• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds |OT| Seeking Them Out

jason10mm

Gold Member
I definitely will be skipping this episode....

Damn, it does look like they are gonna fridge La'an at some point as motivation for Kirk. He certainly had plenty of exes in TOS but this feels like they are building to something more, maybe a stand-in for Carol Marcus?

But for God's sake stop giving these men sons just to kill them. I think Sisko was the only one to have a son survive (maybe Wesley if we count him, it seems like he is dead in Picard s3, did he f off and join Q or something?)

I think Sisko was the only one to have a son survive (maybe Wesley if we count him, it seems like he is dead in Picard s3, did he f off and join Q or something?)
If I recall correctly, Wesley basically ascended and became a sort god-like lite. Basically he became a Traveler or whatever.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Damn, it does look like they are gonna fridge La'an at some point as motivation for Kirk. He certainly had plenty of exes in TOS but this feels like they are building to something more, maybe a stand-in for Carol Marcus?

But for God's sake stop giving these men sons just to kill them. I think Sisko was the only one to have a son survive (maybe Wesley if we count him, it seems like he is dead in Picard s3, did he f off and join Q or something?)

Wesley came back at the end of Picard Season 2. He's a Traveler and a Time Keeper like Gary 7.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Wesley came back at the end of Picard Season 2. He's a Traveler and a Time Keeper like Gary 7.

MMaRsu

Banned
God I abhor Carol Kane in this show. Not sure why they thought they needed more humor. Also she's not even funny

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah the granny engineer is just awful. What happened did someone find out there was a straight white male under all the Andorian makeup or something?
That actor is supposedly blind in real life so no need to compensate for him.

It's all the James TIBERIUS Kirk musk they are trying to cover up. Three straight white dudes on a show all getting busy requires a LOT of compensation.

God I abhor Carol Kane in this show. Not sure why they thought they needed more humor. Also she's not even funny

Yeah the granny engineer is just awful. What happened did someone find out there was a straight white male under all the Andorian makeup or something?
Hemmer, the blind Andorian, was my absolute favorite character on the show and they just killed them off. That doesn't bode well for future episodes for me.

I didn't expect that to happen and it annoyed me. They should have killed Ortegas or that mousy transporter chief or something.
They're definitely not going to kill off the non-binary character or lesbian or whatever she is. She's Star Trek's Vasquez.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just watched the human Spock episode and “NuTrek” would try to make Nurse Chapel a lesbian in 2023, but this is 100% Majel’s Chapel who was always in love with Spock.
They dropped a hint that chapel is bi (because of course, why not) but otherwise yeah, they seem to be playing her straight.

I think they are finally realizing that if you are gonna have a romance/relationship heavy show AND try to win back the family viewers that dropped STD like a...well, STD, just stick to the basics. The ep where Pike realized he did love hottie Mclawyer was great, spock as the tortured repressed lover is a pure middle aged housewife panty dropper, and la'an/Kirk (la'irk, kir'an?) pulling her out of her shell is good as well.

I'm sure we will get ortegas LGBTQRS relationship eventually, or maybe they will surprise us and she is into blobs like the doc from Orville. Una I'm sure will cross over as well, they just can't help themselves from all that relationship drama instead of, I dunno, more strange new worlds?

ManaByte

Gold Member
They dropped a hint that chapel is bi (because of course, why not) but otherwise yeah, they seem to be playing her straight.

I think they are finally realizing that if you are gonna have a romance/relationship heavy show AND try to win back the family viewers that dropped STD like a...well, STD, just stick to the basics. The ep where Pike realized he did love hottie Mclawyer was great, spock as the tortured repressed lover is a pure middle aged housewife panty dropper, and la'an/Kirk (la'irk, kir'an?) pulling her out of her shell is good as well.

I'm sure we will get ortegas LGBTQRS relationship eventually, or maybe they will surprise us and she is into blobs like the doc from Orville. Una I'm sure will cross over as well, they just can't help themselves from all that relationship drama instead of, I dunno, more strange new worlds?
They’re already being deservedly blasted for the Khan canon change (the Eugenics wars were in the 90s, WW3 was happening right now) so changing Chapel and Spock which is something people remember from TOS would’ve driven way too many people off.

Ownage

The crossover ep was fun but shows that some humor is better in animation. Mariner, in particular, has a hyper quality that doesn't translate well.

Why was this dropped now? Is there a big star trek con this weekend?

And I'm of the opinion you should only have 1 "sweeps week" gimmicky ep per season, especially these short ones. An animated ep AND a musical one? Heresy!! :p
I'd get with Mariner. She'd be fun.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'd get with Mariner. She'd be fun.
You got lady parts?

'Sides, everyone knows it's the Orion chick that's the freak betwixt the sheets :p

I'd take the voice actress as well

f3zsScO.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is who does the voice of the green girl?

nice wow wow wee wow GIF
Yeah, they seem to be animating folks pretty close to their real appearance in many casts, musta been planning a live action crossover from the get go.

Or that is just the new thing in animation, the voice actor must represent the animated character as much as humanly possible?

I think these days even voice actors gotta be good looking since they can get so much on screen visibility through ancillary projects and PR, my "face for radio" looks have no where to flourish :p

This week seemed like a pretty good episode? Kind of AR-558-ish, I've got no major complaints.... Maybe just let me know if I was in an out-of-character good mood or if this was actually pretty decent.

What did you think?
It's kind of traditional Star Trek with the whole trial and talking about persecution.

So far I think the series is okay. It's not great and it's not awful. I really enjoy more the mystery episodes like I have with the original Star Trek and the '90s spinoffs and Enterprise. I like when they encounter something weird and have to figure out what to do. This show seems to lack that somewhat which is a bit disappointing. Probably my two favorite episodes from season 1 are the ones about the Gorn.

Last edited:
Carol Kane is playing Carol Kane. I remember other movies where she has a sort of goofy Slavic accent.

Female to male ratio is interesting. The only two male characters I can think about are Pike and Spock. Hemmer is gone and replaced by another woman.

The woman Enterprise.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Carol Kane is playing Carol Kane. I remember other movies where she has a sort of goofy Slavic accent.

Female to male ratio is interesting. The only two male characters I can think about are Pike and Spock. Hemmer is gone and replaced by another woman.

The woman Enterprise.

M'Benga is there also... Chief medical officer.

Just saw episode 8. WOW! That was an intense episode!

Salz01

Debating about getting Episode 1 of Season 1 on iTunes, just to try it out. I miss old trek and the movies.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It seemed weird to murder a guy and just brush it off. I really like the doctor, but I think a better outcome is not revenge, but forgiveness. That is how people grow.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It seemed weird to murder a guy and just brush it off. I really like the doctor, but I think a better outcome is not revenge, but forgiveness. That is how people grow.

He has untreated PTSD... He's unable to forgive at this point. Remember, there's more of a focus on mental health during TNG, not so much in the TOS/Pre-TOS era.

Plus, this episode is VERY DS9 inspired.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
He has untreated PTSD... He's unable to forgive at this point. Remember, there's more of a focus on mental health during TNG, not so much in the TOS/Pre-TOS era.

Plus, this episode is VERY DS9 inspired.
No disagreement. I just look at my dad who was a nurse in Vietnam and how he handles that in contrast to how other people do and see what forgiveness brings as opposed to the trauma.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That was a pretty good ep, I guess that war moon could could as a strange new world. I'm getting fatigue with so many eps dealing with character pasts rather than seeing them now moving forward. Still, this was a cool premise, even if the end was kinda out of nowhere.

It does kinda bug me that we can have actors who have never served portray military folks, PTSD, etc and it's all "ACTING!!!" but God forbid we have non-lgbtq++/ethnic/non white cultures "act" outside of their lived experiences. It's down right insulting to see a show get away with sloppy military jargon (like saying F-O-B instead of 'fob" as in 'key fob') instead of hiring ACTUAL vets, of which there are MILLIONS, and letting them portray their own culture themselves. Getting real world military experienced folks on board is real easy nowadays and it should be the standard.

Still, the M'benga actor has a martial arts background and at least he gets to show that off. Can't believe that resolution though, Una gets a whole trial episode and he gets a "well, there MIGHT be an inquiry....". I feel like the Ambassador had some really good points about cooperation, I wish there was more discussion about that part, even if the basis for it would be fraudulent. Stolen Valor, of a sort, is a thing and worthy of an entire ep itself. Same with the idea of "banking" the mortally wounded in the transporter system. JFC, that tech would be sooooooo useful if you could just carry around a hard drive loaded with a spec-ops team or whatever.

Seeing the oddball Howard brother was nice though :p

I read somewhere that maybe Captain Archer or another Enterprise crew member will show up.

Supposedly Pike idolizes Archer.

That would be cool since I'm one of the few people that actually really likes Enterprise. Archer is probably one of my favorite captains.

Last edited:

Forsythia

I read somewhere that maybe Captain Archer or another Enterprise crew member will show up.

Supposedly Pike idolizes Archer.

That would be cool since I'm one of the few people that actually really likes Enterprise. Archer is probably one of my favorite captains.
Now that would be amazing. Enterprise needs more recognition damnit!

Melon Husk

Had a look at season 2 and... I don't actively despise it? The show quality is about the same as The Orville now, or some of the mediocre TOS episodes. The dialogue can be still sloppy but the writing has gotten better. Episodes 1 & 2 were especially weak but after that it's been fine.

Noodle arm Kirk (Slim Jim) is fun. Good casting choice.

I still think it's insane that it took 4 seasons of Discovery, 3 seasons of Picard, and 1 season of Strange New Worlds before arriving at something halfway decent. (Different writers I know, but still, what a waste.)

I'll keep watching this show and of course Lower Decks which has always been great.

All caught up. Great show. The human Spock episode was pretty damn funny. One of the best.

Absolutely. It felt like a classic Star Trek episode. It had a basic, strong emotional core and those aliens and their set was very much in the 1960s psychedelic style.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I still think it's insane that it took 4 seasons of Discovery, 3 seasons of Picard, and 1 season of Strange New Worlds before arriving at something halfway decent. (Different writers I know, but still, what a waste.)
Agreed, I'm curious how SNW is doing viewers wise compared to STD and Picard. Paramount should have really good data on how many folks punch out, watch all the way through, or only watch 1 series but not the others. I wonder if there was an exec voice always wanting a SNW style show that is now in charge or if Kurtzman/Goldsman think there should be more STD type stuff and everything is fine (guess we'll see what the tone of the Academy show is).

So I finally finished season 1 and season 2.

My final verdict as of now is the show is just okay. It really does not feel like Star Trek to me and the legacy characters are very unconvincing. I'm sorry but Nurse Chapel and Captain Kirk do not seem like the same characters from the original series. It feels like a completely different reality. Maybe they want to reboot the original and pretty much retcon the original series with a new Captain Kirk series. I don't know but that's what it feels like to me almost.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Agreed, I'm curious how SNW is doing viewers wise compared to STD and Picard. Paramount should have really good data on how many folks punch out, watch all the way through, or only watch 1 series but not the others. I wonder if there was an exec voice always wanting a SNW style show that is now in charge or if Kurtzman/Goldsman think there should be more STD type stuff and everything is fine (guess we'll see what the tone of the Academy show is).
STD was cancelled. Season 5 wasn’t the ending. Frakes was directing the season finale and said one of the producers had to do reshoots to change the ending to make it the series finale. They saw how people liked Picard S3 and SNW and killed STD.

Drizzlehell

Banned
STD was cancelled. Season 5 wasn’t the ending. Frakes was directing the season finale and said one of the producers had to do reshoots to change the ending to make it the series finale. They saw how people liked Picard S3 and SNW and killed STD.
I stopped watching STD after the first season so I have no clue as to what was happening with this show or behind the scenes, but if this is what happened then I'm damn pleased to hear it. Now I hope that they will continue on this path and stop giving creative freedom to hack frauds like Kurtzman.

Also, has the second season of SNW finished its initial runtime already? I wanna jump back into the show but only when the full season is available so that I could just binge the whole thing.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Also, has the second season of SNW finished its initial runtime already? I wanna jump back into the show but only when the full season is available so that I could just binge the whole ththing.i
I think ep9 dropped today.

I think I liked s1 better. S2 is faaaar too character focused with almost no exploration or even sci-fi concepts. Plus almost no Pike, so it all feels unfocused. A viewer new to trek and only watching s2 could be forgiven if he thinks Pike is the ships cook. Very Spock/Chapel oriented if anything.

I'm curious how many female viewers the show has and if the relationship heavy narrative is paying off for that demographic. I'm also curious if this crew of predominately 30-40 yo women will EVER tackle the "what if we want to have kids?" question, though the Enterprise does have more of a "cruise ship in spaaaaace" feel to it (like the -D in TNG) than the OG 1701 so I guess we'll see kids running around at some point.

Anyway, I just hope the writers feel they have sufficiently backstoried everyone by s3 so we can have more forward leaning eps.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Ep 9 was fun! The actress who plays Uhura is the only one I know of who can actually sing because most of the actors didn't seem like it was their real voices except for Spock. The reason for the singing was keeping in line with any "malfunction" Trek has. I liked it. Not the best but it was enjoyable.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I have the latest episode ready to watch but I really don't want to.

Singing, FFS.

One finger is going to be on the fast forward button throughout.

Edit:

After 11 mins, nope, fuck that shit. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be taken to the nearest airlock and spaced.

Last edited:
The musical episode is terrible. The 'sci-fi' of it is of course ridiculous, which isn't the end of the world in and of itself, but then it fails on the most important part of the songs needing to actually be good.

Also, has the second season of SNW finished its initial runtime already? I wanna jump back into the show but only when the full season is available so that I could just binge the whole thing.
There's one more episode coming up August 10th titled Hegemony. Going by the title I bet you it's going to be about the Gorn.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
There's one more episode coming up August 10th titled Hegemony. Going by the title I bet you it's going to be about the Gorn.
Well, they teased it as a possible MASSIVE INVASION in s1, then promptly dropped it as even a worry until now. While I appreciate a more episodic show, they could have been laying more groundwork, I think.

Top Bottom