• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The “Xbox experience” stops Halo on PS5 or Switch, says Phil Spencer.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Xbox head Phil Spencer said he isn’t considering the use of Microsoft Game Stack to release first-party titles like Halo on other platforms. According to Spencer, consoles including the PS5 and Switch wouldn’t offer the full “Xbox experience” that gamers expect from the brand.

Microsoft Game Stack was announced earlier in the year, a “device agnostic” service that has the ability to bring full Xbox Live support to platforms beyond Xbox and Windows PC. Though we’ve seen it in play — at least in part — on Xbox Game Studios titles published to the Nintendo Switch, Spencer says that support doesn’t equate to “the full Xbox experience”.

“We have done some work on the Switch with Ori [and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition] and Cuphead… and Minecraft’s obviously there,” acknowledged Spencer, speaking with Stevivor at X019 in London. “But I’d say our strategy is really to think about the full Xbox experience; we want that full Xbox experience to be amazing.”

“When you think about other hardware platforms, I’d want to think, holistically, is there an opportunity to bring all of Xbox there? And in most cases the other partners probably aren’t that interested in the whole Xbox ecosystem coming onto their hardware,” Spencer said.

That notion of the Xbox experience is precisely the reason why upcoming titles like Halo: Infinite won’t be multi-platform beyond Microsoft’s own ecosystem.

Halo is such a great example — such an intrinsic part of Xbox,” Spencer said, praising it for its part in “the evolution of Xbox Live” alongside the Xbox brand itself.

“I don’t want to get into this world where we… pick apart [an IP] because then we lose the ability to build a cohesive experience,” he continued. “We lose the ability for those services to provide value… if we don’t have the full Xbox experience to bring to our customers.”

This is very strange, why is he speaking in circles? Just say people who want it are dumb and it doesn't make any sense to put Xbox games on competing platforms that Microsoft has no control and the same for the other two. Why make an unnecessary statement with an elaborate excuse?

trikster40

Well, Phil, the Xbox experience is why I don’t prefer Xbox.

They opened a Pandora’s box publishing those games on other platforms (which was actually brilliant, tbh). Just quit using this PR speak and say it truthfully: If you want Halo, buy an Xbox. We aren’t putting our top tier game’s on other systems. Period. No Forza, No Gears, No Halo, If they ever do that, they just may as well stop making hardware.

MilkyJoe

This is very strange, why is he speaking in circles? Just say people who want it are dumb and it doesn't make any sense to put Xbox games on competing platforms that Microsoft has no control and the same for the other two. Why make an unnecessary statement with an elaborate excuse?

Mainstream media are complete fuckwits.

FranXico

We have done some work on the Switch with Ori [and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition] and Cuphead… and Minecraft’s obviously there,” acknowledged Spencer, speaking with Stevivor at X019 in London. “But I’d say our strategy is really to think about the full Xbox experience; we want that full Xbox experience to be amazing.

That's understandable, Sony says the same kind of thing about protecting their prized IPs.
Content exclusivity (within reason) is an asset.

They're all the same, friends. Business gonna business.

Top Bottom