• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock Market GAF |OT| *watches wolf of wall street once*

greyshark

Update to my last post.

Decided to take the Plunge with Trading 212 and honestly...addicted to it (and I need to stop!)

Looked into it a lot as to what to look for long term and decided to get some shares in Coca Cola, American Airlines (Risky but it's something that could come back in a big way), Cineworld, Investec, ITV, Johnson Controls and Lloyds Bank being some major ones.

Seems you have to look into Growth and Divendends to get the best results, and of course take advantage of the Market whilst the stocks have come down.

Playing the long game here but I do love numbers on the Broker that I just get addicted!!!

If you’re looking long term I’d recommend index funds - reduces your risk because you’re investing in the whole market and has consistent returns over a long time frame.

Mihos

Gold Member
If you’re looking long term I’d recommend index funds - reduces your risk because you’re investing in the whole market and has consistent returns over a long time frame.

This is where I am now. Going more conservative since I am getting close to retirement

I am considering it, but in the UK you get Taxed twice if you own US funds and you have to class it as Income even if I do not withdraw yet.

Will consider once I get a job. :LOL:

I am considering it, but in the UK you get Taxed twice if you own US funds and you have to class it as Income even if I do not withdraw yet.

Will consider once I get a job. :LOL:
UK has a double tax treaty with US, I don't think you get taxed twice. I think there is a surcharge from brokers in US if you buy from UK but if you're using Platforms like Hargreaves, Trading 212 etc. they file those exemption from the 30% surcharge for you.

UK has a double tax treaty with US, I don't think you get taxed twice. I think there is a surcharge from brokers in US if you buy from UK but if you're using Platforms like Hargreaves, Trading 212 etc. they file those exemption from the 30% surcharge for you.

Thanks for the clarification! I tend to see it mentioned a lot online but yeah, I think you do need to take into consideration the FX rate as well when you do sell.

To be honest, waiting until after the Election to buy more US Shares as the bubble is likely to burst with that one (could be wrong but that is what speculation is all about!)

UK and EU Shares seem to be good prices at the moment, and depending on how Brexit turns out, certain companies are going to rise and fall.

Drake

I do have a bunch of spare cash that I put in the market. Day trading is gambling, so I don't mess with that stuff. Threw it into an S&P 500 index fund and am chillin'.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
tesla -15% premarket

o _ o

edit: 20%

efk81zvvtyk51.jpg

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Disney Reorganizes Content and Distribution Units to Bolster Streaming Businesses

The Walt Disney Company announced a broad structural reorganization of its media and entertainment businesses Monday, in a move to ramp up and streamline its direct-to-consumer strategy. That involves the creation of the new Media and Entertainment Distribution group, which will oversee all content monetization and streaming operations. Kareem Daniel, most recently president of consumer products, games and publishing at Disney, will lead the unit.

The move comes just under a year after the launch of Disney Plus, which has since surpassed the 60 million subscriber mark.

Under the new structure, the studios will continue to develop and produce originals for Disney’s streaming services — which include Disney Plus, Hulu and ESPN Plus — and legacy platforms. Distribution and commercialization will now be centralized under the Media and Entertainment Distribution group.

“Given the incredible success of Disney+ and our plans to accelerate our direct-to-consumer business, we are strategically positioning our Company to more effectively support our growth strategy and increase shareholder value,” said CEO Bob Chapek in a statement. “Managing content creation distinct from distribution will allow us to be more effective and nimble in making the content consumers want most, delivered in the way they prefer to consume it. Our creative teams will concentrate on what they do best—making world-class, franchise-based content—while our newly centralized global distribution team will focus on delivering and monetizing that content in the most optimal way across all platforms, including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ and the coming Star international streaming service.”

Three groups will be responsible for producing content for film, linear TV and streaming services: studios, general entertainment and sports, under the purview of Alan F. Horn and Alan Bergman, Peter Rice, and James Pitaro. The reorganization is effective immediately, and Disney’s financial reporting will switch to the new structure in Q1 of fiscal 2021.

Daniel’s division will be responsible for P&L management, distribution, operations, sales, advertising, data and technology functions globally for Disney’s content production, in addition to managing operations for Disney’s streamers and U.S. TV networks.

The reorganization means that top leadership at studios, general entertainment and sports remains the same, with Alan Horn and Alan Bergman serving as chairman of studios content, Peter Rice as chairman of general entertainment content and James Pitaro as chairman of ESPN and sports content. All five will report directly to Chapek.

The studios division will lead creation of branded theatrical and episodic content based on Disney’s franchises, and oversee creation at Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures. Rice’s division will focus on general entertainment episodic and original long-form content, such as those created by 20th Television, ABC Signature and Touchstone Television, ABC News, Disney Channels, Freeform, FX, and National Geographic. Pitaro will continue to oversee ESPN’s live sports programing, sports news, and original and unscripted sports content for cablers, ESPN Plus and ABC.

Disney’s parks, experiences and products unit continues to be headed up by Josh D’Amaro. Rebecca Campbell continues to chair international operations and direct-to-consumer — but those two businesses will no longer be managed together. In matters international, Campbell will report to Chapek. In matters related to the streaming space, she will report to Daniel.

Variety has additionally learned that Ricky Strauss, most recently Disney Plus’ content and marketing head, has been named head of curation for Disney Plus and Hulu.

“I’m honored to be able to lead this new organization during such a pivotal and exciting time for our Company, and I’m grateful to Bob for giving me the opportunity,” said Daniel. “It’s a tremendous privilege to work with the talented and dedicated teams that will comprise this group, and I look forward to a close collaboration with the outstanding and incredibly successful team of creative content leaders at the Company, as together we build on the success we’ve already achieved in our DTC and legacy distribution business.”

Daniel, who has been at Disney for 14 years, has a history of leadership roles across the company. Outside of consumer products, games and publishing, he has also spent time in studio distribution and Walt Disney Imagineering — prior to his most recent role, Daniel served as president of Walt Disney Imagineering operations, production creation, publishing and games. There, he oversaw the transformation of IP into parks and resorts properties such as “Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge” at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, as well as Toy Story Land at Diseny World and Shanghai Disneyland.

Chapek called Daniel an “an exceptionally talented, innovative and forward-looking leader, with a strong track record for developing and implementing successful global content distribution and commercialization strategies.” He added that as the company looks to grow its direct-to-consumer businesses, “delivering and monetizing our great content in the most optimal way possible” will be of critical importance.

“His wealth of experience will enable him to effectively bring together the Company’s distribution, advertising, marketing and sales functions, thereby creating a distribution powerhouse that will serve all of Disney’s media and entertainment businesses,” said Chapek.

Look for more details on Disney’s direct-to-consumer strategies on its virtually held investor day on Dec. 10.

Rexyy

Neo Member
Maybe just follow the footsteps of Buffet and simply but gold and silver as a long term investment?

Top Bottom