• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Legendia is...

Shouta

...actually really good! At least the Japanese version of the game. :lol

I wasn't expecting as much from this since folks have jumped all over its back since it got released but I'm really surprised and pleased with it. Good visuals, fabulous music, solid story, and great characters. Much to my surprise, there was lack of a racism plot! Yay!

I only have a few complaints with the game. Dungeons are pretty barren, combat mechanics are pretty vanilla, the ability gaining scale is kind of oddly adjusted, and there's a serious lack of towns in the game. I can't really complain much about the lack of towns though, the Otters and Pheromone Bombers more than made up for it.

At any rate, the game is pretty close to my current favorite Tales game, Tales of Destiny II. Destiny II has a better battle system and overall story but Legendia has better characters and music. I'd definitely rate Legendia above Symphonia, Eternia, Destiny, and Phantasia at least for me. Tales of the Abyss better deliver considering the absolute amount of praise it gets.

MrDaravon

Man, I thought you and Bebpo and Duckroll got together and decided these things before hand. Who am I supposed to believe now!? :lol

ethelred

I consider Legendia by far the weakest Tales game I've played so far... well, with the exception of the poor ToP Advance.

The dungeons aren't just "pretty bland," they're absolutely 100% boring, unoriginal, atrocious -- Namco created one room for each dungeon and then just hit CTRL+V a bunch of times. Combat isn't just vanilla -- they took a huge step back from all the innovations they had made to the series' combat system. Characters were slow, clunky, possesed few basic moves, etc.

The story is... well, it's good as far as the Tales games go, but I wouldn't even consider that the best in the series, and it's certainly not enough to push the game up over the poor gameplay and dungeon design.

Symphonia and Destiny, at the very least, are waaaay better, and I'd say Eternia's got some good distance on Legendia as well.

kiryogi

Banned
I told you the acting and writing was ace.. its jus the gameplay that goes down the gutter D:

And uh.. what chapter are you on?

edit: also and destiny 2j's story was a giant horrible time paradox. What are you on? That was the only thing wrong with it though. Tod2j's characters were just outright charming tho. Kyle/Reala is probably my 2nd or 3rd most favorite couple in the series. With Luke/Tear being first and Senel/Chloe in the fight with Kyle/Reala. While story wise, it's probably between Legendia and Abyss. But... your commentary makes you seem that you're still early Shouta.

Shouta

What made you think duckroll, Bebpo, and I are in league with each other? :lol I tend to be the opposite of duckroll and Bebpo when it comes to RPGs, that's how it is with most of the big import games.

MrDaravon

Shouta said:
What made you think duckroll, Bebpo, and I are in league with each other? :lol I tend to be the opposite of duckroll and Bebpo when it comes to RPGs, that's how it is with most of the big import games.

I know, that's the problem! Disagreeing on games is one thing, but between the 3 of you there's usually at least 2 polar opposites which makes it harder for the rest of us :(

kiryogi

Banned
Eh, was it missed that I fought tooth and nail with Bebpo during the JP release on this? :/

Sadly though, having to tolerate the gameplay for the story ended up giving me a huge stigma of hatred in the end :/

Tamanon

Banned
I honestly bought the game several months ago, US version, played an hour of it, then never played it again.

On the other hand, got my copy of Tales of Eternia for the PSP in and have been playing the hell out of it, great port. I may have been fighting battles while taking a massive crap.:p

duckroll

Tales of Legendia has almost nothing going for it. It's boring, generic and aside from the excellent soundtrack, a total disappointment in terms of content. The characters suck balls too, worst Tales character cast in years. The worst thing about ToL is that the game gets worse the more you play. It's REALLY long, but offers absolutely nothing new as you progress on and on. Just a bunch of filler pretending to be a game worth 60 bucks. Fail.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
duckroll said:
Tales of Legendia has almost nothing going for it. It's boring, generic and aside from the excellent soundtrack, a total disappointment in terms of content. The characters suck balls too, worst Tales character cast in years. The worst thing about ToL is that the game gets worse the more you play. It's REALLY long, but offers absolutely nothing new as you progress on and on. Just a bunch of filler pretending to be a game worth 60 bucks. Fail.

My hero!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
duckroll said:
How about for 9.80 paid in juicy American Dollars?

Shouta

ethelred said:
The dungeons aren't just "pretty bland," they're absolutely 100% boring, unoriginal, atrocious -- Namco created one room for each dungeon and then just hit CTRL+V a bunch of times. Combat isn't just vanilla -- they took a huge step back from all the innovations they had made to the series' combat system. Characters were slow, clunky, possesed few basic moves, etc.

Dungeons are bland but are short and not very complex (with one or two execptions). I can't really knock them on it as much because I don't have to suffer through them much at all. I've gone through several of the dungeons with only 2 encounters while using Holy bottles.

Few basic moves? Did you finish the game? I can understand not liking the fact there aren't some of the nifty subsystems but all of the crazy looking regular moves are in the game. I do miss the super pretty and over the top hi-ougis though.

I think Legendia does a better job of providing a wide array of abilities for each of its (melee) characters than any of the other Tales games I've played. There's some attacks in the game that I've never seen in other Tales games even on similar style characters. Hell, even the mages have a pretty wide variety of magic that makes them different (well, not so much Shirley but I don't know what the hell is up with her).

I'll agree on the sluggish part for stopping your character to run in the other direction. That's the only time it seems kind of sluggish. Otherwise, the game moves pretty damn well in combat.

The story is... well, it's good as far as the Tales games go, but I wouldn't even consider that the best in the series, and it's certainly not enough to push the game up over the poor gameplay and dungeon design.

Its story is definitely not the best but I do think it's better than Eternia, Symphonia, and to a minor extent, Destiny. Destiny II still has the best story thus far IMO.

kiryogi said:
And uh.. what chapter are you on?

Chloe's Character Quest.

kiryogi said:
also and destiny 2j's story was a giant horrible time paradox. What are you on? That was the only thing wrong with it though. Tod2j's characters were just outright charming tho. Kyle/Reala is probably my 2nd or 3rd most favorite couple in the series. With Luke/Tear being first and Senel/Chloe in the fight with Kyle/Reala. While story wise, it's probably between Legendia and Abyss. But... your commentary makes you seem that you're still early Shouta.

The Time Paradox argument came up about Silmeria's story too on the GFaqs boards. :lol

Destiny II's story is quite good unless you're trying to wrap your brain around thinking of the details in a specific manner. I liked the cast but not as much as I like Legendia's cast. Kyle is a bit too much like Stahn and Reala is too much like the porcelain doll/quiet girl character type. Harold was pretty amusing if only because they made her this whacko scientist. Nanaly had about as much personality as a brick. Judas and Loni were the two best characters in the game by far.

SailorDaravon said:
I know, that's the problem! Disagreeing on games is one thing, but between the 3 of you there's usually at least 2 polar opposites which makes it harder for the rest of us :(

Sorry, I'm not going to make it easy on you by agreeing with duckroll and Bebpo!

kiryogi said:
Sadly though, having to tolerate the gameplay for the story ended up giving me a huge stigma of hatred in the end :/

I have no major issues with the gameplay myself. In fact, it's kind of nice to play a very straightforward Tales game. Destiny II had the zoning system which was a pain in the ass to fight most of the time even if it was the biggest reason the gameplay is top-notch.

I'm actually having fun sailing through the character quests because I don't need to fight very much at all now. I've gone through several of the dungeons with under a handful of random fights because of Holy Bottles. So it's basically been almost a solid 8 hours of story. :lol

SailorDaravon said:
I was set on starting Otogi 2 tommorrow, but maybe I should crack open my copy of this and see how it is.

The game has a really odd start since it doesn't spend a lot of time explaining lore or what's going on. The pacing seems kind of weird for the first few hours until you start hitting some of the bigger events. After that point, the pacing becomes really good and is pretty much smooth sailing until the end of the main scenario.

Honestly though, the American version IS missing the voice acting for the second half of the game. The VAing in the JP version of the game really helps the second half since it's so character driven.

Amir0x

Banned
Everyone point and look. Definitive proof that Shouta must be wrong about FFXII. Yes, all FFXII haters and slowly falling for the traps. None will be left 'til Matsuno's grave :D

kiryogi

Banned
Eh, if you're on Chloe's quest (Which extremely rocks), then whats this about no racism?

Spoiler related to the first half of the game:
After chapter 4, it became a total racial mess with the sea people and the ground people

And the thing about Reala was, she was actually far from her archtype. The scene with her proving Kyle wrong on the boat is probably one of the most memorable moments for me from the Tales series. Meanwhile, Kyle, well... I can't say I liked him at first. His whole deal about wanting to be a hero was rather irritating. But once he matured, he was quite lovable. Nanaly was pretty plain, but seeing an entire skit image of her chokeholding Loni is great. Harold wins just for being one of the only folks to give Mr. Oedipus complex a bit of a run around. Judas is just outright badass.

Also back on Legendia, I don't recall having that much luck with Holy Bottles. I know Bebpo tried and still ended up pretty irritated. The whole concept of making you walk out of a goddamned dungeon is irritating.

edit: also shouta, who are you for? shirley x senel or chloe x senel? XD

Shouta

Amir0x said:
Everyone point and look. Definitive proof that Shouta must be wrong about FFXII. Yes, all FFXII haters and slowly falling for the traps. None will be left 'til Matsuno's grave

I'll eat you!

kiryogi said:
Eh, if you're on Chloe's quest (Which extremely rocks), then whats this about no racism?

After chapter 4, it became a total racial mess with the sea people and the ground people

You played the JP version of the game I take it.

It's not racism, far from it in fact. There's centuries and centuries of animosity between the Ferines and whatever the correct term is for the Ground/Land people. There certainly should be animosity after all that fighting and the fact the Ground people invaded Ferines' planet and terraformed it.

kiryogi said:
And the thing about Reala was, she was actually far from her archtype. The scene with her proving Kyle wrong on the boat is probably one of the most memorable moments for me from the Tales series.

Reala very much similar to her character type except when the story called for it. She's quiet and passive most of the time.

kiryogi said:
Also back on Legendia, I don't recall having that much luck with Holy Bottles. I know Bebpo tried and still ended up pretty irritated. The whole concept of making you walk out of a goddamned dungeon is irritating.

Holy Bottles are godly for me. Battle rate reduction is drastic and that's on top of Legendia's lower encounter rate when compared to other Tales games.

edit: also shouta, who are you for? shirley x senel or chloe x senel? XD

Senel and Stella! If it weren't for the fact she's dead. I'd be more inclined to go with Chloe and Senel as a couple since they compliment each other more than Shirley and Senel. Even Norma and Senel together would be better than Shirley and Senel

Sagitario

Amir0x said:
ebgames/gamestop recently changed it to $49.99... i hope that's just an error, 'cause they used to have it as $29.99 too :9

Amazon and CDUniverse still have the $29.99 price...

$30 FTW!

Bebpo

Banned
Unlike duckroll, I agree with Kiryogi that ToL has a very good cast and great voice acting in the Japan version. But the problem is that the plot-heavy 2nd half of the game is so incredibly awful that the more you play the more you don't give a crap about the cast because the game is just so bad and won't end. By the end of all that you'll probably hate everyone in the game just because they didn't die and end the game at 30 hours in.

The battle system is weak, but it's playable and the graphics+music are great. The story in the first half isn't ground breaking but compared to the horrible stories of the other non-Abyss Tales games it's pretty solid. It's really just the 2nd half that kills the game and you aren't there yet. Back in the day I said the first 30 hours were a fun B+ rpg, but the 2nd 30 hours were F- so it's a D+ game overall.

You should probably just quit after you beat the main story arc at 30 hours in.

kiryogi

Banned
Shouta said:
You played the JP version of the game I take it.

Yes I did, you even questioned me if the writing and acting was any good at all when I was praising it to high heaven.

In any case on that racism comment. I suppose its more of a grey area, as a lot of folks ended up interpretating it as racism. Not to mention the themes of Senel being ground and Shirley being of the sea.

ethelred

Well, I'd rather Abyss be 29.99$, but I'm buying it regardless of the price. One of my most wanted games this year.

Sagitario

Himuro said:
The main character in Abyss looks badass. He looks like he's in his 20's. What an odd change of pace for the jrpg genre!
animeation_movie4b.jpg

kiryogi said:
Luke is 17 actually, with Tear being 16.
I really like Tear design...
tear_pic1.jpg

Going on-topic again:
ToL first half = good
ToL optional second half = bad

I enjoyed ToP GBA, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this one...

kiryogi

Banned
Farore said:
animeation_movie4b.jpg

I really like Tear design...
tear_pic1.jpg

Going on-topic again:
ToL first half = good
ToL optional second half = bad

I enjoyed ToP GBA, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this one...

Tear is my most favorite main female lead with Chloe being 2nd. :D

Like Xeno, I wonder of the Legendia hate. I'm the first to admit Legendia is the worst in the series, but it's not that bad--it's pretty good/decent.

Basically: Music's amazing, story's alright, art's excellent, battle system's OK, dungeons are kind of sucky, and all of the second half of the game reeks.

Shouta

Bebpo said:
Unlike duckroll, I agree with Kiryogi that ToL has a very good cast and great voice acting in the Japan version. But the problem is that the plot-heavy 2nd half of the game is so incredibly awful that the more you play the more you don't give a crap about the cast because the game is just so bad and won't end. By the end of all that you'll probably hate everyone in the game just because they didn't die and end the game at 30 hours in.

I'm halfway through the second part of the game (about 45 hours logged but about 5 of them were spent idling and doing other stuff) and I disagree.

The second half is really nice in that it doesn't feel like its forced character development. Often, RPGs will try to fit a character's story into the main game and it sort of feels out of place or makes the game feel longer than it should. The way Legendia is setup, if you want to know more about the characters, you can and you don't have to spend time doing so in the main story. I think it's a wonderful way of doing it, especially for a Tales game because they're so character heavy.

Also, one of the reasons I'm enjoying it so much is that each chapter is focused solely on that character and that character alone. There's nothing really interfering with the development and so you get a better impact for the story sequences. The first chapter (A Flower and a Promise) in the Character Quests is a great example of this. Had it happened in the main game, even as a side quest, it wouldn't have any sort of impact at all. I mean sheesh, I really got into it as well as the second chapter.

Bebpo said:
You should probably just quit after you beat the main story arc at 30 hours in.

Too late, 45 hours in!

kiryogi said:
Yes I did, you even questioned me if the writing and acting was any good at all when I was praising it to high heaven.

I don't recall, oh well.

kiryogi said:
In any case on that racism comment. I suppose its more of a grey area, as a lot of folks ended up interpretating it as racism. Not to mention the themes of Senel being ground and Shirley being of the sea.

It's not really a grey area unless you totally ignore what actually happened in the story. If you want classic Tales racism, Symphonia has it in spades!

Himuro: You want a cool older character? Will from Legendia rocks. He's 28 years old. He's easily my favorite male character from all the Tales games thus far, especially after his Character Quest.

kiryogi

Banned
Shouta said:
It's not really a grey area unless you totally ignore what actually happened in the story. If you want classic Tales racism, Symphonia has it in spades!

Actually Rebirth takes the cake there.

In regard to what you mentioned about the character quests. It really helped the pacing to the the first half. (which I like to refer to like anime arcs with that being 1-4 and 5-7) The game's presentation had it all really. The music, the writing, the pacing, the characters, the visuals (the battle animations were motion-captured so it's a real treat), and the actors. Unfortunately, its all I can give it today. :lol

However back on the arc thing. The character quests aren't really an optional choice, it's basically the 3rd arc of the series and continues straight from the main scenario. The whole optional impression was what led Hometek to slash the va in the 2nd half D:

Shouta

Attack animations in Legendia are pretty damn badass especially a lot of Senel's later techniques.

Character Quests are optional, in the sense you don't need to play them to experience the game. The main scenario is the meat of the game and you can play until that if you want. If you want more about the characters and what seems to be another story arc, then the CQs are important. It'd be like the Slayers anime. Slayers, Next and Try are all the same series but you can basically stop at the end of the Slayers and not go on to the other series if you want.

duckroll

FateBreaker said:
I hope this whole thread is a moral to NOT JUDGE THE DAMN THING UNLESS YOU'VE PLAYED IT.

So does this mean we'll stop hearing any hype from you about Xenosaga or Tales of the Abyss until you've played it? It goes both ways! :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll said:
So does this mean we'll stop hearing any hype from you about Xenosaga or Tales of the Abyss until you've played it? It goes both ways! :lol
yeah and he bashed Persona 3 without even playing it! where is the moral there? :lol

Error2k4 said:
yeah and he bashed Persona 3 without even playing it! where is the moral there? :lol

Uh, no I didn't.

I just said, from the impressions coming in, that it wasn't sounding like SMT or Persona very much, and I was ultimately getting discouraged.

Shouta

Poor Bebpo, took him 45 minutes to go through and get out of those old dungeons. Those holy bottles must have hated him. :lol

Manaka

I really enjoyed Tales of Legendia for the first half (like almost everyone else )
The second half wasn't that bad, but I think they should have made the chapters a little bit shorter (minus one or two of the old dungeons)
The stories about the characters ,like Shouta wrote, are quite good, but because of the dungeons I was about to lose the interest ...well, glad I played the japanese version ^^

btw,

Actually some only pretend that they don't like Tales of Legendia
It's just that if there's praise,duckroll notices it
and most likely writes something to convince everybody that ToL sucks :lol
:(

->
duckroll said:
Just a bunch of filler pretending to be a game worth 60 bucks. Fail.

I knew it :lol

I stopped when the first arc ended. Because of:

A) More difficult battles = more time in them = more annoying since the battle isn't that exciting and doesn't get upgrades. Oh, and the same dungeons :/

B) NO ****ING US VOICE ACTING IN THE 2nd ARC. That killed it for me.

I'd actually play the 2nd arc with JP voices but I don't have a savegame there and I'm not familiar with the voices. So its a dead-end for me.

For a RPG it was above average, but it certainly dissapointed me because it was a tales, it shined in things it wasn't supposed to do (music, characters) and battles, customization and such were very dull.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm suprised you enjoyed it that much...

I also played the JP version last fall, and while I enjoyed it for a bit, it became obvious that the gameplay was just terrible. The dungeons are painful, the battle system is boring, and the game feels ultra linear. The acting and writing was entertaining, the visuals were great and the music was ace, but everything else was terrible. Then, I bought Tales of the Abyss on launch day...and my opinion lowered even further. Abyss features *MUCH* better gameplay (best battle system in series, good dungeons, awesome world with tons of variety), best story in the series (while still anime-ish, it doesn't fall into the typical Tales cliches), great characters/VA/writing, solid visuals (though too much loading), decent soundtrack (the only Sakuraba/Tamura Tales soundtrack besides Phantasia that I enjoyed), and whole lot more. It's such a fun game and is easily the best in the series.

Top Bottom