• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GymWolf

Yeah, on Steam. It's a solid 83% there.

I hated it at release. It looked and played like ass on PS4 and I went in expecting a deep RPG. Played it for few hours and stopped. Then I returned on PC years later and yeah, it looked much better and run almost flawlessly. I approached it as survival / exploration game and had a blast. Easily the best Fallout game from a gameplay perspective.
Of course it is the best gameplay wise, the first 2 were basically another type of game and f3 is abysmal gameplay (and plot) wise, really an extremely low bar that doesn't guarantee more than a 7 in my book just because f4 was better than that.

I usually never judge game because of their bugs or performances, i just didn't liked the game that much, full stop.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There's less than 1% chance this game scores under a 90. I mean COME ON!!! The presentation and art alone (with just okay gameplay) would grant this game a 85. Lets be honest. It's beautiful.

splattered

What would there be to regret? 🤔

Giving the game a 10 wouldn't be something to regret. Or he could just be trolling for attention......

Prob gonna give it a lower than expected score and be fair with what he perceives to be problems and negatives... prob regretting all the backlash he's gonna get from angry fans haha

Little Mac

looks like Gene Park‘s review should be ready to go when the embargo is up

Playing the game when you're no longer required to do so has got to mean it's good, right?

85+

200.gif

Last edited:

Romulus

It's going to be interesting to see what reviewers say about the game.

I'm betting it'll be the typical hyperbolic stuff "sets a new bar."
I'm all in without either way but I'm waiting on a VR vorpx mod after playing NMS in VR.

Stuart360

As long as its a good game overall, i dont actually care, but i'll go with 85-90. I just feel that the game seems to set such a high bar in terms of scale and scope that it will probably miss on a few things.

Now if that second deep dive is actually a true representation of the game overall, and not just made to show the game in its best light, then easily 90+.

DaGwaphics

As long as its a good game overall, i dont actually care, but i'll go with 85-90. I just feel that the game seems to set such a high bar in terms of scale and scope that it will probably miss on a few things.

Now if that second deep dive is actually a true representation of the game overall, and not just made to show the game in its best light, then easily 90+.

The experience itself is what matters for sure. I'd go 85-95 depending on the level of polish they were able to achieve in a game of this scale.

If it's still in the top 50 most played games list on Xbox 10 years post release, I guess it must have been quite good. :messenger_beaming: I think it will review well though.

90+ easy, this is an epic game, talking hundreds of hours of content, 1000 planets, so many game systems at play, this isn't a normal game. Seriously I am bewildered at some of the low scores predicted here. Its like its not coming out for everyone's favourite games machine or something 😉

Stuart360

90+ easy, this is an epic game, talking hundreds of hours of content, 1000 planets, so many game systems at play, this isn't a normal game. Seriously I am bewildered at some of the low scores predicted here. Its like its not coming out for everyone's favourite games machine or something 😉
Because you only need a handful of dodgy reviews and 90+ is impossible to get, even if the rest of the reviews are all 9's and 10's. And this will probably get a few dodgy reviews over the whole 'code gate' crap.

DeaDPo0L84

No Mans Sky already did this though. People keep pretending like this game is doing something new rather than simply building upon similar games that came before. Which again is fine, I'm gonna be there tomorrow @ 5 playing this like millions of others. But people always unrealistically hype games up to be much more than they are. Just enjoy it, it doesn't need to be the best at everything, but hopefully it'll be the best at a lot of things to set it up for the next company that does a sci-fi RPG.

Last edited:
Because you only need a handful of dodgy reviews and 90+ is impossible to get, even if the rest of the reviews are all 9's and 10's. And this will probably get a few dodgy reviews over the whole 'code gate' crap.
The Eurogamer thing you mean? I don't think a few reviews will significantly impact the overall consensus. Obviously this will have a lot of reviews more than the average game anyway.

I really want this to be great. I might be forgetting something (which would prove my point), but I can't remember having fun with a sci-fi RPG since Mass Effect

No Mans Sky already did this though. People keep pretending like this game is doing something new rather than simply building upon similar games that came before. Which again is fine, I'm gonna be there tomorrow @ 5 playing this like millions of others. But people always unrealistically hype games up to be much more than they are. Just enjoy it, it doesn't need to be the best at everything, but hopefully it'll be the best at a lot of things to set it up for the next company that does a sci-fi RPG.
I think after spending enough time with Starfield you will find No Mans Sky isn't a fraction of what Starfield is. It couldn't possibly anyway, Bethesda have been working on this before No Mans even came out and they have far more resources and are masters of building worlds and characters.

It's like comparing Saints Row to GTA, same concept but a world apart in terms of ambition.

DeaDPo0L84

I think after spending enough time with Starfield you will find No Mans Sky isn't a fraction of what Starfield is. It couldn't possibly anyway, Bethesda have been working on this before No Mans even came out and they have far more resources and are masters of building worlds and characters.

It's like comparing Saints Row to GTA, same concept but a world apart in terms of ambition.
Your first sentence again is such PR speak, do you work for them or something? Have you played both games extensively and can provide context for the things you're saying? NMS was announced and released well before SF and has an insane amount of content and procedural planets to explore, you can even land absolutely anywhere. I've put a lot of hours in NMS and I have no doubt I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of SF, but this constant hyperbolic statements by people like you do nothing but injustice to both games.

Stuart360

Apart from the fact both games are set in space, and you can mine resources through a gun, i dont really get the Starfield and No Mans Sky comparisons.

Starfield is a story driven RPG with handcrafted cities, settlements, bases, ships you can board, npc's with dialogue etc main and side missions, skill trees and leveling your player, etc, No Mans Sky is basically a survival game with almost no story.
The 1000 explorable planets in Starfield are just part of its side content, and that portion of Starfields side content is basically No Mans Sky's main game.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Not sure what you're laughing at. If 2 is as good as 1, it will be in contention for goty, which is what the guy you quoted said.
In a year that we got TOTK and BG3, i'd say Spiderman 2 stands zero chance at winning the GOTY award, regardless of how Starfield lands. I like Spiderman, but it hardly looks to be breaking new ground. I'm expecting a solid title but nothing more.

Last edited:
Apart from the fact both games are set in space, and you can mine resources through a gun, i dont really get the Starfield and No Mans Sky comparisons.

Starfield is a story driven RPG with handcrafted cities, settlements, bases, ships you can board, npc's with dialogue etc main and side missions, skill trees and leveling your player, etc, No Mans Sky is basically a survival game with almost no story.
The 1000 explorable planets in Starfield are just part of its side content, and that portion of Starfields side content is basically No Mans Sky's main game.
Exactly, the poster got a little offended and accused me of working for Bethesda 🤣 guy needs to take a break 🙄

Macaron

Banned
In a year that we got TOTK and BG3, i'd say Spiderman 2 stands zero chance at winning the GOTY award, regardless of how Starfield lands. I like Spiderman, but it hardly looks to be breaking new ground. I'm expecting a solid title but nothing more.
Its not about winning though. The guy I quoted was laughing at dude for saying it would be in contention. Doesn't seem laughable at all to assume a lot of people will have Spiderman 2 as a top 5, which is contention.

Hot5pur

I anticipate over 90.
Also anticipate some reviewers will be overly critical because this game is Xbox exclusive.
I hope it performs well on PC and has some extra bells and whistles.

Top Bottom