• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
up4553ufsc9.jpg

I can't wait to see Sasami-san@Ganbaranai.

You all underestimate/"hating" Horizon too much, Its not really different than JRPG fans enjoying stuff like Growlanser or Atelier series for whom that enjoy it.

I just finished S1 yesterday (finally) and I've got to agree with sentiment that it's rather nonsensical, especially the whole history re-enactment part. I don't think I'm going to go on to S2 at this point.

Lurky

Popotan 9

This episode certainly wasn't as fun as the last one. It was basically more revisiting old locations again. But this time there's a non-twist at the end!
Edit: I really do hope they revisit the conclusion of this episode. It was very unsatisfying.

duckroll

Considering there are rumors that it might be multiple P3 movies instead of one, I doubt they'll want to make less money.

It's not really a rumor when the official twitter basically teased "how many parts will it be?" in one of their tweets. We might learn a bit more this Friday, since it's finally another full moon. (lol)

Kusagari

so Winter season:

Da Capo III
Haganai S2
Minami-ke S4
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
Vivid Red Operation

are afaik all confirmed animes for the winter season.

Oohh, had no idea they were doing another Minami-ke.

And, lol, Da Capo? I remember when I first got into anime, back in like 04-05, I watched that.

duckroll

so Winter season:

Da Capo III
Haganai S2
Minami-ke S4
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
Vivid Red Operation

are afaik all confirmed animes for the winter season.

AKB0048 S2 should also be a Winter series. The official site says it will air "at the start of 2013". GJ-bu is also Winter 2013.

Nafe

Yes it did, thank you. I take it you have read the novels?

Sure, no problem. Actually I haven't read the novels. Believe it or not all of what I said is actually in the show. Most of that is actually explained in the classroom sections during the second or third episode, whichever it was.

I'm not going to pretend to know everything about the show either. Even the concept of returning to "the heavens" is vague I believe. Most assume it is space but I think it's possible it could be something else as well such as another dimension or a higher plane or something. As far as the history re-creation goes I'm also not sure the reasons why they're following it almost exactly. Part of the story within the actual show is the main character Aoi saying that they don't really need the Testament Union and such. I believe part of the point of it is ultimately to be kind of a "your life isn't predetermined, you make up your own reasons for living" type of story.

Part of the story is there exists a book called "The Testament" which has some of the history of the old Earth and this what people are using as their guide. It was discovered to end on a certain date and people don't know why and assume it's the apocalypse. It's pretty similar to now a days with people looking at the Mayan calendar supposedly ending and the whole "Apocalypse 2012". If the Earth ends there will be no need for the Testament Union as pretty much it's whole reason for existence is to carry out the history re-creation, so some of why humanity is still carrying it out could be because of tensions surrounding the TU.

Plus, I'll agree that some plot points may still be silly but I can poke holes in other well known, beloved works that ultimately makes their stories seem silly and ultimately pointless as well. You could probably do this for any work really.

P.S. sorry for getting you on "the list."

As far as what Femmworth's "list" is, I'm not sure. I'm assuming it's a derogatory remark against me. If I ever actually start to care then I'll let you know. ;)

AKB0048 S2 should also be a Winter series. The official site says it will air "at the start of 2013".

LiXHr.gif

sonicmj1

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 8

This episode was alright.

The first half wasn't particularly funny, per se, but it held my interest. I, too, am fascinated by the wonders of Japanese vending machines.

iV3HkmJlzEqbh.png

It even adds the water for you! This is the pinnacle of civilization!

The direction in this half seemed rather unusual. There was a pretty heavy use of fish-eye lenses. I think they were mostly for shots meant to be in first-person, but it just came across as strange to me. I liked how the underwear in the dryer both served as a reminder of the rain and as an opportunity for one last gag.

The second half was similarly amusing without being funny. I know it's unfair to expect any kind of animation from Shaft, but I couldn't help comparing this musical performance with the exceptional stuff I've seen from other studios. There was some good energy at times, and the song is surprisingly enjoyable, but I also noticed some pretty lazy pans and parts where they didn't bother trying to animate the mouth movements anywhere close to the lyrics.

ifekiBWa5CD3G.png

At least they don't use garish and distracting digital lighting like some shows.

The ED also makes more sense now, and is more fun by extension.

Kazzy

Fun fact: Persona 4 volume 10 actually outsold volume 1 in first week BD+DVD numbers. Power of the True End episode, I guess.

Which reminds me, I need to finish off the series at some point. I kind of lost steam with it, which was only compounded with the whole "True Ending" revelation. But maybe as a series, one of the lesser endings would have worked, because Christ, are they morbid!

As for the show itself, I enjoyed the side-stuff they did with the characters, and actually liked that they didn't carry out a slavish rendering of the original story. I can completely understand why people didn't like it, but as a fan going in, it delivered what I wanted, which was the fanservice prospect of simply spending more time with those characters.

And Persona 3 would need more than one movie if it wanted to do right by its story. A series is maybe unnecessary, because for as much exposition there is within the story, it could be tightened up, particularly in the middle. I think that P4 is the better game, in every regard, but P3 has that ending. It certainly comes good on its central narrative themes/motifs, which would I get a kick out of seeing animated.

Which reminds me, I need to finish off the series at some point. I kind of lost steam with it, which was only compounded with the whole "True Ending" revelation. But maybe as a series, one of the lesser endings would have worked, because Christ, are they morbid!

As for the show itself, I enjoyed the side-stuff they did with the characters, and actually liked that they didn't carry out a slavish rendering of the original story. I can completely understand why people didn't like it, but as a fan going in, it delivered what I wanted, which was the fanservice prospect of simply spending more time with those characters.

And Persona 3 would need more than one movie if it wanted to do right by its story. A series is maybe unnecessary, because for as much exposition there is within the story, it could be tightened up, particularly in the middle. I think that P4 is the better game, in every regard, but P3 has that ending. It certainly comes good on its central narrative themes/motifs, which would I get a kick out of seeing animated.

I hope TRUE END and I guess the DC of ep 25, addressed all the concerns I had for that awful ep 25 of the series.

Naruto SD 22

Uh, pretty boring. Gags weren't funny, teaching kids to be hard workers is pretty boring. Nice animation boost in the middle but I guess they are running out of things to really do anymore.

BluWacky

teaching kids to be hard workers is pretty boring

Isn't that the agenda of battle shounen, though? That with enough hard work, regardless if other people are cooler/more intelligent/generally better than you, you can win at life through punching things really hard?

cajunator

Banned
Madoka END

Interesting. So... I don't get it. What's the point of the movies?

To make more $$$ ^o^

Popotan 6

Well they worked out that first issue real damn quickly but then new drama arises! ...Which they also work out pretty quickly but in the most typical way ever.
They make Mai give up the life that she spent five years making so that they can travel together again.
So sad... =[

Mai is Popotan's emotional scapegoat. Her heart gets trampled on so much.
Poor thing.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-08-28/compile-heart-neptunia-rpgs-also-get-anime

hahahahaha
apparently it's not fully confirmed yet but I still have to post this
hahahahaha

I'm not even gonna lie. I'm totally watching it.

I can't wait to see Sasami-san@Ganbaranai.

OMG HNNNG ALERT

Kazzy

I hope TRUE END and I guess the DC of ep 25, addressed all the concerns I had for that awful ep 25 of the series.

Hm, I never made it that far. I think I watched as far as the whole Investigation team being assembled, and was satisfied to wait the rest of it out.

I may have to dig up that episode, though, if only to satiate my own morbid curiosity. I do begin to wonder how they handled it, because the multiple permutations of the ending within the game were all quite interesting.

survivor

Banned
Isn't that the agenda of battle shounen, though? That with enough hard work, regardless if other people are cooler/more intelligent/generally better than you, you can win at life through punching things really hard?

Actually, Naruto sorta ignores all of that. It's all about inheriting broken powers and bloodline abilities. Hard work gets you nowhere.

Friendship + Perseverance > Hard Work. All Hard work gets you is a position as a permanent side character (for example Rock Lee, Chad (bleach), Kazu (AG :( ))

OMG HNNNG ALERT

just look at the list with the voice actresses

Kana Asumi as Sasami Tsukuyomi, the hikikomori (Yuno, Popura)
Chiwa Saito as Tsurugi Yagami, the big sister (Senjougahara)
Kana Hanazawa as Kagami Yagami, the middle sister (hngzawa!)
Ai Nonaka as Tama Yagami, the little sister (Kafuka, Meme)

You will need some moe ear protectors for this show.

cajunator

Banned
just look at the list with the voice actresses

Kana Asumi as Sasami Tsukuyomi, the hikikomori (Yuno, Popura)
Chiwa Saito as Tsurugi Yagami, the big sister (Senjougahara)
Kana Hanazawa as Kagami Yagami, the middle sister (hngzawa!)
Ai Nonaka as Tama Yagami, the little sister (Kafuka, Meme)

You will need some moe ear protectors for this show.

oh my god. OH MY GOD.
Yes that is a great list full of goddesses.
Its missing Chiaki though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just feel like there's nothing to Yui.
Well out of the main four she VA is the best looking. To be frank that's not saying much.

oh my god
HA HA! Nice to see you liked it.

AKB0048 S2 should also be a Winter series. The official site says it will air "at the start of 2013". GJ-bu is also Winter 2013.
Couldn't have asked for a better birthday gift.

Team Yui or bust

Team Yui... That really narrows it down to which anime you're talking about this season.

Motto To Love-ru 12
And the cliffhanger from the last episode was resolved in like 2 minutes before the OP...
Well anyways, this episode turned out to be one long pool episode, no side stories or anything. More like how the first series was, which is nice. Odd that Saki and her two friends never made an appearance in this last episode, but oh well.
Indecision wins again with Rito still not choosing which girl he likes the most. Though it seems Lala wouldn't actually mind some polygamy...
A fun show, not the greatest ever, but it's one of those shows I could watch forever. And with that I'm finally ready for To Love-ru Darkness

Grzi

Just watched Saint Seiya Omega 20.
Great stuff, the last couple of minutes were amazing, too bad all of the episodes couldn't look that way.
Hopefully we'll get more of that stuff in the second half of the show, I expect some cool shit to happen around the midway point (should be episode 25, right).

Motto To Love-ru 12

And the cliffhanger from the last episode was resolved in like 2 minutes before the OP...
Well anyways, this episode turned out to be one long pool episode, no side stories or anything. More like how the first series was, which is nice. Odd that Saki and her two friends never made an appearance in this last episode, but oh well.
Indecision wins again with Rito still not choosing which girl he likes the most. Though it seems Lala wouldn't actually mind some polygamy...
A fun show, not the greatest ever, but it's one of those shows I could watch forever. And with that I'm finally ready for To Love-ru Darkness

Watch the Darkness OVA now. Your reaction should be awesome coming off of TLR vanilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom