• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

I'm probably the only one but... i totally want a Neverdead and Wet PC port.

I played a bit of Neverdead and uh... you really don't. This is how it plays- enemy knocks off your head, head rolls around, find head's way back to body, repeat because you're fragile as fuck. Also things can eat your head while its off.

TR2013 doesn't get a *total* pass in the difficulty department. You can mod your pistol to shoot three bullets fairly soon, and the assault rifle (arguably the most useful weapon) appears not much later. It's still more challenging than Rise, and the linear "cinematic" nature lends to the pacing (and the relatively fewer number of collectibles). Rise was a poor open-world-ish game where as TR2013 is a really good Uncharted-better (ignoring the story and characters).

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the Infinite Warfare price is dropping even faster than I expected, 36€ for the Legacy Edition using a coupon code on cdkeys.

I'm actually considering buying it now since the IW campaign is supposed to be quite good and I want MWR. Hmmm...

Maybe that's because you already got a game from the giveaway and you can't get more than one even if they're unclaimed? I don't know

This might be it, it's not that I want these games that badly, I think people might miss out because of some error.

NeverDead shouls stay deep in the grave. A Giant Bomb QL.
I played a bit of Neverdead and uh... you really don't. This is how it plays- enemy knocks off your head, head rolls around, find head's way back to body, repeat because you're fragile as fuck. Also things can eat your head while its off.

TR2013 doesn't get a *total* pass in the difficulty department. You can mod your pistol to shoot three bullets fairly soon, and the assault rifle (arguably the most useful weapon) appears not much later. It's still more challenging than Rise, and the linear "cinematic" nature lends to the pacing (and the relatively fewer number of collectibles). Rise was a poor open-world-ish game where as TR2013 is a really good Uncharted-better (ignoring the story and characters).
TR2013 is more difficult than Rise? That's pretty damning... TR2013 was like Generic_Cover_Shooter_2013, it was the weird open world-y stuff that really saved it.

The bombastic action sequences were all so bad.

Guy wants 2k keys for $100.

Um.

Whut.

Cheapest 2K game. Also one of their worst.

Get some copies and reap the profits.

rtcn63

TR2013 is more difficult than Rise? That's pretty damning... TR2013 was like Generic_Cover_Shooter_2013, it was the weird open world-y stuff that really saved it.

The bombastic action sequences were all so bad.

Rise makes even less qualms about letting you know that it wants you to have an absurdly easy time.

And in a way, it's about expectation- the game didn't actually improve on TR2013 outside of graphics and the hit-or-miss open-world aspect. TR2013 itself was a direct improvement on the Uncharted formula- skills and weapons were available to you at all times and upgradeable (even if the progression was safely by-the-book); weapons themselves were assigned to the D-pad (which I personally love in games); and platforming wasn't *just* jumping from ledge-to-ledge with a directional button held.

I thought the stories in both were terrible, although the acting in Rise by the villains was noticeably better.

Ascheroth

Around 50 hours into God Eater 2 now, and I'm nearing the end of the first story arc (I'm expecting another 5 hours or so).
...There are 3 story arcs in total.

Jawmuncher

Lost Planet 3 is actually pretty good, it would have done better if they didn't make it a Lost Planet game I think.

Really it seemed like Lost Planet was basically done at that point. Even when it was announced, not counting the western switch. Most people's reactions were "Their doing a third one?".

Burt

Has anyone here tried out Battle Brothers? I remember seeing it around the time it first hit early access, wanted to wait to see how it developed before diving in. Seems like it's reviewing well and coming together nicely.

Curious on BB impressions myself. The hideous art discouraged me from looking into it more.

Rise makes even less qualms about letting you know that it wants you to have an absurdly easy time.

And in a way, it's about expectation- the game didn't actually improve on TR2013 outside of graphics and the hit-or-miss open-world aspect. TR2013 itself was a direct improvement on the Uncharted formula- skills and weapons were available to you at all times and upgradeable (even if the progression was safely by-the-book); weapons themselves were assigned to the D-pad (which I personally love in games); and platforming wasn't *just* jumping from ledge-to-ledge with a directional button held.

I thought the stories in both were terrible, although the acting in Rise by the villains was noticeably better.
"By the books" really seems like CD's motto when it comes to the new Tomb Raider.

But, in spite of all this, I still want to play RotTR for some reason. Open world games are like popcorn to me, I guess.

Durante

Really it seemed like Lost Planet was basically done at that point. Even when it was announced, not counting the western switch. Most people's reactions were "Their doing a third one?".
Which is strange since Lost Planet 2 was one of the very best co-op action games of its generation.

Of course, they removed the things it did excellently (co-op and excellent fundamental mechanics) in the sequel.

rtcn63

But, in spite of all this, I still want to play RotTR for some reason. Open world games are like popcorn to me, I guess.

I'd only recommend it if you *ignore* the open-world stuff, barring the tombs. Even on the hardest difficulty, it's incredibly lacking in challenge, and all the experience you gain from side missions and exploring will just exacerbate the issue. I stopped upgrading skills partway in to try and gimp myself.

Thanks for the recommendations but I'll have to do with my backlog.

Narrowed down list to select:

• Fallout New Vegas
  • Dragons Dogma
  • Valkyria Chronicles

What are your opinions?

Nzyme32

Big picture mode sometimes kicks in when I turn my Steam controller on, any way to fix that?

I'd take a guess that you are holding the Steam Controller's "steam" button down when trying to turn it on. With mine, a tap will turn it on and do nothing else. You'd have to tap again for BPM to pop up while the Steam Window is active

If the Steam window is not active when you turn the controller on, it's one tap to make steam the active window, then another to bring up BPM.

Also, holding the "Steam" button once the controller is on is just steam chord now unless it is held with no input for longer than 7 or 8 secs, at which point it will switch off. It's best to utilise the chords for switching off, which under the default bindings is just holding the "steam" button and tapping Y.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

• Fallout New Vegas
  • Dragons Dogma
  • Valkyria Chronicles

What are your opinions?

I'm going to give you a different approach to this list than what my heart is telling me. See, I want you to play New Vegas. But I'm going to tell you to play Dragons Dogma.

Check the method: You could conceivably beat Dragons Dogma in time for you to consider it in your GOTY list.

The other two are ineligible.

New Vegas. Make sure when you leave the first town turn left, not right. You'll be fine!

tumblr_inline_ogczraXUJR1unfy5b_500.png

Gonna give Dogma a go. The other two might be a bit tougher to get into by their RPG/Strategy nature. Thanks folks. It's good to choose between great games.

Tenrius

Finished MGSV Chapter 1. And... what was that? The last few missions were such a stupid trainwreck storywise. Might do Chapter 2 a bit later.

• Fallout New Vegas
  • Dragons Dogma
  • Valkyria Chronicles

What are your opinions?

new vegas bro, install some mods on that too.

oh i see you decided on one already ��well all those are good games tbh so theres no going wrong, I guess.

zkylon

zkylewd

• Fallout New Vegas
  • Dragons Dogma
  • Valkyria Chronicles

What are your opinions?
new vegas is probably the best game, but valkyria is short and short games are #1

but new vegas is a game you should totally play

So the games I have installed on my system currently.

Darkest Dungeon
Dark Souls II
Diablo 3
Dragon's Dogma
Dishonored

and Resident Evil 5 for coop.

I am feeling the D lately it seems.

I'd take a guess that you are holding the Steam Controller's "steam" button down when trying to turn it on. With mine, a tap will turn it on and do nothing else. You'd have to tap again for BPM to pop up while the Steam Window is active

If the Steam window is not active when you turn the controller on, it's one tap to make steam the active window, then another to bring up BPM.

Also, holding the "Steam" button once the controller is on is just steam chord now unless it is held with no input for longer than 7 or 8 secs, at which point it will switch off. It's best to utilise the chords for switching off, which under the default bindings is just holding the "steam" button and tapping Y.

I only tap it once when I turn it on but the issue is that it launches BPM anyway

Didn't know about holding the Steam button and hitting Y to shut it off, that's handy

Teeth

Gonna give Dogma a go. The other two might be a bit tougher to get into by their RPG/Strategy nature. Thanks folks. It's good to choose between great games.

Hot tip about Dragon's Dogma: There are missable side quests if you progress too far in the main story line.

And I'm not talking "too far" as in getting near the end of the game; you can miss some good side quests within the first couple hours of the game.

Hot tip about Dragon's Dogma: There are missable side quests if you progress too far in the main story line.

And I'm not talking "too far" as in getting near the end of the game; you can miss some good side quests within the first couple hours of the game.

No worries, just do the quests in NG+ later. NG+ is where it's at for Dragon's Dogma.

No worries, just do the quests in NG+ later. NG+ is where it's at for Dragon's Dogma.

Except there's certain items that you may want multiple of, and since a lot of the unique rewards are one-per-playthrough it's best to get them in NG and NG+ if you're going that route.

I'd definitely recommend using a quest guide for Dragon's Dogma -- even the first time you play it. It's not particularly spoiler-y, and some of the sidequest triggers and cut-off points are pretty obscure.

I'm generally for going in blind and doing the best you can in a game by paying attention, but Dragon's Dogma is the exception. You'll likely have a better time knowing what's available in your current "act" ahead of time, so you're not worrying about missing stuff.

Oh, and get the infinite sprint mod. I played it on the 360 originally (before multiple warps were added) and running out of stamina every few seconds was terrible. Infinite sprint on PC is amazing, especially as there's a lot of ground to cover.

Tizoc

I want to play NeverDead mainly because it was published by Konami. I've heard its not that good but even still I want to play it for myself and judge it for meself.

A better Uncharted game isn't that high an achievement nowadays.
Rice is better merely because the bow and arrow are fun to kill people with. Yes everything else is stale but only because it is an expansion of the concepts from its predecessor. The tombs are much better and I rather enjoyed them in Rice.

The upgrades in TR '13 are mostly worthless as a few were merely 'get more crafting or EXP from doing X'. The platforming was unremarkable and I couldn't for the life of me find any memorable platforming elements.

I had played TR '13 a few months ago and posted my RTTP here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1264986

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom