• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

BigLee74

This was me. I wad just so shocked at how disappointing planet traversal and exploration is. The problem with focusing on faction and questing is the God damn loading screen Simulator it becomes

I still think they could've made planet exploration better by giving us more resources and wildlife to scan. No man's sky you can scan much more. Course that only goes so far.

I didn’t particularly like the scanning in Starfield either, as you basically had to run about with the scanner activated, and all the nice creatures were just permanently coloured blue or green.

DaGwaphics

lol I've never seen that bug
I wonder if is has something to do with mods or something. Never experienced anything like that either.

The only bugs I really encountered was the hitching on auto-save when I was carrying a lot of items and there were a couple times when I had a strange cursor that appeared (looked a bit like the pointer from the edge app, LOL).

Havoc2049

I wonder if is has something to do with mods or something. Never experienced anything like that either.

The only bugs I really encountered was the hitching on auto-save when I was carrying a lot of items and there were a couple times when I had a strange cursor that appeared (looked a bit like the pointer from the edge app, LOL).
The Edge app pointer randomly appearing in games is an Xbox bug. It happens to me sometimes in Halo MCC, Halo Infinite and Sea of Thieves.

I've never seen the bug where space debris attaches to ships.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finally trying to go all in on outposts. This is just damn cool. There's so much to it.

Can't wait for survival mode. When they talk about having to create helium extraction outposts at specific spots to increase grav jump chains, you know they toned the difficulty way, way down.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I feel like some of these planets look slightly better after the last update.

JIdc71f.md.png

Punished Miku

Gold Member

This just seems like so much work to really set up a full base with most materials. I dont know if I have it in me.

Just learned you can link a transfer station to other cities or space stations for those delivery quests and it just does it all for you.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Beat new game +1. Was honestly pretty fun. Chose to speed run it with as little gear as possible. Didnt buy a single med pack or gun. The last stretch of fights was honestly a blast. Had to get creative to even survive it and just use whatever equipment I'd find on dead bodies.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Some of these late game powers are super fun.

Never gets old to pop a gravity well into a group of 10 enemies and then drop a inferno mine on them. I literally have to drag the bodies apart to loot them because it's just a tangled mass of limbs when it's done.

Phase Time is just brilliant for stealth players. Can easily kill almost anything or just sprint past them unseen. Super fun.

Create Vortex is just conceptually awesome. Nice AoE move that you can use to hit areas where enemies are behind cover.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
New 'patch' is out and the notes are absolutely hilarious:

- Addressed an issue that would cause space matter to become stuck to player's ship during space travel. Loading a save will now remove the space clingon.
Please note: This fix should address any space matter being stuck in your travels, but not in instances where player ships have New Atlantis attached. A fix for that will be released in a later update.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm now clearing out whole facilities with just a dagger and not ever getting detected. I can drop one guy with a x10 sneak attack and use the power and take down 2 more all close together with no alerts. Maxing out dueling next for the +50% melee damage boost.

EDMIX

I feel like some of these planets look slightly better after the last update.

JIdc71f.md.png

I hope in an update, they have a feature where a planet can just be some random type number, where if you put it into the ship like "coordinates", you can set your ship to go to said planet. This would make it easier for us to share where we've been and likely increase the conversation around our travels

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I hope in an update, they have a feature where a planet can just be some random type number, where if you put it into the ship like "coordinates", you can set your ship to go to said planet. This would make it easier for us to share where we've been and likely increase the conversation around our travels
I'd like a full planetary database and bestiary. The scanning is simplistic but could be more rewarding with simple additions like that.

Chukhopops

I'm now clearing out whole facilities with just a dagger and not ever getting detected. I can drop one guy with a x10 sneak attack and use the power and take down 2 more all close together with no alerts. Maxing out dueling next for the +50% melee damage boost.

What melee weapon are you using? I’m using the same Vaarun blade since forever.

Melee / Stealth is really fun but the initial experience is miserable until you get all the skills you need.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Melee / Stealth is really fun but the initial experience is miserable until you get all the skills you need.
Va Ruun blade is the best in the game. I wish they would add more melee weapons. There's a unique Va Ruun blade you can get at the very very end if you choose evil options.

I just use whatever I can find since Im grinding new game + runs for powers and xp.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Chukhopops Chukhopops After dueling is done I'm going to max out EM weapons and hand to hand though. Not sure how good that is.

All I know is that nova disruptor plus stealth is insanely good. Even high HP enemies with multiple armor bars can be stealth dropped in one shot usually with an EM weapon. Then just sneak up to them and chop them up while they're paralyzed lol. I'm guessing hand to hand will stun people fast, but I don't know.

twilo99

Stealth looks like a good time but I’ve got zero points in the department so far :/

Chukhopops

Stealth looks like a good time but I’ve got zero points in the department so far :/
It’s a pain in the ass to level up as you get spotted really easily at low levels, only way I found is to go to random planets and punch peaceful herbivores in the ass.

The only worse skill to level up is pickpocket (but once you have it it’s straight up broken).

Also you absolutely need the wallhack power (Sense star stuff) if you go this route.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It’s a pain in the ass to level up as you get spotted really easily at low levels, only way I found is to go to random planets and punch peaceful herbivores in the ass.

The only worse skill to level up is pickpocket (but once you have it it’s straight up broken).

Also you absolutely need the wallhack power (Sense star stuff) if you go this route.
I'm max stealth, max pickpocket, and spam sense star stuff constantly. It's a blast. Adding Phase Time just makes you superhuman.

TrueGrime

Uninstalled after around 130ish hours. Game crashing on save after resting for 24 hours after the update. What a waste of fucking time on this POS.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Something weird just happened to me in the game. I was stealing a ship when all of a sudden it took off into space, now in the past when ships took off, I would simply fall off, but I guess it took off while I was getting inside and next thing you know, I look out the window and I'm in space, but even more interesting
The ship was attacked by a Starborn Guardian ship
then at the end I got ONE SHOTTED even though my armor and level were leagues ahead of these spacers.

"Slight spoiler because of certain ship appearance"

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Starting new game +4.

Wish I wasnt spoiled on this one but the self-duplicate thing was still amusing. Its my 2nd gimmick universe. Just came from one where all of Constellation had retired except Noel.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

Just had a weird moment in New Atlantis, when I saw what looked like a guy jumping down from a ledge down tp the walkway, and he didnt look like any of the NPCs around. Ran up to him as he was walking on, and hes some kind of Hunter character, with a dope looking dark souls suit on. All tarnished and black/grey. He had some things to say, and then walked on saying that we will probably run into each other again, on one of the settled planets. It was right outside the elevator going down to the well, Ive ran past the area many many times and never seen this guy.

eudu4uuv.png

Last edited:
Just had a weird moment in New Atlantis, when I saw what looked like a guy jumping down from a ledge down tp the walkway, and he didnt look like any of the NPCs around. Ran up to him as he was walking on, and hes some kind of Hunter character, with a dope looking dark souls suit on. All tarnished and black/grey. He had some things to say, and then walked on saying that we will probably run into each other again, on one of the settled planets. It was right outside the elevator going down to the well, Ive ran past the area many many times and never seen this guy.
He is usually at the bar in space port (probably got him on his way there). He will show up again after this convo at another bar
cowboy planet

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

eudu4uuv.png
Never had this happen in close to 500 hrs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol

This is so impossibly buggy I can't believe it.
Joseph is known for breaking games but this is insane

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Lol

This is so impossibly buggy I can't believe it.
Joseph is known for breaking games but this is insane

Lol, I don't know if you saw my video, but what he did at the beginning, I got a better one, I somehow managed to board inside while it was taking off and ended up in space and even attacked, it was wild, I think the ship was blown up because I just died out of nowhere, no way these level 5 spacers killed me at level 170 with tanky armor.

JackMcGunns

Guys, this was my favorite Starfield moment of the game.

I refused to take sides and ended fighting both guardians at once, the battle was pretty epic and by far my favorite part of the main campaign. I think fighting both of them made it unique, I haven't tried siding with one of them even on NG+, so let me know if this was different for you, or how much different it is if you chose one. I got to loot both of them for some Legendary items, so I rather fight both again.

Last edited:

foamdino

Just finished at 70 hours. I started off thinking this was a decent 7/10, but after playing through Cyberpunk, Starfield is stretching to get a 6/10 (for me, I know others love it).

Pros:
Some of the areas are nice - loved the nasa facility.

Cons:
Everything.. writing is terrible, quest designs are bland (many are just run here and talk to some npc with few actual options), build options are shit - it's set up for guns and only guns, melee is an afterthought and unarmed isn't even that!

Completed it entirely melee/unarmed. Glad I've completed it to tick it off my backlog, but it won't stay with me like great games do. There's no chance of me restarting for another playthrough.

Orbital2060

Ive finally had the time to play this for longer sessions due to busy schedules, and getting into space combat a lot more. There are lot of systems you have to get used to and it can feel overwhelming / confusing to make it all work together. I used to get shot to pieces by random space encounters but leaning into the combat and learning some skills for targetting and weapons make the whole thing a lot easier and funner. Im fucking loving this game, but it took a few dozen hours to make it all comw together.

Im 4 days + gametime now, around 70 sidequests done. And only 2 main quests, Ive still got Sam Coe waiting at the lodge to carry on with campaign. But Ive focussed on doing everything but that, and completed the UCSysdef faction so far and only just started working for freestar rangers, and ryujin respectively. Plus the UC faction in New Atlantis.

Yesterday I figured why not start going from left to right on the starmap and start working methodically through the star system. And spent the whole damn day and night on the systems around Alpha Centauri scanning biomes and searching starstations and picking up random quests from bounty hunters or settlers that I came across on the maps. Its wild how much stuff there is to do in the game. You can literally set off in one direction, with plans to get somewhere for a quest, and then 10 hours later youve been on the wildest ride doing something completely different.

I think the whole star map system could have been designed for easier reading and interface - ie its made for mouse and keyboard and sucks to navigate on a controller. This is a problem with a few developers - Bethesda and ProjektRed, as I have the exact same issue with Cyberpunk and the UI and inputs there.

But overall Starfield has grown on me to be the best game of the year, slightly above or next to Armored Core. I love playing these two games together, they have some overlapping themes in mechas and interplanetary warfare and all that.

Some kind of vehicle to make transport a bit easier when exploring would be nice. Esp when exploring planets with a high GRAV factor where the boost pack doesnt really help. Otherwise Ive had a lot of fun with a maxed out booster - on planets with gravity at < .30 you can just take off running and fly away and not touch ground until youre at your destination.

Top Bottom