• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steamdeck sold 1.6 million in 2022, sell another 2 million in 2023, report

Griffon

It's just a PC. Don't think of it like console peasants.
It doesn't need the "support" of anybody, any PC game past present and future can just run on it.

The Steam OS UI looks pretty good, but you also have a regular desktop and can do whatever the fuck you want with it.

Last edited:

leo-j

https://omdia.tech.informa.com/pr/2...led-base-to-surpass-three-million-during-2023

According to the article valve sold 1.62 million units in 2022, and should experience a healthy 14% growth to 1.85 million in 2023, if it keeps growing it might outsell the game gear and vita, which are the 2 best selling portable not by Nintendo or the psp
Sounds like the steam deck is carving itself out a nice little niche, hopefully valve makes a steamdeck 2 it in another 3 or 4 years

Obviously something like the switch or ps5 can sell that many units in a good month but the steamdeck is a very different product as it is very much an enthusiast product , Gabe Newell hand delivered units, what is more enthusiast than that. Plus no money on ad campaigns, probably sold at a profit, and steam use still lets them profit off of usage

Anyway all the nutters that thought it would destroy the switch have been proven to be nutters, and all the sensible people that thought it would be a hit niche product and a win for valve have been proven correct
Vita sold over 14 million, there is no way steam deck at 1.6-2 million a year is going to outsell vita before a successor.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If it can sell around 2 million per year that’s definitely a healthy business for what it is. Seems some people who buy one suddenly begin playing a lot more games so it’s a big benefit to Valve.
thats the thing that gets me. People who dislike the steam deck dislike it, but the most of people who love it fucking love it. It completely changes their gaming habits, and overall gaming becomes more comfortable and fun for them. people who weren't gaming much lately started playing more after their Deck purchase. I don't think i've even heard that positive of a reception for any other handheld device.

Last edited:

NickFire

Those numbers are a head scratcher for me. The numbers seem really sad for a platform. But on the other hand this isn't really a platform in the traditional sense, right? In that its more like a handheld PC that makes gaming easier than on a laptop?

Deerock71

Anyone who thought it would destroy the switch in terms of sales figures are nuts, But if it does sell over 3m by end of 2023 I'd say that's more than a niche product.
Calculate Season 6 GIF by The Simpsons

Upload GIF by Amazon Prime Video

It is honestly shaping up to be nothing more or less than I predicted it would be. I'd expect Gabe to start scaling back support incrementally, so as not to outrage his small yet fervent Steam Deck following.

tmlDan

The vita was such a miserable flop because it was pushed as the next big thing with a bunch of advertising and retail space to account for. This has had 0 advertising and you can only buy it directly from Steam. I doubt Valve sees it as a failure.
I'm just going off of what the OP said, I agree with you that the Vita was a massive failure but I also don't think the steam deck is a success, with 120MM MAU on steam they do advertise it on their platform with a permanent banner and sometimes a homepage takeover and keep it at the top of the best sellers list (which is obviously a lie since most new games sell way more than that thing yet it stayed in the top 2 and is number 1 right now for some reason).

I know the top sellers list is based on revenue but i still doubt that and the valve index being that high with such low sales

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Anyone who thought it would destroy the switch in terms of sales figures are nuts, But if it does sell over 3m by end of 2023 I'd say that's more than a niche product.

Funny how the sales numbers for this device has a TOTALLY different spin than the sales numbers for PSVR2 or any other VR device.

Bragr

Banned
probably sold at a profit
Why do you think that? The Steam Deck is selling at a loss.

The reason why Valve is doing this is to establish itself as the premier PC handheld producer before anyone else does it.

lukilladog

Lmao, so they are reporting on themselves, about a research they did themselves, and can´t provide any data to their claim. But anyway, 1.6 millions is enough for Gabe to drop it.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm just going off of what the OP said, I agree with you that the Vita was a massive failure but I also don't think the steam deck is a success, with 120MM MAU on steam they do advertise it on their platform with a permanent banner and sometimes a homepage takeover and keep it at the top of the best sellers list (which is obviously a lie since most new games sell way more than that thing yet it stayed in the top 2 and is number 1 right now for some reason).

I know the top sellers list is based on revenue but i still doubt that and the valve index being that high with such low sales

That's 120MM MAU who already own a gaming PC. I think that needs to be taken into consideration when judging Steam Deck. Pretty sure Gabe knew that he was going to be selling this to existing PC gamers and so sales wouldn't be massive. This isn't like a console where sales are building an install base. The install base already exists. So whether SD is a success or not is really going to depend on what Valve's expectations were.

And you really think Valve is deliberately lying about Steam Deck's revenue placement in the top sellers? Seriously?

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It depends, what do you mean with "support"?

The PS Vita had support for PS1, PSP and PS3 games (the latter via PS Now, to fair), and several ports of PS2-PS4 games (Sly Cooper and Resogun come first to mind).

Vita had lousy support from Sony, especially in comparison to PSP. The difference in third party support was especially noticed.
At least that was my feeling from owning both during their lifetimes.

Brigandier

StueyDuck

Doing better than I expected. It's still rather pricey for most where I live

With the way FSR and DLSS are improving the next iteration should sell gang busters.

Last edited:
Steam Deck will always be a niche product that serves as a great companion for PC gamers. I get the feeling that Valve is using the product as a way to further push Steam OS by getting gaming companies to develop with Proton in mind. Love my Deck and I’m curious to see how it will continue to evolve with time.

Holammer

Lmao, so they are reporting on themselves, about a research they did themselves, and can´t provide any data to their claim. But anyway, 1.6 millions is enough for Gabe to drop it.
Nobody RFTA, they look at the topic and start pontificating. No description of methodology in the blogpost and they cite themselves as a source. I've seen bogus 4chan rumors with better sources. My guess? They took the 1M sold news from the October KDE conference, did some back-of-the-envelope calculation to extrapolate sales numbers. Good enough to publish!

Anyone can do that, with my super secret formula I arrived at 1.56M machines sold per year (you'd be surprised how much thought went into it) and that's lowballing because there's a giant unknown factor that is hard to estimate. hyuk hyuk, I'm an industry analcyst now!

TLZ

Banned
2 million units despite the highly vocal and over-aggressive fan base.

for perspective, the switch sold 5 million units first month of release worldwide.
For perspective, this is sold online only through Valve in limited countries. Switch is available globally in all stores.

Doing better than I expected. It's still rather pricey for most where I live

With the way FSR and DLSS are improving the next iteration should sell gang busters.
They'd have to make it available globally and in all popular stores first.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Pretty good considering it's online order only and no real advertising or retail. That said, it's not enough units to matter to Nintendo, Sony, or ms. Especially since half those units bought are being used for playing around or emulators vs traditional new console gaming. (PC in this case of course)

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
The thing that annoys me, is how this reinforces the original statement by valve, how the steamdeck was not a console and was going to be updated more often, (more like a laptop).

Sadly valves recent comments have shown a change in mindset, though I have no idea why when the sales are not even close to console-like so why relegate it to console-like hardware updates?

Give me a OLED + new SoC Steamdeck already.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sadly valves recent comments have shown a change in mindset, though I have no idea why when the sales are not even close to console-like so why relegate it to console-like hardware updates?
Because it costs a lot of money to design and launch HW and the more HW you support the harder your job supporting all of that is (the launcher, Proton, the entire Steam Deck experience, the Steam Deck verified games, etc…). Devs making changes for Deck would have an even harder time if the target kept changing.

Teletraan1

Banned
One thing that I hope gets pushed going forward is perhaps a proper SteamOS for desktops where every game just works. I would like to get off of Windows. I only really use my PC for gaming and some light web browsing and media applications. Deliver that and MS can eat my ass.

2 million units despite the highly vocal and over-aggressive fan base.

for perspective, the switch sold 5 million units first month of release worldwide.
The economy is different.
Consoles will walled gardens need high volumes of hardware owners to generate software sales and third party ports.
The Portable PC is automatically accessing the entire PC ecosystem. Even if they only sell 1000 units, the owners would still be able to get new games to run on it for years to come. This is not a console and thus does not have the urgency to reach any critical mass to survive.

I'm not saying this is wrong but Valve is usually transparent so them not saying anything about sales like this is strange to me.

The device is a success regardless I don't doubt that Valve was not intending to sell 2 million decks. I think 5m is a possibility before they replace it.

mckmas8808

I'm not saying this is wrong but Valve is usually transparent so them not saying anything about sales like this is strange to me.

The device is a success regardless I don't doubt that Valve was not intending to sell 2 million decks. I think 5m is a possibility before they replace it

There's no way Valve made this HW thinking it would never sell 2 million units.

I don't think anyone was crazy enough to think it would outsell the Switch, 120+ million and counting.

But selling more than a million is a very pleasant surprise. People who have them seem to all love them. There is indeed a market for niche portable gaming PC's like this.

odhiex

I just bought a Steam Deck a couple of days ago. I know that at least four of my friends bought theirs in the last two months. I believe that this product will do very well in the market, but I am of the view that this would never be a mainstream device for casual gamers.

Valve did a good job streamlining the UI, the OS and their clear verification system regarding games that are working and not working on the Steam Deck. However, you are still required to deep dive into the settings and do some tinkering in order to maximise the device to its fullest potential.

Calculate Season 6 GIF by The Simpsons

Upload GIF by Amazon Prime Video

It is honestly shaping up to be nothing more or less than I predicted it would be. I'd expect Gabe to start scaling back support incrementally, so as not to outrage his small yet fervent Steam Deck following.

Nintendo fanboys foaming at the mouth right now... probably peeing in the carpet of happiness as well.

SD is by far the best selling portable PC ever... Valve is happy owners are happy even Nintendo fanboys are happy.

The Deck is a Huge success and Valve will keep the good support on it moving forward.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Nintendo fanboys foaming at the mouth right now... probably peeing in the carpet of happiness as well.

SD is by far the best selling portable PC ever... Valve is happy owners are happy even Nintendo fanboys are happy.

The Dec k is a Huge success and Valve will keep the good support on it moving forward.

So if it's a huge success at 1.5 million sold a year, then what would a failure have been?

Sorcerer

Damn it, I should have bought one with the 10% coupon.
I bet it will part of every major Steam Sale from here on out. If not at least once a year. That being said they didn't discount the dock I belive.

Last edited:
So if it's a huge success at 1.5 million sold a year, then what would a failure have been?

It is a PC and mainly sell steam games, it's not supposed to appeal to people that play Nintendo games(even though it can run every single Nintendo game ever created better then the real consoles LOL).

It was 1.5M more people using steam to buy even more games(a lot of games that people buy for deck they wouldn't buy for normal pcs because they're not fun on the big screens , lack of time to sit and play, etc...).

Valve doesn't need deck to outsell the switch for it to be a big success... Valve just needed it to sell enough to break even(from software sales) and keep pushing improvements/testing to it's Linux steam environment, its a multifaceted business approach.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
One thing that I hope gets pushed going forward is perhaps a proper SteamOS for desktops where every game just works. I would like to get off of Windows. I only really use my PC for gaming and some light web browsing and media applications. Deliver that and MS can eat my ass.
Gaming on Linux is getting better and better, but the reason SteamOS is working so much better in SteamDeck is not that there has been some groundbreaking achievement in Wine/Proton/SteamOS (sure there has been some of that too), but that SteamDeck is a single device where Valve is in control of the HW design (semi-custom AMD SoC) and they can tailor and optimise the software stack around it (and give developers an easy way to get brownie points from people with Steam Deck verification). This made the job easier for Valve and the community around Steam too.

The fact Windows works at all and works decently enough is something hard MS should be praised for as they have a near next to impossible problem at hand (they do have market share and influence that will force HW bee does and developers to bend towards Windows and improve support / walking through workarounds).

Last edited:
Top Bottom