• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebo

Banned
It wasn't even very good, either.
In my experience most Trek fans who read it did not like it at all. Not to mention it was partially written by Bob Orci who was fired from this franchise. A forgotten tie in comic for a 7 year old film, one of endless tie in comics we get for films like these.

It's not just a tie-in comic.

It is the first half of the most emotional and (in my eyes) greatest Star Trek story of all time. I re-read the whole thing an hour before I watched XI in a theatre.

It was incredible, and I will never forget it.
You are also the only person who thinks Trek 09 is Trek XI you know. Paramount doesn't call it that.

It was a tie in comic. Not the first half of a movie. It was only written as a piece of advertisement for the actual movie.

You keep being you but you are very much alone in your strange obsession with this lol.

benjipwns

Banned
Use the same sets for the entirety of the show, just replace the LCARS displays with every passing season.
It's how they did it whenever they needed to show an older ship's interior on the 90's shows, just redress and move around an existing set, slap some old decals on it, and in the end, you've got something surprisingly believable.
It's also what they did for the last two TOS films. Those were the same sets as TNG redressed.

It's probably why TOS tech suddenly went from switches and six digit outputs to touch screens over the course of what was probably like a month in-universe. (However long Star Trek III is. The Excelsior doesn't have them, but the Enterprise-A does when they get on the bridge in IV.)

Cheebo

Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1578071/William-Shatner-never-watched-Star-Trek.html

Shatn very has never watched Trek. Your point being?

All I am saying is we waited too long, and now something I've dreamed of will never be.

Hell, they could have even done Spock Reflections.

Shatner had nothing to do with Trek 09. Abrams is the director of Trek 09 and producer. It is his film. If he doesn't care about a random tie in comic it is absurd to call it the first half of his film.

In my experience most Trek fans who read it did not like it at all. Not to mention it was partially written by Bob Orci who was fired from this franchise. A forgotten tie in comic for a 7 year old film, one of endless tie in comics we get for films like these.
It also is non-canonical. If it isn't on screen it isn't canon.

Thank god too, horrible story.

The setting taking place between TOS and TNG sounds great... But I am not all that excited about the idea of it being a seasonal anthology. I get the pros of going that route, but part of what makes TV great is that you become attached to the characters more and more as seasons go on.

butalala

You guys are arguing whether you should call Star Trek (which is the 11th Star Trek movie, released in 2009) Star Trek IX or Star Trek 09. Why.

Well, that's the thing. There's really no argument. Star Trek (2009) isn't titled Star Trek XI, so it's incorrect to call it that. That will never actually be its title. It's just called Star Trek. It's the only Star Trek film to have that title, surprisingly, so it shouldn't be confusing (and if you're worried about confusion with the series entire, you can just stick 2009 or 09 in parentheses).

Nobody calls the Next Gen films by whatever number they would have had were they actually numbered, either. Because they don't have numbers in their titles.

You guys are arguing whether you should call Star Trek (which is the 11th Star Trek movie, released in 2009) Star Trek IX or Star Trek 09. Why.

Especially because we're about to get the prime universe back (if the rumor isn't true, i suspect it's more likely than not).

Nobody cares about AbramsTrek.

teiresias

Every season ends with Riker and Troi having been watching the season on the holodeck during some TNG episode where he'd had to take command.

Every season ends with Riker and Troi having been watching the season on the holodeck during some TNG episode where he'd had to take command.

Chris_Evans_I_Understood_that_reference.gif

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

So between IV and TNG?

Please be about the lost Enterprise's i'd B so happy

TyrantII

RUMOR: The new Star Trek series will be an anthology series set in multiple time periods, with the first season set after Star Trek VI but before Next Gen

This seems like a great idea, really. Allows them a lot of freedom to try new things. Plus the return of the TOS movie outfits!

So IF it works, it sounds like they're planning on 10-20 episode mini-series.

I don't dislike the idea, but what it does confirm is everything is going to be CGI. You can't amortize the set costs across a series if you need to drastically change it up every year.

Why am I getting feeling of Blood and Chrome instead of BSG? (Entirely unacceptable, shoddy CGI set work)

I really hope they don't fuck this up.

butalala

We should at least be arguing about something interesting like who is the best Ferengi or which character had the lamest Holodeck activities.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So between IV and TNG?

Please be about the lost Enterprise's i'd B so happy

Honestly I'd rather see a series about the Enterprise C.

One of my all time favorite Star Trek episodes was called Yesterday's Enterprise, it was a TNG ep where the Enterprise C accidentally traveled through a temporary time rift while trying to save a Klingon outpost under Romulan attack, and into TNG era and encountered Picard's Enterprise D. When they vanished mid battle the Romulans succeeded and the Klingons blamed the Federation for the outpost's destruction, and thus launched a multi-decade Federation - Klingon war. The 1701C eventually went back through the rift, and even though they lost the fight the Klingon's took notice that the Feds attempted to help them, and thus the peace treaty was signed and the Klingons became allies of the Federation, like they were in TNG. It was a really good episode.

It would be kind of sweet to see a series dedicated to that ship, even knowing how the series would eventually end: with the destruction of the 1701C and her crew but for a great and honorable reason. Plus the finale would then be Yesterday's Enterprise but entirely from the 1701C's point of view. Obviously the series could address high tensions between the Federation and the Klingons building, while also dealing with the Romulans doing shady things in the background. Could make for some really interesting stories.

ambassador_beauty_s9.jpg

butalala

I watched an episode of Voyager a couple of weekends ago where The Doctor had a little holo-family that was obnoxiously perfect (like my neighbors growing up), but then he invited B'elanna to dinner and she decided to fuck with him, so all of a sudden his son is hanging out with Klingon teens (metaphor!) and his daughter gets a serious Parrises Squares injury and this made me conclude that the The Doctor has the lamest Holodeck adventures that I've ever seen.

The Resort that is on S3 of Voyager is pretty bad, too. I wonder what the hunks and babes hired to mill around in the background in shiny swimsuits thought about that work. I think the resort is Neelix's doing.

The best Holodeck adventures are the off-screen Alamo and Battle of Britain adventures of O'Brian and Bashir. Maybe one of the anthology seasons could be about that.

Pluto

post VI but before TNG? plz be sulu on the excelsior doing things exploring the galaxy.
No, thanks. Captain Sulu would be awful, an 80 year old mediocre actor is not what I want to see in a new Star Trek series.

It also doesn't help that George Takei (and Nichelle Nichols) is overestimating his importance when it comes to Star Trek and has been an obnoxious tool for decades. "Oh, Shatner did this and Shatner did that ..." who gives a shit if the star of the show didn't bend over backwards to pleas a dayplayer who was primarily there to fill a seat on the bridge.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
All Holodeck episodes are shit, so does it matter?

I really hope this new series has zero holodecks in it. I never really cared much for the eps in the holodecks, they just seemed like wasted eps to me, and the only real way to make them interesting at all was to constantly have the damned things malfunction, which just seemed tiring after the twelfth time.

I really hope this new series has zero holodecks in it. I never really cared much for the eps in the holodecks, they just seemed like wasted eps to me, and the only real way to make them interesting at all was to constantly have the damned things malfunction, which just seemed tiring after the twelfth time.

The only holodeck episode I enjoyed was, funnily enough, on Voyager. That 2-parter where the Hirogen take over the Voyager and turn the holodeck into their own little war game set in WW2.
Everything else though, ugh.

The only holodeck episode I enjoyed was, funnily enough, on Voyager. That 2-parter where the Hirogen take over the Voyager and turn the holodeck into their own little war game set in WW2.
Everything else though, ugh.

I recently watched The Killing Game 2-parter again. Was a fun watch.

Bane

Is the Abramsverse 1701 suppose to be that big?

Yeah, it's a beast. The idea being the tech (I've read it's borg but not sure if that's canon) on Nero's ship that came back in time in the new universe shot its technology forward faster than it would have normally.

dalin80

Banned
Yeah, it's a beast. The idea being the tech (I've read it's borg but not sure if that's canon) on Nero's ship that came back in time in the new universe shot its technology forward faster than it would have normally.

Yeah it's very flimsy, supposedly the Romulans decided to upgrade a civilian mining ship with Borg tech... Personally I would have thought choosing one of their immense fleet of warships with cloaking tech so noone could see what they were up to would have been a better idea but hey-ho. Apparently mining with a civilian crew is that important to the militaristic secrecy obsessed Romulan government that it gets precedence over the all powerful military.

So the 'fight' with the Kelvin happens which supposedly creates enough debris that the Federation can backwards engineer that tech, because as we all know the more powerful the tech the bigger it is, like CPU's and engines etc, all things which have grown over the years.

So we end up with a massive Fugly ship which is so enhanced by Borg tech that it has incorporated the immensely powerful 'lens flair generators' on every working surface. Because future tech = big and shiny. Then the vengeance is created which takes the ugliness factor and ploughs it through warp 10.

Effect

Is the Abramsverse 1701 suppose to be that big?

Wow. I did not realize it was suppose to be that big.

In other news I don't know what caused it but I've been looking around for more Star Trek sources to check out and came across Trek.Fm (and it's just that http://trek.fm). I don't know why I've never paid attention to this before. Looks like a series of different podcast for all different parts of Trek fandom (old and new) and then some. Looks like I have my evening entertainment all set as I check these out to see if they're good.

Anyone come across this before?

docyoe

No, thanks. Captain Sulu would be awful, an 80 year old mediocre actor is not what I want to see in a new Star Trek series.

It also doesn't help that George Takei (and Nichelle Nichols) is overestimating his importance when it comes to Star Trek and has been an obnoxious tool for decades. "Oh, Shatner did this and Shatner did that ..." who gives a shit if the star of the show didn't bend over backwards to pleas a dayplayer who was primarily there to fill a seat on the bridge.

Ouch that’s harsh^^

Yeah it's very flimsy, supposedly the Romulans decided to upgrade a civilian mining ship with Borg tech... Personally I would have thought choosing one of their immense fleet of warships with cloaking tech so noone could see what they were up to would have been a better idea but hey-ho. Apparently mining with a civilian crew is that important to the militaristic secrecy obsessed Romulan government that it gets precedence over the all powerful military.

So the 'fight' with the Kelvin happens which supposedly creates enough debris that the Federation can backwards engineer that tech, because as we all know the more powerful the tech the bigger it is, like CPU's and engines etc, all things which have grown over the years.

So we end up with a massive Fugly ship which is so enhanced by Borg tech that it has incorporated the immensely powerful 'lens flair generators' on every working surface. Because future tech = big and shiny. Then the vengeance is created which takes the ugliness factor and ploughs it through warp 10.
That's not canon thankfully. It's from that stupid comic.

It is canon that Nero's ship the Narada was scanned extensively by the fleeing shuttlecraft after it was disabled by the kamikaze run of the Kelvin, so that data and the threat of something so advanced did accelerate technological development so the tech of the TOS era Abramsverse is roughly equivalent to the late 23rd century.

Harlock

The weapons and damage in the TOS movies era is more cool. TNG you don't see much hull damage and the phasers shot don't have the same punch of hitting, because you have a gape between the hull and the shields. But is something you really only got to see in Star Trek 2 and 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom