• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Picard S2 Premieres March 3, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike's show) Premieres May 5th

zeorhymer

What does TrekGAF make of The Orville? The humor aspect turned me off from checking it out but it sounds like S2 has dropped a lot of it.
First season was too comedy for me. I was pleasantly surprised on 2nd season on how it's more of STG than current Trek.

Pegasus Actual Pegasus Actual

6502 6502

Is there a stark difference in tone, or amount of humor, between S1 and S2?
The tone is a bit all over the place. The stuff strange headache strange headache says about relationship drama is very true. There's also an attempt at kind of a cliffhanger or 3-parter or whatever which is just okay, it felt a bit more Doctor Who to me than TNG.

It's not like it's amazing television, but if you miss TNG it's about all you have for 'new' content. It's definitely worth watching for me, as you can tell by how much NuTrek I'm watching though, clearly I don't actually value my time.

Pegasus Actual Pegasus Actual

6502 6502

Is there a stark difference in tone, or amount of humor, between S1 and S2?
The humour is more based on the character's interactions and low key (which makes sense as you get to know them there is more room for this), it ends up as perhaps a few sentences or a smart remark an episode (such as something going wrong and a crew member says "we aren't getting off duty by 5 are we?"). Personally I thought season two was better than season 1. Opinions!

Indisputable Fact: Its better than watching any tv trek since discovery. I'd rather have another 5 seasons of Orville than any have any new star trek commissioned no matter what they promised.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Can anyone explain what this is? I noticed the AI Cortana type character in Halo Infinite had this personality and it didn't make sense there either. Why does a 45 year old Starship captain talk like this...

"Hiiiii..."

I mean what is to explain? They are trying to capture the youtube audience that enjoys "smarmy/awkwardness" and see it as a cute trait. All these shows are written to capture low hanging fruit audiences.

CGiRanger

Banned
I mean what is to explain? They are trying to capture the youtube audience that enjoys "smarmy/awkwardness" and see it as a cute trait. All these shows are written to capture low hanging fruit audiences.
Is every show written like this now? The dialogue and conversations in these are absolutely insufferable now. I guess this is targeting the TikTok generation whose attentions spans are smaller than an ant?

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Is every show written like this now? The dialogue and conversations in these are absolutely insufferable now. I guess this is targeting the TikTok generation whose attentions spans are smaller than an ant?
Honestly? Yeah, a good 80%+ of shows I see have adopted this type of character dialogue writing. It was cute the first 10 times, now its just grating.

Since I can only process things in terms of 1999 and before, that part of the trailer reminded me of:

the 90s GIF by absurdnoise

CGiRanger

Banned
Honestly? Yeah, a good 80%+ of shows I see have adopted this type of character dialogue writing. It was cute the first 10 times, now its just grating.
To me this feels like a more degenerative "Joss Whedon-ish" approach to dialogue. It sucks to think that the current crop of writers are those that probably grew up with that style initially and then saw it "validated" in the Marvel films. But don't have any talent to come close to it.

Oberstein

KZ7fOUA.jpg

Great... the return of the old fart.

Go take a look at the Twitter accounts of each of them, you'll quickly understand our misery for season 3.
The good old TNG days when a writer was a writer and an actor was an actor.

And... oh God, Marina Sirtis again.... Why? Hasn't the Star Trek fan suffered enough already?

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
In less than 1000 years in our real future everyone is going to be mixed race (I've done my part). That's how we can already laugh at hardcore racists and their DNA tests owning them. Also I did say women as well.

R-C.ed7400302b63b4442d04b5b2069cbcd4
That's the optimistic, perhaps even utopian take that Star Trek likes to take.

I reckon we'll have committed a fair few genocides by then, and perhaps even filled orbit with so much junk that Kessler Syndrome will have taken affect.

It's our responsibility to edge us away from either of those and we should keep that, but we're all going to be long, long, long dead by then.

Forsythia

KZ7fOUA.jpg

Great... the return of the old fart.

Go take a look at the Twitter accounts of each of them, you'll quickly understand our misery for season 3.
The good old TNG days when a writer was a writer and an actor was an actor.

And... oh God, Marina Sirtis again.... Why? Hasn't the Star Trek fan suffered enough already?

I wonder which Klingon look they'll use for Worf.

Boss Mog

I kind of liked Picard S1, but I fear I was the only one! Looking forward to S2 to see where they take it.
I went into S1 with the lowest of expectations and so I was kinda pleasantly surprised overall. However I won't be watching S2 because it takes place in modern day and pushes Marxist propaganda; specifically anti-ICE in the clip I saw.

CGiRanger

Banned
I went into S1 with the lowest of expectations and so I was kinda pleasantly surprised overall. However I won't be watching S2 because it takes place in modern day and pushes Marxist propaganda; specifically anti-ICE in the clip I saw.
And again there's no subtlety whatsoever in the storytelling. It basically all amounts to "THIS THING BAD!" but presents no solvable issues. And you've got characters who resemble nothing like they once were at all (Picard/Seven) acting like idiots, and the rest of the worthless cast being useless.

Seriously the Rafi and Seven duo might be the worst duo in Star Trek, like it makes Tom and Harry from Voyager look amazing by comparison.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
And again there's no subtlety whatsoever in the storytelling. It basically all amounts to "THIS THING BAD!" but presents no solvable issues. And you've got characters who resemble nothing like they once were at all (Picard/Seven) acting like idiots, and the rest of the worthless cast being useless.

Seriously the Rafi and Seven duo might be the worst duo in Star Trek, like it makes Tom and Harry from Voyager look amazing by comparison.
I like Tom and Harry. They're no Obrien and Bashir, but they work well enough

ItsGreat

I think you need to sit down and read Marx's Communist Manifesto.

Last edited:

Oberstein

Why do they still call it Star Trek?

They took characters and completely forgot their background. Seven is a random milf, Picard doesn't even play anymore, he's just Patrick Stewart reading lines with 7 seasons forgotten about his character, and I don't even talk about the new ones...
Who cares about Elnor? Who cares about the murderous blond girl (who should be in a high security starbase at the end of season 1) or Raffi who is the most unstable Starfleet officer in the Alpha quadrant?

This episode is barely worthy of being a parody of Ocean's Eleven or Twelve. I wish I had hope for Strange New Worlds, but I don't unfortunately.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Man, I'm digging Lower Decks. Much like Orville, it has all the bones of great trek, just with a slapstick poppy humor covering. The show runner brings a lot of the science smarts from Rick and Morty and unlike what I saw of Discovery, it has characters act consistent with their internal logic and a "Federation brings the best" mantra. Mariner might be TOO good as she almost effortlessly overcomes any obstacle but the stuff around her is just fantastic and offsets her Uber competence with just the right amount of workplace drudgery.

I wish the language was reeled back a bit as this otherwise could be a pretty good show to watch with the kids around. Sure it is beeped out but my kids know what they are not saying :p

It's so nice to see full on TNG aesthetic with the ships and uniforms as well.

Almost tempted to try the real kids Trek show but that CGI looks super dodgy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Man, I'm digging Lower Decks. Much like Orville, it has all the bones of great trek, just with a slapstick poppy humor covering. The show runner brings a lot of the science smarts from Rick and Morty and unlike what I saw of Discovery, it has characters act consistent with their internal logic and a "Federation brings the best" mantra. Mariner might be TOO good as she almost effortlessly overcomes any obstacle but the stuff around her is just fantastic and offsets her Uber competence with just the right amount of workplace drudgery.

I wish the language was reeled back a bit as this otherwise could be a pretty good show to watch with the kids around. Sure it is beeped out but my kids know what they are not saying :p

It's so nice to see full on TNG aesthetic with the ships and uniforms as well.
Lower Decks is the only new Trek show I've enjoyed. Thankfully, my kids are much older and they're far beyond the age where I give a shit if they swear or not.

But anyone that dismisses this as a "kid's show" is doing themselves a disservice.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Lower Decks is the only new Trek show I've enjoyed. Thankfully, my kids are much older and they're far beyond the age where I give a shit if they swear or not.

But anyone that dismisses this as a "kid's show" is doing themselves a disservice.
Very true, it dips into the horror aspect R&M did so well and sets up some really great character moments. Plus you gotta know a LOT of trek to get all the jokes plus a good bit of office cubicle life for the dilbert level jokes.

And is the cat doctor a Kzinti? I know they are in the SFB games but I'm not sure what level of Canon that stuff is these days.

Nevermind, just got to the ep where they are called caitains.

Picard you're now a robot w/ a built-in expiration timer. Also Picard everything else you got going on is exactly the same as being a human so taking you to a 21st century doctor is totally the play.

Doctor: Okay I'm going to fuck off and try not to neglect my kid.
Intrepid Picard Crew 2 Seconds Later: Can we see Picard?!?

No guys, she's gonna lock the door to Picard's room and you're not allowed to look at the guy until her kid goes back to sleep.

Nico_D

Oh god, the writing took a deep dive in episode 6. There were some signs of it happening in the previous episode but this was awkward and embarassing to watch.

Besides the dialogue between the Picards - and let's be honest, most of the episode - was childish and easy. "Oh, Alison can sing? Let's give her a scene which makes absolutely no sense."

Soong doesn't have passwords on her computer?

The Watcher has a magical thingamabob which let's her dive into subconscious?

Where is Q and what is he doing?

Was that the spectacular heist they were planning?

Well, at least Anne Wersching is having fun.

ManaByte

The 21st century Soong was a failed human cloner.

The 22nd century Soong helped make Khan super soldiers, and thus was indirectly responsible for the TOS Klingons.

The 24 century Soong made androids.

ItsGreat

The 90s actors seemed to have a lot more respect for their roles. Working (and falling out) with the writers.
Growing their characters themselves, making them their own. Bringing a little homework to the table at the start of the working day.

These actors have zero control of what they are asked to do. Got to have zero self-respect to earn a pay packet.

Nydius

And again there's no subtlety whatsoever in the storytelling. It basically all amounts to "THIS THING BAD!" but presents no solvable issues.
Exactly. We all know Roddenberry was an idealist but very rarely did any of his projects feel preachy. There were a handful of TOS episodes that came close. With Picard the writers get in the audiences' faces and yell while swinging their ideological baseball bat wildly. Season 2 Episode 3 was practically a checklist of present day ideological talking points:

• Climate Change
  • Anti-capitalism (using homelessness as the messenger)
  • Fascism
  • LGBTQ (Seven and Raffi pretending to be a 'couple')
  • Immigration reform
  • Anti-police rhetoric
And then the very next episode Rios has one of the worst lines I've ever heard uttered in any Star Trek property: "They make you pledge allegiance? That's hard core."

Between the writers wielding ideology like a bludgeon and the general awfulness of the characters themselves, I can't be bothered to watch anymore. I suffered through Season 1 but Season 2 has set the bar even lower. I still don't really know (or care) who Raffi is in the grand scheme of things. Or why we should give a damn about Rios. Jeri Ryan isn't playing Seven of Nine, she's playing Jeri Ryan and I don't know WHO or WHAT Patrick Stewart is playing, but it ain't Picard.

Top Bottom