• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell Microsoft which Xbox games you want to play on 360!

No Marvel vs Capcom 2? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I voted Shenmue II, Psychonauts, Morrowind, and Street Fighter: AC. Though really, they should just make em all work.

Framerate boosts? That seems risky...

That's treading into different territory.

Nothing risky there...some games, depending on how they are coded, will benefit from a faster cpu, faster gpu, maybe even more memory. You test it out, and if it works OK, you define the faster settings in the emulation profile for that specific game.

When I play Metal Slug games (emulated) on my PC, I speed up the virtual CPU to eliminate slowdown. When I play Wipeout Pure on my PSP, I speed up the real CPU and bus and get a framerate boost...

olimario

Banned
It may have been asked already, but what gives?! I thought MS already said all XBOX titles would be BC. It'll be a damn shame if they aren't.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
How would Steel Battalion even work? I mean, there aren't Xbox conroller ports on the new machine, are there?

trmas

Banned
I only need the Bioware games, Panzer, and Conker to be compatible. Panzer with upgraded textures and such (real emulator) would completely own half of the 360 launch currently.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nothing risky there...some games, depending on how they are coded, will benefit from a faster cpu, faster gpu, maybe even more memory.
Yes, but this only works when limits aren't in place. It could eliminate slowdown, but I was thinking that you were actually suggesting a boost to 60 fps or something. Doom 3 can go no higher than 30 fps on XBOX.

NONE, the xbox is for homos

You are so cool.

Doom 3 can go no higher than 30 fps on XBOX.

Sadly, it can't sustain it much of the time. Eliminating the slowdown would boost the average framerate.

I was thinking that you were actually suggesting a boost to 60 fps or something

Well, iD could be really nice and give us a patched executable via DLC, but I'm certainly not expecting that.

jedimike

olimario said:
It may have been asked already, but what gives?! I thought MS already said all XBOX titles would be BC. It'll be a damn shame if they aren't.

MS said the goal was to have all games BC. As you know, a goal is a destination. It takes time and resources to meet that goal. The list che provided is for launch day. The list is above and beyond the game MS has already completed. These are games that need special code and MS employees have to go through the game one by one to make it work.

So far...

List A leaders - Burnout, Riddick, Half-Life 2, Shenmue II, and 4 others tied for 5th.

List B leaders - BG&E, JSRF, PDO, Psychonauts, and 3 others tied for 5th

dark10x

Sadly, it can't sustain it much of the time. Eliminating the slowdown would boost the average framerate.
Are you sure you're thinking of the right game? Doom 3 on XBOX actually managed to hold 30 fps the majority of the time. I don't know where you're getting the idea that it was anything else. That was one of the most impressive things to me, as I expected tons of slowdown.

Are you sure you're thinking of the right game? Doom 3 on XBOX actually managed to hold 30 fps the majority of the time. I don't know where you're getting the idea that it was anything else. That was one of the most impressive things to me, as I expected tons of slowdown.

Do you play with four players a lot?

It definitely chugs when all the players are in the same room and the action is heavy. Multiplayer is when you really need framerate to stay high. My opponents have commented on the same thing, so it's not my Xbox.

dark10x

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Do you play with four players a lot?

It definitely chugs when all the players are in the same room and the action is heavy. Multiplayer is when you really need framerate to stay high. My opponents have commented on the same thing, so it's not my Xbox.
OK, I've never even tried multiplayer Doom 3. In single player, it's a very solid 30 fps.

shuri

Banned
I voted for these:
Steel Battalion and SB:Line of Contact
Phantom Dust
Street Fighter AC
The Punisher :|

IJoel

CURSES! Can't pick Orta 5 times! >:

Oh well...

Set A:
Amped 2
Crimson Skies
Half-Life 2
MotoGP3
Unreal Championship 2

Set B:
Jet Set Radio Future
Morrowind GOTY Edition
Otogi 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Dust

raYne

just pd0 and all the 2d fighting games.
Heh, did a double take on that one... pd0? Perfect Dark Zero? the hell? :lol

Too much talking, not enough voting. Don't let Diddy catch you guy.... uh too late...
img_pdiddycombs.jpg

vote or die muthafucka, muthafucka vote or die
rock the vote or else I'm gonna stick a knife through your eye
democracy is founded on one simple rule
get out there and vote or I will muthafuckin kill you

yea

I like it when you vote bitch (bitch)
Shake them titties when you vote bitch (bitch)
I slam my jimmy through your mouth roof (mouth roof)
Now get yo big ass in the polling booth

I said vote, bitch, Or I fuckin kill you

vote or die muthafucka, muthafucka vote or die
you can't run from a .38 go ahead and try
let your opinion be heard, you gotta make a choice
cause after I slit your throat, you won't have a fuckin voice

vote or die
VOTE OR DIE!

raYne

Mrbob said:
This is dumb. Here is your motivation to make all games BC MS:

ps-meeting-2005-fun-with-slides-part-iii-20050722101609165.jpg
Why the hell does every thread fall apart?... :lol

MS' only motivation is to get people to stfu about there not being BC in the 360 (as was the initial plan). So now we get comments about it being "half-assed" and "all or nothing M$!".

You just can't please people...

Mrbob

raYne said:

MS' only motivation is to get people to stfu about there not being BC in the 360 (as was the initial plan). So now we get comments about it being "half-assed" and "all or nothing M$!".

Yeah, MS screwed up so they should get a free pass. Great.

raYne

Mrbob said:
Yeah, MS screwed up so they should get a free pass. Great.
You're right. They should never bothered to follow up in BC in the first place, surely then people wouldn't criticize that decision... Oh wait...

Anyhow, topic side-track over. Go vote people!

Mrbob

raYne said:
You're right. They should never bothered to follow up in BC in the first place, surely then people wouldn't criticize that decision... Oh wait...

MS knew the rules of the game going into next gen. They don't want to adapt then they should be left out.

Actually, they probably don't since they've made screw up upon screw up since X360 unveiled.

dark10x

raYne said:

They would be criticized if they didn't offer BC...and they will be criticized if they don't support 99% of the library. Anything but near 100% compatibility will be viewed as a failure on their part.

Based on the typical customer response from folks reserving the 360 at various game stores, the lack of full support will come as a suprise to many people...

IJoel

raYne said:

You know, I agree with you in concept.

That said, after reading from the OXM that Xbox 360 would ship with about 5 games being BC (this is rumored,) I now agree with El Senor Bob. Half Assed. I was expecting something akin to 30 to 50 titles being BC on launch with the promise of many more to come. I now doubt that.

SuperPac

Why is Steel Battalion on the list if you can't plug XB1 controllers into the 360? There's really no point to it. Oh, and I can't believe that they're asking about stuff like Burnout Revenge and Half-Life 2. If they're that new then yes they should be compatible. :p

rastex

Banned
dark10x said:
Based on the typical customer response from folks reserving the 360 at various game stores, the lack of full support will come as a suprise to many people...
Probably not, since the people who are unaware of the incompatible games are the same people who wouldn't have incompatible games anyway. That's the point.

dark10x

rastex said:
Probably not, since the people who are unaware of the incompatible games are the same people who wouldn't have incompatible games anyway. That's the point.
We'll see about that...

I wouldn't expect to see games such as those from Team Ninja, for example...but perhaps they'll figure it out.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
MS gleefully fucks over the security in their own operating system products to allow backwards compatibility, I don't understand why they are so half assed on BC for game consoles.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
dark10x said:
Err, why should we be making this choice? They already have the nVidia chip in there, don't they? It should run ALL games (or at least 99% of them).

I could possibly forgive them IF the games that DO run end up supporting 720p or something (custom enhancements on a per game basis kinda thing).

What are you talking about? AFAIK, MS needs to custom create code for each and every game that wants to be backwards compatible with 360.

As for enhancements... we'll just have to wait and see.

chespace

dark10x said:
We'll see about that...

I wouldn't expect to see games such as those from Team Ninja, for example...but perhaps they'll figure it out.

The Team Ninja games were left off the list for a reason.... :)

dark10x

chespace said:
What are you talking about? AFAIK, MS needs to custom create code for each and every game that wants to be backwards compatible with 360.

As for enhancements... we'll just have to wait and see.
Yeah, see, I had thought that the nVidia chip was to actually be included in the hardware...but that turned out NOT to be the case. I can understand their situation, but it does remain disappointing.

chespace

dark10x said:
Yeah, see, I had thought that the nVidia chip was to actually be included in the hardware...but that turned out NOT to be the case. I can understand their situation, but it does remain disappointing.

Yes, but if the games are enhanced, will you be less disappointed? :)

chespace

IJoel said:
Quit playing games with my heart.

I'm just saying if they're custom coding emulation for every game, it's a real possibility there could be enhancements. What those enhancements are (better framerate? better graphics?), well I'm guessing we'll find out at X05.

I voted primarily for fighting games and other multiplayer stuff, since that's what will get the most play in the living room where the 360 will be set up. I figure once I get a 360 I'll move the regular xbox into my bedroom, and I can still play everything that's unsupported there.

IJoel

chespace said:
I'm just saying if they're custom coding emulation for every game, it's a real possibility there could be enhancements. What those enhancements are (better framerate? better graphics?), well I'm guessing we'll find out at X05.

Yes, the thought crossed my mind, though I don't expect it because MS has been quite disappointing delivering feature-wise with Xbox 360.

I do expect the framerate to be more consistent (locked to either 30 or 60 fps on most cases.) In terms of IQ, I don't think we'll see anything other than AA and possibly the resolution being scaled to HD, though obviously not natively supported by the game.

Top Bottom