• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has lost 97% of its Steam players in less than six months.

Shut0wen

Baldur's Gate 3 is also single player, doesn't have mods and didn’t drop 97%.
Maybe it means Starfield is not as good as it has been endlessly promoted by MS and fans.
I know the games not good (seriously who would of thought the game would be good when bethesda made the abomination that is fallout 4) but seems like alot gamers go by the merit of x game player drops by y. It actually means nothing but i have no doubt starfields player count will go up once mod support is enabled so doesnt really mean much other then everyone has swen everything in the game or people are bored of it but at the end of the day bethesda and other developers will more then likely not give a fuck because sales have been made i just dont really understand the obsession with the amount of players playing a game

Fredrik

This was expected to have happened since modders didn’t seem excited to move on from Skyrim and the game’s mod support isn’t that great to begin with.
There are 6.8k mods right now on nexus, that’s not bad at all, new mods come every day. But I think the modding tools will give the game a boost. Likely won’t ever reach Skyrim-level but no games do that.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly

How it so quickly turned into "most single player games". Hindsight is 20/20.

Screenshot-20240212-114303-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20240212-114337-Chrome.jpg

This is why Xbox is losing, even the fans are out of touch.

Mokus

Single player game loses most of its playerbase 6 months after launch?

No shit Sherlock. 😂

I finished it after a month or two, and moved on to a multitude of other single player games that I have since completed too. And get this, I no longer boot them up either!

Wank article, wank thread.
Gamers (and Todd Bethesda) were expecting something similar to Skyrim which after launch stayed in top 10 played games on Steam for a really long time (more than six months). That is why the big disappointment. While it's still a good game for many, simply it is not on the same scale as Skyrim.

Hohenheim

Is this really so strange? It's a single player game released in september ladt year, and most of the people who wanted to play this is probably done with it by now?
I loved the game, but i'm one of those who are done with it and therefore part of that percent of "lost players" aka players who have finished the game.

Will probably get a boost when DLC arrives,and when/if it arrives on Playstation.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Is this really so strange? It's a single player game released in september ladt year, and most of the people who wanted to play this is probably done with it by now?
I loved the game, but i'm one of those who are done with it and therefore part of that percent of "lost players" aka players who have finished the game.

Will probably get a boost when DLC arrives,and when/if it arrives on Playstation.
It's strange because fallout 4 which wasn't even considered that good by the playerbase has 3 times as many players after a decade.

avin

Well, I'm still playing it, sort of, but that's because I don't have much time, and it takes me longer in real time to put the game time in. Now, I've moved well past 60 hours, and I see the cracks clearly enough that I may not put in much more.

The artwork is brilliant, it's almost enough to carry the game for me, but still - only almost. The ship builder is great. I don't think the usual criticisms you hear - loading, dull characters, fetch quests - are my biggest issue. Those would be fixable, at least in principle. My problem is Bethesda took a short cut to modeling the space between planets and over planets. It doesn't really exist that I can see, or only to the extent that one fast travels through it. Effectively all of space is a single fast travel point over each planet. You can't fly over planets, for all purposes that space doesn't exist. It's a serious problem for a space sim.

avin

Last edited:

Jadsey

The game that made me sell my Series X.

I found it aggressively poor with some of the worst writing in RPG history.

Weirdly I still played it for 25+ hours...

Last edited:

LordCBH

On the one hand, it’s a single player only game with a definite start and end, so it makes sense.

On the other hand, the shills and bots all told me Starfield is an evergreen title that will never bleed players.

I never even finished it, which surprised me as I really liked it at first. I just wanted stealing ships to matter, selling stolen loot to work (just make them not buy crap), and mining to be an actual thing.

But, yeah. I stead I got planets where I was supposed to ”tske pictures” of plants and animals. I just lost interest.

Luigi Mario

It is pretty normal for a SP games player numbers to plummet. 97% drop isn't much of a story, not one that can really say anything without a lot of data for how other SP games dropped. What isn't normal is that other much older Bethesda RPG's have far more players.

Skyrim - 18.5k
Fallout 4 - 12.4k
Starfield - 4.7k

New Vegas is at 2.7k, it's not impossible Starfield drops below that eventually. The 97% drop isn't really a good news story, but the much lower players than Bethesda's other RPGS while being so much newer is. By Bethesda's standards Starfield was a clear miss.
You can also look at how many players their last big RPG, Fallout 4, retained in the same time frame:

5Hwk3kc.jpg

Fallout 4 released in early November 2015 and still had around 45k players in early April 2016.

1QUIgMf.jpg

Whereas, Starfield released in early September 2023 but only manages around 10k players now.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is why Xbox is losing, even the fans are out of touch.
We will see who gets the last laugh here.

Also, you guys have gotta think that those likes were done before launch. It's not crazy for people to think a Bethesda game would be played for a decade before launch, looks at skyrim and fallout.... Still being played to this day.

It was a good assumption to make.
😀

And double also, no one talks about spider man 2 at all, it's not even a conversation point anymore apart from someone making the odd comment about how woke it is.

Last edited:

Mooreberg

I don't think the question is why early adopters aren't still playing it, especially without an expansion release. The question is, where are the second and third wave of purchases that would keep the player count higher? This game already got the Alamogordo '83 treatment on Xbox at Walmart. A department manager even some bullshit cooked up about all the discs being defective. 😂

StereoVsn

You can also look at how many players their last big RPG, Fallout 4, retained in the same time frame:

5Hwk3kc.jpg

Fallout 4 released in early November 2015 and still had around 45k players in early April 2016.

1QUIgMf.jpg

Whereas, Starfield released in early September 2023 but only retains around 10k players now.
And Fallout 4 (before Starfield) was considered the weakest Bethesda RPG since Daggerfall. So the fact they Fallout 4 retained 4x or so players in the same time period is kind of telling.

Topher

Gold Member

Also, you guys have gotta think that those likes were done before launch. It's not crazy for people to think a Bethesda game would be played for a decade before launch, looks at skyrim and fallout.... Still being played to this day.

😀

And double also, no one talks about spider man 2 at all, it's not even a conversation point anymore apart from someone making the odd comment about how woke it is.

I'm a fan of Starfield, but it is stupid to pit games against each other and make absurd predictions such as these as you will often end up looking silly. As you are finding out here. Just take the L.

Last edited:

geary

How many copies of Skyrim and Fallout have been sold till now? How many sales season had? You can buy Skyrim unde 10 bucks now. No shit that from the 10s of millions sold you have few 10s of thousands players now playing.

This forum threads loses quality with each day passing.

Mooreberg

How many copies of Skyrim and Fallout have been sold till now? How many sales season had? You can buy Skyrim unde 10 bucks now. No shit that from the 10s of millions sold you have few 10s of thousands players now playing.

This forum threads loses quality with each day passing.
The "launched aligned" graphs above your post are not comparing Fallout with eight years of sales versus Starfield with five months of sales. It is objectively performing worse than their last game over the same span of time.

Maybe it sees a comparitively bigger boost upon release of an expansion, maybe not.

Rien

Jelly Belly

😀

Am just fucking with you man. I get you ;)

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
In five months Resident Evil 4 lost 99% of its players, thus proving RE4 is shit (apparently).

ieXKP4O.jpg

I don't even like Starfield and have no desire to try it, but these arguments are silly.

We can also see RE4 picked up after its DLC released and/or got discounts, as you'd expect.
RE4 is a 20 years old game at its core and 15h long. With no replay value except its gameplay loop.

SF was supposed to be this grand rpg to rival Skyrim.
There is a difference in what expectations for these games where. The fact that Skyrim has twice the active player base 20 years after launch tells you everything you need to know about SF success.

5Hwk3kc.jpg

1QUIgMf.jpg

Whereas, Starfield released in early September 2023 but only retains around 10k players now.

Also add Fallout 76 to this.

I am playing it now, to see if Bethesda can update the game. Am assuming they have turned this around?

Its very Fallout 4 ish with map shared with 24 players. Does many things better than that even. Enjoying it.

EDMIX

😀

The deep lolz, nah, you got to let this one go.

Even I questioned this as I want the data to support how often this occurs and....based on their past titles, this is too low for me to pretend as if magically something will change.

5Hwk3kc.jpg

1QUIgMf.jpg

So...this is enough for me to see that this drop is much more compared its peers in the same time frame.

So shit, I like the game too, I got over 60 hours in it, easily my top 10 favorite game I played last year, but I got to go with the facts here. Starfield even on Steam isn't being well received and for people to stop playing like this to this degree kinda shows its not being accepted like those past Bethesda titles.

I'm sure many of us will keep playing it long term, shit I know I'll return for dat sweet DLC, but my argument is not that NO ONE , will play this game, merely that not to the same degree.

We got to just let this one go man and take the L, doesn't make Starfield any less of a game or something.

Top Bottom