• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tell Microsoft which Xbox games you want to play on 360!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
When it comes to determining backwards compatibility, the ball is entirely in Microsoft's court. As you'd expect, they've already baked-in all the no-brainer Xbox games that will work on 360 (e.g., Halo 1 and 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Fable, etc.), but with the Xbox 360 launch just around the corner this November, the boys from Redmond are unofficially reaching out to the gaming community to learn what remaining games Xbox fans would like to see backwards compatible on Xbox 360. So 1UP.com is gonna help them out and ask the gaming community at large, as to which of the following Xbox games they'd want to see on 360 -- day one, out of the box.

We present 80 worthy Xbox titles that they're still on the fence about. 80 games that will, over the course of the next 5 days, battle it out to the death. While there are no guarantees that the top 10 or 20 games will make it into the backwards compatibility list, or even what the cut-off number will be for the top titles, the stakes here are unquestionably high. To be sure, Microsoft will be checking out these results to gauge consumer interest in many of these excellent games. And they will act accordingly. So know that your vote will make a difference in the final outcome.

Go vote for your favorite Xbox games now...

http://xbox360poll.1up.com

p.s. psychonauts and phantom dust deserve your love.

p.p.s. if your favorite game isn't on this list and it's a title that's fairly popular or a mainstay of the Xbox library, you can assume it's already one of the lucky games. :)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wheres.... deathrow?

EDIT: yes, i read the entire post. just dont think deathrow fits in as
"fairly popular or a mainstay of the Xbox library". hear me MS, i want deathrow!

chespace

DMczaf said:
WTF, no NBA Lives or Maddens? You dont deserve the name EAGM, Che!

p.p.s. if your favorite game isn't on this list and it's a title that's fairly popular or a mainstay of the Xbox library, you can assume it's already one of the lucky games.

DMczaf

chespace said:

p.p.s. if your favorite game isn't on this list and it's a title that's fairly popular or a mainstay of the Xbox library, you can assume it's already one of the lucky games.

Hmm, I should probably read your post before clicking the link and replying :p

*backs out of thread with his copy of Madden 06*

op_ivy

my votes (if anyone cares)

list A:
amped 2
riddick
stranger
outrun 2
steel battalion line of contact

list B:
grabbed by the ghoulies (fuck off haters)
gunvalkyrie
jet set radio future
panzer dragoon orta
steel battalion

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
So is BC is going to be implemented on a "..if the game is popular enough" basis?

I hope not, knowing my taste it'll mean none of my Xbox games will get 'the treatment' :(

Or is this is just for day 1 / launch BC?

chespace

Vennt said:
So is BC is going to be implemented on a "..if the game is popular enough" basis?

I hope not, knowing my taste it'll mean none of my Xbox games with get 'the treatment' :(

Or is this is just for day 1 / launch BC?

Day 1 launch BC.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Ok thanks, it's early and my eyes are not working yet, you even had that in your post.

Reading Comprehension FTW! ;)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
neat. vote panzer orta. and i assume that metal slugs three through five are missing because they're indispensable xbox games which microsoft would never think of excluding...right?

:(

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Vennt:

> So is BC is going to be implemented on a "..if the game is popular enough" basis?

Keep in mind that M$ doesn't care about backwards compatibility and wasn't planning on supporting it until Sony and Nintendo announced full support for their respective back catalogues. Then M$ was left without a plan but had to announce support at E3 in order to stay competitive. Partial support eventually became full support but I bet they're hoping that people forgot that.

I think they'll work on this for a year or so and then quietly stop.

op_ivy

Jonnyram said:
Is the site down now or something?
I tried submitting, got an error and can't get back on.

no longer working for me either. i assumed it was just cause i had already voted

chespace

Ah, just got an email from our sys admin.

Server maintenance started at 2AM. For an hour. :p

Sorry folks. It'll be back soon.

Anyanka

So how is Live going to work on old Xbox titles? will they eventually shut them down if theyre not compatible with 360?

chespace

The games that are backwards compatible with 360 are presumably going to be Xbox Live 360 compatible as well.

The games that aren't... well, you're SOL to begin with. Just play them on your old Xbox via Live.

The site is back up BTW. guess it wasn't an hour. :)

Rhindle

Interesting list.

Based on this, I would guess they have about 40-60 games "done" so far. Maybe they're aiming for 100 by launch.

123rl said:
Grr...people suck! 10% of the votes for Half Life 2 and people haven't even played it yet.

...which is why it's kind of weird it's not a shoo-in, and sort of logical for people to vote for it, right? It comes out right around the same time as the 360. People who want to buy the game AND the 360 are going to want to be able to play it on their 360.

Nikashi

Banned
Okay, just for the hard of reading, this is apparantly a list of games where emulation is more difficult that others. For all the people crying about certain niche titles not being included, while Che did say that if a popular game wasn't on the list, it may already be compatible, but really, that must include really simple games, codewise, and I think the Metal Slug games and pretty much any 2d games have a pretty low overhead, considering in many cases the original hardware for those games have already been emulated on Xbox. I can't see the code for those games running on Xbox as being that much more complex that it would need much more overhead unless the programmers were really sloppy with their optimization :p

Nikashi said:
Okay, just for the hard of reading, this is apparantly a list of games where emulation is more difficult that others. For all the people crying about certain niche titles not being included, while Che did say that if a popular game wasn't on the list, it may already be compatible, but really, that must include really simple games, codewise, and I think the Metal Slug games and pretty much any 2d games have a pretty low overhead, considering in many cases the original hardware for those games have already been emulated on Xbox. I can't see the code for those games running on Xbox as being that much more complex that it would need much more overhead unless the programmers were really sloppy with their optimization :p

To be fair, the snippet that was written to go along with the poll is very poorly worded. It's easy to see how a person could get stuck on statements like "but with the Xbox 360 launch just around the corner this November, the boys from Redmond are unofficially reaching out to the gaming community to learn what remaining games Xbox fans would like to see backwards compatible on Xbox 360" and "80 games that will, over the course of the next 5 days, battle it out to the death." The author lends the poll just a wee bit too much importance. It's my understanding that MS will be providing Live updates with more bc games somewhere down the line, and I'm sure what is and isn't on the list (or winning the poll, for that matter) isn't at all representative of the final list. Hell, che says as much in a post later on in this thread.

I also find it curious that you criticize the "hard of reading" when it is a skill you seem to be lacking as well. Nowhere in the blurb is there any indication that these games are especially difficult to code. Microsoft is just trying to see how many games they can squeeze into their launch bc code. That's all there is to it.

Nikashi

Banned
echoshifting said:
I also find it curious that you criticize the "hard of reading" when it is a skill you seem to be lacking as well. Nowhere in the blurb is there any indication that these games are especially difficult to code. Microsoft is just trying to see how many games they can squeeze into their launch bc code. That's all there is to it.

Okay, I won't take that personally but from what I read, it did appear that if they were reaching out, those games probably were a little harder to code for than others, or it really wouldn't be anything they'd need to consult us for. I mean, why bother asking if it was no effort to do? Just to arbitrarily deprive us of other games we could easily be playing?

----

Banned
There's a disturbingly large number of games on those lists that I own. I really never thought the backwards compatbility was going to be this bad for Xbox 360. I always thought there would only be just a handful or so of games that didn't work, not hundreds of games that didn't work.

atomsk

Party Pooper
well i voted for what i own, and i'm hoping that support for burnout revenge also lends support to burnout 1/2/3. in any case i know spikeout and tj&e3 support is the last thing on their minds...

i've got a sliver of hope super monkey ball deluxe makes it in, and the x360 controller actually makes it playable... but thats just wishful thinking on my part

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I voted for Beyond Good&Evil, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Panzer Dragoon Orta, PoP SoT, PoP WW, Shenmue, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, Super Monkey Ball DX bolded= I plan on buying these games when I have a 360 ^^. I hope that Conker is compatible yet now. And of course I'd be very disappointed if not all of my bolded games were to be compatible.

robochimp

chespace said:

Even the Dance Dance Revolutions?

Shompola

Banned
Where the hell is Enclave? Out of that list, the most importang games are IMO PDO, Gunvalkyrie, JSRFm Shenmue 2 and Crimson skies.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Err, why should we be making this choice? They already have the nVidia chip in there, don't they? It should run ALL games (or at least 99% of them).

I could possibly forgive them IF the games that DO run end up supporting 720p or something (custom enhancements on a per game basis kinda thing).

PhatSaqs

Banned
All I really care about on the list(s) are Half Life 2, Phantom Dust, Street Fighter Collection and PD Orta.
Err, why should we be making this choice? They already have the nVidia chip in there, don't they? It should run ALL games (or at least 99% of them).
I think they're emulating the chips tech via software. I remember reading that alot of devs "hacked" into the chip via code which is the hardest part to emulate.

rastex

Banned
dark10x said:

I could possibly forgive them IF the games that DO run end up supporting 720p or something (custom enhancements on a per game basis kinda thing).
They don't have the actual chip inside the box as that would require buying the chip from nVidia, and that's just... not happening. They're just liscensing some IP from them in regards to special instructructions that existed on the nVidia chip. Someone already made the claim that these games require some special emulation because of the way they do things. Like SFAC (I really hope it makes it) has 2 games on 1 disc, that probably presents a problem. Maybe all of these games have more than one XBE or something like that.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
No Metal Slug 3?

I really hope Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, Metal Slug 3, and Panzer Dragoon Orta make it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ah, I see, I thought the whole nVidia deal WAS for the chip itself. I thought that sounded a bit odd, but assumed that, perhaps, they could not get software BC working.

Microsoft gave away hundreds of thousands of copies of JSRF, and they aren't sure if it should be compatible?

I hope titles like Doom III get a framerate boost.

Don't forget to vote for Psychonauts and Stranger's Wrath, and all Sega titles.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Fucking hell, Morrowind better make it. And JSRF. And Orta. That's all I care about from those games.

Top Bottom