• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Constellation Edition will ship only with Digital Code. Base release has disk.

StereoVsn

lol...I hear ya my man. As for me.....I bought Star Citizen too....

Matthew Broderick GIF
Oh, I pledged to that Kickstarter as well... and bumped up to next level ship. That must have been a decade ago and $60 I will never get back 😔. All I wanted was cool new Privateer or Wing Commander.

93xfan

Banned
The future is digital, with no way to trade, give away or sell your games. And they are not really yours either.
So far MS has done the best job of the 3 at preserving your digital library.

I can still okay so many great classics like SSX3, Beyond Good and Evil HD, Lost Odyssey, Dead Space 1-3, Sonic Generations and Adventure, Soul Calibur 1 and 2, Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 3, Grabd Theft Auto 4, Ninja Gaiden Black, Red Dead Redemption, Sonic 3, etc.

So long as they stay true to this, I’m good.

MarkMe2525

I just can't wrap my head around how they attempt to justify not shipping a game on multiple discs. This applies to both Sony and MS, but I believe MS has not even allowed the use of 100Gb blu-rays, even though the Series X has the capability to read them. Sony at least does that. There are few exceptions where it should be ok not to ship a complete version of the game on a disc or discs.

Edit: I see that as always, people were quick to run with a headline before vetting a story. Even though this turned out to be a false alarm, my point still stands.

Last edited:

Toons

Tbf we haven't truly owned games in like a decade not any big ones that run of active service. Certain portions of the game are always able to be made unplayable or removed.

But yeah this was bound to happen but its not exactly optimal.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Stop buying plastic that ends up in our oceans. We don't need more plastic. What a fucking waste of resources.
First off, game discs don't end up in the ocean, like what the fuck dude.
Second, no matter what you do even if we stop using plastic full stop it's not gonna make a difference because we handle our plastics correctly anyway and it will still be happening in the countries that are actually causing it.
The problem isn't the plastic, it's the people.

Last edited:

EDMIX

FALSE ALARM, only the special mega edition with the watch n shit will have no disc.

the normal version will have a disc

Respect.

Pre-order....retained lol

Are they also referring to the PC version regarding this? That is the one I have pre-ordered with Best Buy

edit. I also agree with your comment on UHDs completely!

Last edited:

taizuke

This game can't catch a break. First Spencer throws the team under the bus, the Xbox showcase actually makes the game look good, and now the standard physical copy isn't going to have the disc...

This should not be allowed. What part of physical copy do they not understand? I hope there's enough backlash so they're forced to put the disc in.

Edit - Okay, I now see the standard edition will have the disc. It's just the mega collector's edition that won't. It's still shitty that it won't include it, especially when those are so expensive.

Last edited:

pasterpl

big nothing burger. I cannot remember when was the last time I bought physical version of the game, but I live in the UK where 90% of games are being purchased as digital version.

rofif

Banned
Good.

Digital is the future. Physical games have felt archaic for two generations now (especially Xbox and PS games).

I feel like many complaining here have no problem buying games on steam. And plan on buying starfield on steam rather than Xbox, lmao.
Wishing to be fucked over eh?
That’s crazy.

rofif

Banned
Putting stuff in your recycling bin doesn't mean it doesn't end up in the ocean or landfill.

Physical media is a complete waste of material and should be banned completely. We have too much plastic so if we can reduce usage then we should. The less trees we need to cut down the better. There is no point in physical games anymore so that's one thing we should get rid of ASAP.
That’s the most moot point.
Games never make it to garbage dumps. Landfills and streets are not full of ps5 game boxes. This stuff never gets thrown away.
And servers and more downloads are not free out of thin air either. It uses more server hardware and infrastructure

Sleepwalker

Seems even worse to me that you arent inclided a disc (that is already printed) into your $300+ edition of the game lol

Yes I know others do it too, its also stupid.

The only reasons I care about discs on consoles is (a) because it allows me to buy the game cheaper at launch than the digital version direct from the console's store front; and (b) it gives me something of value to sell on a later date or to include with the console when I sell it. The download sizes are not an issue as I have a 1 Tbps unlimted fibre connection.

On PC, I frequently buy new games from the likes of CDKeys at much lower prices than Steam et al and rarely pay full price for games. This means that I buy a lot of games because they are so cheap. On consoles, that wouldn't be an option and I would be locked into paying £60 or £70 for new releases that have no resell value. Yes, Sony and Xbox do have sales but they are not discounted anywhere near as much as PC games and new releases will always be full price.

And, yes, Microsoft are going to (and do) ship codes inside a box so technically it will still be possible to pick up their games cheaper from a third-party store such as Amazon or GAME. That is fine but the box itself then becomes useless plastic waste and you cannot sell that on later.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Tbf we haven't truly owned games in like a decade not any big ones that run of active service. Certain portions of the game are always able to be made unplayable or removed.

But yeah this was bound to happen but its not exactly optimal.
We haven't? I almost exclusively play single player games that require zero online connectivity. I'm owning TOTK just fine.

PaintTinJr

Let's have a coupe of folk play Skyrim PS3's version 1.0 for a few hours and see how that experience holds up.
Does the latest PS3 OS catch some of those bugs, now? I'm pretty sure a class A bug that can be caught and mitigated in firmware, including memory leaks which can be a source of recursive performance degradation - which I suspect was skyrim's issue - so you'd need to test a Skyrim version 1.0 with a PS3 OS 4.9 to see if the problems are all still there, either way it is still a means of documenting how rough and ready Bethesda software was on consoles back then.

SmokedMeat

Gamerâ„¢
Physical is going away. If anything they’ll start releasing limited copies at higher prices to sell to the collectors.

Fools idol

Banned
Physical is going away. If anything they’ll start releasing limited copies at higher prices to sell to the collectors.

the numbers say otherwise. Digital growth is rapidly growing larger than physical, and in some regions physical is all but dead already. Markets will follow the money sadly.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It won't be long until we see Gamepass exclusive games. A massive AAA first party title that'll only be playable with a Gamepass sub.

It's coming. Just a matter of when.

alienator

So the 300$ collectors edition comes with a steel book, but not a disc.

They really couldnt be bothered to press a disc for US$2.00 in a factory but do give u a steelcase for it to place the the digital code in.

Ribi

So the 300$ collectors edition comes with a steel book, but not a disc.

They really couldnt be bothered to press a disc for US$2.00 in a factory but do give u a steelcase for it to place the the digital code in.

Same company that gave us a shitty canvas bag for fo76. Or did y'all forget?

Or how about the plastic nukacola?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't care about physical since I've been all digital for like 5 years but this is ridiculous, why isn't it $50 or $60 then, like Alan Wake 2?

To compensate for inflation. How many surviving AAA studios out there? And how many AAA games per year?

But what's happening here is a complete joke.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I can see this being true as they're doing this same shit with Spider-Man 2. I still think it's a ploy to force collectors and physical gamers to double dip. This way you end up spending nearly $300 for both a physical copy and a collectors edition. It's scummy af imo

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I can see this being true as they're doing this same shit with Spider-Man 2. I still think it's a ploy to force collectors and physical gamers to double dip. This way you end up spending nearly $300 for both a physical copy and a collectors edition. It's scummy af imo
Why would you buy a physical copy if you own it digitally?

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Because a collector's purpose of collecting is to own something physically...? Was that a real question?

Yeah, I don't really get it, it was a genuine question though. People do collect digital things though and are still collectors.

I don't really understand what the collecting part is about in this instance. The special limited edition box is the important bit, and it comes with a code on a special limited edition thing. That in itself is more rare and surely more exciting as a result? Do you need a disc to not play and put on the shelf too? Where does it go? In the limited edition box, where everyone knows it's not part of the kit? Or next to it? Might as well just buy a copy in 5 years time for a fifth the price. You could collect 5 copies for the same investment.

Last edited:

Bond007

Love how many people love the loss of ownership. Its almost like losing your rights and seeing them erode as years go on.
So much excitement to no longer share, OWN, trade, zero ability to hold onto something for the future, etc. all for the sake of convenience.

To me this is sad. But to each their own I guess.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Physical order cancelled, because I will no longer be able to use it to get a cheap digital code :messenger_grinning: sure they'll be enough cheap codes floating around as XB is usually pretty good in that respect.

xrnzaaas

Just go with the standard edition. Given how crappy Bethesda's past CE's were I wouldn't be too optimistic about this one, especially since they are including a working watch and that's much easier to mess up than a themed bag.

LRKD

Putting stuff in your recycling bin doesn't mean it doesn't end up in the ocean or landfill.

Physical media is a complete waste of material and should be banned completely. We have too much plastic so if we can reduce usage then we should. The less trees we need to cut down the better. There is no point in physical games anymore so that's one thing we should get rid of ASAP.
There are far bigger battles for you to fight for environmentalism before fighting the video games. Like every single food item being plastic wrapped... multiple times. You buy a bag of cookies, and in that bag every cookie is individually wrapped. You buy a gallon of milk, in a plastic jug. You buy meat wrapped in plastic. EVERY food item is covered in plastic, how about you go fight the food industry first, and then come back to fight the video games m'kay.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There are far bigger battles for you to fight for environmentalism before fighting the video games. Like every single food item being plastic wrapped... multiple times. You buy a bag of cookies, and in that bag every cookie is individually wrapped. You buy a gallon of milk, in a plastic jug. You buy meat wrapped in plastic. EVERY food item is covered in plastic, how about you go fight the food industry first, and then come back to fight the video games m'kay.
How Dare You Greta GIF

Top Bottom