completely agree with the opinions of the fathers on the forum; thanks to the Joy-Con, my daughter and I enjoy playing local multiplayer games wherever we go.
It's good for other consoles to connect to the TV as well, but they don't seem to emphasize it as much. In the initial stages of Steam Deck announcements, it was mentioned, but then it wasn't talked about much. Asus is trying to sell their products with dedicated graphics cards, but they are very expensive. Perhaps people no longer prefer using them in this way. When I read the comments, I started considering buying a USB-C to HDMI adapter for the Switch. Maybe I can use it during my travels. However, there's an indescribable beauty in placing the Switch into the dock :)
Team joycon here also, I love them! I could see is they could be small and uncomfortable for some, but they are nearly perfect for me. I love the size and how they feel, I love playing them with one in each hand, screen propped on a table or bed. I play most games with the system docked and using the mid attachment to make a "real controller". I got a pro controller with the system but I've barely used it for anything - be it Zelda, Metroid, whatever, I almost always prefer using the two joycons on the GamePad attachment thing to make a controller.

The only complaint is sometimes playing in handheld mode I will get a bit fatigued if the game requires studious use of the trigger buttons. Maybe it's the way I'm holding it but it feels taxing after a bit, so usually I'll just play with the GamePad device attachment if I know the game is trigger happy.

I thought when I got it I would never take it off the dock - I wanted a home console and I'm not a big portable guy (I buy/own tons, like PSP GBA GBc gg etc, but I usually use television adapters to play them on big screen), but I found I love moving around with the Switch. Even more awesome, if my daughter is playing something on the dock and I want to jump on Playstation, GameCube, Genesis or whatever on television, she can just undock and keep on rolling while I also play what I want! Love having a couple docks throughout the house to just instantly pop on whatever screen I want! Hard to think of how I'd love it any more except maybe unified online login that I could use my saves on any given unit at any given time instead of "transferring" them.

jcorb

The Switch was absolutely a game-changer by making a legitimate "mobile" *gaming* platform. I do agree that the joycons kind of suck as controllers, but they're serviceable until you invest in a better solution. Personally, I use my Switch EXCLUSIVELY in handheld mode, and getting the Hori Split Pad Pro made a world of difference (before that, I just had a protective grip, which was also a huge improvement over the joycons themselves).

Obviously, you shouldn't have to rely on a third-party solution for a comfortable gaming experience, so I definitely think better standard controllers are the biggest room for improvement on the "Switch 2" or whatever Nintendo's next console winds up being.

mopspear

I wish the normal Switch was the Switch Lite. The normal Switch feels too big to be used much as a handheld. When I got married and my wife moved in, she brought her Lite and I'm lite, this is amazing and the size it should have always been. I got the OLED Switch though so with the big stand so I do use that on a table sometimes with a pro-controller when she's watching her stories.

Top Bottom