• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Hardware Survey GPU results May 2023.

Leonidas

Good to see that RTX 4070 charted.
Every RTX 40-series desktop GPU has charted so far.
As for laptops it appears that the RTX 4060 Laptop is the best selling current gen dGPU.
Makes sense considering the highest charting previous gen laptop dGPU was the 3060 Laptop.

The full list of current gen 40-series and RDNA3 cards to make the list so far include...

RTX 4090
RTX 4080
RTX 4070 Ti
RTX 4070
RTX 4060 Laptop

I wonder if we'll see the RX 7600 and RTX 4060 Ti make this list in a few months... cheaper cards seem to do better on the survey.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
wait, the GTX 1650 is back on top...?

God damn it. when will these half a decade old budget cards die already?

Ozriel

M$FT
Doesn’t look like Proton is making a significant difference to the OS split. Some growth in Linux gaming, but it’s miniscule.

GHG

If you're still playing at 1080p with a 1650 just go get a series S.

And limit yourself to some shitty console?

Mike Myers No GIF

feynoob

Banned
IDK man, unless you're playing old games, or on ultra low. It would be a better use of your money. Hell, any of the consoles would be.
We have low mode option. No need for Xss.
Plus never tell a pc player to get a console. That is a taboo.

GHG

IDK man, unless you're playing old games, or on ultra low. It would be a better use of your money. Hell, any of the consoles would be.

If you already have the 1650 it performs similarly to the series S. So why the hell would you waste money on a series S that plays less games, has far less options when it comes to games, mods, peripherals, settings, upgrade paths etc? And to top it all off you have to pay for online and you're tying yourself into a digital only console with a small amount of storage - the only expansion option being overpriced propriatory crap.

I couldn't think of a more collosal waste of money for someone in that position.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

We need steam to post more accurate data. That would be fun to look at. I've been a Steam member for almost 10 years and I've never been queued to take the survey.

But Nvidia is killing it. Good for Jacket Man!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
And my pc only got 3700x .... I remember the HUGE hype for that cpu... turned out it was shit... but I can get 5800x cheaply if my buddy upgrades.
You think there is any point updating either the amount or speed of my 3200mhz 2x8gb ram? to 32 or 3600 ? Ram is super cheap now.
I don't even have pcie 4.0 drives in that pc. I have 2 3.0 nvme drives. 4.0 was crazy expensive and new when I got x570 and 3700x.

Edit. as long as I am willing to fuck around with vram usage in games, this pc will last me whole gen without upgrades and this is what it was built for

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I work with a guy who only play PC games and namely Destiny 2. He has a 1080ti and plays at 1080p. He wants to get Diablo and is worried his setup won’t run it acceptably. I offered him my old 3080 for $200 and he’s like nah I’ll just keep riding this 1080ti because I don’t wanna try to fit a 3080 in my case. There are a ton of people out there who just don’t give a damn about graphics. This guy makes 6 figures too.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I work with a guy who only play PC games and namely Destiny 2. He has a 1080ti and plays at 1080p. He wants to get Diablo and is worried his setup won’t run it acceptably. I offered him my old 3080 for $200 and he’s like nah I’ll just keep riding this 1080ti because I don’t wanna try to fit a 3080 in my case. There are a ton of people out there who just don’t give a damn about graphics. This guy makes 6 figures too.
to be honest 1080ti might be the best gpu Nvidia ever produced. but 200$ 3080? wtf he is crazy

GHG

And my pc only got 3700x .... I remember the HUGE hype for that cpu... turned out it was shit... but I can get 5800x cheaply if my buddy upgrades.
You think there is any point updating either the amount or speed of my 3200mhz 2x8gb ram? to 32 or 3600 ? Ram is super cheap now.
I don't even have pcie 4.0 drives in that pc. I have 2 3.0 nvme drives. 4.0 was crazy expensive and new when I got x570 and 3700x.

Edit. as long as I am willing to fuck around with vram usage in games, this pc will last me whole gen without upgrades and this is what it was built for

If you can get your hands on the 5800x3d then ram speed barely has any impact on gaming performance due to the 3d cache. Not sure how much of a difference it will or won't make for the standard 5800x though.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you can get your hands on the 5800x3d then ram speed barely has any impact on gaming performance due to the 3d cache. Not sure how much of a difference it will or won't make for the standard 5800x though.
yeah I am on a look out but x3d is expensive compared to 5800x which I will have almost for free.
what about 16 vs 32gb ? I am under impression nothing uses it and ram amount doesn't matter

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
wait, the GTX 1650 is back on top...?

God damn it. when will these half a decade old budget cards die already?
They don't have to, those are probably eSports primarily players that don't need more than that for a while, that's a whole different market segment than AAA PC gaming

GHG

what about 16 vs 32gb ? I am under impression nothing uses it and ram amount doesn't matter

Ultimately that comes down to what you're playing and how much you've got going on in the background while you play. If you want to play something that will benefit from the extra system ram then do it, but if there's nothing you're playing that it will make a difference for then I don't see the point in spending the money on an upgrade that you won't see any difference from. May as well hold the money until you want to upgrade to a DDR5 system.

Flyinmunky

1080TI Here! Still run at 1080p on a old ASUS TN 120hz, one with the built in 3D ( Remember 3d Nvidia?)
The odd game i really care like Last of us, God of war, ff16 etc I play on PS5.

Although id love to upgrade to play BG3 on a ultra wide monitor with max settings. May pick up a 5800x3d. Have a old 2700X at moment.

TrueLegend

Now I know why you have shittier experience than most. Get rid of that 3700x. Poor single thread performance is killing you. Even 12100f or 5600g will destroy it in gaming due to most game engines still being single thread heavy. Never go for hype.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Now I know why you have shittier experience than most. Get rid of that 3700x. Poor single thread performance is killing you. Even 12100f or 5600g will destroy it in gaming due to most game engines still are single thread heavy.
yep I think so too. I will 100% get 5800x once my friend upgrades. Why not

Kataploom

Gold Member

I am a 5600x and have never seen that boy pushed at all, but I was thinking on getting 32GB ram, just want sure it was worth it to upgrade ddr4 ram anymore. As my motherboard only has PCI-E 3.0 I'm thinking upgrading the whole CPU, Mobo and RAM just too have an am5 ready PC for the following years, I don't know if that would be a good excuse for you though. I'm still thinking about it though.

A.Romero

We need steam to post more accurate data. That would be fun to look at. I've been a Steam member for almost 10 years and I've never been queued to take the survey.

But Nvidia is killing it. Good for Jacket Man!

Isn't it a setting where you agree to share your info?

TrueLegend

I am a 5600x and have never seen that boy pushed at all, but I was thinking on getting 32GB ram, just want sure it was worth it to upgrade ddr4 ram anymore. As my motherboard only has PCI-E 3.0 I'm thinking upgrading the whole CPU, Mobo and RAM just too have an am5 ready PC for the following years, I don't know if that would be a good excuse for you though. I'm still thinking about it though.
No need. Just change mobo. Always look at target you wanna play at. Currently 3440x1440 at 120hz is high end sweetspot. You don't need anything but a good gpu for that.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Last edited:

Reallink

4090 in 6 months about to pass the 3 year old 3090 that sold 90% of its volume on crypto mining. No one should be questioning or doubting why Nvidia did what they did with pricing, 4090 is the most profitable consumer product in their history. Lot of people got a lot of money and they're happy to spend it

Sleepwalker

Lets see

Series S $300
Online play $60
Baldurs gate $60 (months after launch on other platforms)
500gb of storage + propietary only
Jank ass emulation solution, that you have to pay $20 for.

Total cost for one year of baldurs gate + emulators $440 add in an extra $60 for any extra year of online play.

Existing gtx 1650 pc:

Baldurs gate: $60
Online play : $0
Emulators: $0

And gamepass is also available on PC so its not even a pro for the console lol.

Terrible terrible advice holy shit.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

More 4090 cards than 2080 Ti. No AMD card from the latest 7xxx Series in this list.
Still more 2080 supers though....

Anyways, and to me this should have been in the OP...

over 60% of the GPUs on all of Steam is a GPU that is less powerful than a PS5. Or in a less inflammatory tone, a GPU less powerful than a current-gen console.

That does put a lot of things into perspective, doesn't it?

But even more disturbing.... and this one shocked me... less than 10% of people have a GPU that can actually run a current-gen game at native 4k@60fps.

Now going through DF or general performance threads (here and everywhere) and watching each videos on youtube.... you would never think that is the case.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I want the RTX 4000 and RX 7000 to fail hard
Worst generation of GPUs no improvement unless you spend 1500+ and get a 1000W psu
Bring back normal price and reduce power consumption

Sleepwalker

over 60% of the GPUs on all of Steam is a GPU that is less powerful than a PS5. Or in a less inflammatory tone, a GPU less powerful than a current-gen console.

But even more disturbing.... and this one shocked me... less than 10% of people have a GPU that can actually run a current-gen game at native 4k@60fps.

Now going through DF or general performance threads (here and everywhere) and watching each videos on youtube.... you would never think that is the case.
Whats the percentage of people with a gpu less powerful than a series S?

Leonidas

3080 less than 2% crazy
4080 0.33% the adopton is not going well.
3080 was a "$699" GPU.
4080 is a $1200 GPU.

The 4080 is doing well on this survey when you consider that.

The 4080 is one of the best SHS charting $1200 GPUs ever.

No one should have expected a $1200 GPU which has only been avaible for 1/2 a year to chart anywhere near a "$699" last gen GPU which has had nearly 3 years on the market.

The 2080 Ti also didn't do as well on the chart as the 1080 Ti, which was a similar gen/gen price increase...

Leonidas

The number of Steam users being on par or better than PS5 is still a massive number, and since PS5 is now on par with $220 GPUs, that number will only increase.

If you're comparing Steam user hardware to current gen you have to also include the Xbox Series S. Then the Steam users being on par with current gen greatly increases.

And let's not forget that many console players are still on last gen hardware, casual, non gaming forum dwellers. Probably 90% of the SHS GPUs are better than the worst GPU from last gen, consoles which are still in use today and still have games coming to them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom