• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December II 2014 - A thread for people who don't like sale side posters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squadr0n

Alright Gaf I need help choosing between these 2 space sims. Which is the better buy atm and looking forward since they are both Early Access.

Should I get Kerbal Space Program or Space Engineers?

DarKshodaN

Quick giveaway, stay tuned for more giveaways later!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (DarKshodaN, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

SURGEON SIMULATOR 2013 -- MB-99BD0FA305EC8E43 - Taken by Daedalos42. 3 entrants total.
Legends of Persia -- MB-77AD8981E24CF96F - Taken by redlacs. 1 entrants total.
KINGDOM RUSH -- MB-A2FE9E960A4B8D11 - Taken by Akuosa. 1 entrants total.
BETRAYER -- MB-895E98643365D0B2 - Taken by xezuru. 4 entrants total.
Finding Teddy -- MB-A362E05937E76A1F - Taken by Coldsun. 2 entrants total.
Ethan: Meteor Hunter -- MB-8AC37F708878A9A4 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 1 entrants total.

t1420156841z1.png

City 17

The store is going to feel a bit "empty" tomorrow, after the sale, as it always feels to me. What game is probably going to be the one you will finish first this year my good people?
Probably Hexcells followed by Kentucky, Transistor, Divinity, Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun Dragonfall (in that order)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
New card fodder on the way!
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sekaiproject#announcements/detail/206370544924145399
Happy New Year everyone! Right off the heels of our NEKOPARA launch we're announcing the first Greenlight title of the new year: Sakura Angels. This is a new original title from Winged Cloud.

Summary:
From the creators of Sakura Spirit... comes a brand-new angelic love comedy!

Two girls, blessed with magical powers, are faced with the task of saving the lonely protagonist from the clutches of a mysterious witch and ancient evil, sealed away long ago by his ancestors. What does this sorceress want from our protagonist? Find out more in Sakura Angels!

We have a trailer posted on the Greenlight page. Check it out and vote for it at the link below:

Kinda wish Sekai Project would just focus on more quality titles.

New SekaiProject VN on GreenLight:

Sakura Angels

At which points does Sekai Project needs to stop going through greenlight?
They already have several games on Steam.
it looks so similar to sakura spirit.

and those boobs. so shiny, squeezed tighter than teenage girls at prom. almost bursting the very fabric of reality clothes.

looks boring.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alright Gaf I need help choosing between these 2 space sims. Which is the better buy atm and looking forward since they are both Early Access.

Kerbal is held in high regard but I'm not sure how the two compare.

Arthea

I think this year I will just stick mostly to bundles so I can save up for a actually decent PC.

let me tell you, you won't save this way, unless you skip most of them, quite contrary actually, one cold windy month I had terrible revelation that I managed to spend close to 200€ a month on bundles, at that moment I understood why there are so many bundles and what that does to us (><)
Picking a game there and here doesn't make you spend that much as paying from $2 to $6 daily, because hey! it's cheap!

Unicorn

I've been playing Shadowrun Returns. I'm at 15 hours and feel pretty close to the end, but man.. The last couple "runs" have been pretty long-winded and a bit drug-out. I've enjoyed it thus far, so I'll wrap it up, especially after hearing such good things about Dragonfall.

I'm glad I've had some time to play games as this Winter break has been busy and brief compared to previous years.

I have a lot of games thanks to kind GAFfers and the sales, so I think I'm set for 2015. Just need Monster Hunter 4 to come out and I'm good to go until next summer or winter sale.
EWmof.gif

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
New SekaiProject VN on GreenLight:

Sakura Angels

At which points does Sekai Project needs to stop going through greenlight?
They already have several games on Steam.

I just assume that Valve doesn't like the style of most of the VNs Sekai Project localize, so they just force them to go through Greenlight.

and those boobs. so shiny, squeezed tighter than teenage girls at prom. almost bursting the very fabric of reality clothes.

bert-and-ernie-reactigaj7l.gif

I've been playing Shadowrun Returns. I'm at 15 hours and feel pretty close to the end, but man.. The last couple "runs" have been pretty long-winded and a bit drug-out. I've enjoyed it thus far, so I'll wrap it up, especially after hearing such good things about Dragonfall.

I'm glad I've had some time to play games as this Winter break has been busy and brief compared to previous years.

I have a lot of games thanks to kind GAFfers and the sales, so I think I'm set for 2015. Just need Monster Hunter 4 to come out and I'm good to go until next summer or winter sale.
EWmof.gif

That sounds longer than I expected. Shadowrun isn't a sequel story-wise, is it? I'm thinking I may just play a few hours of Returns and then decide to get Dragonfall if I like it. I don't want to get burnt out before getting to the one I hear is far superior.

kevin1025

Banned
ModBot said:
ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (kevin1025, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

xheRJRF.gif
Year Walk -- MB-1B400E6289F63810 - Taken by DarKshodaN
xheRJRF.gif
Dust: An Elysian Tale -- MB-2CC136F97A13FDF6

t1420158223z1.png

Enjoy!

MRORANGE

If anyone missed it: EmulationStation | A pretty UI for launching your games

http://www.emulationstation.org/
(Video)

EmulationStation is an open source front end for launching your gameswithout needing a keyboard, with it's themes and customization you can have a very slick looking front-end for you games. EmulationStation has metadata about games and supports a variety of OS's and devices including the Raspberry Pi.

6mlCYT1.png

Get boxart and info on your favorite games:

VhzW5o3.jpg

Getting started
FAQ

Example of how to get it working with RetroARCH,

You need to link what the console, parth of games and the right core in the es_systems.cfg

find it in C:\Users\USERNAME\.emulationstation

Say if I wanted to have a megadrive collection, I would do this:

Code:
<systemList>

<system>
		<name>megadrive</name>
		<fullname>Sega Megadrive</fullname>
		<path>~\.emulationstation\roms\megadrive</path>
		<extension>.zip</extension>
		<command>%HOMEPATH%\.emulationstation\systems\retroarch\retroarch.exe -L %HOMEPATH%\.emulationstation\systems\retroarch\libretro\picodrive_libretro.dll "%ROM_RAW%"</command>
		<platform>megadrive</platform>
		<theme>megadrive</theme>	
	</system>

<system>

</systemList>

Just create another <system> tag to define another console.

Arthea

I just assume that Valve doesn't like the style of most of the VNs Sekai Project localize, so they just force them to go through Greenlight.

I wish that was the case (><)
but there were so many well known already released games to go through greenlight process that I began to think it's simpler or something. Of course we don't know why some devs have to go greenlight way over and over again, and others never had.

When you buy a bundle on Steam, can you separately add some games to your library and others to your inventory, or is it one for all?

they are added all or none.

edited: look now, Jasec at it again

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's a ModBot maintenance cycle coming up shortly; during this cycle ModBot will still work but the game art cache and HOT icon generators will not. Basically I'm redownloading the full Steam games database to update the game info cache. This should be done in a few hours.

Edit: Did ModBot just call Year Walk and Dust turds? Edit 2: Fixed. Sorry about that. Those games are not turds.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any point anymore?
They all make it through, it's basically just a formality by now.

Exactly.

But Valve's decisions don't always make sense.

I wish that was the case (><)
but there were so many well known already released games to go through greenlight process that I began to think it's simpler or something. Of course we don't know why some devs have to go greenlight way over and over again, and others never had.

The only response I've seen from Sekai Project about why is that it's complicated.

That's the first one I could find via google, but I think I've read something similar to that on their blog once.

iosefe

those two are extremely different in scope, it's hard to pick. i always recommend kerbal as a rocket/plane builder with proper parts and such, similar to a modler, while Space Engineers looks like proper 3rd person block styled building and more arcade-y flight

*i have no experience with Space Engineers

Toki767

There's a ModBot maintenance cycle coming up shortly; during this cycle ModBot will still work but the game art cache and HOT icon generators will not. Basically I'm redownloading the full Steam games database to update the game info cache. This should be done in a few hours.

Edit: Did ModBot just call Year Walk and Dust turds? Edit 2: Fixed. Sorry about that. Those games are not turds.

Is ModBot using Enhanced Steam to pull prices? Cause it shows up as part of a $1 bundle so that's probably why the turd icon shows up.

Well I meant I wish they wouldn't waste time on stuff like Sakura Spirit and more of the above there.

I guess those titles still bring in some money and are easier to produce than dealing with buying the rights. I mean you saw what happens when you deal with japanese publishers (look at the Steins;Gate Steam mess when JastUSA wanted to release it on Steam as well as some problems with Grisaia IIRC.)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I guess those titles still bring in some money and are easier to produce than dealing with buying the rights. I mean you saw what happens when you deal with japanese publishers (look at the Steins;Gate Steam mess when JastUSA wanted to release it on Steam as well as some problems with Grisaia IIRC.)

Yeah I suppose but I fear it does some damage to the perception of the medium which maybe unfounded but I want VNs to succeed. I'm also pretty much convinced 5pb is just waiting out the contract with Jast to release it themselves gain all the profits at this point.

Arthea

Anyone happen to have any news on a possible release date/ time frame for Mind 0 for PC..? I just remember it got greenlit and then no more news.

yeah, I was wondering about that too for some time, last time anything happened was in September I think and still no date of release even hinted.

Yeah I suppose but I fear it does some damage to the perception of the medium. I'm also pretty much convinced 5pb is just waiting out the contract with Jast to release it themselves and give up profits to them at this point.

I am not that sure about that. Japanese publishers are really.. strange and in some way arrogant and ignorant as hell. I wrote some of my experiences with them before and all those decisions you see/saw before (that its hard to work together with them) also seems to apply to some japanese game publishers.
A lot of them are just ignorant about the western market like "Steam? What is that? No one in Japan uses it, so why should we release our games on there?"

Yeah I suppose but I fear it does some damage to the perception of the medium which maybe unfounded but I want VNs to succeed. I'm also pretty much convinced 5pb is just waiting out the contract with Jast to release it themselves gain all the profits at this point.

Wait wait.
Dare I ask what you think of Hateful BF?

I really thought the sale wasnt really that good for me. Most games I wanted where not discounted that much, since they were pretty new and no russian prices anymore.

So I got Amazing Princess Sarah, Dreadout and Ground Zeroes from Nuuvem.

MUnited83

For you.
let me tell you, you won't save this way, unless you skip most of them, quite contrary actually, one cold windy month I had terrible revelation that I managed to spend close to 200€ a month on bundles, at that moment I understood why there are so many bundles and what that does to us (><)
Picking a game there and here doesn't make you spend that much as paying from $2 to $6 daily, because hey! it's cheap!

I'm a guy who picks up most bundles (the ones with games i don't already own of course) and I think that I never spent more than 50$ in a month in them. And even 50$ is really in the high-end of things, I would say the average I spend is 30$. Though to be fair I rarely do BTAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom