• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC requirements - SSD required, 125GB

Laptop1991

If the 1650 and 1060 are still the most popular GPU's on Steam i think the game will scale well and run for most people, otherwise Starfield won't sell as much if only the top cards can play it,, the requirements are never that accurate in some games anyway.

EDMIX

Maybe because hdd's are an outdated technology with a ridiculous reading speed (especially in random data access, which is the main use of games) and games nowadays use streaming technology for textures and assets (especially in open worlds)?
Do you want repeating objects and textures in your game? Because that's the solution for an HDD's slow read speed. Specifically a huge number of small file sizes. Big chunks can still be done at a decent speed but large number of small files slows down the read speed a lot. SDD has an easier time on small files.

So many people were quick to mock when people were excited about SSD's finally arriving in consoles, and now that they are standard across the industry people want to start pearl clutching for mechanical hard drives? Why?

Theses are all solid answers to Sybrix Sybrix question, but I feel its more of a industry thing then a technical thing.

Consoles dictate what will be a requirement on PC. Its been this way for generations now and GHG GHG is correct in the respect that folks literally saw SSD's being put into consoles, they should have been able to fully understand that NOW you are no longer going to see PC games support HDD in regards to AAA games, they are making their games with Series X and PS5 in mind now, why would they have a requirement that is lessor then the default of what PS5 and Series X have in them? So all those games coming from Series X or PS5 to PC, will have that requirement if the core gameplay of those titles needs the SSD to function for some feature or something.

So yea, its been on PC for over 20 years, its not a shock that its now becoming a requirement the very generation Series X and PS5 start using it.

Mithos

The better question would be what's the technical reason for someone still trying to game on a mechanical HDD in 2023?

This sudden resistance towards games requiring an SSD is strange. So many people were quick to mock when people were excited about SSD's finally arriving in consoles, and now that they are standard across the industry people want to start pearl clutching for mechanical hard drives? Why?
1TB "ssd" vs 4TB "hdd" storage for the same price, that is why.

Banned
If the 1650 and 1060 are still the most popular GPU's on Steam i think the game will scale well and run for most people, otherwise Starfield won't sell as much if only the top cards can play it,, the requirements are never that accurate in some games anyway.

I feel like developers should start giving benchmark numbers instead of minimum and recommended specs.

they should have like 10 or so PC builds that have sensible part combinations, using low end and high end cards, and then post the exact settings and framerates of those tests.

like,
Ryzen 5800, RTX2080ti, 32GB DDR5 - 1440p, Medium-High, 60fps
Ryzen 3600, GTX1080, 16GB DDR4 - 1080p, Low-Medium, 60fps
Ryzen 1600, GTX1060 6GB, 8GB DDR4 - 720p, Low, 60fps
Intel i3 Gen 6, GTX980, 8GB DDR4 - 720p, Low, 30fps

and so on.

Laptop1991

I feel like developers should start giving benchmark numbers instead of minimum and recommended specs.

they should have like 10 or so PC builds that have sensible part combinations, using low end and high end cards, and then post the exact settings and framerates of those tests.

like,
Ryzen 5800, RTX2080ti, 32GB DDR5 - 1440p, Medium-High, 60fps
Ryzen 3600, GTX1080, 16GB DDR4 - 1080p, Low-Medium, 60fps
Ryzen 1600, GTX1060 6GB, 8GB DDR4 - 720p, Low, 60fps
Intel i3 Gen 6, GTX980, 8GB DDR4 - 720p, Low, 30fps

and so on.
Yeah, it would be a lot more helpful.

WHAT THE FUCK DOES RECOMMENDED MEAN?
WHY DO DEVS NOT DISCLOSE WHAT SETTINGS AND FRAMERATE THAT RELATES TO?

fucking hell...
Recommended means the game is playable. Minimum means it will boot up and technically run. Ever try to run a game on minimum specs? It sucks.

I even ran games below minimum specs and it was absolutely fine.
I ran doom on minimum specs. It played like ass. I played most pc games during the 90s to 2000s on minimum specs. They all sucked ass. What a time to be alive with voodoo banshee and 2d integrated graphics. And 16 mb of ram for quake 2.

Banned
I ran doom on minimum specs. It played like ass. I played most pc games during the 90s to 2000s on minimum specs. They all sucked ass. What a time to be alive with voodoo banshee and 2d integrated graphics. And 16 mb of ram for quake 2.

welcome to the present then I guess, where minimum spec is usually 2 GPU tiers above what's actually playable.

you can play Plague Tale Requiem at 30fps on a 2gb GTX960 and 8gb of DDR4, even tho the 970 and 16gb DDR4

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I mean ofc, SSD's by now are standard but people seem to panic when they see minimum PC requirements SSD, this thread pretty much proves it. HDD will be fine for those with low-end PC's.
I could easily see this game running very badly on a HDD, lots of stuttering and tons of load times, and then the people who are playing it will be like "omg Bugseda unoptimized." Bethesda is better off getting ahead of this and telling people to buy a $70 SSD and put it in their PC in 2023 FFS.

smbu2000

So are 4 core cpus done now?
Both minimum cpus listed are 6 core cpus. 6 core 2600x and 6 core i7-6800k.
Strange that they would list a former High End Desktop cpu as a minimum on the intel side instead of going with a consumer cpu like the 6core i7-8700k.

Zeypher

Well just gotta keep dragging my 3080 for a couple more years. See no point in getting a 4k series card since I game at 1440p.

Laptop1991

Im going to get a new ssd for the game, an M2, ive got ssd's but not one of the newer ones, they are really cheap at the minute

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Hopefully a 4080 is gonna be enough for 4k60, the game really doesn't look THAT good graphically.
It's Bethesda so even if you had a 4090 you're likely still going to get shit performance. Fallout 4 was (and might still be) a disaster performance wise as I remember getting framerate of 20-35fps and my GPU was higher than recommended GPU specs. The game would run at 60-80fps and then drop to 20-30s.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
CPU requirements are awkwardly low. Both the Ryzen 2600X and the i7 6800K have lower core counts, lower clocks and fewer architectural features than the 8-core Zen2 on the Series S. If the CPU is really being taken advantage of on the Series S, I fail to see how running this game on either of those CPUs with Windows running in the background won't be a problem.

Regardless, I just want this to run on my ROG Ally.

PeteBull

never normally play their games not into fallout etc, i know they are buggy but dann if i get dips to 20 😂💀
R5 5600x is now midtier cpu, bit above my 8700k, and betesda is well known from their terrible optimisation, aka u will get 60fps, but far from stable 60fps, if u know what i mean.
Ofc i might be wrong and starfield somehow runs flawlesly in stable 60 fps even on midrange pc hardware, but doesnt look like they changed their ways, since that recent gameplay footage from yesterday had dips below 20fps :p

Rossco EZ

R5 5600x is now midtier cpu, bit above my 8700k, and betesda is well known from their terrible optimisation, aka u will get 60fps, but far from stable 60fps, if u know what i mean.
Ofc i might be wrong and starfield somehow runs flawlesly in stable 60 fps even on midrange pc hardware, but doesnt look like they changed their ways, since that recent gameplay footage from yesterday had dips below 20fps :p
yeah that’s a shame, i only built my pc a few months ago ago and went with the 5600x wish i went with a 8 core 57/5800x now but will see how it runs. might just upgrade to am5 board and cpu before this comes out depending on prices. fingers crossed it runs ok 🥲

Physical media guys cryin'.
I really am. I'm so fucking hype for this. game. I want the $300 watch. I'm a PS5 guy and I have a shelf of over 100 games from PS2 up and I was very tempted to go buy the Series X for this.

But unfortunately I'm at the point where I don't really feel like spending all of that money to play a game at 30fps. So I may just sell my semi shitty computer and buy a super computer instead so I can plug it into my LG OLED and run it at 4K, 60fps at least.

Kaleinc

Banned
I really am. I'm so fucking hype for this. game. I want the $300 watch. I'm a PS5 guy and I have a shelf of over 100 games from PS2 up and I was very tempted to go buy the Series X for this.

But unfortunately I'm at the point where I don't really feel like spending all of that money to play a game at 30fps. So I may just sell my semi shitty computer and buy a super computer instead so I can plug it into my LG OLED and run it at 4K, 60fps at least.
Get weed and 30fps will look like 300

Trunx81

That’s why games have Demos: To see if the game runs on your computer ..

Let’s see if my sons now old Ryzen 5 3600 and his Radeon RX 6600 can run this beast

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So are these specs to hit 30 fps or 60 fps? you know, since it's a creative decision and all.

Fuck that noise. I didn't pay $1700 on a graphics card to play 60 fps. 120fps minimum, 144 preferred, 165 if a man can dream. 1440p is the sweet spot. MAKE IT HAPPEN BETHESDA.

PeteBull

yeah that’s a shame, i only built my pc a few months ago ago and went with the 5600x wish i went with a 8 core 57/5800x now but will see how it runs. might just upgrade to am5 board and cpu before this comes out depending on prices. fingers crossed it runs ok 🥲
My advice would be first to see how it runs and if u decide to upgrade at some point, go with https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CZ3gXL/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-34-ghz-8-core-processor-100-100000651wof its really op cpu and still relatively affordable + it works on am4, so doesnt need crazy expensive mobo/ram, and perf wise its still extremly good, current BiS cpu aka 7700x3d is only around 20% faster only while costing probably around 2x as much if u include new ddr5 ram and am5 mobo

Get weed and 30fps will look like 300
I definitely played a bunch of Red Dead a couple months while high every time and let me tell you, it was an experience.

It's like 10 times more immersive.

I killed a man who was beating a prostitute and tried to dispose of his body in the pig pen but got caught and ended up in a shootout with the Valentine Sheriff. It was insane haha.

I'm probably going to build a Ryzen 5 5600/RX 6600XT PC for Starfield, and it's time to upgrade anyway. Currently sitting on an FX-8370 and RX480.

Astray

Gold Member
1TB "ssd" vs 4TB "hdd" storage for the same price, that is why.
PC gaming for AAA games has always been an exercise in spending money anyways, the idea that any AAA PC gamer is price conscious should be thrown out of the window imo.

Price conscious people go for consoles, that's why they sell millions of em every year.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
BGS has always treated PC as lead platform, so hopefully we're not going to have to deal the bullshit we see from all these bad console ports lately. System requirements are pretty modest considering this a 30fps game on Series X.

I just built a new PC so I don't anticipate any difficulty running his at high settings with a good framerate.

SSD required. Well, it finally happened.
There are a ton of new games that have this requirement now.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Recommended means the game is playable. Minimum means it will boot up and technically run. Ever try to run a game on minimum specs? It sucks.
This is not really what minimum means in practice. Minimum means the lowest spec they consider "supported." Generally that means if you have min spec you can play a game on medium settings at 1080p and still get at least 30fps. But games can usually scale down a little (or a lot) below that if you're willing to tolerate very low framerates, settings, and resolution.

Things like OS and DX requirements, RAM and VRAM requirements can be hard requirements where the game won't boot otherwise. But performance requirements like the CPU and GPU are usually more flexible.

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm going console at launch. I figure by the time I want it on PC for mods and such I'll be ready to do some upgrades and there will be guidance around what kind of rig I need to run it with the right assets. One of my old builds felt like a Skyrim mod machine with me reinstalling and layering on stacks of mods every week or so. Fun times although I remember tinkering more than playing.

JRW

So are 4 core cpus done now?
Both minimum cpus listed are 6 core cpus. 6 core 2600x and 6 core i7-6800k.
Strange that they would list a former High End Desktop cpu as a minimum on the intel side instead of going with a consumer cpu like the 6core i7-8700k.

Seems 4 core CPUs have been a performance bottleneck for awhile now, especially being PS5 & Xbox Series S/X are running 8 core / 16-thread CPUs.

Not sure why they list 6800K, seems like an oversight being the 8700K was definitely faster in everything especially single core performance.

Top Bottom