• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

I'll be cautious about this after X-Files was pretty disappointing.
New stuff often sucks :-(
How many current TV shows get a really big budget? Even the popular superhero shows are feeling kinda cheap because they're not getting an open ended budget to really make a consistently good series. There's a whole lot of melodramatic dialogue because the effects and stunts budget is limited.

Times have changed. TNG had a huge per episode budget for the time. To do good sci-fi there needs to be a high end budget. It's probably costs a lot more to do equivalent today and with so many channels and sources competing for TV time, it's difficult to get a show proper funding.

It wouldn't surprise me if a new Star Trek series ends up getting an Arrow-type budget, and that's not going to be a good thing.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Fuller and Meyer? This could be amazing.

ST09 is fine. Into Darkness, however, was a bad trek movie for more than just its scientific leaps. The characterisations were terrible, especially the forced demotion and re-promotion of Kirk within the first half an hour, which evoked absolutely no emotion because it was so abrupt. The only story that seemed remotely interesting in Into Darkness was the father of the girl that was dying, which again, is pushed to the side for more action. So, yes, I think the characters in trek are more important than the science fiction -which is just a way of delivering relevant stories in a fantastical setting- but Into Darkness failed at that too.

ST09 is fine. Into Darkness, however, was a bad trek movie for more than just its scientific leaps. The characterisations were terrible, especially the forced demotion and re-promotion of Kirk within the first half an hour, which evoked absolutely no emotion because it was so abrupt. The only story that seemed remotely interesting in Into Darkness was the father of the girl that was dying, which again, is pushed to the side for more action. So, yes, I think the characters in trek are more important than the science fiction -which is just a way of delivering relevant stories in a fantastical setting- but Into Darkness failed at that too.

I've tried to sit through if a second time but I can't do it. It's so terrible.

How many current TV shows get a really big budget? Even the popular superhero shows are feeling kinda cheap because they're not getting an open ended budget to really make a consistently good series. There's a whole lot of melodramatic dialogue because the effects and stunts budget is limited.

Times have changed. TNG had a huge per episode budget for the time. To do good sci-fi there needs to be a high end budget. It's probably costs a lot more to do equivalent today and with so many channels and sources competing for TV time, it's difficult to get a show proper funding.

It wouldn't surprise me if a new Star Trek series ends up getting an Arrow-type budget, and that's not going to be a good thing.

I really hope they don't go cheap. I know you can make up for a lot with good actors and writing but if the budget is to low not even that can save a show.

Nicholas Meyer interview from Den Of Geek

Most interesting quote.

I should have known that! So, the politics of both Star Trek IV and Star Trek VI are what make those movies what they are. Is there something from the existing political landscape that might make its way into these new Star Treks?

The one thing I can relate to you is that The Undiscovered Country—according to Bryan [Fuller]—is a real sort of taking off point, or touchstone for how I guess he’s thinking about the direction of the new show. I don’t want to be misquoted and I don’t want to misquote him, but he’s fond of that film. Let’s put it that way.

butalala

No kidding. Keep saying stuff like this and I'll sign up for any streaming service you've got.

It's cues, not ques.

People are already speculating, based off that quote, that Fuller's show will be set in the prime universe after the Romulan supernova.

The fandom moves quickly.

Effect

No kidding. Keep saying stuff like this and I'll sign up for any streaming service you've got.

Pretty much where I'm at right now. They're saying all the right things here. To the point where I'm likely not going to have any reservation about signing up for this service when the time comes to give this a shot.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'll never understand why Meyer never came back to do more ST after ST6. Movie after movie, creators would say that they were looking to ST2 for inspiration, well why not get the guy who actually worked on that movie?

I got you fam

Same, ST2 and ST6 (6 esspecially) are seriously the highlights of the series. I assumed he never came back due to show runners wanting too much control, where as he was known for changing things.

In 2 he completely change the look and feel of Star Trek. In 6 he did it again (this time with lighting and taking it and much more political direction. You dont make those type of changes without angering some people I'm sure.

butalala

You're probably right about that. I hate to lean back on this old meme, but it seems like if you want to know why Star Trek wasn't as good as could have been, the answer is usually Berman/Braga.

Fuchsdh

People are already speculating, based off that quote, that Fuller's show will be set in the prime universe after the Romulan supernova.

The fandom moves quickly.

As it should be. There's so much stuff you could do with where the Prime Universe left off.

And god knows we could use more smart and interesting politics in sci-fi to purge the idiocy of the Star Wars prequels out of people's heads.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Taking cues from The Undiscovered Country? Be still my beating heart.

That is such a promising statement that I literally smiled and felt warm inside after reading it. The more I learn about this show the more excited I am getting. Could we actually for real be getting a good Star Trek show out of this? o_O

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I could see them putting it in a post supernova timeframe. But I'm hoping for a bigger time jump. There have been a ton of good (and some not so good) novels that have spent a decade building a cohesive post nemesis trek universe. Some of the directions they took characters was idiotic but I actually quite like where most people ended up and it would seem a shame to wipe that all away, even though it isn't remotely Canon.

butalala

One of the commenters on the Meyers interview suggested that the show could take place at a time/setting where it's impossible to tell which continuity it is part of. I think that's actually a pretty good suggestion.

They might arrange things so it's impossible to tell. That might be the best approach. For instance, is the Vulcan in this series the original or the colony? They don't have to say.

Fuchsdh

I could see them putting it in a post supernova timeframe. But I'm hoping for a bigger time jump. There have been a ton of good (and some not so good) novels that have spent a decade building a cohesive post nemesis trek universe. Some of the directions they took characters was idiotic but I actually quite like where most people ended up and it would seem a shame to wipe that all away, even though it isn't remotely Canon.

They have enough to be beholden to (or at least sweep away) with the shows. I think the whole appeal of the Star Trek EU is that they have more leeway to do what they want since the only limitation is what fans will accept; it's non-canon either way.

Here’s Why ‘Star Trek’s’ TV Revival Won’t Debut Until Next Year

While many fans are excited for the return of “Star Trek” to television, some have undoubtedly questioned why the series won’t premiere until next year, missing the 50th anniversary of the franchise. It turns out CBS isn’t allowed to launch the show until six months after the July release of Paramount’s “Star Trek Beyond.”

As CBS Corporation chief Les Moonves explained earlier this week at the Deutsche Bank Media, Internet & Telecom Conference, the stipulation dates back a decade, to his company’s split with Viacom.

“One of the big sticking points, as you can imagine, was ‘Star Trek,'” he said. “You know, we both wanted it. [Paramount] said ‘It’s a movie!’ and I said, ‘No, no, no, it’s a TV show.’ Actually, we’re both right. So they kept the feature film rights, we kept the television rights; they have [‘Star Trek Beyond’] coming out July 22.

“Our deal with them is that we had to wait six months after their film is launched so there wouldn’t be a confusion in the marketplace.”

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...-treks-tv-revival-wont-debut-until-next-year/

In before Trump should have negotiated the deal.

Fuchsdh

Here’s Why ‘Star Trek’s’ TV Revival Won’t Debut Until Next Year

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...-treks-tv-revival-wont-debut-until-next-year/

In before Trump should have negotiated the deal.

The rights split has always been a really weird part of the franchise and I'm surprised they haven't dealt with it more concretely, especially since it was clear Paramount wanted to build Star Trek up into a blockbuster tentpole and they managed to screw the pooch on that one.

Effect

Who is in control of what and why is kinda confusing, a mess when it comes to Star Trek.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek_corporate_history

I will say though I really wish StarTrek.com had as much effort put into it that StarWars.com does. It used to from what I remember. Now it's just bad from a design stance. It's more of a weird store front then anything. Information not really being that accessible. It's there but you have hoops you have to jump through.

Who is in control of what is kinda confusing when it comes to Star Trek.

I will say though I really wish StarTrek.com had as much effort put into it that StarWars.com does. It used to from what I remember. Now it's just bad from a design stance. It's more of a weird store front then anything. Information not really being that accessible. It's there but you have hoops you have to jump through.

No lie. The Disney/Lucasfilm/Marvel social media people are about the best in the biz
(except for the FOX Deadpool team GOAT)
- even during the down years with no new SW movies, they still did a bang up job online. CBS needs to really up their game.

Fuchsdh

Who is in control of what is kinda confusing when it comes to Star Trek.

Yeah it took a bit of a dive. At least the content's still good but it is rather badly presented.

I remember back in the old days it had postage stamp sized videos of the episode teasers for all the eps and I'd wait five minutes for one to load on dial-up :)

ivysaur12

Banned
CfBGZ05UMAAoeBx.jpg:large

@BryanFuller
#StarTrek #Legend

berzeli

Banned
The first (really boring) teaser key art has been revealed at MIPTV in Cannes:
CfLp5IaWQAAeFze.jpg:large

Thought some of y'all might appreciate it.

Lagamorph

Using canon as an argument, it can't.

There are a shitload of movies and episodes in Trek that show time-travel doesn't create alternate realties, only altered ones.
Easy to get around though by saying it's not another timeline but a parallel dimension.

In a mirror darkly showed that certain methods of travelling through time, or travelling to parallel universes, causes the other to happen as well.
And there was that TNG episode with Word travelling through parallel universes where some could have only tiny differences that only occurred after a certain point in time.

cntr

Banned
There's an informal distinction between "alternate timeline" and "alternate universe" in Star Trek and other time travel stuff.

An alternate timeline has a specific point of divergence, but an alternate universe has always existed. Timelines can "overwrite" other timelines, but they don't have to.

So the mirror universe is an alternate universe, because there's no point where it "split off" from the primary TV universe (it even has multiple timelines of its own). But something like The City on the Edge of Forever, that changes the timeline of the "same" universe.

The reboot universe is probably a full alternate universe, not an alternate timeline.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
So it should come out in January '17, but when do we see a trailer or even get a cast announcement?

Cheebo

Banned
That's the TOS era starfleet insignia, isn't it? Meh, I wanted a 24th century series.
We heard from the head writer of the show that he wants to do a show that feels like the 60s Trek, that he has already done Voyager/DS9 style content and wants to do some thou more like TOS. That was never going to happen.

Not to mention the involvement of Meyer. This is going to be TOS era very likely.

Cheebo

Banned
At least it'll probably be the prime universe, which is all that matters.
With Kurtzman you never know but I suspect that would most likely be the case. Regardless of which universe everything we have heard from Fuller so far heavily implies it is a TOS era show.

With Kurtzman you never know but I suspect that would most likely be the case. Regardless of which universe everything we have heard from Fuller so far heavily implies it is a TOS era show.
Here's the #1 reason why I see the Prime universe being the most likely: Paramount owns the movie rights, CBS has the TV shows. By setting the new show in the Prime universe, CBS will have full control and won't have to consult with Paramount over anything.

Also, in this era of binge watching, there's more incentive to keep the all the TV shows unified under one universe so they can better support each other.

Effect

I thought they said officially that the new movies were an alternate timeline not a replacement.

Edit:

I was right they did say that. Here is an interview with Orci. They even touch upon some of the past time travel episodes.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/12/11/bob...-movie-fits-with-trek-canon-and-real-science/

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-movie-takes-place-alternate-timeline-vic-4546/

This was listed as a summary at the end of the interview/article.

To summarize…in FAQ form
All of the above can be a bit much to take in, and to paraphrase Captain Janeway ‘time travel gives you a headache.’ In reality you really won’t need to understand any of this to watch the movie. The above explains (in possibly too much detail) how the film resolves both the paradox of how the movie can appear different, but fit within canon, as well as how the film resolves the traditional paradoxes associated with time travel. So here it is in a simpler FAQ.

Q: Why do some things appear different in the new Star Trek movie?
A: There is an alternative timeline created by Nero traveling back in time.

Q: Is everything different in the alternative timeline?
A: No, some things remain the same.

Q: Does this alternative timeline wipe out the original timeline (from TOS -Nemesis)?
A: No, quantum theory says they both co-exist.

Q: Does the original timeline continue?
A: Yes, again as explained by quantum theory.

Q: Does this quantum theory approach conform to ‘Trek science?’
A: Depends on the episode, but it is explicitly cited by Data in the episode “Parallels.”

Fuchsdh

Not a case of bringing it up, but of not being constrained by anything that happened in it and directly contradicting it if the story idea calls for it.

I don't think you'll need to worry about that. Star Trek has on occasion just ignored precedent to tell stories, and as long as A) the stories are good, and B) it's nothing too egregious. I think a lot of the Enterprise stuff failed on the first score (the Borg and Ferengi stories) but didn't really impact the second (stupid hand-waving because the Borg and Ferengi never said their name. Okay. We move on.)

Lagamorph

Parallels!
That's the Worf episode I was thinking of! An entire multi-verse and Prime Worf still gets Worfed wherever he goes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If this is going to be TOS era, I hope it will ignore Enterprise (it won't. :/).

Even the Abrams movie had a shout out to Enterprise. I doubt anything from it will drive stories, but I'm sure there will be occasional references to all the Trek shows (if the timeline is after the TNG/DS9 Era anyways).

Lagamorph

Enterprise gets a bum wrap around these parts.
I enjoyed it for the most part and it can very easily work in with the rest of the Star Trek canon. It does little that could overrule later series and at the same time doesn't do a great deal to restrict what anything set after can do, certainly not anymore than the other series do.

I'd fund a series about Odo investigating crimes in the 24th century
I'd rather see a full series of Teal'c PI myself.

TOS Star Trek really doesn't fit the TNG and DS9 universe (ignoring the TOS films), but that is still accepted as canon by fans of those series and the showrunners. TOS is no enterprise, but my point is you can still reference the good parts of the past while looking to the future. There is nothing inherently wrong about mentioning archer and enterprise while ignoring the temperal cold war, just like Kirk and crew are acknowledged despite space hippies, fully functioning cyborgs that put data to shame and all sorts of jank.

Edit: If anything, the show that will probably be most ignored is Voyager assuming the Borg are brought back. There is no way Voyager can be talked about if they borg are to be menacing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom