• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the Konami arcade classic) is now on MiSTer FPGA! One of those "hall of fame" arcade games....but what your HOF?

VGEsoterica

I dont think there is anyone that HASNT played Konami's TMNT arcade beat em up. If you even casually played games in the early 90s you definitely came across it. It was in basically every arcade ever as well as tons of movie theatres and probably some laundromats too! It's just a game synonymous with the era and still one of the most beloved Konami games of all times...up there with The Simpsons as far as "properties absolutely everyone knows about"

and sure its been released on basically every platform ever...but to get the authentic real hardware experience you'd need an arcade board....which due to the popularity of TMNT are super common...and STUPID expensive. $500 on average. Hell I paid $200 years ago for mine. Thats what happens when a game is that good AND it also holds a license to one of the biggest comic / cartoon / movie properties of the early 90s.

But Furrtek has been working on a full FPGA implementation of the board that TMNT ran on and yesterday released a beta core that fully recreates the PCB in FPGA logic on MiSTer. Which is huge not just because it means you can beat up Shredder and the foot clan...but that other awesome Konami games that run on that board or very similar variants can come next!

but thats on more "Hall of Fame" popular game recreated in FPGA. Which got me thinking GAF...whats the one game you'd want to see over all others? Id be curious. For me its OG Splatterhouse on the Namco arcade board version

Quasicat

This is cool, if not for any other reason than to have the licensed attract screen that was missing from the collection.

My Hall of Fame title is actually four because of a Neo Geo MVS machine that I used frequently at the local Pizza Hut in college. It had Blazing Star, Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug, and Puzzle Bobble running on it. I would go there everyday for lunch…drop $4 down on a Personal Pan, three breadsticks, and unlimited Pepsi and blow the rest of my $16 on the MVS for the next few hours. The employees knew me by name as I was there almost everyday for two years.

When they came out on the Switch, and Xbox, I had to get them to relive that nostalgia.

TMNT was the quintessential co-op beat-em up. Not once did anyone who played feel like their quarters were wasted. There are a few other Hall of Fame arcade games that come to mind:

1. Donkey Kong (1981) - A nearly flawless arcade platformer about rescuing a princess from the clutches of a giant ape.
2. Frogger (1981) - An addictive game of getting a frog from one side of the street to the other against all odds.
3. Peter Jacobsen's Golden Tee 3D Golf (1995) - A game in which a person without any interest in golf or sports can have a blast playing with others. Trackball is amazing!
4. Die Hard Arcade (1996) - A 3D beat 'em up with the plot and pacing of an 80's action movie. What's not to love?
5. Dance Dance Revolution (1998) - A rhythm game that can make even the biggest introverts bust a move on its unique floor panel controller.
6. House of the Dead 2 (1998) - Arguably the best lightgun game in the arcades with frantic zombie action.
7. Crazy Taxi (1999) - Racing the clock across San Francisco to get passengers to their destinations has never been so fun.
8. Metal Slug 3 (2000) - Everything a run and gun game could be on an arcade machine.
9. Artic Thunder (2000) - An extreme snow sports racer with power ups on a huge cabinet with physical feedback.

Without unique hardware, Die Hard Arcade would likely be the one I would want faithfully emulated.

P.S. I have always hated fighting games in arcades as they were just made to take quarters and the controls always felt awkward. Still loved the console ports to death.

Last edited:

digdug2

I'm not sure how it would hold up these days, but the original Time Crisis was incredible when it came out. I loved the mechanic (gimmick?) of having to step on the pedal to come out from behind cover.

RAIDEN1

I have never played the Konami release and never saw it in arcades, which reminds me to get around to the TMNT collection somepoint soon to see what the fuss is about...

Game is fun as hell with 4 people in an arcade but from a gameplay perspective any beat em up that doesn't have stunlock when attacking enemies is kind of trash. It's why X-Men arcade is mechanically much better, and why Turtles in Time on the SNES is a better game than the arcade version.

Ulysses 31

Final Fight
Double Dragon
The Simpsons
Rolling Thunder
The Newzealand story
Vendetta
Sunsetriders
Vigilante
Green Beret

Last edited:

Krathoon

Now, they need to get the Simpsons and X-Men on there. I assume that would be easy now. I think it uses the same board.

digdug2

Time crisis 2
Area 51
Hydro Thunder
Star wars Trilogy arcade
Silent scope

The last on in particular I don't think can be emulated due to its uniqueness.
Thanks for reminding me of Silent Scope. I sunk many dollars into that game 25ish years ago.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Gonna cheat and just say the Neo Geo as a platform. I just love so many games on the platform I can't narrow it down.

Beyond that, I'm gonna do a top 5 runner up

1. Pac-Man, obvious
2. Street Fighter 2
3. X-Men for belt scrollers
4. Galaga for shooters
5. Virtua Fighter 3. No game has ever blown me away as much as VF3 did in arcades when I first saw it.

Krathoon

Oh. I see the Haunted Castle is on there too. It is starting to get quite the arcade library.
I wonder if the Saturn update is not there too.

I did have the unstable on there. I probably blew it away when I ran update all.

Hopefully, I did not mess things up. I assume it just overwrites if it finds a weird version of software or a core.

Last edited:
Hof Arcade games? Humm "Cadillacs and Dinosaur", "Capcom VS SNK"(yes the vannila one). But this stuff is already amazing on emulators...

The ones that I'd like to see on mister but using the original arcade are Daytona USA and the other I forgot the name... I'll edit if I remember

Krathoon

Actually, I was wrong about Haunted Castle. That is in beta. The updater did download some file pertaining to it.

Also, TMNT is a beta and you have to manually install it.

Top Bottom