• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 6 is releasing in 2023

Visually, what immediately jumped-out is seeing yet another game employing the blue-purple-pink & neon color scheme and that Capcom needs to strike a better balance between abstract and realism with their characters. I didn't find anything in the trailer impressive, but whether I'll even maintain some interest depends on how much SF6 exists--at least at launch--as purely a platform for the tournament circuit.

Extremely bold move from Capcom not to put it on Switch given that that’s what sells in Japan…but I guess it’ll come to the next gen Switch.

Hope this has full crossplay

They probably have enough data from SFIV on the 3DS to maybe think fighters on Nintendo systems that aren't Smash aren't worth the effort? Though they could be waiting for Switch 2, as you said.

Crossplay between consoles at least needs to happen for sure. Consoles & PC will probably be there, but SFV had some issues where PC players could patch in netcode changes and console players couldn't, not to mention the mods on PC that console players wouldn't have (especially the NSFW ones), etc. They should at least make PC crossplay optional like SFV does currently.

ShadowLag

Oh hell yess

1TmSz0A.png

9cCqH8n.png

Ozriel

M$FT
They probably have enough data from SFIV on the 3DS to maybe think fighters on Nintendo systems that aren't Smash aren't worth the effort? Though they could be waiting for Switch 2, as you said.

Crossplay between consoles at least needs to happen for sure. Consoles & PC will probably be there, but SFV had some issues where PC players could patch in netcode changes and console players couldn't, not to mention the mods on PC that console players wouldn't have (especially the NSFW ones), etc. They should at least make PC crossplay optional like SFV does currently.

Yeah, but SF on the 3DS was a late port, and the stripped down consoles kinda made it not too great. And PlayStation was still king in Japan at the time.

Nowadays, the vast majority of gamers in Japan are on Switch.

I guess the hardware’s way too old at this point. Hoping Switch 2 shows up 2024 at the latest.

killatopak

While I really liked what they showed off here, Chun-li has that weird look for me.

Kinda like an uncanny valley something. I prefer her SFV face.

Some short observations:

Ugh... 90's aesthetics are back...
Wow, does Ryu really look a bit asian after 30 something years?
Chun Li's outfit looks pretty interesting.
The graphics in all look dated as fuck.
Open World and Character Creation (?) in SF? Please Capcom, just don't.
Almost hat a heart attack in the first few seconds where you can see 30fps background animations like the fucking shitfuck stages in SF5, but then going on, it seems, everything is smooth. phew...

Glad we're getting a Series version due to the ultra low-latency controller.

Is that really your main reason? 😂

I figure most pro players will want to use arcade sticks or Hitboxes anyway. But speaking of controllers, I'm curious what Dualsense options it'll support. I'm sure it can support at least some.

While I really liked what they showed off here, Chun-li has that weird look for me.

Kinda like an uncanny valley something. I prefer her SFV face.

Well, it's not as off-putting as her initial look in MvC: Infinite. Her face does look a bit more doll-like in this though compared to SFV and that's probably not just due to artstyle changes.

I was too busy focusing on her butt and thighs tho, so I barely noticed.

Yeah, but SF on the 3DS was a late port, and the stripped down consoles kinda made it not too great. And PlayStation was still king in Japan at the time.

Nowadays, the vast majority of gamers in Japan are on Switch.

I guess the hardware’s way too old at this point. Hoping Switch 2 shows up 2024 at the latest.

No it wasn't. The Wii did way more in Japan than PS3 and 360, probably combined. And if 3DS could've ran a (scaled back) version of SFIV, the Wii definitely could have.

But I understand what you're saying, and yeah, it's probably because they'd have to scale too much back. Even the PS4 is far and wide ahead of the Switch, and that's the lowest spec SFVI supports. It should definitely get a Switch 2 port for its launch, though, whenever Nintendo actually releases the Switch 2.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Ryu and Chun-Li look awesome, but I still hate Luke's hair. Also, I wonder if it's going to have a character creation mode since there was an unknown generic fighter roaming around the city/hub? (Or was that Luke?)

I'm cautiously optimistic, and thank GOD it's on XBox as well this time. :)

Last edited:
Ryu and Chun-Li look awesome, but I still hate Luke's hair. Also, I wonder if it's going to have a character creation mode since there was an unknown generic fighter roaming around the city/hub? (Or was that Luke?)

I'm cautiously optimistic, and thank GOD it's on XBox as well this time. :)

Seems like there's a character creator mode this time. I might have a little fun with it tho really don't care too much about them. I'm more interested in the story this time and how it's going to be told in that exploration format.

Net positive it's coming to Xbox systems this time, we'll get to see which console base has the better SF players 😁

looks sick.

parries are back?

They are?

Looks pretty damn good. Loving the hiphop direction. The game has an identity now. I haven't played a Street Fighter game in years, I'll probably give this one a shot.

Also, Chun Li looks proper Chinese this time LOL

I'd of preferred more instrumentals if they were going the hiphop route, especially jazz rap style kind of like what 3S did. Otherwise I was really hoping for a return to jungle & DnB, maybe more House music too. Maybe that'll still be there.

I'm just glad Chun is as cute and thicc as ever. But also hoping that girl she's training is the orphan from 3S, that might be too far ahead story-wise though.

Last edited:
I'm confused by what I saw, looked like Yakuza for a second.

What happened to Ken anyway? Weird that they wouldn't feature the main character in the trailer.

Last edited:
Looks great, looks like SF alright, the more realistic look will take a bit getting used to, but I'm already loving all the new tech being showed off, like actually flexing muscles.

Going by the looks, I'd say they've gone past SF3 timeline wise, because that girl was definitely Li-fen, chun-li's student/daughter.

Stuart360

What was with the weird walking around the city bit. Maybe a old school bonus stage or something?

Last edited:

GymWolf

It looks barely better than sf5, crossgen strikes again.

Fucking capcom is gonna make mhw2 crossgen aswell don't they :goog_neutral:

Curious to see if they can make a worse looking ken than sf5.

Going by the looks, I'd say they've gone past SF3 timeline wise, because that girl was definitely Li-fen, chun-li's student/daughter.

That's what it looks like to me as well, but still not 100% sure yet. They really do need to go post-3S at this point, though. Obviously they can still have the old guard present while introducing newer characters.

Tekken somehow makes it work, SF should be able to, as well.

That's what it looks like to me as well, but still not 100% sure yet. They really do need to go post-3S at this point, though. Obviously they can still have the old guard present while introducing newer characters.

Tekken somehow makes it work, SF should be able to, as well.
It's got to be man, either they change the timeline, or the girl is not (older) li-fen which would actually be worse, there's no reason anyone else should wear their hair like chun-li.

There's real time commentary now as a feature, that's pretty slick:

Edit: sick music too, glad to see SF6 will continue the great tracks from SF5

Can't wait to hear pre-recorded commentary randomly cut off as it tries matching up with what players are doing.

Also yeah, guess parries are back after all. Nice. Well, they were in SFV too with select characters but the built-in buffer window kind of didn't make them 'real" parries so hopefully they are real parries in 6.

It's got to be man, either they change the timeline, or the girl is not (older) li-fen which would actually be worse, there's no reason anyone else should wear their hair like chun-li.

Hope you're right, fingers crossed.

Wonder what SF3 characters they'll bring back then other than Makoto since she's pretty much a lock. I wouldn't mind having Kolin come back with some purpose beyond Gill. Need Dudley or maybe a protege of his in there for some more boxing variety. If they can't bring Twelve and Remy back then at least bring more of their moveset to characters where it makes sense.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I'm not sure how people think this is better graphics/visuals, if they are going to stick with the old school character look then they could of done so much more with the graphical fidelity, the style is so off. I can't quite explain it but graphics/style wise, this does not look good at all. It's just some hybrid weird style with the character models being cartoony and slightly more realistic at the same time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom