• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Fredrik

Back to Starfield again, finished Ryujin and thought that was quite cool, went with 100% stealth and manipulation, fun

I heard so many good things about Vanguard so now it’s time
bp5XBcG.jpeg

So far I’ve done the flight simulator, couldn’t beat tier 6 but took down the 5th wave at least. Met the terrormorph in the rain at night, scary stuff 😨

Some scenery photos
CT8fMXg.jpeg

TC81EFc.jpeg

Some big footprints outside Akila, couldn’t conclude what had made them
DTzfl7Y.jpeg

Went to a spaceship where zero G turned on and off, cool

Thanks modders for decent curves mods on NPCs
CLmBwFk.jpeg

226.5 hours total now, this game deliver on content like nothing else.

Last edited:
Back to Starfield again, finished Ryujin and thought that was quite cool, went with 100% stealth and manipulation, fun

I heard so many good things about Vanguard so now it’s time
bp5XBcG.jpeg

So far I’ve done the flight simulator, couldn’t beat tier 6 but took down the 5th wave at least. Met the terrormorph in the rain at night, scary stuff 😨

Some scenery photos
CT8fMXg.jpeg

TC81EFc.jpeg

Some big footprints outside Akila, couldn’t conclude what had made them
DTzfl7Y.jpeg

Went to a spaceship where zero G turned on and off, cool

Thanks modders for decent curves mods on NPCs
CLmBwFk.jpeg

226.5 hours total now, this game deliver on content like nothing else.

Bethesda might be only company that has photograph worthy landscapes generated via procedural generation.

Playing RDR2, that has scenery everywhere you look but thats handcrafted mostly.

Fredrik

Bethesda might be only company that has photograph worthy landscapes generated via procedural generation.

Playing RDR2, that has scenery everywhere you look but thats handcrafted mostly.
z9Nhqzi.jpeg

IcjgxI8.jpeg

rivI6xt.jpeg

yhEJH0J.jpeg

W6UXYmO.jpeg

No joke no photo mode needed the game looks fantastic, almost everytime tbh. Well maybe not looking at NPCs. And it’s certainly a big difference from No Man’s Sky when it comes to procedural generation where the math could mess up and place things in very strange ways.

dmUtEqd.jpg

gugba0m.jpeg

And the internals are almost always good looking as well, great texture work and lots of clutter. I love the clutter. Been trying to add that to my biggest outpost and it’s not easy but worth it, that’s how it looks like someone is living there. Good way to use stuff that’s filling up the ship cargo.
The ship I talked about with Zero G going on and off was awesome when clutter started floating and then came crashing down, very cool.

No surprise but I think people have been far too critical on this game, when you take it for what it is instead of not reaching unrealistically high expectations it’s really like nothing else out there. Feels like it can be played forever. It just keeps on going. I wonder if side quests are somehow procedural and using computerized speech, there are new things added to the list all the time. Have someone actually crafted them and been recording voices to all that??

Fredrik

Finished the UC Vanguard faction. Kinda weird that it’s possible to do Ranger and Vanguard with the same character considering the friction. I was walking around with my Ranger clothes when talking to UC people 😬
Anyhow, in general a great faction, lots on important history told. But I thought it was too easy. Maybe I did the faction too late?

Need to do Mantis in this playthrough, thought it was great. Honestly, could be a faction, must be one of the biggest side stories.

ECS could be one too, they should flesh it out more in an update, do more with the art and have bigger consequences from choices.

Juno could’ve been fleshed out more into a whole faction too, just a minor questline now but with tons of potential.

Anyhow, new year and this year we’ll get more updates and Shattered Space 🥳

calistan

z9Nhqzi.jpeg

IcjgxI8.jpeg

rivI6xt.jpeg

yhEJH0J.jpeg

W6UXYmO.jpeg

No joke no photo mode needed the game looks fantastic, almost everytime tbh. Well maybe not looking at NPCs. And it’s certainly a big difference from No Man’s Sky when it comes to procedural generation where the math could mess up and place things in very strange ways.

dmUtEqd.jpg

gugba0m.jpeg

And the internals are almost always good looking as well, great texture work and lots of clutter. I love the clutter. Been trying to add that to my biggest outpost and it’s not easy but worth it, that’s how it looks like someone is living there. Good way to use stuff that’s filling up the ship cargo.
The ship I talked about with Zero G going on and off was awesome when clutter started floating and then came crashing down, very cool.

No surprise but I think people have been far too critical on this game, when you take it for what it is instead of not reaching unrealistically high expectations it’s really like nothing else out there. Feels like it can be played forever. It just keeps on going. I wonder if side quests are somehow procedural and using computerized speech, there are new things added to the list all the time. Have someone actually crafted them and been recording voices to all that??
Man, I wish I could have got into this properly. It looks so good, and I was totally up for Fallout/Skyrim in space, but warping between mission objectives via menus just left me cold.

I appreciate all the amazing screenshots and stories though. I hope one day I can go back to it and figure out how to play it the "right" way. Got all the way to the penultimate story mission without ever feeling like I was a part of that world.

Fredrik

Man, I wish I could have got into this properly. It looks so good, and I was totally up for Fallout/Skyrim in space, but warping between mission objectives via menus just left me cold.

I appreciate all the amazing screenshots and stories though. I hope one day I can go back to it and figure out how to play it the "right" way. Got all the way to the penultimate story mission without ever feeling like I was a part of that world.
Might not be for everyone but after the first playthrough I’ve tried to not force myself to go after the linear main story, it can quickly become a repetitive collectathon.

I play it like I play No Man’s Sky instead and how fun is it to go after the Atlas stations there? Not very fun.

There is so much more to see and do outside the main path that makes it better in my opinion. In my current playthrough I’ve focused on side content, small missions, factions, building spaceships, outposts, cargo transports between planets, robot defense, farms, green houses, finding cool planets, doing survey scans, and just enjoying the nice views and atmosphere.

I just wish there were some planet surface vehicles. It drives me crazy to do all these long walks, especially when doing resources runs and dealing with encumberance.
There is an insane amount of vegetation on some planets though so a car wouldn’t be possible. Maybe a small hoverbike that would fit between the trees. Or a pack upgrade to boost forward. Or just call your ship and add some beam me up Scotty mechanic.
I hope we’ll see something like that when the bigger upgrades arrive.

Fredrik

Check this mod out and become a starship designer. So cool!

Woah that’s a chunky mod, the mod community is starting to really warm up now, that could be an official update

Orbital2060

The graphics in the game are awesome, a huge step up from earlier Bethesda games.

And the teams have obviously put a lot of love into making locales look nice and quaint, and with lots of attention to detail everywhere you look.

Akila city

(Series X)

cxunyrnz.png

2ewoh6cp.png

Some random agricultural plant we found. All of the staff were dead and laying around, which has happened a few times. Random site, lots of dead bodies behind closed door or out in the open. Maybe something related to a quest I havent gotten to yet?

qh3ilp62.png

vnt9fb9r.png

ekipl2ph.png

Hopetech factories. The sheer scale and graphical fidelity, quite unlike any game from Bethesda before. Awesome stuff. I can forgive them for some other things, like the map and user interface, when so much work has obviously been done to make the game look up to date and modern.

7gicxyxb.png

w8ns5vgq.png

4lvz8pcs.png

Last edited:

twilo99

The question is how can it be done so it doesn’t feel that way when the action takes place on different worlds?

Fredrik

QfHRBIk.jpeg
GpcgzsL.jpeg

Anybody tried the lived-in outpost mod?

Would solve the empty outpost problem. I’ve tried to add clutter myself but it’s difficult and time-consuming.

Fredrik

There are a bunch of ”Shapely” mods that adds curves to certain formal and service desk costumes, go with the ”Slim” variant for the version seen in that photo, then there are some ”Thicc” mods as well. Highly recommended, adds some spice to an otherwise boring population. Better Crowd is another mod that removes some odd ugly looking faces and replace them with fairly nice looking ones. Haven’t used it long enough to spot any problems.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I've got to quit reading this thread. It makes me want to return to the starfield, but I also want to wait until the DLC comes out and start the game all over again. The screen shots in here are all so beautiful. I really miss playing Starfield.
Yeah, I don’t think people talk enough how great this game looks, and only focus on some NPC’s that you run past 99% of the time.

I’m like you too though. Every time this thread pops up, I think that I need to finish my first 400+ hour playthrough, lol.

avin

I have nothing like the hours on this some do, but this needs to be played on a high-end PC. I just tried it on XSS, and it's a much less pretty game, and then there's the lack of mods. It's better on XSX, but still not great. On XSS in particular I get the low 80s score, and I'm amazed that it runs at all. I think I get some of the unfortunate design decisions, and I - selfishly, I guess - really wish Bethesda could simply drop console support.

avin

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've got to quit reading this thread. It makes me want to return to the starfield, but I also want to wait until the DLC comes out and start the game all over again. The screen shots in here are all so beautiful. I really miss playing Starfield.
Not gonna lie, I've been in a bit of a depressed, gaming funk since I stopped playing this. Been bouncing around to other games. Some fun stuff but none of it has compared at all.

Stuart360

Not gonna lie, I've been in a bit of a depressed, gaming funk since I stopped playing this. Been bouncing around to other games. Some fun stuff but none of it has compared at all.
I spoiled myself online looking up story details, and hated how it sounded so i never finished thr story.
The side content though is classic Bethesda through and through, and pretty awesome. No one really makes these kind of games like Bethesda.

Fredrik

Yeah, I don’t think people talk enough how great this game looks, and only focus on some NPC’s that you run past 99% of the time.

I’m like you too though. Every time this thread pops up, I think that I need to finish my first 400+ hour playthrough, lol.
Don’t fight it, just give in to your cravings and go back to play it! 😁

I have hundreds of photos, I think it looks amazing tbh.

And I’m up at 250 hours total now, 35+ hours just in the last week. 170 hours on this playthrough and no rush to finish it, still only one single main quest done, as with all Bethesda games there are other stuff to do than following that linear path. I have my own crew instead of the (imo boring) Constellation crew and lots of chunky outposts and I roleplay as a goody goodshoes settler just minding his own business.
I’m doing the factions though, minus Crimson Fleet which clash with the character. Could possibly go with the SysDef angle but we’ll see. I want to do the Mantis quest too, one of my favs.

Hoping they tweak NG+ in an update SPOILERS It’s currently a roguelike and wiping the outposts was more annoying than dying at the final boss in Returnal. The current iteration is so not for everyone.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Don’t fight it, just give in to your cravings and go back to play it! 😁

I have hundreds of photos, I think it looks amazing tbh.

And I’m up at 250 hours total now, 35+ hours just in the last week. 170 hours on this playthrough and no rush to finish it, still only one single main quest done, as with all Bethesda games there are other stuff to do than following that linear path. I have my own crew instead of the (imo boring) Constellation crew and lots of chunky outposts and I roleplay as a goody goodshoes settler just minding his own business.
I’m doing the factions though, minus Crimson Fleet which clash with the character. Could possibly go with the SysDef angle but we’ll see. I want to do the Mantis quest too, one of my favs.

Hoping they tweak NG+ in an update SPOILERS It’s currently a roguelike and wiping the outposts was more annoying than dying at the final boss in Returnal. The current iteration is so not for everyone.
I like new game +.

After 450 hours I think I did virtually everything. It makes you kind of re-evaluate your attachment to material possessions. Walter had a cool character moment where he was too afraid to cross over because he was attached to his wealth. Pretty fitting. You start to value more only the things you take with you, xp, powers. You can get through a new game+ run pretty quick. Like 5-8 hours. I did 4 already. Going max all the powers. And I honestly felt ready for it because of other story reasons.
Story spoiler
Sarah died in my 1st game and I was pretty into her. So it kind of gave the new game+ runs a greater sense of purpose. Will end on a +10 run with full powers where she's still alive.

Fredrik

Same. Right now I think I’m forcing myself to like Baldur’s Gate 3.
I will try it after some discounts. Some stuff looks very cool. Some stuff I have reservations about. I'm in no rush. Want to try Pillars 1 soon so I have some understanding of Avowed.
Wrong thread but I started BG3 in December, the roleplaying and possibilities is fantastic but for me it plays too slow and feels clunky. And the complexity of it all is truly something else, I feel like I need a dnd for dummies guide lol. It’s more like a point and click game than I thought it was. Will return some day when I have more time but for now I stopped 25 hours in and went back to Starfield instead.

amigastar

Wrong thread but I started BG3 in December, the roleplaying and possibilities is fantastic but for me it plays too slow and feels clunky. And the complexity of it all is truly something else, I feel like I need a dnd for dummies guide lol. It’s more like a point and click game than I thought it was. Will return some day when I have more time but for now I stopped 25 hours in and went back to Starfield instead.
From what i've know the complexity isn't that bad. I've heard Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous is much more complex than BG3 which i'm gonna finally play when i finish BG3.
Also i wanna play Starfield some time.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
That's me exactly! I hope Bethesda has a ton of story DLC for this game. I'll buy every bit of it. That was one of the things I loved about Fallout 3 (my all-time favorite game) they had several great story DLCs and some were as big as a typical Sony game.

Before the GotY edition came out I was going square by square on the map to try to find any quests I might have missed or run into any random encounters.

I didn't like new game + and I think that's how I was able to quit playing Starfield. I never do NG+ if I'm going to replay a game I want to go about acquiring bigger and better weapons, armor, ships etc.

Fredrik

From what i've know the complexity isn't that bad. I've heard Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous is much more complex than BG3 which i'm gonna finally play when i finish BG3.
Also i wanna play Starfield some time.
Depends what you’re comparing it to, and your experience. Used to play some dnd on the C64 and Amiga, and BG1 on PC, but that was awhile ago so I’m a bit rusty.
In the end I just feel like it’s slow. Nothing can be done quickly with all the choices and icons and menus.

Orbital2060

Cydonia, I love it.

tiy7w3pk.png

myyu5k6h.png

ohbckamq.png

You can walk around inside of Neon and still see your ship parked in the distance.

apfg3hqz.png

9hn7yw7p.png

fygjcff8.png

Visiting Vlad´s pad, got himself a nice setup. I like how you can see your character piloting the ship in cutscenes when landing and taking off. Found some nice stuff in the basement behind the locked door, one of the best handguns Ive seen in the game so far.

ot7myo2q.png

gtelkwzf.png

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Cydonia, I love it.

tiy7w3pk.png

myyu5k6h.png

ohbckamq.png

You can walk around inside of Neon and still see your ship parked in the distance.

apfg3hqz.png

9hn7yw7p.png

fygjcff8.png

Visiting Vlad´s pad, got himself a nice setup. I like how you can see your character piloting the ship in cutscenes when landing and taking off. Found some nice stuff in the basement behind the locked door, one of the best handguns Ive seen in the game so far.

ot7myo2q.png

gtelkwzf.png
You can see your character piloting in more than just cutscenes. You can zoom around in photo mode. Your entire ship interior and npcs are all generated.

avin

You can get through a new game+ run pretty quick. Like 5-8 hours. I did 4 already. Going max all the powers. And I honestly felt ready for it because of other story reasons.

You'd need to do hundreds of those stupid temples.

I decided this was one place where cheesing it with mods was entirely defensible.

avin

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You'd need to do hundreds of those stupid temples.

I decided this was one place where cheesing it with mods was entirely defensible.

avin
Yeah its kind of a podcast game that I grind in the background. Like leveling up in a JRPG. Its not a huge boost either.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I'm still rocking Starfield damn near exclusively. I've tried other games but always end up coming back and still discovering new stuff all the time! This game is wild. I've played and loved many games throughout my life. Nothing quite calls to me like Starfield. I hesitate finishing the main quest almost religiously but eventually, I know I need to complete it. Just so much stuff to do and see. Crazy....

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Seems the Starfield OST got delisted from Apple Music. Annoying, as I listen to it all the time. I don't know if they've actually put it up for sale yet either.

All the other Bethesda stuff is still up so hopefully it's a temporary issue.

Fredrik

I'm still rocking Starfield damn near exclusively. I've tried other games but always end up coming back and still discovering new stuff all the time! This game is wild. I've played and loved many games throughout my life. Nothing quite calls to me like Starfield. I hesitate finishing the main quest almost religiously but eventually, I know I need to complete it. Just so much stuff to do and see. Crazy....
The main quest ends up like a collectathon roguelike. I don’t like it. I did it once but plan to stay away until I see them change it somehow.

The pull for me comes through the side content, open world, creative mechanics and factions. Feels like it’ll never end. And I’ve heard people talk about cool stuff I’ve never seen in my 250 hours which is kinda crazy.

To continue on the playtime. If a game makes me put in hundreds of hours and I can still return to it and enjoy my time, then it deserves a high spot.
My whole top 5 on Steam ranked on playtime is actually these in some way similar open world games I just can’t stop playing.

Top 5 Playtime:
No Man’s Sky
Elden Ring
Cyberpunk
Starfield
Skyrim

And unless my memory fails me they were all my Game of the Year too. Deserved!

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The main quest ends up like a collectathon roguelike. I don’t like it. I did it once but plan to stay away until I see them change it somehow.

The pull for me comes through the side content, open world, creative mechanics and factions. Feels like it’ll never end. And I’ve heard people talk about cool stuff I’ve never seen in my 250 hours which is kinda crazy.

To continue on the playtime. If a game makes me put in hundreds of hours and I can still return to it and enjoy my time, then it deserves a high spot.
My whole top 5 on Steam ranked on playtime is actually these in some way similar open world games I just can’t stop playing.

Top 5 Playtime:
No Man’s Sky
Elden Ring
Cyberpunk
Starfield
Skyrim

And unless my memory fails me they were all my Game of the Year too. Deserved!

Number 6 on that list should be Oblivion. Starfield is basically a modern take on that game and one that does a lot of things worse compared to good old Elder Scrolls IV.

Have you played it? If yes, what are your thoughts?

Top Bottom