• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock Market GAF |OT| *watches wolf of wall street once*

greyshark

Feb 15, 2011
St. Louis
Update to my last post.

Decided to take the Plunge with Trading 212 and honestly...addicted to it (and I need to stop!)

Looked into it a lot as to what to look for long term and decided to get some shares in Coca Cola, American Airlines (Risky but it's something that could come back in a big way), Cineworld, Investec, ITV, Johnson Controls and Lloyds Bank being some major ones.

Seems you have to look into Growth and Divendends to get the best results, and of course take advantage of the Market whilst the stocks have come down.

Playing the long game here but I do love numbers on the Broker that I just get addicted!!!
If you’re looking long term I’d recommend index funds - reduces your risk because you’re investing in the whole market and has consistent returns over a long time frame.

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
If you’re looking long term I’d recommend index funds - reduces your risk because you’re investing in the whole market and has consistent returns over a long time frame.
This is where I am now. Going more conservative since I am getting close to retirement

Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
I am considering it, but in the UK you get Taxed twice if you own US funds and you have to class it as Income even if I do not withdraw yet.

Will consider once I get a job. :LOL:

Le Big Mac

Neo Member
Jul 3, 2018
I am considering it, but in the UK you get Taxed twice if you own US funds and you have to class it as Income even if I do not withdraw yet.

Will consider once I get a job. :LOL:
UK has a double tax treaty with US, I don't think you get taxed twice. I think there is a surcharge from brokers in US if you buy from UK but if you're using Platforms like Hargreaves, Trading 212 etc. they file those exemption from the 30% surcharge for you.

Reactions: Starlight Lotice
Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
UK has a double tax treaty with US, I don't think you get taxed twice. I think there is a surcharge from brokers in US if you buy from UK but if you're using Platforms like Hargreaves, Trading 212 etc. they file those exemption from the 30% surcharge for you.
Thanks for the clarification! I tend to see it mentioned a lot online but yeah, I think you do need to take into consideration the FX rate as well when you do sell.

To be honest, waiting until after the Election to buy more US Shares as the bubble is likely to burst with that one (could be wrong but that is what speculation is all about!)

UK and EU Shares seem to be good prices at the moment, and depending on how Brexit turns out, certain companies are going to rise and fall.

Drake

Oct 16, 2012
I do have a bunch of spare cash that I put in the market. Day trading is gambling, so I don't mess with that stuff. Threw it into an S&P 500 index fund and am chillin'.

Reactions: Starlight Lotice