• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 5+ day work week is complete bullshit

Some people are lazy.

It's like some of the under-30 newbies at work who didn't want to come in for meetings. This was years back before covid and the boss is basically arguing with the guy why he doesn't want to come in like everyone else.

You never get this with veteran workers. They all show up. And the young people who complain about this kind of entitlement are all unmarried with no kids. So it' not like some crisis school drop off or babysitting issue at home. If there's anyone out there who should be able to wake up and get off their ass to work are single people with no kids.

People also forget that a 40 hour week isn't even 40 hours of work. And a week has 168 hours in it.

Minus off lunch break, morning and afternoon breaks, every job has downtime where people chat, surf the net or stand around doing nothing (the maintenance guy at work sits in the cafe surfing his phone when he's got nothing to do).

After you minus off all the food breaks and goofing around, the average person probably only works 30 hours at most.
Meetings are bullshit. A literal waste of your life. Also add commute and overtime and you're easily blasting past 40 hours. Lunch breaks also officially don't count as work, that's why an official workday is 8.5 hours (at least where I live).

Droxcy

Ok snowflake

Yeah because being around a bunch of morons, bosses and people you don’t like at work and then driving in traffic that makes you even more miserable. Job market is saturated with poor talent in the field because all of us with brains want/deserve to work from home because performance should be the only thing jobs look at. This isn’t boomer central anymore where people dedicate 10 years to a company for nothing in return.

Davey Cakes

I’d be down for a 4-day work week. Being in an office for 10+ hours a day sounds like a slog, but my current job doing physical labor would be more tolerable since the time goes by faster.

Davey Cakes

I work 6 days a week, sometimes 7. But I work from the privacy of my own home at my own will for myself. I guess this is different than working a regular 9 to 5, 5 days a week?
The funny thing is that “9 to 5” isn’t even a real thing.

Depending on how the company handles lunch breaks, it’s more like “9 to 5:30” or “9 to 6.” Then there’s the time you put into bathing, dressing, and commuting. We’re talking “8 to 7” at that point for some people. If you’re working a 40-hour week WITHOUT overtime, you’re still basically dedicating 50 hours a week to your job.

WFH saves so much time and allows for so much more flexibility. It’s crazy.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Meetings are bullshit. A literal waste of your life. Also add commute and overtime and you're easily blasting past 40 hours. Lunch breaks also officially don't count as work, that's why an official workday is 8.5 hours (at least where I live).
My job is 9-5. Everyone gets 1 hr lunch too. And half day Fridays during the summer, which nobody works longer Mon-Thu to make up for it. Even all the execs leave at normal time.

Add in all the downtime and surfing the net (like I am now), and I'd say my 40 hours is easily down to 30 hours or less working from home.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The funny thing is that “9 to 5” isn’t even a real thing.

Depending on how the company handles lunch breaks, it’s more like “9 to 5:30” or “9 to 6.” Then there’s the time you put into bathing, dressing, and commuting. We’re talking “8 to 7” at that point for some people. If you’re working a 40-hour week WITHOUT overtime, you’re still basically dedicating 50 hours a week to your job.

WFH saves so much time and allows for so much more flexibility. It’s crazy.
Adding in commute and dressing time, depends if someone wants to include it or not. Your boss wouldnt classify workers doing a 9-5 job being 8-6 due to commute. That would be like saying a two hour movie is really 3.5 hours when you factor in driving there and sitting in the seat early to watch previews and lining up to buy food before it starts.

WFH saves time and gas, but it' not great for other things. Online meetings are a joke half the time, and anyone who uses the servers a lot (like me), it takes a lot more time to do files VPNing then being connected direct at work where things fly fast.

Top Bottom