• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Legendia is...

Shouta

I haven't heard of anyone that has done it, off the top of my head. It's certainly not impossible but damn, you'd have to be pretty crazy. I had about 700,000 near the end of the game I think but I didn't do much in the arena myself. I wonder what kind of stats it gives Norma because it'd have to be some serious boosts. :lol

MrDaravon

Oh no, it's the same shitty stuff. I think it's +4 to 2 stats. The only titles of any worth are the arena titles, Combo Master title, and the titles you get when you hit some of the higher levels (You get a title at levels 20/40/60/80/100). You do get a skit for each one of those titles though, which no one has any idea what happens (there are people on both boards begging for someone to do it and submit a game save, you think someone would have a gameshark or something).

Link1110

SailorDaravon said:
Oh no, it's the same shitty stuff. I think it's +4 to 2 stats. The only titles of any worth are the arena titles, Combo Master title, and the titles you get when you hit some of the higher levels (You get a title at levels 20/40/60/80/100). You do get a skit for each one of those titles though, which no one has any idea what happens (there are people on both boards begging for someone to do it and submit a game save, you think someone would have a gameshark or something).

Is there a book for ToL like the ToD character collection with all the skits in script form?

Shouta

Wait, skits for the title every 20 levels? You didn't need to do skits for them...unless you're talking about something else.

MrDaravon

Sorry, I was referring to that you get skits for the Norma titles we were talking about, not the level skits.

Link: No idea. There probably is, but it'd be in Japanese.

Shouta

Norma rocks, I think she may have surpassed Rutee from ToD as my favorite female Tales character. Her energy is annoying and catchy all at the same time. :lol

Almost 22 hrs into it now, and I'm definitely enjoying it.

I simply can't comprehend why this game gets so much hate. Even the battles and dungeons are somewhat enjoyable, though the fantastic art direction plays a BIG role to that. :lol The dungeons are definitely too long and drawn out for its own good, but I've not had any major problems, the battles don't last long either, and there aren't too many obstructing puzzles or such.

Cooking still sucks though, limiting what I can carry to just 10 blows. :(

But the story, characters and music are all great. I was genuinely sad when
Stella died

I'm now a Chapter 5 and I definitely am eager to get to the characters quests (especially with voices, heh).

Norma is indeed so awesome. I'm also beginning to like the rest of the cast too.

Tokubetsu

Magicpaint said:
Almost 22 hrs into it now, and I'm definitely enjoying it.

I simply can't comprehend why this game gets so much hate. Even the battles and dungeons are somewhat enjoyable, though the fantastic art direction plays a BIG role to that. :lol The dungeons are definitely too long and drawn out for its own good, but I've not had any major problems, the battles don't last long either, and there aren't too many obstructing puzzles or such.

Cooking still sucks though, limiting what I can carry to just 10 blows. :(

But the story, characters and music are all great. I was genuinely sad when
Stella died

I'm now a Chapter 5 and I definitely am eager to get to the characters quests (especially with voices, heh).

Norma is indeed so awesome. I'm also beginning to like the rest of the cast too.

I agree. Im about 2 and a half hours in and loving. I rented it from Gamefly but i am seeking to buy it now. Loving it. I really like the art style and *GASP* the voice acting. This is my first Tales game though (Tales of Symphonia never intrested me) but i plan to check out Tales of Abyss come this fall though. This rpg does not deserve the gaf hate.

MrDaravon

kiryogi said:
Oooh daravon, you should stop by my channel :D

http://www.taleschannel.org

Also, I've personally managed around 1.8 million in my current playthrough.

Bookmarked! I think I ended the game with about 2.5 million.

I totally agree with everyone, I don't get the hate this game gets. My fiance watched me play almost the entire game and she said she doesn't get it either. I've got a friend to play it now and he is really enjoying it too. Anyway right now I'm checking out Summon Night, but I'll post a final impressions/review of ToL tonight or in the morning (I beat the game this morning).

Sagitario

The game sure is charming... and the characters are great, much better writing than ToS... I reiterate my love for Norma :p ... I'll miss her voice in the character quests... :(

kiryogi

Banned
SailorDaravon said:
Bookmarked! I think I ended the game with about 2.5 million.

I totally agree with everyone, I don't get the hate this game gets. My fiance watched me play almost the entire game and she said she doesn't get it either. I've got a friend to play it now and he is really enjoying it too. Anyway right now I'm checking out Summon Night, but I'll post a final impressions/review of ToL tonight or in the morning (I beat the game this morning).

Hey now, I stand by 100% on the presentation. It's the gameplay that really gets on your nerves. But the music, writing, visuals, pacing, etc are truly outstanding.

MrDaravon

Shouta said:
It's a mystery!

:lol Not really, I'm just realllly tired right now, I'll do it in the morning. I haven't thought about the final score yet, but it'll probably be a 9/10, give or take slightly.

MrDaravon

Shouta said:
I was talking about why the game isn't liked.

Ohhh. I said I was tired!

Anyway, I really dunno. I think the battle system and to an extent the graphics really threw people off, especially after Symphonia which did very well and was widely known, and Legendia seemed a step back in both departments to most people (which it technically was really).

Shouta

I'd be hard-pressed to say that the battle system is a step-back from Symphonia. The only difference I can recall is that Symphonia has the team combos and a few Hi-Ougis and Legendia has Custom Ougis and The Throwing system. There's the 3D field but you couldn't rotate around like you could in Abyss.

Mau ®

This thread is making me rethink my Tales of Legendia buy.

Ill get it one of these days, FFXII will own me for the next months...

kiryogi

Banned
on the previous tangent, finally got my VPL figure box. Anyone looking to trade? XD I'm looking for a painted Alicia. I got ivories of everyone except for Lucio. (Yes that includes Alicia) and painted of everyone but Alicia XD

MrDaravon

I didn't get my VP figures, because ncsx at the last minute said they couldn't get sets, just factory sealed cases of 10 for $75 + shipping which isn't bad, but more than I want to pay now so I had to pass :(

Anyway on Legendia I finished the game at around 80-85 hours (I have to estimate because I had a lot of "sit time" where the game was on but I wasn't playing). I'm don't have it available now, but I was at about level 79 or so, and had about 1400 battles clocked. I did all the arena stuff and got the majority of the titles, but there were some I couldn't trigger, along with some skits I could not seem to trigger for some unknown reason. When I have a chance in the next couple days I'm going to post those to see if kiro or anyone has any idea on those. Also had something like 570 Grade points, more than enough to buy everything in the Grade shop. As far as the game itself:

-Music is fantastic.
-Characters are great, definetely my favorite Tales cast (although others come close). I think previous Tales games have had really interesting characters, but Legendia just seems to do a lot more with the characters. Wasn't the game's script largely penned by some famous author over there? That would explain that.
-Story and pacing is pretty good. This is only disrupted by some long dungeon travels in the CQ's, but isn't bad enough to knock it down for me. And like Shouta's said, you can use Holy Bottles and get through dungeons with 2-3 encounters.
-I like the CQ concept. It's kinda've like you've just gone through a RPG, and you're getting a sequel right away. It's an interesting concept I'm sure wouldn't work in most games, but I like it here. The MQ and even earlier CQs do a good job at hinting at things you find out later in the CQs.

-I personally liked the town graphics, but they were nothing amazing or anything. Battle graphics I also had no problem with, but could've been better.
-Combat. Mixed bag here. First off the game uses the one line system (2D) as opposed to ToS. That itself I have no problem with, but the game just doesn't feel quite as good as the previous Tales games. IIRC this game was made by a completely different Namco Team (SC team?) which explains this. Senel's Throws, which get a lot of crap, are a mixed bag. I think if you use his Throw eres as just one more ability, and not try to make it the crux of your strategy with him (which I think a lot of people make the mistake of doing), there's no problems. It's great taking advantage of when you or your allies have knocked an enemy down, might as well throw it for massive damage while it's on the ground. On the other hand, it's annoying when an ally knocks an enemy down and you're in the middle of a eres, or if you knock an enemy down and then 2 allies cast spells which do nothing since the enemy is on the ground. I find it much more positive than negative, especially as you progress through the game, but it still has it's problems.
-On a related note, battles take too long. I found nothing unusual about the encounter rate, but enemies just have WAY too much goddamn HP. Even at the end of the game, at high levels with all his best equipment, the Extreme Symbol, and Attack Up, it would still take Senel at least 10-15 attacks to kill the weakest enemies at the end, much more than that for some. This could've been balanced much better.
-Grade shop isn't as good as ToS, and it's nigh impossible to get some of the titles and skits which is annoying for completists like me.

-VA's are a mixed bag. First off some of the characters were fine, others were not. This mainly gets knocked down because the game has no VA in the 2nd half of the game, and in-battle the VA is absurd. EVERY time you attack your character says something, and it's unbelievably annoying. I had all battle voices turned completely off within 3 or 4 battles into the game, although even all the way down you can still hear them slightly.
-Backtracking in the CQ Dungeons. I'm not sure why they really did this, since in the MQ the game would warp you out, and when you get to the end of a dungeon in CQ there's no real reason they couldn't warp you out as well (although it does for the last few thank God). Holy Bottles mostly make this a moot point, but it's still annoying and one of the few (I feel) legitimate complaints about the game.
-Combining Eres to make Compound Eres was annoying since you can't see as you're adding eres what the end result is going to be until you've added all 3, which is a pain in the ass later in the game. I just wound up looking at the guide to see which ones I needed.
-If I got called "Child of Man" one more time I was going to shoot someone.

Overall I loved the game though. I still like ToS better, and possibly ToD 2 (I didn't understand any Japanese at the time, so since I didn't understand the script, I can't really make a fair judgement). Definetely like it better than ToE, and probably ToD, which I haven't played in forever. I wrote more text above in negatives which seems odd, but here's the short of it:

The Good
-Music is Great!
-Great cast and interaction
-Story and pacing is good
-Character Quests is a good concept done (for the most part) well

The Neutral
-Graphics aren't bad but could be better
-Combat also a mixed bag. Definetely solid, but has some oddities to it
-Enemies have way too much HP, making battles longer than they should be
-Grade Shop is so-so, waaay too hard/impossible to get some skits/titles

The Bad
-Mixed bag on the voices themselves, no voice acting the 2nd half of the game, extremely annoying use of voices in battle
-Backtracking in CQ dungeons. Holy Bottles cut down the time dramatically, but I'm still annoyed it's there.
-Compound Eres are annoying to make, and are useless almost all of the time except on occasion for Senel and Jay.
-Stop calling me Child of Man as;ldjf;alsf

Final score: 9/10

I have no idea why this gets GAF hate. It has a 72% over at gamerankings which is average, and most people I've talked to who've actually played the game for any length of time really like it. I can understand why some people don't like it, but I do think it gets unfairly dumped on.

Shouta to elaborate on what I said earlier about some people being disappointed from this after ToS, I think it's largely the graphics, battle system, and lack of a larger world map/exploration. The graphics in ToS had a different style than ToL. Although the graphics in ToL are fine (to me), I can see why people would be disappointed. As far as battles go, ToS was really satisfying in the sense that it was 3D and if you were good you can really juggle enemies and end battles really quick. You don't have that satisfaction in ToL, even the easiest battles take way longer than they did in ToS. Also, ToL moves pretty much in a straight line the entire game, there's very little in the way of sidequests/exploration that ToS had, and the world area is much smaller. I still think ToL is an awesome game, but I would definetely give the nod to ToS, and can understand why people would be disappointed in ToL if they were expecting something like that or better.

Shouta

Battle voices are kind of like that in the japanese version of the game. You can hear them mumbling various things like calling out to another character and etc. I thought it was kind of nice since it blended with the flow of battle pretty well.

I agree on the enemies having too much HP but at the same time, it was kind of nice figuring out how to kill them as fast as possible. I do enjoy the fact the game has a lockdown game in the combat system. Most Tales games comes down to how fast you can spam a technique. Legendia comes down to how well you can trap your opponent.

Sagitario

Well, so far I agree with a lot of things Daravon said...
I'm liking the linearity of the game so far, but that's because when a game has random encounters... the more lineal, the better for me...

Shouta said:
Most Tales games comes down to how fast you can spam a technique. Legendia comes down to how well you can trap your opponent.

I really feel this is true...
One thing I'd have liked is a more tight combat system, I still can feel the little lag between the pressing of the button and the action on the screen when battling...

SailorDaravon said:
Characters are great, definetely my favorite Tales cast (although others come close). I think previous Tales games have had really interesting characters, but Legendia just seems to do a lot more with the characters. Wasn't the game's script largely penned by some famous author over there? That would explain that.

Surely you jest. Was it the way the author brilliantly chained together a series of painfully episodic cliches? That must have been it.

If the writing somehow became brilliant on the trip overseas, the translation must be total shit. Cuz there sure as hell wasnt honey flowing off each text box in the version i played.

MrDaravon

pancakesandsex said:
Surely you jest. Was it the way the author brilliantly chained together a series of painfully episodic cliches? That must have been it.

If the writing somehow became brilliant on the trip overseas, the translation must be total shit. Cuz there sure as hell wasnt honey flowing off each text box in the version i played.

Yawn. You can do better than that!

I'm now 56 hrs in and my impressions remain highly positive. I really like this game.

I've done Will, Norma and Chloe's character quests and have just started Moses' very, very good stuff. I especially loved Chloe's. Lack of voices suck for those playing the English version; really something like Norma coming out of her shell for once would have been a delight for you guys to hear... it's was really great the way emotions are conveyed with the voices.

So yeah, one of the life's mysteries. I seriously can't understand why people would think this game is bad. It has so many outstanding features and moments.

Shouta

Yeah, having no voice work in the CQs for the English version really sucks. Norma's voice actress does a great job and it's a delight listening to her go through a lot of what happened. She's really funny too, I've got her "Nandato Kora!" stuck in my head because of how cute and awesome it sounded.

Geoff9920

So if I was to go out after work today and pick up either ToS or ToL, which one would you guys recommend? Keep in mind that I have played, and enjoyed, about 1/3 of the GC version of ToS. I just didn't have time to finish it before selling the cube.

Norma is the personfication of the word 'cute'. I think Arche and Harold might have been surpassed. They both were my tied top female Tales characters, but Norma is sooooo awesome.

I honestly feel like replaying the first three CQs, especially Chloe's but I really have to continue with Moses... poor Geeto. What I love most about the character quest is how well it complements the main quest, it really doesn't feel forced and really seems to tie up the loose ends of the main quest. I hope the other quests are just as great.

Geoff9920 said:
So if I was to go out after work today and pick up either ToS or ToL, which one would you guys recommend? Keep in mind that I have played, and enjoyed, about 1/3 of the GC version of ToS. I just didn't have time to finish it before selling the cube.

If you prefer gameplay over story, then go for Symphonia since it has a better battle system and the dungeons are actually clever, not just long corridors. If it's the other way around, Legendia definitely. The characters are so much better, the plot is, the music is infinitely better and the art to me just blows Symphonia away. Both are good though and while Symphonia is the generally preferred game, I actually have had a better time with Legendia.

Shouta

Magicpaint said:
Norma is the personfication of the word 'cute'. I think Arche and Harold might have been surpassed. They both were my tied top female Tales characters, but Norma is sooooo awesome.

Yeah, she is the personification of cute but the best thing is that she isn't two-dimensional like most cute characters are.
Her attitude throughout the game is, in a way, in honor of her mentor and not just her own personality. She does it to keep herself close to him and to remind herself of what he lived for and how it has always helped her. It's not outright said but you can tell.

I honestly feel like replaying the first three CQs, especially Chloe's but I really have to continue with Moses... poor Geeto. What I love most about the character quest is how well it complements the main quest, it really doesn't feel forced and really seems to tie up the loose ends of the main quest. I hope the other quests are just as great.

Yeah, I felt the same way. It doesn't feel tacked on and complimented the main quest well despite reusing dungeons.

Moses' CQ was pretty surprising to me. It didn't turn out the way I expected it to be.

Geoff: As Magicpaint points out, Symphonia probably has better overall gameplay for most folks. I think Legendia does everything else (maybe not graphics)) better and I had more fun with Legendia than I did Symphonia though.

Shouta said:
Yeah, she is the personification of cute but the best thing is that she isn't two-dimensional like most cute characters are.
Her attitude throughout the game is, in a way, in honor of her mentor and not just her own personality. She does it to keep herself close to him and to remind herself of what he lived for and how it has always helped her. It's not outright said but you can tell.

Yeah,
she was basically carrying on from where Sven left off; When they went through the flashbacks, I was amazed that Sven was actually more hyper active than Norma xD

Norma was actually insecure as a young person and it was clear she looked up to Sven for inspiration, her whole quest is her dedication to Sven's legacy.

I was also touched knowing that Sven's wish all along was for Zamaran to regain his eye sight, very touching stuff.

Shouta said:
Moses' CQ was pretty surprising to me. It didn't turn out the way I expected it to be.

I'm actually wondering to myself what the hell is going on now. I like that feeling. But it'll be kinda hard to top the first three. Those were purrfect.

kiryogi said:
Here's a clip of the JP Norma doing her treasure hunter song/dance XD

http://www.taleschannel.org/ToL/norma-jaydance.mpg

<3

BTW, does Shirley ever get useful in battle?

Shouta

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
If someone would share its japanese save right at the start of the CQs, it would make my day... :(

I had one until I copied my datas over to my memory card recently. I erased all of them except my clear data. I have a feeling I'll be going back to the game down the line anyway so that was the only one I kept.

Magicpaint said:
Yeah,
she was basically carrying on from where Sven left off; When they went through the flashbacks, I was amazed that Sven was actually more hyper active than Norma xD

Norma was actually insecure as a young person and it was clear she looked up to Sven for inspiration, her whole quest is her dedication to Sven's legacy.

I was also touched knowing that Sven's wish all along was for Zamaran to regain his eye sight, very touching stuff.

You should hear him in Japanese (
Sven I mean
), he's absolutely crazy. :lol

Shirley is supposed to get some better attacks very late into th egame but I never really used her myself.

Shouta said:
You should hear him in Japanese (
Sven I mean
), he's absolutely crazy. :lol

Lol, yeah he's pretty crazy, I can't remeber what joke Norma made that made him flip like a crazy person
was it something about not trusting him because he once told her hard boiled Eggs would turn into chicks? His reaction was hysterical.

shouta said:
Shirley is supposed to get some better attacks very late into th egame but I never really used her myself.

Heh, that reminds me, I haven't checked her newer techs. I stick firmly with Senel (controlled), Chloe, Norma and Will (sometimes Grune depending on enemy and such).

Shouta

I used Senel, Chloe, Norma for most of the game and rotated others in and out. I think I ended up using Moses -> Jay -> Grune -> Will -> Shirley in that order of most to least.

I never found Moses or Jay that useful. I prefer full on offense and they just don't provide it for me, but I'm surprised you left out the power house spell casters like Will and Grune. Though unlike Destiny 2, you can actually manage extremely well even without a couple of spell casters. >_>

Sagitario

kiryogi said:
Here's a clip of the JP Norma doing her treasure hunter song/dance XD

http://www.taleschannel.org/ToL/norma-jaydance.mpg

I <3<3<3<3<3 Norma...
If someone could make an animated GIF of Norma dancing I'd appreciate it a lot :D ...

One thing: there are some songs in the game that aren't in the OST... so far I can recall 2 fight songs, one of theme being the
Vaclav's
fight theme... :(
And the overworld theme is slightly different from the one in the OST...

Good thing Namco left the "sound test" this time...

Shouta

Magic Casters aren't terribly powerful, their biggest use is for forcing an unblock state allowing you to combo them. Jay and Moses do more damage than either Will or Grune on the whole because they aren't bound by casting spell times. I found Norma to be more than enough when she isn't healing.

As for Tales of Destiny II, I did 3 Melee Fighters and One Healer in that game too (like I do for most Tales games). Kyle and Loni were in the party all the time. I switched between Judas and Nanaly for slot three and Reala/Harold for Slot 4. Spellcasters weren't all powerful in this game either despite what most people think. Spells do solid damage butt the melee fighters can easily make up for it in several hits. The block rate in the game is insane though.

MrDaravon

Geoff9920 said:

I'd definetely get ToS. ToL is a great game, but ToS is like, in my top favorite 5 games of all time. Plus it's 20 bucks (I think) now, and I'd imagine ToL is going to drop pretty shortly here. Pick up ToS now since it's cheap and better (IMO), then afterwards get ToL which probably will have dropped in price by then.

Shouta said:
I used Senel, Chloe, Norma for most of the game and rotated others in and out. I think I ended up using Moses -> Jay -> Grune -> Will -> Shirley in that order of most to least.

Same here. I usually went with Grune as the 4th though because she gets the good elemental spells later on. I never ever used Shirley. Her final spell is pretty good but other than that she's kinda've like a crappy combination of the other spellcasters.

Shouta said:
Magic Casters aren't terribly powerful, their biggest use is for forcing an unblock state allowing you to combo them. Jay and Moses do more damage than either Will or Grune on the whole because they aren't bound by casting spell times. I found Norma to be more than enough when she isn't healing.

The thing is when you have several spell casters, since the casting time varies, it never really feels like you're waiting on a spell... it's like Grune does one, then Will folllows up then Norma, and the circle continues. It's pretty effective, especially in boss battles.

Whenever I had Jay or Moses in my party, I really wasn't feeling it.

Shouta said:
As for Tales of Destiny II, I did 3 Melee Fighters and One Healer in that game too (like I do for most Tales games). Kyle and Loni were in the party all the time. I switched between Judas and Nanaly for slot three and Reala/Harold for Slot 4. Spellcasters weren't all powerful in this game either despite what most people think. Spells do solid damage butt the melee fighters can easily make up for it in several hits. The block rate in the game is insane though.

You went through Destiny 2 that way? Really?

I thought the spell casters did far more damage than the melee fighters, I mean Harold's tier 3 spells like crazy comet and divine saber are a testment to that. It really felt like the job of melee fighters were to fend off enemies while the spell casters do the actual damage. Why spell casters are so great in Destiny 2 is because their cast times are pretty short, the speed of the battle system really lends itself well to them; it's like the spells come up so quickly and do so much damage, it rocks. Most of my battles were over in a flash with Kyle, Loni/Nanaly (mostly casting tier 2 spells though), Reala and Harold. Anything else was less than great. Just protect the spell casters and they do immense damage. The only battle where I went 3 melee vs 1 caster is
The final Barbatos battle since he auto-counters spells.

I think later in Destiny 2 the block rate really has to force you to get in more spell casters for better result. I agree the block rate was just.... crazy.

Shouta

Most of the spells in ToD2 felt about the same as any other Tales series spells if you ask me. My melee fighters were pretty beefed and even with the high block rate, I was doing as much as the mages in a few hits easily. I didn't have an issue with at all while running through the game although the last boss took me a little while to beat with the attack patterns it had and all.

Geoff9920

I just thought I'd give an update, though I'm sure no one really cares. Since they didn't have any copies of ToS on hand, I didn't have to choose. ToL it is.

Shouta

Geoff9920 said:
I just thought I'd give an update, though I'm sure no one really cares. Snce they didn't have any copies of ToS on hand, I didn't have to choose. ToL it is.

Cool beans, let us know how you like it.

Top Bottom