• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2015 - The Phantom Pre-Load or: AAA Movies Are Just +1s To Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Kanye-West-Shaking-Head-No.gif

KingKong

First line

BioShock is arguably one of the most influential games ever — certainly of the last generation. It changed expectations for narrative-heavy, single-player-focused games, and for atmosphere and level design in first-person titles. It changed everything.

???

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
do you guys have like folders of these things or is the internet so saturated with animu gifs that it takes you a brief second to pull them up

I know I have a folder, but goddamn I have like 3 reaction gifs for every popular reaction. Not twenty like manpuncher seems to have.

That Transformers gameplay video looks a million times cooler than Korra.

It really does, only bad thing is that I don't really like transformers that much :/

yuraya

I only played the first couple hours of Bioshock. Didn't like it and never finished it. Something about it was very boring. I think it may have been the voice acting.

zkylon

zkylewd

didn't read all the article cos i might at one point play soma, but i think that next time before u (or iashy or whoever) post articles with inflammatory titles maybe just throw a quote or two so you create some good debate instead of everyone just shitting on the article without even reading it and also don't play into the writer's hand by just clickbaiting people

there's things in that article that might be worth discussing, like how killing a billion random crazy ppl in bioshock lessens the impact of violence in that game, or whatever

like i said i didn't read it all and it may be a shitty article and i don't wanna rag on u since i think you're a really good poster here, but i don't think quoting articles like that is very helpful or drives good conversation

didn't read all the article cos i might at one point play soma, but i think that next time before u (or iashy or whoever) post articles with inflammatory titles maybe just throw a quote or two so you create some good debate instead of everyone just shitting on the article without even reading it and also don't play into the writer's hand by just clickbaiting people

there's things in that article that might be worth discussing, like how killing a billion random crazy ppl in bioshock lessens the impact of violence in that game, or whatever

like i said i didn't read it all and it may be a shitty article and i don't wanna rag on u since i think you're a really good poster here, but i don't think quoting articles like that is very helpful or drives good conversation

I think the article might have a point but i also have held back from reading it due to SOMA spoilers.

But if one of the arguments is that combat gets in the way of Bioshock i would sit there and hear that argument out because it's not completely unreasonable.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
The best combat in the bioshock series was in bioshock 2, and that's the game in the series with the lowest scores from reviewers.

wilflare

hello everyone (it's good to be finally home from all the flying)

on a separate note, I should really keep my bundles to Humble, Groupees, Indiegala and Bundlestars.
anyone still frequent Lazy Guys or Flying Bundle?

How does the combat get in the way of bioshock?

it's not really doing much for the game with vita chambers and all that. It's just kinda getting in your way while you work your way through the world. the game would be much more terrifying if you had to save the sisters from big daddy's and didn't have the ability to fight them

It's especially shitty in Infinite though where there's this wonderful world but then you have to fight monster arenas every ten steps.

there's a reason so many articles came out post infinite discussing how it would've faired better if the combat was either less frequent or nonexistent.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions for Kagemusha:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Showtime! -- MB-A1F528F3AF1C74C3 - Taken by Milamber. 1 entrants total.
Paranormal StatePoison Spring -- MB-C9DB26E20D4921DB - Taken by Vuze. 1 entrants total.
Stranded In Time -- MB-7E103894836A3BB0 - Taken by Hektor. 1 entrants total.
AR-K -- MB-5174B9340FCF934E - Taken by Saty. 1 entrants total.
Doctor WhoThe Adventure Games -- MB-272760F9716A97B7 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Fort Defense -- MB-D4053DEC7367CC99 - Taken by Knurek. 1 entrants total.

t1443642146z1.png

derExperte

goodbye 4th place ;_;

United will probably win this, they're clearly better despite a wonky defense. Also Schweini>VW. But City.... BMG even had a penalty which they wasted. :(

And to stay off-topic here are some Rainbow Six Siege Uplay Beta keys:

UGGE-KDA3-3HNL-RJ3J
AYMC-L7QR-C6BF-CHRC
DJ7K-4TAN-XMTC-9LYA
UGMM-NLQL-9K7M-PCP8

Runs until the 4th.

Hektor

^i dont understand any of this. Is this Füßeball?

it's not really doing much for the game with vita chambers and all that. It's just kinda getting in your way while you work your way through the world. the game would be much more terrifying if you had to save the sisters from big daddy's and didn't have the ability to fight them

It's especially shitty in Infinite though where there's this wonderful world but then you have to fight monster arenas every ten steps.

there's a reason so many articles came out post infinite discussing how it would've faired better if the combat was either less frequent or nonexistent.

I cant agee on that. I really enjoyed the combat in Bioshock with its plasmids, especially in the more fastpaced infinite with the rollercoaster thingies and all.

How would you make a game out of saving sisters from big daddys without fighting tho? I could imagine an attempt with stealth, but that'd require a lot more work then what we've seen in Bioshock.

I cant agee on that. I really enjoyed the combat in Bioshock with its plasmids, especially in the more fastpaced infinite with the rollercoaster thingies and all.

How would you make a game out of saving sisters from big daddys without fighting tho? I could imagine an attempt with stealth, but that'd require a lot more work then what we've seen in Bioshock.

hey, that's not for me to design but for the now-defunct irrational to try and make happen.

the combat in those games is at most meh with Bioshock 2 being the only one where i actually enjoyed the shooty shoots. but the best parts of those games for me was when i wasn't shooting at all and just taking in the beautiful worlds they built. the combat felt like a concession in BI, something they needed to do to justify its massive budget.

and i finished Bioshock 1 like 3 times, once with the vita chambers turned off. I enjoyed making the game tougher to make the actual shooting feel like it was worth doing. The closer i could make it to a survival horror the better.

Tizoc

hello everyone (it's good to be finally home from all the flying)

on a separate note, I should really keep my bundles to Humble, Groupees, Indiegala and Bundlestars.
anyone still frequent Lazy Guys or Flying Bundle?

Welcome back! Brah
Brah
can you hook a bruv up with dat Oreshika?
Bruv pls.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think the article might have a point but i also have held back from reading it due to SOMA spoilers.

But if one of the arguments is that combat gets in the way of Bioshock i would sit there and hear that argument out because it's not completely unreasonable.

i mean, i don't necessarily agree with what he's saying about bioshock 1/2, but i think there's a discussion to be had there, specially since i think most ppl came out of infinite thinking that combat was its weakest part

i don't necessarily think combat was a big issue in bioshock, tho i think some of its bigger issues come from its combat maybe not holding up so well (big daddies becoming trivial later on, the random end boss thing, that frustrating little sister section later on), and i think plasmids didn't really convey that "maybe abusing this shit isn't good for you" motif and i think adding some sort of like addiction mechanic or some long term negative effects for using too much eve would've been an interesting thing to have in the game, even if it's something like gradually as the game goes on your hands or some of ur animations get messed up like in spec ops or the arkham games. something like that.

for infinite, i think it's just a game that didn't manage to live up to its potential, i think its issue wasn't necessarily less combat but better combat.

but hey, it's a discussion worth having, which is sadly buried under a clickbaity article that will just get ppl riled up

KingKong

they almost certainly had major issues in development. you can tell because practically everything in the game except the story is copied from Bioshock 1 without thinking how it just doesn't fit. that's why you spend the game rifling through desks and garbage cans in between combat sections and doing the exact same 'path is blocked, go back and go this way to get an object to unblock the path' loop

Turfster

Environmental options.
Luring them away.
Dialogue.
One-off crafting.

There's so many options besides "SHOOT THING IN THE FACE UNTIL IT STOPS"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom