• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowabunga! Let's talk about Konami's TMNT games GAF dudes and dudettes!

petran79

Banned
Turtles in Time, like all of Konami's arcade beat-em-ups, is a beautiful-looking, amazing-sounding, fast, action-packed, well-controlling piece of dog shit. Between the characters' limited move sets and the sheer volume of stupidity the game throws at you in terms of enemies, it really can't hold a candle to other beat-em-ups from the era. Any good arcade game with an ending should be able to be 1cc'd with practice, but you won't have fun doing so with Konami's games after the sixteenth random flood of enemies. Stick with Capcom stuff (the D&D games, Alien vs. Predator, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs) or Sega stuff (Streets of Rage 2, Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder).

Konami's Asterix beat-em-up can be beaten with 1 cc and it is one of the best I've played. I'd rank it as their best beat-em-up and it is much closer to the original source material than the TMNT games. All stages and bosses require tricks and strategy

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I loved Manhattan Project and always feel sad that it gets overlooked due to being such a late NES release and getting overshadowed by Turtles in Time.

I came to post this, in fact it's my favorite beat em up of all time. One of my earliest memories is my father taking me to the store and letting me pick any game. I decided on tmnt of course. We played every night from that point forward. He would even wake me up after my mom went to bed to get some more playing time in. Every time we played we made it a little bit further, learned more tricks, knew what to look out for. When we finally beat it it absolutely blew my mind. I remember when I dusted off the NES when I was in 6th grade. It was one of the first times I ever felt nostalgia booting this game up. The concept of "just like yesterday" never was any clearer. I was amazed at just how great it held up. Funny thing though, to this day, the super shredder boss at the end is still insanely hard.

We also had Manhattan missions on some ancient fossil of a PC. I was never great at it, I remember not fully understanding it, and it being incredibly difficult to progress in. I still loved the hell out of it given I was obsessed with tmnt.

I always liked the original NES game. I never had any real issues with the seaweed level (although it was always tense) but I do think I normally stalled in one of the very next levels.

Still play Hyperstone Heist to this day on the Genesis. My sons, nephews and nieces get a kick out of playing it now, too. I just think the TMNT beat 'em ups of that era were very strong (arcade, SNES, Genesis). I gather Turtles in Time on the 360 was poorly received in general. I remember playing the demo and was quite underwhelmed, to my disappointment.

Underrated games on this list involve the 2007 movie tie-in. Movie didn't do much for me but I liked the PS2 version of the game. I suppose it was very Prince of Persia. It was indeed only one player but I thought they handled the tagging pretty well.

However, I REALLY love the GBA game for the 2007 movie. That game, along with the GBA Revenge of the Sith, are incredible beat 'em-ups. Highly, highly recommended.

Tried to like Danger of the Ooze (360). Rented it from Redbox but the hit detection seemed dodgy and it just didn't move right. I still hope to pick it up during a sale down the line.

I loved Manhattan Project and always feel sad that it gets overlooked due to being such a late NES release and getting overshadowed by Turtles in Time.
Manhattan Project is such a good game.

I really love TMNT II on the NES. I think it's soundtrack is ungodly good. Unlike TMNT 1, they actually incorporate the TMNT theme song we all know and love in many different tracks.

Grokbu

Not sure if it can be called an album or not, as I don't think there's a cd etc. for the OST (I could be wrong though), but if someone were to ask me now what my favorite music album is, I think I'd say the SNES Turtles in Time soundtrack. Love it.

Pro

2362300-nes_tmnt.jpg

Geez just seeing this cover art instantly time warps me to being 7 years old. So weird.

Raitaro

Geez just seeing this cover art instantly time warps me to being 7 years old. So weird.

For me seeing this (awesome) cover is a nostalgia trip as well for sure. It was the game that I had asked my parents to get with my NES in fact, and while I never finished it, I did play it quite often and as such see it as much as a part of my NES memories as Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, Legend of Zelda and Double Dragon II.

I continue to hold a warm spot in my heart for most all 8 and 16-bit era TMNT games by Konami. I played most of the beat 'm ups with friends and even my mom as well (who normally stuck to Zelda or Tetris). I think we must have rented 2, 3 and Turtles in Time multiple times but somehow we never bought them. Tournament Fighters on SNES I did buy back then (I still have that copy) and play for hours on end, being a big SFII fan as well. My best friend back then was quite heavily into the NES version of that despite it not being that good of a game.

Now that we're on this topic: Did we ever find out if there would have been a fourth version of Tournament Fighters, one with Mikey on the cover? Just imagine how cool a Neo Geo or Arcade Tournament Fighters would have been!

I'm also still dying to know who drew the awesome cover of Turtles in Time on the SNES by the way, who I assume is the same person as the one who drew the covers for Contra III, Rollergames, Sunset Riders and Super Castlevania IV.

Top Bottom