• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC requirements - SSD required, 125GB

looks at pc, yup good to go
Model Flexing GIF by G2 Esports

Banned
Despite being on Gamepass, I'm going Steam unless Microsoft makes modding better.

that's 100% an issue on the developers side not on Microsoft's

there's nothing preventing Windows Store games to be as moddable as Steam games.

Halo MCC has a shotload of mods, one team is working on a remake of the original trilogy in the Halo Reach engine, and that mod will work fine on the Windows Store version.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
My 1060 is sadly being bullied... And no PS5 version on the horizon...
Sheet GIF

I do have a 3070 laptop that I gifted to my brother a few months ago. It will have to be good enough. But why can't they make the game work on a 1060?

Banned
So I have gamepass but I can't run it.. Perfect

what PC do you have? minimum specs these days mean nothing.
this will most likely run on a Steam Deck, and that thing is so far below minimum spec of thos game that you'd need to duct tape 5 Decks together to get to the minimum specs

My 1060 is sadly being bullied... And no PS5 version on the horizon...
Sheet GIF

I do have a 3070 laptop that I gifted to my brother a few months ago. It will have to be good enough. But why can't they make the game work on a 1060?

it will most likely run on a 1060

Last edited:

Majukun

what PC do you have? minimum specs these days mean nothing.
this will most likely run on a Steam Deck, and that thing is so far below minimum spec of thos game that you'd need to duct tape 5 Decks together to get to the minimum specs

it will most likely run on a 1060
Issue is the ssd requirement, don't have all that space free on it

Banned
At 720p DLSS 30 fps... maybe...

the 1060 6GB is a very capable GPU still, in fact basically on par with the Series S

so it absolutely will run at least at Series S settings, which I assume will be 900p Low

if the game supports FSR2 it might be an OK 1080p60fps at low with FSR quality or balanced.

simpatico

there's nothing preventing Windows Store games to be as moddable as Steam games.

Halo MCC has a shotload of mods, one team is working on a remake of the original trilogy in the Halo Reach engine, and that mod will work fine on the Windows Store version.
Steam workshop is just easy. MS would have to build that from scratch in the next few months

Banned
Issue is the ssd requirement, don't have all that space free on it

yeah that might be an issue. it might run ok off of a fast HDD. that SSD requirement is most likely a way to make sure noone can complain when it stutters on their old laptop HDD

Banned
Steam workshop is just easy. MS would have to build that from scratch in the next few months

Bethesda has an in-game mod browser these days, so I assume it will be in this as well.

and we don't know if this has workshop integration... or is it already confirmed?

StueyDuck

Jesus... 125 gigs of ssd space, the game better be fucking revolutionary.

I mean there's a certain other space game that needs an SSD and is doing far far far more interesting/Impressive things with their tech

Stuart360

yeah that might be an issue. it might run ok off of a fast HDD. that SSD requirement is most likely a way to make sure noone can complain when it stutters on their old laptop HDD
Yeah you're right, they are just covering themselves. It will probably run on a HDD, but you would have to play at like 30fps or so.

Its same with minimum requirements, you can often play games with hardware that is considerably lower, but they give those minimum settings to stop people with patato hardware cant complain when they have to play on low at 30fps etc.

Krathoon

I bet an external SSD would work fine. I think I got some bays for internal SSDs on my desktop PC.
I tried the Forespoken demo with an external SSD and it worked fine.

Banned
Yeah you're right, they are just covering themselves. It will probably run on a HDD, but you would have to play at like 30fps or so.

Its same with minimum requirements, you can often play games with hardware that is considerably lower, but they give those minimum settings to stop people with patato hardware cant complain when they have to play on low at 30fps etc.

I think many oldschool PC players still aren't used to that.
because back in the 90s and early 2000s, minimum literally meant minimum.

that was mostly due to the rapid development in new graphics tech. if you were one GPU gen too old your card wouldn't support the newest shaders and APIs
and minimum specs were often almost unplaybe, just barely able to start the game.

it's a good thing that this changed to how it is now, but with the disadvantage that you will always have to check YouTube or Reddit to look around if your GPU works well with a game even tho the devs said it would be too low.

it's not rare that you can get a decent 30 to 60fps Performance on below minimum spec cards.

and then of course, what does it mean when a GTX1070TI is the minimum? does that mean a 980 is above or exactly at minimum spec? where does a 980ti slot into this?

and especially if the devs don't disclose what minimum means it's really hard to say what kind of PC will be a good fit without looking up benchmarks 😅

if this minimum spec is 1080p60 low, then a GTX1060 will be more than enough even tho the 1070TI is the minimum

Stuart360

it's a good thing that this changed to how it is now, but with the disadvantage that you will always have to check YouTube or Reddit to look around if your GPU works well with a game even tho the devs said it would be too low.

it's not rare that you can get a decent 30 to 60fps Performance on below minimum spec cards.
Honestly thats all anyone needs to do if they are on low end hardware, just do a youtube search with yourgpu/cpu and check how the game runs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all windows store games locked to users? I know I have forza 7 from windows store (last one I buy) and you can't get to the root directory as it's hidden. It also doesn't let you download an installer. Its flaky and took 3 times to install that game. I hate windows store. Its horrible walled garden bs.

If this doesn't have a steam release, no buy.

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all windows store games locked to users? I know I have forza 7 from windows store (last one I buy) and you can't get to the root directory as it's hidden. It also doesn't let you download an installer. Its flaky and took 3 times to install that game. I hate windows store. Its horrible walled garden bs.

If this doesn't have a steam release, no buy.

that was changed a few years ago.
some older games are still that way, but you now can set an install folder for all your drives (like Steam Library folders), and you have access to all the files the developers allow.

Nah, it'll run on HDD just like Ratchet and Clank will. People are so fucking stupid and gullible lmao, it's like they never had a PC in their life.
Yep, it may be a bit slower loading up, but it will work. All games I have work on my hdd. I have 1tb in ssd but only use that for windows and cyberpunk. Everything else has gone to my 5gb of hdd, and its not been a problem. Now putting windows on a hdd , would slow things down a lot, its still doable, but not recommended.

GHG

Nah, it'll run on HDD just like Ratchet and Clank will. People are so fucking stupid and gullible lmao, it's like they never had a PC in their life.

Yeh it might "run" but why would you?

There are plenty of examples of games that run like ass on a mechanical HDD and everyone with the rest of the min spec hardware has access to at least a SATA SSD now so what's the point?

Banned

There are plenty of examples of games that run like ass on a mechanical HDD and everyone with the rest of the min spec hardware has access to at least a SATA SSD now so what's the point?

modern games run absolutely fine on a good mechanical drive.

I wouldn't want to use one anymore, but for people with smaller SSDs and huge HDDs, it's an option

I mean ofc, SSD's by now are standard but people seem to panic when they see minimum PC requirements SSD, this thread pretty much proves it. HDD will be fine for those with low-end PC's.

killatopak

Maybe but on PC Star Citizen exist which is literally dogshit on HDD. I don't want to gamble nor is it economically not feasible unlike in the past where SSD were very expensive. They're pretty cheap now and the benefits reach far more than games. Just look at laptops nowadays. Unless you're customizing your own Laptop like Sager pretty much everything comes with an SSD nowadays.

ebevan91

I have an M2 drive I bought over a year ago and haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I think Starfield is gonna go on that bad boy by itself.

killatopak

Star Citizen isn't a finished game, far from it.
basically I'd look at Star Citizen as a next gen game... because let's be real, no fucking way the full game will be out before the PS6
I agree but I won't fuck around and find out when it actually make my experience worse than it should be especially on a Creation Engine game.

mrcroket

Whats the technical reason why an SSD is required?
Maybe because hdd's are an outdated technology with a ridiculous reading speed (especially in random data access, which is the main use of games) and games nowadays use streaming technology for textures and assets (especially in open worlds)?

killatopak

Do you want repeating objects and textures in your game? Because that's the solution for an HDD's slow read speed. Specifically a huge number of small file sizes. Big chunks can still be done at a decent speed but large number of small files slows down the read speed a lot. SDD has an easier time on small files.

EDMIX

Like I've said for fucking years now, SSD has existed on PC for over 20 years, yet was never some requirement to play games and no developer made a AAA game around PC and ONLY a next gen only title will start that requirement....

Here we are folks lol

Something existing on PC, doesn't mean the industry will actually, fully 100% use it, its only when its on all consoles (the market leaders of AAA games) that we end up seeing a increase in specs as they force the specs to go up each generation. So PC gamers may have had SSD first, they clearly were not having it utilized to its fullest to actually take advantage of a game though.

Thank Series X and PS5 for that folks =)

GHG

The better question would be what's the technical reason for someone still trying to game on a mechanical HDD in 2023?

This sudden resistance towards games requiring an SSD is strange. So many people were quick to mock when people were excited about SSD's finally arriving in consoles, and now that they are standard across the industry people want to start pearl clutching for mechanical hard drives? Why?

Top Bottom