• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

Marina Sirtis looked so much better in a starfleet uniform, though. Hell, even the TOS movies didn;t allow the TNG and Voyager bullshit. I feel like a new series wouldn't have the same level of explotation, because fan outrage would be huge from both the established fan base and others with no interest at all. T'pol's "sexy" scenes seemed weird, outdated and entirely out of place ib the mid 2000's, let alone now.

What was weirder was that decontamination scene where Tucker had a huge erection.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Marina Sirtis looked so much better in a starfleet uniform, though. Hell, even the TOS movies didn;t allow the TNG and Voyager bullshit. I feel like a new series wouldn't have the same level of explotation, because fan outrage would be huge from both the established fan base and others with no interest at all. T'pol's "sexy" scenes seemed weird, outdated and entirely out of place ib the mid 2000's, let alone now.

Seven looked great in a Uniform as well, in the one episode she got one.

4j0mXgU.jpg

Oh god I forgot about enterprises decontamination scenes.

I was cringing at those even back then when I was in my mid teens

Star Trek has never done anything sexy well IMO. Everything post-TOS has reeked of studio execs thinking their fan base are greasy male virgins that needed a scantily clad woman to ogle over. It also doesn't help that Roddenbery was also a huge pervert.

I think it's fair to say that DS9 probably handled its female cast the best, which is another reason why it's the best show.

Sou Da

Oh god I forgot about enterprises decontamination scenes.

I was cringing at those even back then when I was in my mid teens

I will never forget watching the very first episode of a Star Trek series and seeing the crew half naked rubbing eachother with lotion.

It's like the one Catwoman scene in Returns that's so burned into my mind.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Star Trek has never done anything sexy well IMO. Everything post-TOS has reeked of studio execs thinking their fan base are greasy male virgins that needed a scantily clad woman to ogle over. It also doesn't help that Roddenbery was also a huge pervert.

I think it's fair to say that DS9 probably handled its female cast the best, which is another reason why it's the best show.

Think Kira is easily the best female character the franchise has had. I could have done without the romance subplot with Odo, but it wasn't that bad.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
give me Odo over Ralph Fiennes on sleeping pills Bareil or Indiana Jones Shakaar any day, though. Although I'd say the latter was at least a cool stereotype

also, Kira in that latex mirrorverse garment was easily the sexiest ST Ive seen ( her bathing suit could be even sexier though). Only the Duras sisters got me so rigid

Fuchsdh

That was her mirror universe catsuit that got those complaints that actually Nana loved. Not sure if the actual day to day uniform ever had issues. All they really changed there was removing the shoulder pads.

That latex catsuit in the mirror eps sure was something though.... DS9 writers had way to much fun making characters bone each other or turning sex appeal up to 11 in those episodes. I think I remember a subplot of mirror Kira trying to bone herself.

I hated how they destroyed the mirror universe in DS9 though. The first ep was great, because they did have that thing with Mirror Kira basically being self-infatuated. And by the end of the series that just got turned into "everyone's a lesbian".

I think in general this is true. I can't think of an occasion where they tried to be overtly sexy and it didn't feel cringeworthy (really Voyager at least leaned hard into the cringe intentionally.)

You know, for all the hate I'm pouring on Enterpise it's only genuine great episode (and by that, the one I hold up against a TNG episode) is all about sexual identity. Cogenitor was such a great episode that I almost felt like I was rooting for a crew member of the Enterprise instead of struggling to remember their name.

Rayme

I was as far from a prude as you can be in your mid-20s, but that dumb "decontamination gel rubdown" scene in the pilot got me to walk away from the show forever. It was just sad, pandering, and suspension-breaking.

AntChum

I was as far from a prude as you can be in your mid-20s, but that dumb "decontamination gel rubdown" scene in the pilot got me to walk away from the show forever. It was just sad, pandering, and suspension-breaking.
You'd think if Starfleet were so worried about the crew contracting all manner of infections and/or diseases from their mission they'd have equipped the Enterprise with enough hazmat suits for the entire crew.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Season 3 and 4 were an improvement, bu I wouldn't say they were fantastic. Show got some direction and the stories improved, but the crew was still insufferable.

dalin80

Banned
Season 3 and 4 were an improvement, bu I wouldn't say they were fantastic. Show got some direction and the stories improved, but the crew was still insufferable.

There is in total one competent character: Reed. Between an assortment of the insane and the useless he does his job, acts semi-realisticly and also invents a host of useful features and techs. SFDebris reminded me of the episode that highlighted this the most as he worked against the cum-monster while most of the rest of the cast simply got in the way.

Blow up Romulan drone ships, disarm mines, invent the force field, create the 'Reed alert' and hand out Klingon style beat downs? All in a days work for a totally not gay Weapon-crazed Englishman.

Enterprise was finding some form and with the improved continuity could have worked out, the design for the upgraded enterprise which had a bolted on engineering section also sat with me better. But the damage was done...

butalala

The only full season of Enterprise I've seen is s4 and I thought it was extremely competently entertaining.

The decontamination scene from the 1st episode was amazing when I was 14.

The only full season of Enterprise I've seen is s4 and I thought it was extremely competently entertaining.

The decontamination scene from the 1st episode was amazing when I was 14.
The while Vulcan/Romulan arc was great. Makes me wish the show got enough seasons to show the Earth-Romulan War.

Effect

I do like that Enterprise gave a significant focus on the Andorians. That was nice to see. The show did get better as it went on but not fast enough. That final episode is garbage though. I know the show was canceled but come on. I know those involved admit it was bad idea after the fact but how could they not see how bad of an idea it was before it was done though.

butalala

The while Vulcan/Romulan arc was great. Makes me wish the show got enough seasons to show the Earth-Romulan War.

Yeah, that is honestly what the focus should have been on from the get-go instead of whatever time war bologna they actually got up to.

kingkaiser

I do like that Enterprise gave a significant focus on the Andorians. That was nice to see. The show did get better as it went on but not fast enough. That final episode is garbage though. I know the show was canceled but come on. I know those involved admit it was bad idea after the fact but how could they not see how bad of an idea it was before it was done though.

It was intentional, Rick Berman wanted to punish both, the cast and the viewers and simultaneously revoke his past prime, with highlighting old and apathetic actors from that time, dressed in laughably outgrown uniforms.

I always wondered if there was a plan for the temporal cold war or if they were making that shit up as they went a long. If there was a plan, I'd love to knoiw what it is someday to see if it was in any way redeemable.

I always wondered if there was a plan for the temporal cold war or if they were making that shit up as they went a long. If there was a plan, I'd love to knoiw what it is someday to see if it was in any way redeemable.
The Temporal Cold War didn't happen. At least as far as I understand it. Once the Nazis were defeated everything was reset and it was as if the conflict never happened.

It was intentional, Rick Berman wanted to punish both, the cast and the viewers and simultaneously revoke his past prime, with highlighting old and apathetic actors from that time, dressed in laughably outgrown uniforms.
The focus on Andorians only really happened when Manny Coto was given the wheel to the sinking ship. Before that there were like two episodes in three seasons featuring Andorians.

kingkaiser

The focus on Andorians only really happened when Manny Coto was given the wheel to the sinking ship. Before that there were like two episodes in three seasons featuring Andorians.

Yeah that's right, but I referred to the final episode including the Riker and Deanna Troi fuck up.

Manny Coto and his story arcs were a godsend to the series, the fourth season will always be the redeeming part of the show for me. In a Mirror, Darkly was outstanding.

Effect

True there weren't many but that's still more then any other Trek series where they've just appeared as background characters.

Don't understand the hate Enterprise gets.

Reverse Temporal Engineered Cold War.

That was an actual thing. When Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy did it in book 4, it was meant as a joke. Like, that is the most useless application of time travel ever. You have the power of a literal omnipotent GOD (see book 5 for the appropriate response to that), and the best you can think of is using it like an engineer. Oh great, a god with autism and lacking imagination. That's why it's a joke, and all stories using time travel at will suck. Some specific event or portal: fine. At will without restraints? Your story is fucked.

Fuller is smart enough to know this and avoid it like the plague. Which is why ( I would think) this won't be canon with the exact same bullshit from the recent movies. "Bigger spaceship: the show!", there is no way to make that work (or the supercharged lacking personalities for that matter). It really needs to be its own thing, with its own rules for how shit gets done, like the other shows before it.

teiresias

Tucker was hot, so I'm fine with the decontamination scenes. Enterprise also seemed just as willing to parade the males around in their underwear as the females - there was one episode with Tucker taking back the ship in his boxer briefs most of the time after all.

Outside of The Inner Light, what episode do you think has the best acting? Outside of that, I'd probably say The Visitor from DS9.

Bluth54

Dr. Phlox was the best part of Enterprise in my opinion, only character that I found interesting and looked forward to their scenes in the show.

Yeah Phlox was by far and away the best character on Enterprise.

I re-watched Enterprise a year or two ago and I don't remember ever seeing another doctor or nurse on the ship. I know Enterprise was a small ship with a small crew, but they must of had at least one more Doctor and a couple of nurses right? If Phlox was the only medical staff they had they would be pretty screwed if something happened to him.

Pluto

I think one doctor is enough for 80 people, it was a very small crew.

For routine procedures and check ups it would be enough to keep sickbay open for a few hours every day and I don't thnk they had that many emergencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom