• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Decay 3 is scheduled for 2027

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
lucious lyon wtf GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If true I'm guessing they totally restarted from scratch in UE
The reason for the delay isn't the engine.

It's because pretty much the entire team left soon after Microsoft acquired them. The game had to be rebooted, and it is in development hell because of Microsoft's mismanagement of the studio.

"In fact, reports Kotaku, Undead Labs was pressured into announcing State of Decay 3 at the Xbox Games Showcase in July 2020 well before developers felt the game was ready for it. That, said Undead Labs veterans, was followed by a rushed internal demo for Microsoft leadership, that accelerated their feeling of disarray.

State of Decay 3, according to unnamed sources cited by Kotaku, was supposed to have two more internal demonstrations in the fall of 2021, and Philip Holt, the studio executive brought in as Undead Labs’ chief of staff after Microsoft acquired the studio in 2018, wanted both to include actual gameplay. Developers “revolted,” according to the report, considering the work and crunch that would be necessary to get the project o such a state. While Holt relented, the disruption still pushed a lot of Undead Labs veterans out the door, developers said."
https://www.polygon.com/23005362/st...d-canceled-release-date-undead-labs-microsoft

Why are we taking a release date from this guy? Looks like he's freelance for starters, but let's take his word for it to start another Xbox shitshow thread 🙄

Not too bothered about this game, however MS should be slammed for announcing games so soon knowing damn well they won't be releasing.

This.
Hellblade!

I still maintain that Hellblade 2 is pretty much 100% vapourware at the moment.

They've basically shown a couple of trailers that could easily just be unplayable pre renders and a clip of some actors doing mo-cap.

Varteras

Gold Member
The reason for the delay isn't the engine.

It's because pretty much the entire team left soon after Microsoft acquired them. The game had to be rebooted, and it is in development hell because of Microsoft's mismanagement of the studio.

"In fact, reports Kotaku, Undead Labs was pressured into announcing State of Decay 3 at the Xbox Games Showcase in July 2020 well before developers felt the game was ready for it. That, said Undead Labs veterans, was followed by a rushed internal demo for Microsoft leadership, that accelerated their feeling of disarray.

State of Decay 3, according to unnamed sources cited by Kotaku, was supposed to have two more internal demonstrations in the fall of 2021, and Philip Holt, the studio executive brought in as Undead Labs’ chief of staff after Microsoft acquired the studio in 2018, wanted both to include actual gameplay. Developers “revolted,” according to the report, considering the work and crunch that would be necessary to get the project o such a state. While Holt relented, the disruption still pushed a lot of Undead Labs veterans out the door, developers said."
https://www.polygon.com/23005362/st...d-canceled-release-date-undead-labs-microsoft

Oh wow. I had no idea. I knew a number of Xbox studios were having issues, some more than others, but that must have been real disheartening for the team. No sooner get bought and you're treated like shit right off the bat.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I still maintain that Hellblade 2 is pretty much 100% vapourware at the moment.

They've basically shown a couple of trailers that could easily just be unplayable pre renders and a clip of some actors doing mo-cap.
While I agree with the nature of the trailers they showed, I don't think it's vaporware. It has a 2024 release date now.

NinjaTheory also tweeted that the game is now fully watchable playable.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
2027...?

Damn.

It's getting pretty clear now, that all the CGI trailers they showed back then was just a taste of what to expect this gen. I guess they should have clarified not to expect these games anytime soon.

Also, they still support the second game with big updates and people seems to dig it. Not really my kind of game but enjoyed my time with it until everything went to shit at my camp.
Yeah, makes Hellblade 2 coming in 2024 seem amazing.

cormack12

Gold Member
SoD 2 has been heavily improved and is a really solid game (and a good leap over 1). This is really disappointing and miles out.

I hope they use the time to at least push some conceptual updates to SoD 2 because 2 already feels like it is a game that needs that modnerisation and effort to turn it from B tier into the A tier.

GymWolf

Kinda expected, the first 2 rivals rdr2 in production values and that one was in development for almost 9 years.

The smoke sale that Xbox made in 2019-2020 is incredible.

-Everwild - 2019 - In 2023 we have not seen anything yet
-State of Decay 3 2020 - Seeing the info in the thread, it is going to be long.
-Hellblade 2 - It's supposed to come out next year...but gameplay hasn't been seen yet.
-Perfect dark - The initiative started it (many left...), now Crystal Dynamics is with it (they have also fired people), nothing has been seen.
-Fable - this year we saw something, no gameplay or date, we learned that Eidos Montreal is helping them recently.
- Avowed - we saw gameplay this E3 and it has a date for 2024.

And those that remain...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I didn't make it 1 hour into 1 and 2. Maybe they get better but the series never grabbed me at all. Can't say I really care when this comes out. I'll try it I guess.

GHG

Microsoft has to be the worst publisher at managing studios. Phil is a terrible leader there, never understood why he is so loved by the green ones. They keep talking about how he saved Xbox, but there are probably dozens of execs who could have done a way better job. It just shows that having a gamer lead a gaming company may not always be a good thing.

They are impressionable and need something to believe in.

There's no other logical explanation.

Edder1

They are impressionable and need something to believe in.

There's no other logical explanation.
I get it that he's that guy that whispers sweet nothings in your ear, but at some point I expected people to wake up after all the bs he spewed over many years. I do see people have stopped being so radical in regards to him (their love that is) after so much drama over the last couple of years, but complete mismanagement of studios and the many lies you'd have expected people to distance themselves from him a long time ago. The only explanation I can come up with is that he's that guy who opened fast food joint (GamePass) in your village that everyone is addicted to.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Imagine you get your shiny new console, and watch a teaser trailer for an upcoming sequel during a show.

Except it’s not releasing on your brand new console. It’ll be on the next one lol.

StueyDuck

anything that is announced as a CG trailer should be expected to either never come out or come out years later.

SoD2, Everwild, Contraband, Fable, Perfect Dark, what else from then?

now add Marathon, Fairgames and concord to that list.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
lol... "formulaic".

because SoD3 didn't have any games before it, no siree bob.

We haven't seen SoD3 so we don't know how closely it resembles SoD2. Spiderman 2 and 1 look pretty damn similar.

Plus, isn't SoD3 supposed to be their big MMO? If that's the case, expect a delay to 2028.

Hudo

That sounds like they've either rebooted the project completely or scratched their tech stack (something that Bethesda should do as well) and either developed/are developing a new engine or went with another.

The smoke sale that Xbox made in 2019-2020 is incredible.

-Everwild - 2019 - In 2023 we have not seen anything yet
-State of Decay 3 2020 - Seeing the info in the thread, it is going to be long.
-Hellblade 2 - It's supposed to come out next year...but gameplay hasn't been seen yet.
-Perfect dark - The initiative started it (many left...), now Crystal Dynamics is with it (they have also fired people), nothing has been seen.
-Fable - this year we saw something, no gameplay or date, we learned that Eidos Montreal is helping them recently.
- Avowed - we saw gameplay this E3 and it has a date for 2024.

And those that remain...

All hail Phil and the marvellous Matt Booty

DaGwaphics

In other words, when that trailer was shown they didn't even have napkin notes what to make.

The only industry where a company shows a trailer or concept for a product for the masses (ie. not a crazy concept car meant for buzz) and it can come out up to 10 years later.

Any time they show a trailer that doesn't even have mockup game play in it, I automatically assume it is nowhere near ready. 7yrs really isn't that exaggerated today, games take a long time to make, plus they did quite a bit of post release support on SoD2.

StueyDuck

We haven't seen SoD3 so we don't know how closely it resembles SoD2. Spiderman 2 and 1 look pretty damn similar.

Plus, isn't SoD3 supposed to be their big MMO? If that's the case, expect a delay to 2028.
Lol oh well we haven't seen wolverine but i guess thats formulaic too..

But for some reason SoD3 is pushing the medium forward and is ambitious now apparently.

The mmo was canceled from what I remember. SoD3 is just a sequel

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Lol oh well we haven't seen wolverine but i guess thats formulaic too..
Where are you getting that from?

But for some reason SoD3 is pushing the medium forward and is ambitious now apparently.
That was my best guess from my memory of early developer interviews from back in the day.

The mmo was canceled from what I remember. SoD3 is just a sequel
From my quick Google search, almost nothing is known about the game. It could be a safe sequel...it could be the MMO.

Long story short, it's probably foolish to judge the development progress of a game before we even see it.

Top Bottom