• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Bwuh? I think you may have misinterpreted something.

017750gxb3c.jpg
017752soby4.jpg

I'm not even going to argue about since it I watched it yesterday and without due attention to names and all and it's just a random shot but the rest but their hair and eye colors are close enough. It's an anime, it's totally going to happen !

Unless you meant only the amnesia part. lol

Ange Vierge 01

Wow they sure kept those girls naked for like 70% of the show for no real reason. The yuri isn't even undertone, its on full display.

Negator

Ange Vierge - 01

Oh my god, all these VAs. This is insane. Oh my god, there's Final Fantasy crystals in this. Nice animation.

Wait, bath scene? Okay. Okay. Okay. Why is this still going? It's STILL going. WHY is this still going?

Now I know why the MC has light powers, to power all these light beams the show will need.

I'm not even going to argue about since it I watched it yesterday and without due attention to names and all and it's just a random shot but the rest but their hair and eye colors are close enough. It's an anime, it's totally going to happen !

Unless you meant only the amnesia part. lol

The young boy you are referring to is Angelo's younger brother, and he is as dead as his parents, his bloody body being shown crumpled in a heap on top of his mother. There's no way he can be the same character as Nero, the son of the mafia family leader who oversaw the killing of Angelo's family and who Angelo has come back to get revenge upon.

Soma S2 02

They put JoJo in my Soma??

Episode was great. I have become accustomed to the fast pace and think it suits this kind of show better. We didn't get a verdict on this episode, but that should be the first thing we see on episode 3

phaze

The young boy you are referring to is Angelo's younger brother, and he is as dead as his parents, his bloody body being shown crumpled in a heap on top of his mother. There's no way he can be the same character as Nero, the son of the mafia family leader who oversaw the killing of Angelo's family and who Angelo has come back to get revenge upon.

Okay I rewatched a few scenes and I hereby bow my head in eternal shame. ;In my defense, I don't think they spell out it was the Vanettis who did it and the mention of Nero being one of the killers flew above my head given that he seemed to be an ordinary goon.

It's still not completely off the table though. He could have survived being shot and got taken into the Vanetti family. The goon having Nero as his name too could be just a coincidence there to throw us (and Angelo) off. :p

Okay I rewatched a few scenes and I hereby bow my head in eternal shame. ;In my defense, I don't think they spell out it was the Vanetti's who did it and the mention of Nero being one of the killers flew above my head given that he seemed to be an ordinary goon.

It's still not completely off the table though. He could have survived being shot and got taken into the Vanetti family. The goon having Nero as his name too could be just a coincidence there to throw us (and Angelo) off. :p

This little bit made me raise an eyebrow, seems weird for the shooter to say that, when he's going to kill the kid on the spot anyway.
I guess he could've refered to Angelo, but then once again, why?

Yeah hosanna I'm not convinced that he is dead, if we only have the first episode to go by. All we hear is shots and then get a close up of his face with a few blood drops on it. That blood could very well just be the mother's. Then there is also that quote that CheapJuice pointed out. I'm 50/50 on it.

Eumi

God, what a dumb fucking show. I loved it. So goddamn much.

On to season 2 I guess, but for now y'all don't have to put up with my ramblings on old shit.

One final point though: man it's refreshing to have a tsundere character in Erina that isn't immediately all over our MC. Like, it's not a romantic situation but having Erina decide she hates him and then slowly come around to kind of acknowledging him against her wishes feels a lot more natural than immediately jumping into 'it's not like I like you or anything' territory, and I actually don't want to yell at her when she's tsundereing, which is rare for those characters. Although I still do when she's doing anything else.

I saw the point of that scene that
the kid will always seek revenge, which is what we have with Angelo

Yeah, and that raises the question why you would kill everyone else but one kid, and then let him escape and seek revenge? I'm no mafia member but that seems like a dumb move. Not to mention they search around the house, why even bother if you're going to let someone escape.

On the other hand we do see a mob member aiming at Angelo, and hesitating (?), firing, and obviously misses since Angelo comes to his friend with no gun wound.

Why would the mafia be worried about a kid anyway? Technically those guys can own anyone and anything with power (if we are using other works/real life as reference), so what does one kid do against a group of powerful men with tons of hired killers. What, fear that the kid would rat out to the cops? What would the cops do anyway. No idea whether cops are even really against this mafia family, they could all very well be in cahoots, if we again use other works as reference.

My point is, although there may be a reason why the man let Angelo escape, even if there wasn't he is the least of their worries.

Yeah hosanna I'm not convinced that he is dead, if we only have the first episode to go by. All we hear is shots and then get a close up of his face with a few blood drops on it. That blood could very well just be the mother's. Then there is also that quote that CheapJuice pointed out. I'm 50/50 on it.

The first episode is low on explicit exposition, true. I'll admit that I'm using some of the promotional material that I read before watching the show as additional information to use when interpreting it. The biography of Angelo on the official site clearly refers to the murder of his parents and younger brother, and if any of them are not dead that and the show is doing some extreme misdirection bordering on lying to the audience, which I would not be happy about.

Yeah, and that raises the question why you would kill everyone else but one kid, and then let him escape and seek revenge? I'm no mafia member but that seems like a dumb move. Not to mention they search around the house, why even bother if you're going to let someone escape.

I'll just point out here that the reason they're searching the house is to find a ledger kept by the father.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Love Live Sunshine connections to the old series is fun, but not in a "I get that reference!" kind of way. #itsallconnected

Of course it also brings up some world building issues like would the Sunshine girls have heard Muse songs that were not in the anime (of which there are tons), but hey, let's not think about it too much.

That said, the show also basically stands on its own and can exist without Muse - in the same way that the Muse girls were obsessed with Arise but it didn't matter that we never really knew their story. Yeah, it's the standard "girls work hard and achieve dreams while learning about themselves" anime slice of life story, but it's shaping up to be a good one. You don't even need a pointless school closure to motivate the characters. lol

sonicmj1

This little bit made me raise an eyebrow, seems weird for the shooter to say that, when he's going to kill the kid on the spot anyway.
I guess he could've refered to Angelo, but then once again, why?

Listening to that line in Japanese ("その子は俺たちを決して忘れない、生きてる限り"), the implication comes across pretty clearly that they're going to be worried about her child for as long as he remains alive. He's trying to explain to the mother why her child can't be spared.

If they didn't shoot her kid, Angelo would have heard some sort of noise confirming that, and he passed through the room where the shooting took place and didn't see anything. The police at the (ashes of the) house the next morning served to me as a kind of confirmation that everything had been followed through.

Listening to that line in Japanese ("その子は俺たちを決して忘れない、生きてる限り"), the implication comes across pretty clearly that they're going to be worried about her child for as long as he remains alive. He's trying to explain to the mother why her child can't be spared.

If they didn't shoot her kid, Angelo would have heard some sort of noise confirming that, and he passed through the room where the shooting took place and didn't see anything. The police at the (ashes of the) house the next morning served to me as a kind of confirmation that everything had been followed through.

Ah, yes, that does make more sense.

In that scene where Angelo comes back to see the house burned down, I remember the cops bringing the bodies out in bags. Were there 3 of them?

I mean it could easily be a place-in if there was, or simply be a body that still hadn't been brought out from the wreckage, but it would be nice info to have.

EDIT: Just checked for myself:

Not every anime needs to have a 'IT WAS ME DIO' twist. His family died. The mobster said what he did because it was the show's way of telling us that Angelo would always seek revenge. Nero didn't kill him for whatever reason, but I assume it's because he felt guilty and wanted to let the kid live.

Not every anime needs to have a 'IT WAS ME DIO' twist. His family died. The mobster said what he did because it was the show's way of telling us that Angelo would always seek revenge. Nero didn't kill him for whatever reason, but I assume it's because he felt guilty and wanted to let the kid live.

I hope I don't have to quote this in a few months when it turns out his brother is alive and the criminal mastermind.

TWILT

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma S2 E2
Holy fuck why are there two JoJo episodes this week
Great episode. I like how much Megumi has changed since the show began. Was worried about the show's pacing since the first episode was oddly really fast, but this was a lot better thankfully.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The Love Live Sunshine connections to the old series is fun, but not in a "I get that reference!" kind of way. #itsallconnected

Of course it also brings up some world building issues like would the Sunshine girls have heard Muse songs that were not in the anime (of which there are tons), but hey, let's not think about it too much.

That said, the show also basically stands on its own and can exist without Muse - in the same way that the Muse girls were obsessed with Arise but it didn't matter that we never really knew their story. Yeah, it's the standard "girls work hard and achieve dreams while learning about themselves" anime slice of life story, but it's shaping up to be a good one. You don't even need a pointless school closure to motivate the characters. lol

While there are some peculiar oddities with the original show, I think it's safe to say that songs that didn't feature in the show don't exist in that universe. Remember, they only existed as a group for one academic year. They establish that Maki wrote the music and Umi the words, and it would take nothing short of a miracle for two just people to write the entire µ's catalogue in that amount of time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shokugeki no Soma S2 02
G4Gr2i8.jpg

jigSovR.jpg

woa dude. a clash of deep philosophies
Season two continues the downward spiral of the end of the first season. This adaptation highlights some of the weakest parts of the manga and tends to deal them out in a weaker form. The backstories feel increasingly distant and slow. The explanatory bits about the food feel repetitive and uninformative. The titillation is overbearing and crudely drawn. It feels like there is little to not interaction between the contestants. There is no impact or emotion, just storybeats being spit out. Who is even supposed to get something out of an adaptation this lame and needless? They leave you on that end beat of "what is the final decision?" but it's such a weak stinger on a story that is obvious or known. Dropping this down from okay to bad tier.

Go_Ly_Dow

Shokugeki 2-2

SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMPSHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMPSHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMPSHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMPSHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMPSHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMPSHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP SHRIMP

SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPSSCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPSSCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPSSCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPSSCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS SCALLOPS

I understand why people who associate "anime writing" with works such as Valvrave and Mayoiga would expect that kind of writing from all anime, but I usually try to go into a show with the assumption that it is acting in good faith until it signals otherwise.

Can't say I was fond of this Soma episode either. Ryo is a terrible character so far and his backstory was dumb (even for this over the top world) and his views concerning cooking so flatly 'bad' that I can't give a damn about him. Him 'wild' mode when putting on the bandana is obnoxious as well.

I've also yet to see why exactly he and Alice are a close duo but then his backstory doesn't seem quite over yet.

Taruranto

How did these four even found each others?

Was the first part in the manga, or the meta jokes were just in the anime?

On the other hand we do see a mob member aiming at Angelo, and hesitating (?), firing, and obviously misses since Angelo comes to his friend with no gun wound.

The one who let him escape was Nero. He couldn't pull the trigger/missed intentionally. I don't understand why that scene raises questions? I thought it was pretty straightforward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom