• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 won best Sony PlayStation game award at Gamescom 2023

Technicallly, Virtua Fighter 3 is more advanced than Tekken 3 despite releasing nearly a year earlier, but its art direction and sound design are just not up to par.

Last edited:

SSfox

You know that Lion has forward and backward dodge in Virtua Fighter 2, right? Also, Brad Burns is a spin off of the second style of Vanessa in the original Virtua Fighter 4 release, which came out a month apart from Tekken 4.

Completely false. Tekken 4 with Steve introduction released July 2001 in Arcades, and he was already shown way before this for marketing purposes.

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution that introduced Brad was released in arcades August 7th 2002, and on the PlayStation 2 in 2003.

Either Sega fanboys like it or not, Brad dodge gameplay mechanics were an obvious rip off from the extremely innovative Steve Fox gameplay.

Last edited:
I just hope the Xbox version isn’t shit this time like Tekken 7. I have it on SX but it never got a One X upgrade, so it’s stuck at 720p. Gonna wait and see how it fares but I am interested in it since I kinda liked 7. I wish SoulCalibur got more love but I’ll deal with playing my boy Yoshi in T8 along with Sexy Coffee Lady.

Okay so i'm just talking to another Sega fanboy that also thing Sony killed Sega console gaming, lmao OKAY
Jim Carrey What GIF

This is really shocking especially since Tekken 8 is a Japanese developed fighting game.

Best PlayStation game? Isn’t this game on XBOX as well?

Last edited:

squarealex

I don't why people fighting (lol) with Tekken Vs. Virtua Fighter like it's 1994.

I love both of them and both propose good gameplay. Even if Tekken inspired by Virtua Fighter in some way (Like Capcom inspired by some SNK stuff), we can't say "it's bad copy cat" witch is false... (Also, Virtua Fighter 5 have many "combo juggle" wich is pure Tekken Style..

We can blame Sega for not being able to put the game back in the spotlight in time (new game with Tekken 7 / SF5), or to bring out the latest release of VF5 on ONE console and not on PC / Xbox.
And popularity is not a thing. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (2011) is the worst selling Tekken before the 7 wich is the best selling Tekken.

Puscifer

Random bullshit is what makes Tekken a shit experience. Tekken 4 failed to adjust movement relative to uneven terrain. Tekken 5 had mids connecting on grounded opponents and high crush shenanigans. Tekken 6 had rage added. Tekken Tag 2 had hitbox issues galore, mid crush, and boredom inducing tag juggles added. I don't even want to think about the abomination that is 7...
Ever had those random jabs that ended entire matches because it glitched and wiped out the lifebar? I have lol

SSfox

You were talking bullshit, and i just proved it to you, now if you want to stay into you little fanboy cave feel free. I've better things to do than argue with a Sega fanboy that think Sega invented everything and only others took inspirations from them without the opposite case.

Last edited:
(Also, Virtua Fighter 5 have many "combo juggle" wich is pure Tekken Style..
Do you actually believe Tekken invented juggling? I don't mean to say Virtua Fighter did, but wow...

You were talking bullshit, and i just proved it you, now if you want to stay into you little fanboy cave feel free. I've better things to do than argue with a Sega fanboy that things they invented everything and only others took inspirations from them without the opposite.
You proved that you either have low comprehension or cannot accept the fact that Steve in Tekken 4 is not innovative. What you know as Brad Burns is simply a repackaged version of Vanessa's Muay Thai P+K+G style stance switch in Virtua Fighter 4's delayed August 2001 arcade release as is evidenced by the provided video and article. Implementing Muay Thai or Boxing at the time was not innovative in 3D fighters and to say that Brad Burns is inspired by Steve is pure nonsense.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Tekken Tag 2 sold bad because T6's middling reception, so bad they came up with a F2P game and I thought for a moment the franchise was dead.

Next to this I think TTT2 is one of the worst Tekken games. I don't like it. It was far too much to remember, drawn out fights... I even rather played 6 or better yet 5 DR. I did love TTT1 though, but it was essentially T3 with tag mechanics.

Technicallly, Virtua Fighter 3 is more advanced than Tekken 3 despite releasing nearly a year earlier, but its art direction and sound design are just not up to par.

VF3 absolutely crushed Tekken 3 on technical levels. But the cab largely collected dust here, while everyone kept gathering around Tekken 3, especially when a new time released character popped up. Namco understood the market better. No one bat an eye at VF3 and I am sure it was much more expensive for the arcade owners than a T3 cab.

I love VF, I absolutely do. VF5 FS is one of the best 3D fighters of all time. VF4 Evo on PS2 was killer too. But I always played Tekken more, there was more to do, more to unlock and a more active community.

Top Bottom