• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has lost 97% of its Steam players in less than six months.

Embearded

It is pretty normal for a SP games player numbers to plummet. 97% drop isn't much of a story, not one that can really say anything without a lot of data for how other SP games dropped. What isn't normal is that other much older Bethesda RPG's have far more players.

Skyrim - 18.5k
Fallout 4 - 12.4k
Starfield - 4.7k

New Vegas is at 2.7k, it's not impossible Starfield drops below that eventually. The 97% drop isn't really a good news story, but the much lower players than Bethesda's other RPGS while being so much newer is. By Bethesda's standards Starfield was a clear miss.
Yeah ok, in comparison to other Bethesda games it could mean something indeed.

The concept of RE4 is not even remotely similar to Starfield. If Starfield had been made right, which has not, it would be a single player game with regular updates and new features ala Genshin Impact so people don't leave the game. They should have launched with a few very polished elements and a FUN game loop. Instead, they made a game in which everything is boring and half-assed.

People who left are not coming back.

SJRB

Gold Member
In five months Resident Evil 4 lost 99% of its players, thus proving RE4 is shit (apparently).

ieXKP4O.jpg

I don't even like Starfield and have no desire to try it, but these arguments are silly.

We can also see RE4 picked up after its DLC released and/or got discounts, as you'd expect.

You really want to compare a linear 10-hour action-adventure like RE to an open world 50+ hour RPG like Starfield?

Don't be a doofus.

What? This is not a 6 hour singleplayer campaign.Its supposed to be a massive RPG,these things tend to be played a long time.Baldur's Gate 3,Skyrim etc. Are games that do get played still after 6 months.

Problem with Starfield is that unlike those games.... it's boring as shit.

6 hours is a day or two mate. We are talking about 6 months.

Don't get me wrong I bounced off starfield. I just don't think this data means much at all.

StereoVsn

It is indeed normal for most SP games to lose majority of its audience six months post release. However, as pointed out, the player numbers are not normal for a Bethesda RPG. Fallout 4 and Skyrim have quite a bit higher concurrent numbers despite being much older games.

The main issue being of course that Starfield is disjointed vs their previous games. There is no “what’s over there” moments really where you can organically discover interesting quests, landmarks and so on.

The game overall seems to also have been written even more inconsistently, with generally more boring story and generic/bad characters. How they pulled it off after Fallout 4 Institute nonsense is beyond me.

Then you have still no proper mod support, modders in general being less interested in the game, and very slow level of patching. Compare what BG3 team produced in roughly the same period as what Starfield did. It’s night and day. I am guessing that instead of patching they are furiously working on DLC… which isn’t a great look.

There is more of course, but that’s why Starfield has fairly low concurrent numbers as compared to their previous games, IMO. It really should be quite a bit ahead, but the game is just isn’t good enough for it to be a platform for 10 year support or whatever. And unlike Cyberpunk it would be very hard to improve Starfield due to its design.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
You really want to compare a linear 10-hour action-adventure like RE to an open world 50+ hour RPG like Starfield?

Don't be a doofus.

It takes 100+ hours to fully complete RE4 (achievements). Also there are still 12,000+ people playing Starfield every day. For a full price game it did not do badly on Steam at all. The real flops are things like Forza Motorsport with a few hundred players (which is a genre of game you don't just complete and move on but are expected to play for years).

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is like the Cyberpunk debacle, except CDProjekt fixed cyberpunk and it became a redemption arc. Doubt Bethesda can fix Starfield enough to make it compelling. Cyberpunk had the bones there.
What needs to be fixed in Starfield that can realistically expected to be fixed?

Cyberpunk fixed many bugs, but much of the core gameplay was still the same.

Starfield's biggest problem IMO was that the took out the exploration aspect of it and replaced it with landing on a planet with randomly generated terrain, randomly generated structures. Fallout and Skyrim's best strength was wandering off the beaten path and into new area leading to new Questlines. That was Bethesda's magic that enabled everyone to put up with the kank/bugs. Starfield had almost none of that. It would have been a FAR better game with more fleshed out areas and far less of them. Can't fix that with an update. The game is what it is.

Last edited:

SaintALia

I was interested in it, but then I saw what it actually was and decided to skip it. Too bad too, I mostly can't get into the Skyrim an Fallout games because of their (imo) bad combat and jank. Figured Starfield would fix that for me. Maybe in a sequel though.

I also was not impressed in their world at all. Seemed so unbearably drab. I wish we could get something like the design of Xenoblade X levels of world design art in these types of games.

I think some people have been being way too harsh on the game though.

BigLee74

Single player game loses most of its playerbase 6 months after launch?

No shit Sherlock. 😂

I finished it after a month or two, and moved on to a multitude of other single player games that I have since completed too. And get this, I no longer boot them up either!

Wank article, wank thread.

Ar¢tos

No shit Sherlock. 😂

I finished it after a month or two, and moved on to a multitude of other single player games that I have since completed too. And get this, I no longer boot them up either!

Compare with the number of active players of other similar games from the same developer...

RespawnX

No shit Sherlock. 😂

At some point people will also understand, that Starfield still didn't receive the mod tools which keep the other Bestheda RPG alives.

Peter303

If it wasn't so boring I might still be playing it but I got to a point where I had to protect something otherwise some guys were going to keep persuing me and it just sounded tedious, like doing your taxes tedious. Also I could not get rid of Barrett, I would butt him in the face with my rifle every time he spoke but he wouldn't just fuck off. I guess I have to do his questline but i've no idea what it is. Boring game.

In five months Resident Evil 4 lost 99% of its players, thus proving RE4 is shit (apparently).

ieXKP4O.jpg

I don't even like Starfield and have no desire to try it, but these arguments are silly.

We can also see RE4 picked up after its DLC released and/or got discounts, as you'd expect.
The difference is... that Starfield was supposed to be this game of the generation where people will play it for a decade, and Microsoft spent 500m to produce it. Resident Evil 4 is just a horror game... and it's a remake.

Well most people who like the game will probably be waiting for the expansion to come out.
I was tempted to play it again after the last patch which up dated the graphics but i have too many games to play and not enough time so decided to wait for the expansion to come out.

hinch7

I mean, I stopped playing it because I put over 400 hours into it, so there's that. Lol

I've put about the same into Cyberpunk 2077.

It's not the end of the world. I'll come back to it later on.
400 hours.. wut. I mean its cool that you enjoyed the game but Jesus man. I'd rather watch paint dry lol.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If it wasn't so boring I might still be playing it but I got to a point where I had to protect something otherwise some guys were going to keep persuing me and it just sounded tedious, like doing your taxes tedious. Also I could not get rid of Barrett, I would butt him in the face with my rifle every time he spoke but he wouldn't just fuck off. I guess I have to do his questline but i've no idea what it is. Boring game.
The only time you can't dismiss teammates is if you're in the middle of their quest, but it sounds like you already know that. His actually isn't bad. Just go in the quest log and select it, and it tells you where to go. As for the armillary, just store it on your ship and you don't have to do anything differently except a couple ship battles you can skip if you don't want the free xp.

Top Bottom