• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streaming is gonna lead gaming alright........ right off a cliff!

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Listen, allow me to break this down

Streaming sucks and it will never be good. Unless these guys break the laws of relativity, then it will always be abysmal.

Nobody wants to play crap where you get lags and freezes. You don't feel like you have any real ownership of these games and don't really even want real ownership.

This is why gamer's have rejected this technology. It will always be obsolete.

Sick of these Streamers coming in here trying to mess with everyone's good time.

If these companies had it their way, which thankfully they don't, they'd lead the industry alright, right off a cliff!

Trunim

I'm only hyped for streaming if it comes to my Quest 2. I want to play Lone Echo and I don't have a PC.

Gamerguy84

It's not bad for certain types of games. I played through Infamous 2 on PSNOW and it wasn't bad at all.

I have a fiber gig connection with very good latency. Maybe I live closer to a data center I don't know but it really was very playable. I wouldn't try playing a shooter like doom or racing game though

Nothing will beat local gaming though.

bender

What time is it?
Tell that to the mass market who play multiplayer games that depend on low latency.

Sure thing chief.

Dear mass market who play multiplayer games that depend on low latency,

Streaming is the future. Convenience is more important than quality. An app on a TV or phone/tablet is more important than a dedicated device. Subscriptions will lead the way. Consume, consume, consume.

Love,
Bender "your robot overlord" Rodriguez

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Streaming is the future. Convenience is more important than quality. An app on a TV or phone/tablet is more important than a dedicated device. Subscriptions will lead the way. Consume, consume, consume.

giphy.gif

clarky

Gold Member
Its alright for certain types of games or to try something out for 10 mins to see if its worth a download. I think MS has it right as a bonus to gamepass ( Sony as well but I've not tried NOW or what ever it is), as a singular platform I don't think it will take off any time soon.

Fahdis

Listen, allow me to break this down

Streaming sucks and it will never be good. Unless these guys break the laws of relativity, then it will always be abysmal.

Nobody wants to play crap where you get lags and freezes. You don't feel like you have any real ownership of these games and don't really even want real ownership.

This is why gamer's have rejected this technology. It will always be obsolete.

Sick of these Streamers coming in here trying to mess with everyone's good time.

If these companies had it their way, which thankfully they don't, they'd lead the industry alright, right off a cliff!

Ignorant opinion with no thought.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Its alright for certain types of games or to try something out for 10 mins to see if its worth a download. I think MS has it right as a bonus to gamepass ( Sony as well but I've not tried NOW or what ever it is), as a singular platform I don't think it will take off any time soon.
This is the correct answer if it is a bonus option i think it is great. If your on the road and dont want to bring your ps5 or xbox then you can use the cloud for a slower paced game for example.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Well put. A streaming-only platform/scenario will not work well now, maybe in a generation or two. At this point streaming is best as a supporting thing and having it bundled with an active subscription and not having people pay for it separately is the best way to go about it right now.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Streaming is good now. Has been for a while. I use it nearly every day. On a recent trip I took my iPad and an Xbox controller and played games in a hotel room every night for a week with no issues.

It won't replace local installs any time soon, but in a pinch it's perfectly reasonable. I can see a lot of people being perfectly happy with it as is.

Someone needs to lead you off a cliff.

It will be an option and a good one for certain games
It won't replace traditional ways of consuming video games.

It might open up new ways of enjoying games if they can move some of the processing tasks to the cloud. Persistent worlds, advanced AI, destruction and physics.

It is absolutely fine...as a supplemental add-on included with a high value subscription for convenience and accessibility.

3520_freeman_point.png

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
I hope you all have shelves full of records instead of settling for shitty mp3 listened through El cheapo earbuds.

Streaming is an amazing alternative when it works right. Xcloud is great. I can jump on games right in without downloads. Even play games that I can't even run on my PC like flight simulator or Gears 2/3. Playing on PC then picking the same game on my phone and continue. Lots of use cases. Underated tech.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not everyone has the money or interest to buy consoles or PCs. What they probably got is a smartphone and a TV at home. They can game on those using cloud streaming. It wont be as good as a wired connection or dedicated box with the game installed, but not everyone cares about gaming at perfect quality or lowest latency.

It's no different than sales of core gaming vs. mobile. Most gamers on GAF are probably console and PC riggers. Mobile gaming is supposed to be pure junk. Yet the best industry sales (also growing at the highest rate too) come from mobile. So something isnt aligned. Either gamers on forums are bullshitting and they do mobile too and dont want to admit it, or they are simply in the minority. For every console or PC rig they game on with games installed, there's shit loads more mobile gamers around the world.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Ok. So are you saying that something bad is going to happen in the next week or so?
Psybear.jpg

Someone needs to lead you off a cliff.

It will be an option and a good one for certain games
It won't replace traditional ways of consuming video games.

It might open up new ways of enjoying games if they can move some of the processing tasks to the cloud. Persistent worlds, advanced AI, destruction and physics.

3520_freeman_point.png
nuts-batman.gif

Brigandier

It's a perfectly fine addition to gaming, it will never be the pinnacle of gaming due to how quickly hardware and technology progresses, Bandwidth will never keep up but it's always going to be an option.

It certainly could attract many casual players once xcloud really improves and is on all smart TVs which is inevitable, I'd invest in a gamepass membership on my TV if it could offer excellent performance at a fair price, especially now that Bethesda games are exclusive to MS and I really don't want to buy another XSX.

DaGwaphics

Well put. A streaming-only platform/scenario will not work well now, maybe in a generation or two. At this point streaming is best as a supporting thing and having it bundled with an active subscription and not having people pay for it separately is the best way to go about it right now.

I wouldn't even see a problem with it if MS started offering an à la carte streaming option at a low price (like $5 a month or something like that). As long as the purchases you would make are tied to a standard Xbox account, it'd be a much better situation than what Stadia was offering. Basically would be MS's version of Geforce Now. In both cases you would be purchasing normal digital rights to games that you could always use on local hardware if you decided to go that route.

Top Bottom