• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowabunga! Let's talk about Konami's TMNT games GAF dudes and dudettes!

I've always wondered why they all had red bandana's?
The comic was in black and white. The colour of their mask didn't matter, so it was just a uniform red.

The IDW continuity starts off with the team wearing red masks as they're looking for Raphael who has been missing for a year and red being his colour, they choose to wear it to honour him

Platy

Colored bandanas was something created by the cartoon.

E4Zmi6x.jpg
mKQ6pWs.jpg

Original comic was all red, like Daredevil (the dude who fight the Hand, which features red ninjas.... and is the oposite to the Foot)

wondermega

Another issue is that many of the normal enemies felt out of place completely. I was scratching my head at all these strange enemies.

I later learned that many of the enemies were reused sprites from another Konami game.

Do tell? Any more info on this? (what game, etc)

This art was re-used from an early issue of the OG TMNT comic book, which released some years before the cartoon version was created which retooled the style. Originally the comic book original turtles all dressed alike/didn't have initials on their belts/no pupils in eyes, and so forth.
EDIT beaten savagely

dezzy8

Turtles in Time is the GOAT. The remake just didn't have any of the charm that the original had.

OP also forgot to mention the game that came out with the batman combat. I forgot what it was called. It was terrible though. Best to leave it forgotten.

BizzyBum

The comic was in black and white. The colour of their mask didn't matter, so it was just a uniform red.

The IDW continuity starts off with the team wearing red masks as they're looking for Raphael who has been missing for a year and red being his colour, they choose to wear it to honour him

Colored bandanas was something created by the cartoon.

mKQ6pWs.jpg

Original comic was all red, like Daredevil (the dude who fight the Hand, which features red ninjas.... and is the oposite to the Foot)

This art was re-used from an early issue of the OG TMNT comic book, which released some years before the cartoon version was created which retooled the style. Originally the comic book original turtles all dressed alike/didn't have initials on their belts/no pupils in eyes, and so forth.
EDIT beaten savagely

In the original TMNT comic they didn't have colored headbands, it was only when the cartoon show started airing that each Turtle was given their unique color.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Man, the turtles were kinda creepy looking early on. lol

Drayco21

03 Ninja Turtles and Battle Nexus were my fucking jam when I was younger. Battle Nexus especially was great, and thanks to it, I got to play the original arcade game too. I should go back and play it again sometime this holiday season- especially since you get rad santa hats when it's this time of year.

Just saying those 2003 TMNT games were pretty decent, at least from my memory as a kid. Decent music too, though they all had their individual pacing issues and Battle Nexus had the dumb idea to make all 4 players share one lifebar. Could never tackle the enemy survival challenges with my weak-ass friends because of that since they all kept getting hit too much. :/ Mind, I've only played the home console versions. Maybe I'll look into finding a copy of the GBA ones...

Never played any of the post Konami games except Smash-Up, and that was a decent Smash knock-off for casuals with an abusable item system (you can aim a reticle at the screen to change items into other items, so we'd constantly try to change them to the strongest ones). Never bothered looking into it competitively, and the fact the bonus characters were fucking Rabbids turned me off.

Everyone here has thoughts about the retro games, so I'll just say SNES Turtles in Time >>>>>> Arcade Turtles in Time.

Sciz

I don't want to say that Turtles in Time can't be beaten, but it certainly hasn't been, all these years later. Pure magic on a cartridge.

loved TMNT on NES. i didn't know people disliked it until that avgn vid. it was hard, but it was a pretty game with a kickass konami soundtrack. as a TMNT fan, it was simply impossible to ignore it. it had a world map, the much-loved swimming section and something like cutscenes. you couldn't ask for more. we played through it all the time cause there was nothing better out there.

TMNT 2 Arcade Game. everyone loved that one. it was a favorite among friends and it was 2 player. they gave us everything we wished for.

Turtles in Time. same popular title. i never owned this one, but 100 other friends did. i kept renting it too.

i don't remember the first GB title. felt like everyone around you had it.

i actually played the PS2 games briefly but barely remember them now. in the end, the true TMNT era for me was the NES gen. that's when my hype was the biggest for these games.

petran79

Banned
I played the first 2 NES games and all 3 OG Gameboy games in the early 90s. On a trip I had seen an actual TMNT1 arcade board and watched some footage but we had to leave and I didnt play. I was very impressed. It felt like the TV show, compared to the 8-bit graphics of the NES version and the lack of digital sfx.

Later tried the arcades and SNES port through emulation. TMNT3 on NES too. I read a lot in magazines about Tournament Fighters, but when I tried it in the late-90s I found it actually very crap.
Too bad that I had played SNK fighting games that were masterpieces compared to this.

Regarding atmosphere, favorite remains TMNT2: Back from the sewers and TMNT1:Fall of the foot clan for the Gameboy. Closer to the TV series though a bit too easy.

NES arcade port was better than the original in content with 2 extra stages and cool bosses (Tora and Shogun). Too bad they werent featured in the TV series. Same for the SNES version. Too bad that the arcade version played more fluid than the stiff NES and SNES ports.

TMNT1 on the NES I could finish it without problems. But I found it a chore.
TMNT3 on the OG Gameboy was one of the most tedious gaming experiences ever. I do not want to go through it again. I only finished it because we were travelling in Europe by car and it was the best way to kill time.

I personally like the art for the original comic, TMNT was an indie comic to begin with. The duo were more worried about the book selling well than it becoming a big media franchise.

The third Gameboy game was the first to catch on with the comic.
It featured a Triceraton as a boss. The Triceraton arc in the comic was one of the best. In the last fight the Turtles face 4 Triceratons and it is a battle to the death. What the 2003 TV series did to the arc was a disgrace.

even earlier

enWxWwm.jpg

Even though they weren't the greatest at drawing anatomy and some of their drawings looked a little flat. I love the style of the original 1984 TMNT comics. Everything is still really well frames and it has that grungy look to it that adds a lot to the style.

KingBroly

Banned
TMNT 3 The Manhatten Project (NES) and TMNT 3 Radical Rescue (GB) are VERY, VERY, VERY overlooked games in TMNT fandom. Very good games.

Also, Tournament Fighters on NES SUCKED

Alx

Mind... blown.
I always wondered why they were called the Foot. Now I know. ^^

Exodust

Banned
The Manhattan Project and Turtles In Time were my shit. I still love Tournament Fighter(SNES) even if it's a mediocre fighting game.

TMNT was a good Videogame franchise for a while, can't help but get excited for the Platinum game.

G-Fex

loved TMNT on NES. i didn't know people disliked it until that avgn vid. it was hard, but it was a pretty game with a kickass konami soundtrack. as a TMNT fan, it was simply impossible to ignore it. it had a world map, the much-loved swimming section and something like cutscenes. you couldn't ask for more. we played through it all the time cause there was nothing better out there.

TMNT 2 Arcade Game. everyone loved that one. it was a favorite among friends and it was 2 player. they gave us everything we wished for.

Turtles in Time. same popular title. i never owned this one, but 100 other friends did. i kept renting it too.

i don't remember the first GB title. felt like everyone around you had it.

i actually played the PS2 games briefly but barely remember them now. in the end, the true TMNT era for me was the NES gen. that's when my hype was the biggest for these games.

AVGN is full of crap. Too bad all his stupid videos sort of put a real damper on a lot of old NES titles.

Amalthea

Banned
The Megadrive/Genesis version of Tournament Fighter is pretty weird. All stages are set in Dimension X wich mainly means they are odd and completely unrelated to the TMNT franchise. And in single player the game is insanely hard no matter what options you set.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I loved Manhattan Project and always feel sad that it gets overlooked due to being such a late NES release and getting overshadowed by Turtles in Time.
I'm with you. The Manhattan Project has always been my favorite, although obviously Arcade and Turtles in Time were great fun, too.

I only rented it a couple times, but I had a soft spot for Tournament Fighters since it incorporated some of the Archie characters.

lazygecko

The Megadrive/Genesis version of Tournament Fighter is pretty weird. All stages are set in Dimension X wich mainly means they are odd and completely unrelated to the TMNT franchise. And in single player the game is insanely hard no matter what options you set.

That's precisely what I liked about it, and probably why it reminded me so much of the Archie comics with all the crazy stuff they put in there. It has some of my favorite backgrounds of any 16-bit fighter.

uE3ODwN.jpg
3MJjXbR.jpg
BhZoP61.png

Manhattan Project fans know what's up. Simply the greatest TMNT game of all time and it gets overshadowed by TiT. Manhattan Project was the bigger game. Fan service galore with tons of bosses and long levels. Stage design was much better than TiT. TiT stages seemed short and shallow in comparison.

Tizoc

Was there any notable difference among the non NES versions of TMNT1?
It was released on
Amiga, DOS, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, MSX and ZX Spectrum

AVGN is full of crap. Too bad all his stupid videos sort of put a real damper on a lot of old NES titles.

James Rolfe likes TMNT for NES. If people can't see that AVGN is just meant to be comedy and not to be taken at face value, that's on them.

joedan

1. TMNT NES defense force signing in. Great game. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Much more deep than the 2nd two on the NES which were all jumpkicking all the time. TMNT Nes required strategy - which turtle to use for which situation etc etc. Also the difficulty of the dam and seaweed section is overstated. You have four turtles with four life meters and you're telling me that you can't get through? Please.

2. Glad to see TMNT Tournament Fighters get some love. Not a very balanced game but it was a fun diversion from playing Street Fighter 24/7 in the early-mid 90s. And who didn't dream of playing a fighting game featuring the turtles then. Was a dream come through.

3. Is no one gonna comment on the awesome boxart on them NES, Genesis, and SNES turtle games? Konami was killing the boxart game in them days with Turtles, Castlevania, Contra etc.

woopWOOP

My cousin had the first NES TMNT and Turtles in Time, another cousin had TMNT 2 for NES.
Pretty great childhood.

Some school kid had that SNES fighting game too, but I hardly recognised any of those other mutants. A walking shark? Alright then.
Trigger warning

0W9rhIl.jpg
When I replayed it after long time I was stumped for a good 5 minutes, despite the AVGN bit being one of the most memorable. Felt like an idiot afterwards.
Good music though.
This too! Game as whole has some catchy music, underrated IMO.

Nothing comes close to that Turtles in Time boss battle music tho. Best boss battle music

I don't care what any of you say, NES TMNT was the GOAT. I had so much fun with that game. I only beat it once because I got lucky in the Bronx and found the Technodrome on the first try.

Turtles 2: The Arcade Game on NES was good. Turtles Tournament Fighters was awesome on SNES. Turtles in Time was also the GOAT.

Turtles games were great 'til they pulled a Sonic... shame.
1. TMNT NES defense force signing in. Great game. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Much more deep than the 2nd two on the NES which were all jumpkicking all the time. TMNT Nes required strategy - which turtle to use for which situation etc etc. Also the difficulty of the dam and seaweed section is overstated. You have four turtles with four life meters and you're telling me that you can't get through? Please.
This. There was a lot of strategy in that game. Use Donatello as your boss tank, was a must, but there were other ways to use the other three.

I remember sacrificing a turtle in certain parts of the game on purpose because of low health, just so I could go rescue him with full health at one of the designated capture spots (he'd be missing his sub-weapon but it was worth it). There were other things I used to do similar to this but it's been so long. I need to play it again to refresh my memory.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Was there any notable difference among the non NES versions of TMNT1?
It was released on
Amiga, DOS, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, MSX and ZX Spectrum

They're all different in lots of minor ways and they're all far worse than the NES version.

The DOS version in particular is famous for containing a jump that's impossible to make due to an incorrect stage layout.

I always thought the music in Hyperstone Heist was better than TMNT4. Also that A button to manual dash was cool.
Arcade

Genesis

SNES

I totally agree with this. There are many tracks in Hyperstone Heist that I prefer over the Turtles in Time on the SNES.

Skull and Crossbones:
Arcade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al3mhUGhLiQ
Genesis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wEnbSj2-c
SNES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yiwnjbU7XM

Obviously the arcade version is the best one. But the Genesis rendition comes in at a second place to me. It sounds much closer to the Arcade version than the SNES rendition does. There are also a couple original tracks in Hyperstone as well that sound great. Like this one...

Shredders hideout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PQcY-WqgeQ

Hyperstone has some really good music for a Genesis game.

The run button was pretty nice too in the combat, and I felt that the Genesis game was a bit more responsive too in the combat. Though both games still play great. The enemies were a bit more aggressive as well in the Genesis game.

You and me both.

TIT and Hyperstone Heist may get all the shine, but I actually preferred MP. Good length, more and fun boss battles and the final fight with Super Shredder was actually much of a challenge than TIT/HH's ever was.

SNES Tournament Fighters/Mutant Warriors is still my pick for GOAT, though.
I totally forgot how awesome that Super Shredder fight was. Getting turned into turtles, those fire ball animations and his Akuma-like slides. Also the music track for the battle was one of my favorite. Konami used to have some of the best music in in the industry those days and MH is probably my favorite soundtrack by them, which says a lot considering how much great music they authored.

You guys play with dolls?
You don't?

I think we should do a GAF playthrough of the TMNT brawler games

GooeyHeat

Turtles in Time, like all of Konami's arcade beat-em-ups, is a beautiful-looking, amazing-sounding, fast, action-packed, well-controlling piece of dog shit. Between the characters' limited move sets and the sheer volume of stupidity the game throws at you in terms of enemies, it really can't hold a candle to other beat-em-ups from the era. Any good arcade game with an ending should be able to be 1cc'd with practice, but you won't have fun doing so with Konami's games after the sixteenth random flood of enemies. Stick with Capcom stuff (the D&D games, Alien vs. Predator, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs) or Sega stuff (Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder).

Damn
good music though.

The SNES game, despite having worse graphics and sound and less players, is far superior due to the rebalancing, not to mention the extra stage and replaced bosses. I wish there were a version of the game with the SNES stages, bosses, and enemy placements, but with the arcade graphics, sound, and 4-player support. That would be the ideal version.

The original TMNT action game on the NES, as frustrating as it could be, is still the only game using the licence that I think is really good and I say that feeling that the boss battle at the end is one of the least fun challenges of any game on the platform.

Turtles in Time, like all of Konami's arcade beat-em-ups, is a beautiful-looking, amazing-sounding, fast, action-packed, well-controlling piece of dog shit. Between the characters' limited move sets and the sheer volume of stupidity the game throws at you in terms of enemies, it really can't hold a candle to other beat-em-ups from the era.
Not disagreeing with you on their output in the genre, but Konami did manage exactly one truly good BEU in their sequel to their arcade game, Crime Fighters, with Vendetta.

entremet

EDIT beaten savagely

I got the details wrong. It didn't use assets, but it used the same engine.

Here's a write up of the game by HG101:

Getsu Fuuma Den

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/getsufuu/getsufuu.htm

I was all set to get a NES for the Turtles game, but the Mega Drive launched that Xmas and the rest is histo....Altered Beast, Ghouls & Ghosts and Golden Axe.

The arcade game was basically how I spent my lunch hours at school, I was probably malnutritioned as a result of spending all my dinner money on arcades rather than solid food.

The SNES fighter was quite fun actually, I remember it being solid if a little jankier than Capcoms offerings, but it was a lot of fun in 2 player.

That's all I have.

Savitar

It should be mentioned if you loved all things Ninja Turtles check out the Turtles Forever special that came out a few years ago, it starred the 2K turtles, TMNT that many of us watched as kids as cartoons and one special never before animated era of turtles as well. It's very much a love letter to all things TMNT and was fantastic.

Some complained the original animated TMNT turtles were too goofy but it simply portrayed them as they became for much as their run due to the violence being toned down for at that time and threats being silly with the goofiness being played up.

Nephtes

Oh God... Noooooo noooooooooooooooooooooooo! NES TMNT.
The water! The beeping! I still have nightmares!

That fucking game was my 3rd NES game (Super Mario and Duck Hunt being the others) and I remember vividly getting to the water level, dying 80 times, getting really frustrated, complaining to my parents that I needed a raise in allowance so I could afford a different game...

They told me "No, if you're bored with your new game system, go play outside."

So I went outside. Do you hear that GAF? That game was so infuriating to an 8 year old me that I went outside and rode my bike and played GI JOEs with friends... Outside. In the actual real sun. You know, the one that burns.

Fuck Ultra (AKA 1980's Konami) and their bullshit game.

Thanks for the nightmares op.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_III_-_Radical_Rescue_Coverart.png

The often forgotten predecessor to Castlevania SOTN. The director was involved with both games.

Radical Rescue is the first Konami Metroidvania, and a good one at that.

Yes, I remember that one of the TMNT games for GB was a Metroidvania style game. Unfortunately I think this one is pretty rare, never see it in shops...

Anyways, this is a really great idea for a thread. Turtle mania hit right for me when I started getting into games, so the Arcade Game was huuuuuge and a title I spent so much money on. Got the disappointing first NES game for doing well on my report card one year, and Fall of the Foot Clan was one of my first GB games, but never did pick up any of the home ports of the arcade titles.

Favorite game so far would have to be Turtles in Time. Recently scored a copy for SNES and damn it's fun. And also own the original arcade game on XBLA. No interest in the newer / non-Konami games... but I'm hoping Platinum will make something good.

ReyVGM

I have no memories of ever playing it, I just know it had a BS water section, but it had cheats that let you skip stages or something apparently.

Nope it didn't.

Trigger warning

0W9rhIl.jpg

That one is easy: you can just walk through it, no need to jump.

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_III_-_Radical_Rescue_Coverart.png

The often forgotten predecessor to Castlevania SOTN. The director was involved with both games.

Radical Rescue is the first Konami Metroidvania, and a good one at that.

You mean Maze of Galious and Castlevania 2 don't count?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
You mean Maze of Galious and Castlevania 2 don't count?

Or Goonies II.

Fuck Ultra (AKA 1980's Konami) and their bullshit game.

Lots of the US releases under the Ultra label were disappointing - Silent Service and Pirates are some of the worst NES games I've ever played. Snake's Revenge wasn't that great but not as bad as others say, and ditto for the original Turtles game (NES Turtles 2 wasn't too bad though and iirc Manhattan Project was released under the Konami label). But compared to the games released under the Konami label they were like night and day.

Teknoman

That's precisely what I liked about it, and probably why it reminded me so much of the Archie comics with all the crazy stuff they put in there. It has some of my favorite backgrounds of any 16-bit fighter.

uE3ODwN.jpg
3MJjXbR.jpg
BhZoP61.png

Holy crap. I need to get the Genesis version then. Those backgrounds look like something right out of an unreleased Konami run and gun.

That being said, the JP version of Hyperstone Heist cover art is amazing.

EDIT: Is Neon Nightriders in Hyperstone? Because that was one of the first stages/themes that made me go wow back in the day. Still does today. Hoverboards, big megacity in the back with stereotypical searchlights, autoscrolling stage (these and train stages always get me).

lazygecko

EDIT: Is Neon Nightriders in Hyperstone? Because that was one of the first stages/themes that made me go wow back in the day. Still does today. Hoverboards, big megacity in the back with stereotypical searchlights, autoscrolling stage (these and train stages always get me).

It isn't. The time traveling stages are out except for a mere handful that were reworked into a different context. Hyperstone Heist is like this weird amalgam of stages from Turtles in Time and the previous arcade game that got ported to the NES.

Raijin did port the music though

Dam those tournament fighters genesis screens look pretty dope. I played all the other versions of it and still own the snes/super famicon versions. I never bothered looking into the genesis version for some reason. Didn't realize it was so different.

edit: just realized they have a soundtrack by Higashino
(dude who made suikoden soundtracks for those who dont know)
and April as a playable character.... I think I may have to re-buy a genesis

Top Bottom