• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 5+ day work week is complete bullshit

Sounds great, but I am still going to work those extra days because I want better stuff
Yep that's great too if you want/need that.
Work week should be 32 hours a week, MT and RF
Yeah I think a 32 or 36 hour week would make for the best balance. I'd personally rather cram all the hours into as few days as possible. Like do 3x 12 hour shifts would be good for me. 4x8 would also be great.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I get it OP. I work in Logistics. No one dreams of growing up to do this job, but it pays the bills and someone has to do it.

My suggestion is to narrow down your hobbies. Reduce it down to what you truly care about. You're going to drive yourself insane otherwise. No point yelling at the system. It is what it is.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
You're absolutely right OP. I'd absolutely work more hours per day if it resulted in working 4 days a week.
And for vast majority of knowledge workers you would be absolutely unproductive during hours 8-10 of the day, making the company in fact loose 1/5 of its employee output. Good luck with that.

4-day week is a pipe dream for government employees or other heavily unionised sectors - if you are already working like shit, why not work less?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Yep that's great too if you want/need that.
No problem, I understand you are perfectly fine with taking a hit on your salary in order to have more free time?
No? Because that money has to come from somewhere, and it sure as hell not going to be me.

Rejected Red Oaks GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I agree, I have 3 8'oclock finishes and two 6'oclock.
This practically takes up the whole day and leaves very little time for yourself

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yea, I do 6 days a week and it fucking sucks. One positive I can pull from it, I have no free time to spend my money so it just accumulates. I would leave my job but I’m making great money and have good benefits.

Worst part is, if I take an extra day off as one day is technically optional, my salty coworkers are like “enjoy your vacation”.

NecrosaroIII

And for vast majority of knowledge workers you would be absolutely unproductive during hours 8-10 of the day, making the company in fact loose 1/5 of its employee output. Good luck with that.

4-day week is a pipe dream for government employees or other heavily unionised sectors - if you are already working like shit, why not work less?

Works well in shift work. Many of my coworkers are 4-10. I know from their metrics, which are published as part of a competition we have, that they're working pretty steadily. Plus in my industry you don't have a chance to stop. There is always constant movement and updates.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Works well in shift work. Many of my coworkers are 4-10. I know from their metrics, which are published as part of a competition we have, that they're working pretty steadily. Plus in my industry you don't have a chance to stop. There is always constant movement and updates.
So manual work? I can imagine 4-10 will work quite well in this case.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
She will learn a valuable lesson then.

Yeah but on the other hand, and not bragging but just being practical, she is super hot so gets easy passes everywhere. Her life is super easy because of that so who knows maybe she will be far less miserable there, like it has always been for her.
Damn I am jealous of my own wife lol. She got selected even in this senior role after just one interview and I fail to recall a single job she didn't get selected for after a face to face interview. I truly do get jealous sometimes :p
Or maybe I am wrong and she is just super talented. Who knows. I completely digress.

NecrosaroIII

So manual work? I can imagine 4-10 will work quite well in this case.
Not necessary what I'd call manual. I work from a computer setting up shipments, dispatching drivers, quoting, relaying information and monitoring transportation.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Not necessary what I'd call manual. I work from a computer setting up shipments, dispatching drivers, quoting, relaying information and monitoring transportation.
Ok, what I meant is a series of repetitive tasks. I get paid to think so if I’m tired my added value is 0.

Outlier

I work m-f usually 10-12 hours per day as a trucker, bit most of that time is spent listening to podcasts and audiobooks.
That would be AWFUL for me. I can barely sit in my chair and play games for 4+ hours would my body wanting to break down. No way I'll ever do that kind of work.

Short recount:
I mentioned in a thread a long time ago about how a couple years ago I proposed to our manager a 4D-10H schedule for myself (due to frequent overtime).

They considered it and decided to apply it to everyone on the team with majority vote in favor. I loved the extra day off and I was happier, but some of the others took it for granted.

Many were still doing call-ins, so after 6 months management said that it wasn't working out and went back to the 5D-8H.

in Conclusion I 100% support trading more hours for more days!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I work anywhere from 8 to 12 hours during the week and average about 50 hours per week, sometimes more if we work Saturdays (which is quite often this year)... It takes me 2 hours to get to work and 2 hours from to get home.

I HAVE to work all those hours just afford a place to live (not fancy and not over $900), food and necessities like electricity and toiletries.

I don't buy myself any treats (games and such) because of Everything I have to do at work and home (taking care of my ex as she can no longer walk). It's a lot.

I have no time for myself unless I can get some time away if I don't work on a Saturday.

MacReady13

I'm 41 years of age. For most of my working life (since 15 years of age) I have done the standard 5 day working week BUT, for about 5 years there when I was around 28 years of age I did a 4 day working week. I worked a few more hours than the standard 38 (I did around 43 hours a week) BUT, god damn was I so much happier having 3 days off per week! I was fantastic and highly recommend the 4 day work week. If I could get it where I am now I would be in heaven!

Kenpachii

I personally think that work hours should include work time. If 8 hours is the max for a day, we should have 1 hour off that from travel time so that u actually work 8 hours instead of 9-10 because travel and other stuff.

We also need more flexible work hours for example, u can do a 10 hour day or a 12 hour day and take those 4 hours off from another day.

I'm 41 years of age. For most of my working life (since 15 years of age) I have done the standard 5 day working week BUT, for about 5 years there when I was around 28 years of age I did a 4 day working week. I worked a few more hours than the standard 38 (I did around 43 hours a week) BUT, god damn was I so much happier having 3 days off per week! I was fantastic and highly recommend the 4 day work week. If I could get it where I am now I would be in heaven!
Yep pretty similar here. This is the first time I've ever done a 4 day work week and I love it.
I work anywhere from 8 to 12 hours during the week and average about 50 hours per week, sometimes more if we work Saturdays (which is quite often this year)... It takes me 2 hours to get to work and 2 hours from to get home.

I HAVE to work all those hours just afford a place to live (not fancy and not over $900), food and necessities like electricity and toiletries.

I don't buy myself any treats (games and such) because of Everything I have to do at work and home (taking care of my ex as she can no longer walk). It's a lot.

I have no time for myself unless I can get some time away if I don't work on a Saturday.
Ouch that sounds tough. I hope everything goes ok for you. You should NOT have to work 50 hours per week to barely get by. Nobody should.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hated my last job because it was 8-5 and then 8-7 two days a week and 4 hours on the weekend. This lasted for 4-5 months out of the year and then 8-5 was the norm. I had good PTO, so some days I’d take PTO, hide somewhere, and then drive home at 5 to make it appear that I was working instead of goofing off. I dreaded going into work. It felt like it was where I lived. My wife and I were working on paying off debt at the time and she tried controlling my PTO. Long story, but she doesn’t do it anymore. Yeah, I like my job now because even if I have late nights. My work lets me off early the next day. I can always drive home from a client at 3 and be done. As long as I please the customer. I’d much rather work 4 days and then have a 3 day weekend. Mentally, that would be a huge relief. Working 8-5, knowing that this will never change for the next 30 years is depressing. I already see people at nursing home clients of mine and I wonder if they were chained to a desk for most of their lives.

Blade2.0

I get it OP. I work in Logistics. No one dreams of growing up to do this job, but it pays the bills and someone has to do it.

My suggestion is to narrow down your hobbies. Reduce it down to what you truly care about. You're going to drive yourself insane otherwise. No point yelling at the system. It is what it is.
Umm the system can be changed if enough of us yell about it. I mean the 5 day work week didn't materialize because people were benevolent. We fought for that shit.

NecrosaroIII

Umm the system can be changed if enough of us yell about it. I mean the 5 day work week didn't materialize because people were benevolent. We fought for that shit.

I don't think most people see it as a problem though. My coworkers and I talk about taking off and they're like "I could either stay at home playing video games or I can make money. I'd rather make money". I dont think most people want more free time. They wouldn't know what to do with the time.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fewer days the better for workers because they'll work less. It's like summer half day Fridays at every company I've worked at. You're supposed to work an extra half hour Mon-Thurs to make up leaving work Friday at 1 pm.

Nobody does. Everyone leaves at the normal time Mon-Thurs. Even the bosses.

JayK47

My job would never allow it. We do consulting and the expectation is to be available 5 days a week. Best I could do is half days Friday. I try to cut out by 2pm but it never happens. Typically closer to 3pm and that is getting close to a full day. I recently heard my brother was doing 3 day weeks with full benefits. Lucky. I would love that.

NecrosaroIII

I've been working from home for over a year. I can't go back to the way it was anymore. I won't survive.
The commute, being locked up in an office for 8 hours. Two dozen co-workers talking non-stop.
I'm the same way. I like my coworkers just fine. But I'm also okay just talking to them via slack.

I'd adapt but I much prefer current status

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've been working from home for over a year. I can't go back to the way it was anymore. I won't survive.
The commute, being locked up in an office for 8 hours. Two dozen co-workers talking non-stop.
When our office opens up (who knows when), I want half and half. I cant wait to get out a drive more and see people and go out for lunch more. But my commute is pretty short. I'm hoping we get to pick how we want it instead of the CEO doing a blanket policy, since I definitely dont want to be forced to drive to work in the snow.

Wunray

I agree 4 day work weeks are the sweet spot, since covid I had this work schedule and 4 days on and 3 days off are amazing

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For you 4 day/week workers, does the company typically make everyone work the same schedule? Or people get to pick which 4 days to work?

I ask because since I do finance, sometimes I get urgent requests that need turnaround fast. I cant tell them (sorry it's my day 5 day off) if we are working on different 4 day skeds. But if everyone has the same sked then it would be ok.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Five day work weeks do suck. I am on 4-10's now, and while it's a bit better, it's still too many hours. Study after study has found that for the vast majority of jobs productivity drops off a cliff after about six hours. Also, we need to go back to factoring breaks and lunch into the workday. Remember that old saying "a nine-to-five"? Now it's an eight-to-five, or nine-to-six, because they refuse to include the hour long break into the day (at least in the US).

Yeah but on the other hand, and not bragging but just being practical, she is super hot so gets easy passes everywhere. Her life is super easy because of that so who knows maybe she will be far less miserable there, like it has always been for her.
Damn I am jealous of my own wife lol. She got selected even in this senior role after just one interview and I fail to recall a single job she didn't get selected for after a face to face interview. I truly do get jealous sometimes :p
Or maybe I am wrong and she is just super talented. Who knows. I completely digress.
Off topic but this sounds like my wife as well lol. I'm a complete introvert and socially stunted and she walks in and is friends with the whole room within an hour. I'm like wtf ...how do some people do that shit. Looks are probably a very large part of it.

Last edited:

bronkonagurski

Gold Member
My current job is technically a 5 day work week plus the occasional weekend work but 1) it is project work and 2) full-time work from home so while I am technically online 5 days a week, I have a lot of flexibility in how I get the work done. As long as I meet my deadlines and attend required meetings, nobody gives a fuck. No commute, if a day is slow (no meetings and no immediate deadlines) I can get relax and do some gaming, run errands, whatever. Had to grind many years to get to this point so I feel like I earned it.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Off topic but this sounds like my wife as well lol. I'm a complete introvert and socially stunted and she walks in and is friends with the whole room within an hour. I'm like wtf ...how do some people do that shit. Looks are probably a very large part of it.

Looks definitely are a huge part of it. And its a positive feedback loop anyway. You are good looking chick so all guys in the room will practically run each other over trying to talk to you. Everyone's attention will be at you. A group will gather around you and everyone will listen to you etc. This gives immense confidence and soon you have both looks and confidence- an absolutely killer combo.

This works for guys too but to a much lesser extent. I was a 6.5-7 till 2014 but then joined gym and focused on styling and soon the attention was through the roof. Its a high that is tough to describe. Its amazing. But my general nature since my childhood was introvert only so I never reached the level of extrovertness and confidence my wife has. Nevertheless the boost in my confidence was day and night. Thats how I actually was able to get my current wife as my girlfriend, otherwise before she was completely out of my league :p.

On the other hand what we guys have on our side is age. Girls loose their looks rapidly as they approach 40. And as long as we guys maintain a good head of hair and focus on fitness and styling, we age like fine wine and only get better. Add the maturity and wisdom of age and young girls, if thats what one desires, fall head over heels for middle-aged guys.

Last edited:

plushyp

This is where I am at as well.
Love my job. Work 5 days a week, often I will go in on the weekends just to get more work done and further my research. It’s stimulating, ever changing, and something I genuinely love to do.

Sadly most jobs are not like mine and I do feel for them. All I can say is, if possible, pursue and work towards a dream job/career. Will make your days even better.
Nice, what job do you do?

tusharngf

I feel for you OP. I have worked with a IT firm where 4 days off 4 days work was in the schedule. The only problem was 12hrs shift. But man 4 days off feels like pretty awesome to the body. I can do anything in that period even a small trip.

Winter John

I usually do around 12 - 14 hours a day. Before the pandemic I used to think how great it would be to retire, but Covid cured me of that delusion. Maybe I'll feel different about it in 20 - 30 years, but for now I'm happy to be back at work again

Papacheeks

Banned
I have an honest question for everyone participating in this thread....

Honestly how old are some of you currently?

Just curious.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So many people at my work still think we should all be in the office cuz "thats the way it always has been". I cant imagine their reaction if they heard this talk. But yeah 5 days working and 2 off is insane
I like being at the office. Then again my commute isnt very long.

Being at the office has its perks too. You get to talk to people face to face like real people, the servers are faster than doing VPN. I like going out to lunch with the gang.

And most important of all. You're there. So meetings, and having that person's ass at the office I can actually get hold of them.

With WFH, half the people are "Away" on their status. And somehow at 10 pm or 2pm they've been Away for 3 hours. If this was the office, I know they're there and if I have an important question to ask them, they're at your seat and I dont have to play cat and mouse with them for days waiting for them to reply or have a green Active status showing they're finally working.

Its been 10x harder getting people to reply to stuff during WFH.

Last edited:

Tschumi

*a quiet moment for people who live in countries where this kind of bullishness about free time simply doesn't fly*

NecrosaroIII

Looks definitely are a huge part of it. And its a positive feedback loop anyway. You are good looking chick so all guys in the room will practically run each other over trying to talk to you. Everyone's attention will be at you. A group will gather around you and everyone will listen to you etc. This gives immense confidence and soon you have both looks and confidence- an absolutely killer combo.

This works for guys too but to a much lesser extent. I was a 6.5-7 till 2014 but then joined gym and focused on styling and soon the attention was through the roof. Its a high that is tough to describe. Its amazing. But my general nature since my childhood was introvert only so I never reached the level of extrovertness and confidence my wife has. Nevertheless the boost in my confidence was day and night. Thats how I actually was able to get my current wife as my girlfriend, otherwise before she was completely out of my league :p.

On the other hand what we guys have on our side is age. Girls loose their looks rapidly as they approach 40. And as long as we guys maintain a good head of hair and focus on fitness and styling, we age like fine wine and only get better. Add the maturity and wisdom of age and young girls, if thats what one desires, fall head over heels for middle-aged guys.
Eh, hair is overrated. Also there are tons of hot 40 year olds out there

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Fewer days the better for workers because they'll work less. It's like summer half day Fridays at every company I've worked at. You're supposed to work an extra half hour Mon-Thurs to make up leaving work Friday at 1 pm.

Nobody does. Everyone leaves at the normal time Mon-Thurs. Even the bosses.
Please tell me what job makes you leave at 3pm on a Friday.

Top Bottom