• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
All Holodeck episodes are shit, so does it matter?

latest

The weapons and damage in the TOS movies era is more cool. TNG you don't see much hull damage and the phasers shot don't have the same punch of hitting, because you have a gape between the hull and the shields. But is something you really only got to see in Star Trek 2 and 6.

The Enterprise exploding in 3 and the hull damage in 2 and 6 were fantastic. I mean hell, they blew a fucking hole right through the saucer section in 6.

tuffy

The Enterprise exploding in 3 and the hull damage in 2 and 6 were fantastic. I mean hell, they blew a fucking hole right through the saucer section in 6.
Though to be fair, that sort of battle damage was a lot easier to get away with in movies with big budgets and no week-to-week episode continuity to worry about. On a TV budget, it was surely a lot cheaper to just put a big bubble shield over ships to make the visual effects easier.

Though to be fair, that sort of battle damage was a lot easier to get away with in movies with big budgets and no week-to-week episode continuity to worry about. On a TV budget, it was surely a lot cheaper to just put a big bubble shield over ships to make the visual effects easier.

Oh of course, but still, it the little details really can help the feel of it all. I mean, for something like Voyager, the ship getting fucked up bad was few and far between. Year of Hell showed it completely fucked. Timeless showed it crashing. Equinox getting obliterated. And a few others. But yeah, it doesn't happen often.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter

That was one of the things season 3 of Enterprise got right. The ship would get damaged visually and it stayed that way for the rest of the season (I think, it's been a while since I saw it).

That was one of the things season 3 of Enterprise got right. The ship would get damaged visually and it stayed that way for the rest of the season (I think, it's been a while since I saw it).

That ship loved getting the shit kicked out of it lol.

butalala

Oh of course, but still, it the little details really can help the feel of it all. I mean, for something like Voyager, the ship getting fucked up bad was few and far between. Year of Hell showed it completely fucked. Timeless showed it crashing. Equinox getting obliterated. And a few others. But yeah, it doesn't happen often.

Add that to the list of potential wasted on Voyager. Then compare it to the hell Galactica went through on BSG.

Yeah it got pretty messed up and they were constantly dealing with it throughout the season.
Enterprise_severely_damaged_2154.jpg

Honestly I'd rather see a series about the Enterprise C.

One of my all time favorite Star Trek episodes was called Yesterday's Enterprise, it was a TNG ep where the Enterprise C accidentally traveled through a temporary time rift while trying to save a Klingon outpost under Romulan attack, and into TNG era and encountered Picard's Enterprise D. When they vanished mid battle the Romulans succeeded and the Klingons blamed the Federation for the outpost's destruction, and thus launched a multi-decade Federation - Klingon war. The 1701C eventually went back through the rift, and even though they lost the fight the Klingon's took notice that the Feds attempted to help them, and thus the peace treaty was signed and the Klingons became allies of the Federation, like they were in TNG. It was a really good episode.

It would be kind of sweet to see a series dedicated to that ship, even knowing how the series would eventually end: with the destruction of the 1701C and her crew but for a great and honorable reason. Plus the finale would then be Yesterday's Enterprise but entirely from the 1701C's point of view. Obviously the series could address high tensions between the Federation and the Klingons building, while also dealing with the Romulans doing shady things in the background. Could make for some really interesting stories.

That was a great episode, i remember it well, the only thing is i didn't overly like the Ambassador Class, much preferring the Excelsior Class, plus its in more of an era where ship design was unknown, the C was closer to TNG era and so could be a little too close in looks.
That said i'd be happy with the C era too, and you make a great case for how a Finale could already exist of sorts, a finite story they can follow

Vic as a character was alright. And okay, Badda-Bing Badda-Bang was pretty fun. But 2 episodes (it and the aforementioned 2-parter) aren't gonna change my opinion of how shit the rest is. :p

KarmaCow

I will fight anyone who knocks Vic.

Vic was better than Holo-Doc, and I love Holo-doc.

You're crazy. Vic was more masturbatory than the equivalent in TNG and whatever the fuck was happening in Voyager's holodeck episodes. Though there were good episode(s?) in spite of him and I do appreciate that they had the sense to have Sisko basically say fuck that rose coloured glasses nonsense.

Platy

Anthology and Star Trek makes me think they will go Black Mirror style and just go crazy with an aspect of the universe each season and not doing like "prequel/sequel to existing series"

People on earth, some random ship that is destroyed by that God like alien from the original series, someone addicted to holodec, a ship where the red shirts are the only who survived an attack, a non aggressive Klingon exploration ship that is always attacked because klingons, a Borg cube's life when a virus happens, Lt Mary Sue tragic last travel to Abramsverse

Maybe what is the day to day of Bearded Spock dimension ?

Pluto

An entire Mirror universe season would be bad-ass.
But only with a strong and evil terran empire, I hated that DS9 turned humans into underdogs fighting for their freedom. What made the mirror universe fun initially was that the heroes were the bad guys, I want more of that.

But instead of doing an entire season in the mirror universe I'd set it in both universes with the cast being identical on both sides. I think seeing both versions of the characters would be more interesting in the long run, give them similar or identical missions on both sides and show how they react differently, over the course of the season the plots on both sides would deviate more and more.

Bluth54

But only with a strong and evil terran empire, I hated that DS9 turned humans into underdogs fighting for their freedom. What made the mirror universe fun initially was that the heroes were the bad guys, I want more of that.
Yeah I agree, the Mirror Universe in DS9 was pretty disappointing compared to TOS. I want to see the strong and evil terran empire again as well.

cntr

Banned
I always read humans being the underdogs in Mirror DS9 as a reflection of how dark the normal DS9 was, that the Mirror and Main universes weren't that different in the DS9 era.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They're not my favorite episodes, but I like what DS9 did with the Alternate Universe. Just having evil version of the crew would have been boring. TOS did that, and it was fun and original. Enterprise did it and it was fun for about 10 minutes then just got silly.

I also kind of like the idea of the Humans of the Alternate Universe getting screwed because of Kirk's interference.

For all its faults, I feel like alternative universe DS9 did what DS9 does best. The easy thing to do would have involved keeping the humans on top and subjugating lesser species to their imperialistic policies, but what we saw was a progression of the story that made me feel like we had missed entire series worth of a very interesting story.

butalala

Aren't the Mirror Universe Humans on the bottom of the picking order in DS9 because Kirk taught Mirror Spock how to be a good guy, which turned the Terran Empire into a bunch of wimps for the Mirror Universe Klingons to kick around? I always thought that was a nice bit of continuity.

I just noticed that DS9 episodes The Visitor and In the Pale Moonlight had the same writer... but he also wrote the episode Resurrection, which sucks ass.

Pluto

I just noticed that DS9 episodes The Visitor and In the Pale Moonlight had the same writer... but he also wrote the episode Resurrection, which sucks ass.
So does The Visitor, I never understood all the praise it gets, it's an awful episode, I skip it during rewatches.

So does The Visitor, I never understood all the praise it gets, it's an awful episode, I skip it during rewatches.

The Visitor is one of my favorite DS9 episodes. So I disagree with your opinion. I do agree that Resurrection was a pretty disappointing episode though.

Pluto

Really? Hell, it's an episode that can make cry. Tony Todd was fantastic.
Yes, really! I hate that episode.

Tony Todd is great actor and I'm not saying his performance is bad because it's not but he shouldn't have been in this episode. Cirroc Lofton should have played Jake, it's his part and if the producers thought he wasn't good enough they shouldn't have done this episode. And Lofton being too young is not an excuse, they didn't hire Betty White to play old Jadzia for example.

Ignoring casting issues the episode is also one of those pointless reset button adventures thas resolved by technobabble and doesn't affect anything down the line, it's the definition of filler.
I'd I think Sisko is written completely unrealistic, from his point of view his son ages and becomes an old man in a few hours and instead of being scared, worried or anything he just sits there looking at sleeping old man Jake. The entire episode is designed to make the audience cry and it's not even subtle, it's an hour long sob story and then Jake dies.

Fuchsdh

For the very little that it's worth, using the "real time" standards of previous shows 25 years from 2293 (STVI) would take us to 2318 or a little after. Either way there's virtually nothing known about the early part of the 24th century.

Will never happen. The suits made it pretty clear with Trek 11 that they wanted to reboot the franchise (even though Trek 11 very clearly is not a reboot).

Eh, it could be considered a soft reboot. They went about it very cleverly, in my opinion. Not many other franchises could get away with shoveling the main canon away in a separate universe, other than X-Men, and possibly the MCU/DCCU at some point.

antonz

For the very little that it's worth, using the "real time" standards of previous shows 25 years from 2293 (STVI) would take us to 2318 or a little after. Either way there's virtually nothing known about the early part of the 24th century.

Federation first contact with Cardassia is around 2321.

Maybe a season where they explore the early interactions between Federation and Cardassians.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Federation first contact with Cardassia is around 2321.

Maybe a season where they explore the early interactions between Federation and Cardassians.

That's not a terrible concept honestly.

Time hopping is a strange show Idea.

Either it's something like a wells class ship and they are actually time hopping
or
It's going to be new cast, new ship each season which doesn't bode well for creating characters. One of the strong points of star trek is characters grow ands become likeable like bashir or the doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom