• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Poll - own one or not? Plan to?

Do you own a Switch? Y/N. Plan to?

• Yes, and overall, I'm happy with it.

Votes: 144 59.0%
  • Yes, but overall, I'm unhappy with it.

Votes: 27 11.1%
  • No, and I have no interest in ever getting one.

Votes: 35 14.3%
  • No, but I might get either a standard or a Pro version, later.

Votes: 38 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BabyYoda

Banned
For some reason I'm never able to vote in any polls, but if I could, I'd choose "No, and I have no interest in ever getting one. " I like Nintendo of old, but nowadays they massively over charge for their games and devices and honestly, I don't don't like their games as much as I used too. I haven't loved a Mario game since Mario 64 tbh.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I own one and love it, games like FE Three Houses, Xenoblade 2, Astral Chain, Octopath Traveler, Mario Odyssey, BotW, Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario + Rabbits made console worth the price for me.

looking forward to games like SMTV, MHRise, Bayonetta 3, Bravely 2 and NMH3 for next year.

Last edited:

Gloomnivore

I’ve had one since launch and it’s been my most played format just about every week since then. It allows me to play games I otherwise wouldn’t have time for. If it were a dedicated TV console, I’d have used it a whole lot less.

Tschumi

I don't have one, and with a PS3 i have little excuse to get one, but i might trade in the ps3 for a switch some time in the future to give some of the games/remasters a go. Giving the new (er) Lumines a go might be fun. Second hand store shelves here are full of switch games, and if Japanese switch games support English it's looking like a very affordable next gaming hobby..

Last edited by a moderator:

FeldMonster

I don't have one, don't plan to, and frankly, I don't understand the appeal.

If you don't play Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon (e.g. you are more than 10 years old) why would you want one?

It has pitifully small and uncomfortable controls, is severly underpowered, and has the worst or nonexistent 3rd party support.

It is in this awkward middle ground between a real console and a smartphone with the disadvantages of each. At least on a smartphone I can access Xcloud, Stadia, etc.

Jooxed

Gold Member

If you don't play Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon (e.g. you are more than 10 years old) why would you want one?

It has pitifully small and uncomfortable controls, is severly underpowered, and has the worst or nonexistent 3rd party support.

It is in this awkward middle ground between a real console and a smartphone with the disadvantages of each. At least on a smartphone I can access Xcloud, Stadia, etc.

TIL Mario and Zelda are for 10 year olds. We better hang up our hats @hariseldon

kunonabi

I'll get one when the hardware stops being ass. Way too many issues with the Switch currently to function as a worthwhile handheld or console for me at the moment

Pejo

I'm just waiting for the pro to be announced so I can turn this thing into an emulator dream machine. It's a pretty good system but it really needs a performance boost.

Meesh

Yep.

Huge Switch advocate here and I think the following revisions and generations should be interesting moving forward.

While it doesnt have current blockbuster titles from 3rd parties really... it does have a few good ports that I found I really enjoy revisiting on the go.

We've got a ton of weird, quirky Japanese titles and some amazing rpgs/jrpgs. Square Enix and Atlus present!

Zelda and Monster Hunter Rise... do I need to say more? Metroid anyone?

There's some VC flavour but... not as robust as previous consoles.

Really it's a great time to own a Nintendo console, haven't been this pleased since Super Nintendo!!!

Saber

Gold Member
Big nope for me. Already had a bad experience with 3DS poor handheld shit. I'm pretty fine with my DS.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief

“When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis

I had the Switch since launch and I'm happy with it.

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Astral Chaim, Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Bayonetta 2, Octopath Traveler - the list can just keep going for why I like the Switch.

I always find this mentality towards Nintendo and their games funny. How many years have we heard Nintendo is for babies? It must suck to outgrow having fun.

reinking

Gold Member
We own three. I am happy with the first party titles I have played but overall unhappy with the systems. Joy-Con drift in two of the three consoles including a Switch Light so the whole unit had to be sent in for repair. Games stay at higher prices compared to other consoles. Online implementation is weak. Nintendo is making it harder for me to remain a fan this generation and if they do not make some significant changes I will probably skip their next console. Especially if it is another Switch version and not a fully featured new next gen system.

PrimeX

I was waiting for Pikmin 4 to force myself to buy one but now I know I was waiting in vain. Probably if there will be a Pro with really good specs, otherwise I'm getting a PS5

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
There were only 3 games that interested me and none came out yet so....Not interested for now.

Maybe when Metroid 4, Bayo 3 and No more heroes 3 hit.

I got bored of the Mario formula, I hated Breath of the wild because it got rid of what I liked in Zelda game, Xenoblade might be interesting but from what I understand needs too much time investment.

Since I'm more playing at home the portable side doesn't interest me that much.

I was a huge Nintendo fan until the Wii but its draught and the WiiU disapointed me so much (as well as the last 3 non remakes/remaster Zeldas).

So I may get one down the line when there will be games I'm interested in but so far huge disapointment.

TexMex

Day one adopter. Don't care for it. Keep it around for the one or two first party must haves a year. Own almost no multiplatform titles for it, I think just Ori/Hades.

I bought one a long time ago to play breath of the wild. After I was done with the game it’s just been collecting dust ever since.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
No, and zero interest because playing old Nintendo games is SO exciting!

Missed out on the latest Mario ROM dump gosh if only I had a Switch!
or an N64, or GC or Wii or an Emulator on a pc or a smartphone or toaster at this point

Last edited:
No, and not interested in getting one. I don't like handheld gaming and Nintendo first party games are not for me. The 3rd party games I would play already look and run better on my xbox so a switch would serve no purpose.

I am very interested.. If they would ever release a standalone docked only version capable of running games AT LEAST at native 1080p. I'd like to try Zelda and Mario (and some other games) but there's just no way I'll support 900p. Certainly not on a 65" TV.

So realistically it'll never happen. 😕

And they have mp 1, 2 and 3 on it, right? Or am i confused~

They might, that'd be a shame if you couldn't get those on there but I've found the first 2 aren't hard to emulate well. I just don't normally spend 300 bucks to play games I've already played so I want a new Metroid Prime to come out.

gundalf

Super happy with it, have it since the first restock batch came in.
Although at the moment I would be hesitant to recommend the standard Switch with a new version coming soon.

Top Bottom