• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Hardware Survey GPU results May 2023.

Mr.Phoenix

Whats the percentage of people with a gpu less powerful than a series S?
no idea... Basically would mean looking for GPUs that are what? Under 4TF?

I have a PS5 and a 3080... so I couldn't possibly know I guess.

How I got my 60% was that I just took the percentage totals of everything that I know is at least less powerful than a 2070 super.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The longer the 1660 stays on top the better. Devs can’t ignore the majority low end but will still aim for high end as well.

Mr.Phoenix

The number of Steam users being on par or better than PS5 is still a massive number, and since PS5 is now on par with $220 GPUs, that number will only increase.

If you're comparing Steam user hardware to current gen you have to also include the Xbox Series S. Then the Steam users being on par with current gen greatly increases.

And let's not forget that many console players are still on last gen hardware, casual, non gaming forum dwellers. Probably 90% of the SHS GPUs are better than the worst GPU from last gen, consoles which are still in use today and still have games coming to them.
That wasn't the purpose for the comparison. The purpose is that we have a strange loud minority that seems to complain about console performance, yet these surveys show that the majority of the PC userbase, is on hardware that isn't even on par.

It makes for some very disingenuous conversations.

If you're still playing at 1080p with a 1650 just go get a series S.
But can the Series S do the following:

- Install custom modifications to your games.
- Play "next gen" games at a higher resolution then 1080p & 60 frames per second, and I am being generous and not including ray-tracing
- Offer a wide range of options to tweak the game graphics settings to how you want it
- Offer a wide range support of KM&B AND controllers
- VR
- Full backwards compatibility support

And lastly....

q48zlrx638b51.jpg

Banned
wait, the GTX 1650 is back on top...?

remember that this card specifically has the laptop and desktop versions combined for some reason.
so the numbers on that card aren't really reliable.
if we combined all the other laptop versions and desktop versions, the 1650 would most likely drop a bunch of spots

Last edited:

Leonidas

That wasn't the purpose for the comparison. The purpose is that we have a strange loud minority that seems to complain about console performance, yet these surveys show that the majority of the PC userbase, is on hardware that isn't even on par.

Is it console players complaining about console performance?

That is warranted I think. Console RT is lackluster, its so bad I see people on this forum saying RT is worthless.. consoles seem to struggle badly in games when you turn RT on or they have to reduce RT effects drastically.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

How I got my 60% was that I just took the percentage totals of everything that I know is at least less powerful than a 2070 super.
With that combo do you play pc or ps5 for multiplat releases?

Sleepwalker

Ah I got you now, I was just geniunely curious if there was a list or something haha.

Knightime_X

God damn it. when will these half a decade old budget cards die already?
Probably when casuals realize majority of the game stutters they experience is because they're using a 1650 gpu :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The other half sets literally everything to ultra including resolution scale and wonders why their 4k rated card is stuttering trying to run 8k+ configurations.

Mr.Phoenix

With that combo do you play pc or ps5 for multiplat releases?
PS5.... just prefer the console/couch/controller experience. And trophies.

The only thing I play on PC (even though I play that on my couch too funny enough using a controller), are Xbox and PC exclusives.

I dont know if this makes sense, but I find that gaming on PC makes my OCD come out. Things I overlook or not even notice when gaming on consoles seem to become more obvious to me. And every time something stutters, I find my self troubleshooting my PC.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Its not hard to understand. That "loud minority" complaining about console performance sports a PC with high specs. The ones that don't, don't complain and are satisfied with their mid-low range machine.

There's absolutely nothing disingenuous here, pc players aren't a monolith.

hlm666

I work with a guy who only play PC games and namely Destiny 2. He has a 1080ti and plays at 1080p. He wants to get Diablo and is worried his setup won’t run it acceptably. I offered him my old 3080 for $200 and he’s like nah I’ll just keep riding this 1080ti because I don’t wanna try to fit a 3080 in my case. There are a ton of people out there who just don’t give a damn about graphics. This guy makes 6 figures too.
He's fine?

Topher

Gold Member
If the rest of your system was as vintage as your GPU this would probably be a big bump in performance for you.

Perhaps, but then you wouldn't have the other advantages that PC provide. You do realize that console gaming isn't for everyone, right?

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Not going to upgrade my ROG 3060 ti just yet with the 1650 on top and the 1060 2nd, it would be a waste of money i think, i'll wait and hopefully Nvidia and AMD will see sense with their pricing and value for money, although maybe they won't!.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PS5.... just prefer the console/couch/controller experience. And trophies.

The only thing I play on PC (even though I play that on my couch too funny enough using a controller), are Xbox and PC exclusives.

I dont know if this makes sense, but I find that gaming on PC makes my OCD come out. Things I overlook or not even notice when gaming on consoles seem to become more obvious to me. And every time something stutters, I find my self troubleshooting my PC.
Dude exactly the same here. The ocd is on point. Thank god I am not alone lol

winjer

Gold Member

God damn it. when will these half a decade old budget cards die already?

With GPU prices so high, a lot of people are unable to upgrade.
Besides, games like CS:GO and DOTA are huge and don't require a new GPU to play.

It also doesn't help that PC gaming is in a really bad place right now. Tons of stores and launchers. Windows is full of bloatware and spyware. So many games have issues with stuttering from shader compilation and asset streaming.
Several bad ports with performance issues. And GPU prices.

For most people it's better to just buy a console and not have to deal with all this crap.
They can still have a PC for the occasional competitive gaming, that don't require high end hardware.

Mr.Phoenix

Its not hard to understand. That "loud minority" complaining about console performance sports a PC with high specs. The ones that don't, don't complain and are satisfied with their mid-low range machine.

There's absolutely nothing disingenuous here, pc players aren't a monolith.
But doesn't that just confirm my point about how all that is just disingenuous?

Take me for instance, I have a very decent PC. Dunno if I can still call a 5800x + 3080 + 32GB RAM a high-end PC. But it's at least decent. I know what my hardware will give me performance-wise, I also know how much I paid for the damn thing. You don't see me going and laughing or picking on the millions of people that I am sure game on PC machines that cost significantly less or are less performant.

I know that the majority of the PC's out there are below the performance of my PC and just as many more are even below the performance of my PS5 when it comes to gaming. So what sense does it make talking shit about the console when knowing exactly what kinda hardware it is and what kinda performance one can expect from it?

I would think that the last group of people that should be complaining or trying to shit on console performance, are those that primarily reside in a world that encompasses the widest performance spread in gaming.

So yeah... disingenuous.

SABRE220

At this point amd can hardly be even called a direct competitor...might as well pray intel comes out with a miracle because amd has given up on the gpu side and has clearly prioritized the cpu market.

A large chunk of the Steam userbase just plays shit like TF2, CSGO or Dota all day. They're not gonna have an existential crisis because their PC is slower than an Xbox, or cry out in despair because it won't run the latest Sony port at 4K. They simply don't care about any of that stuff.

Saying they'd be better off with an Xbox is missing the point. They games they want to play aren't on consoles.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Sorry i sensed someone said something really fucking stupid in this thread 🤔

Guilty_AI

But doesn't that just confirm my point about how all that is just disingenuous?

Take me for instance, I have a very decent PC. Dunno if I can still call a 5800x + 3080 + 32GB RAM a high-end PC. But it's at least decent. I know what my hardware will give me performance-wise, I also know how much I paid for the damn thing. You don't see me going and laughing or picking on the millions of people that I am sure game on PC machines that cost significantly less or are less performant.

I know that the majority of the PC's out there are below the performance of my PC and just as many more are even below the performance of my PS5 when it comes to gaming. So what sense does it make talking shit about the console when knowing exactly what kinda hardware it is and what kinda performance one can expect from it?

I would think that the last group of people that should be complaining or trying to shit on console performance, are those that primarily reside in a world that encompasses the widest performance spread in gaming.

So yeah... disingenuous.
Again, pc players aren't a monolith. Why should a person with a i9 and a 4090 care about the average performance of the pc ecosystem as a whole? They were unsatisfied with the console performance, so they got a powerful pc. They own 0 satisfactions regarding other pc specs out there.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Again, pc players aren't a monolith. Why should a person with a i9 and a 4090 care about the average performance of the pc ecosystem as a whole? They were unsatisfied with the console performance, so they got a powerful pc. They own 0 satisfactions regarding other pc specs out there.
Again it's disingenuous. And a double standard.

That's like saying its ok for someone that can afford an E-Class to call people that can only afford a civic poor and are not good enough.

No.

As far as I am concerned, and I believe I am firmly in a position to speak to this as someone who has spent almost $10k on a PC and a HTPC separately, or furthermore, as someone who has spent upwards of $15k on my personal entertainment setup, PC, HTPC, console, UST projector and 120 inch Alr screen...etc.

I am not speaking from a position of ignorance or what-if scenarios. There are people that have PCs that are less powerful than consoles, there are those that have consoles that are less powerful than PCs... but when a game runs at those console settings, there are people to whom are perfectly fine with that. If you, or anyone can afford to get a better experience, that's on them, and that's good for them... I however draw the line when they feel it's ok to talk shit about people that cant afford/choose ot to spend as much even if they could on better or try and piss on their own experiences.

I totally deplore the whole PC master race or gaming elite nonsense because to me its the most hypocritical stance in gaming. PC singlehandedly represents the lowest and highest tiers of gaming. not even consoles. And yet, the average PC enthusiast ignorantly talks like very PC gamer games at 4K60fps+ at ultra settings. hen they are in the absolute best position to know better. How is that t disingenuous and hypocritical? There is no PC gamer on this planet that can teme they know how to find and buy the absolute best hardware that PCs have to offer... know how to go into their settings in every game and dial everything up to 11..but somehow are oblivious to the fact that there are lower settings or less capable PC hardware out there.

But listen to yourself... you asked, why should a person with i9 + 4090 care about the average performance PCs.... so why is it ok for them to care about the console's experience? Which mind you, is better than the average overall PC performance in general. That doesn't seem odd to you?

And you keep talking about how PC payers arent a monolith unless I am mistaking your meaning.. to me that literally in this case would suggest that I am claiming they are all one body.

I am not... I am not talking about All PCgamers.. Hell, I am one of them.I am talking about that vocal minority.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Again it's disingenuous. And a double standard.

That's like saying its ok for someone that can afford an E-Class to call people that can only afford a civic poor and are not good enough.

No.

As far as I am concerned, and I believe I am firmly in a position to speak to this as someone who has spent almost $10k on a PC and a HTPC separately, or furthermore, as someone who has spent upwards of $15k on my personal entertainment setup, PC, HTPC, console, UST projector and 120 inch Alr screen...etc.

I am not speaking from a position of ignorance or what-if scenarios. There are people that have PCs that are less powerful than consoles, there are those that have consoles that are less powerful than PCs... but when a game runs at those console settings, there are people to whom are perfectly fine with that. If you, or anyone can afford to get a better experience, that's on them, and that's good for them... I however draw the line when they feel it's ok to talk shit about people that cant afford/choose ot to spend as much even if they could on better or try and piss on their own experiences.

I totally deplore the whole PC master race or gaming elite nonsense because to me its the most hypocritical stance in gaming. PC singlehandedly represents the lowest and highest tiers of gaming. not even consoles. And yet, the average PC enthusiast ignorantly talks like very PC gamer games at 4K60fps+ at ultra settings. hen they are in the absolute best position to know better. How is that t disingenuous and hypocritical? There is no PC gamer on this planet that can teme they know how to find and buy the absolute best hardware that PCs have to offer... know how to go into their settings in every game and dial everything up to 11..but somehow are oblivious to the fact that there are lower settings or less capable PC hardware out there.

But listen to yourself... you asked, why should a person with i9 + 4090 care about the average performance PCs.... so why is it ok for them to care about the console's experience? Which mind you, is better than the average overall PC performance in general. That doesn't seem odd to you?

And you keep talking about how PC payers arent a monolith unless I am mistaking your meaning.. to me that literally in this case would suggest that I am claiming they are all one body.

I am not... I am not talking about All PCgamers.. Hell, I am one of them.I am talking about that vocal minority.
If your problem is with forum warring, this is far from a one way road. I've seen just as much (if not more) console players shitting on pc and its players, in this very thread you see people saying stuff like "if you're using a 1650, why not just get a Series S!!" while blissfully ignorant many people buy a laptop with low end cards because they need a pc and also want a gaming machine, and this is cheaper than getting a PC+console combo.

Also, whatever "elite" you're describing is just a strawman, i have never seen a single individual that has all the characteristics you're describing.

Mr.Phoenix

If your problem is with forum warring, this is far from a one way road. I've seen just as much (if not more) console players shitting on pc and its players, in this very thread you see people saying stuff like "if you're using a 1650, why not just get a Series S!!" while blissfully ignorant many people buy a laptop with low end cards because they need a pc and also want a gaming machine, and this is cheaper than getting a PC+console combo.

Also, whatever "elite" you're describing is just a strawman, i have never seen a single individual that has all the characteristics you're describing.
Make no mistake, I give it to them too. Especially in console-centric threads with all that talk about graphics and shit.

This however is a PC-centric thread. And I just thought it interesting to poi out that the majority of PC gamers are actually on hardware that is less performant than a PS5. This isn't even something I ever hose to take a closer look at until this thread was made. Out of just sheer curiosity.

But I have never been one to suggest or tell anyone that one way or the other is the better way for anyone to spend their time or money. Or that what I can do or I am into is better than what they can do or are into.

Guilty_AI

This however is a PC-centric thread. And I just thought it interesting to poi out that the majority of PC gamers are actually on hardware that is less performant than a PS5. This isn't even something I ever hose to take a closer look at until this thread was made. Out of just sheer curiosity.
Well, consider the following then:

Steam has around 130 million active users, saying "the majority" here is meaningless as a minority of this value might just correspond to the amount of ps5s in the wild. In fact, just considering players with RTX 30xx series you'll already get from 25-30 million active users if you do the math.
Then theres also how a lot of these players are just casuals who play nothing but CS once or twice a month. Again, its pointless to just look at percentages, they're just a part of the whole picture.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
3080 less than 2% crazy
4080 0.33% the adopton is not going well.

to be honest, my 3080 would be perfect if not for the fucking 10gb. Nvidia knew what they were doing with this card how to fuck over the customers
It isn't a problem once the memory leaks get fixed.

I probably won't upgrade this console gen.

Well, consider the following then:

Steam has around 130 million active users, saying "the majority" here is meaningless as a minority of this value might just correspond to the amount of ps5s in the wild. In fact, just considering players with RTX 30xx series you'll already get from 25-30 million active users if you do the math.
Then theres also how a lot of these players are just casuals who play nothing but CS once or twice a month. Again, its pointless to just look at percentages, they're just a part of the whole picture.
I don't even like CS, but calling CS players "casuals that play once or twice a month" is being so completely off the mark it's kind of staggering.
There's nothing casual about that game or the people that play it, i can promise you that.

Top Bottom