• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

TOS Star Trek really doesn't fit the TNG and DS9 universe (ignoring the TOS films), but that is still accepted as canon by fans of those series and the showrunners. TOS is no enterprise, but my point is you can still reference the good parts of the past while looking to the future. There is nothing inherently wrong about mentioning archer and enterprise while ignoring the temperal cold war, just like Kirk and crew are acknowledged despite space hippies, fully functioning cyborgs that put data to shame and all sorts of jank.

Edit: If anything, the show that will probably be most ignored is Voyager assuming the Borg are brought back. There is no way Voyager can be talked about if they borg are to be menacing again.

I dunno, I think even with Voyager there's plenty of options to bring back the Borg. I was talking with a friend about all the plot hooks Voyager left lying around that a good writer to turn into hay, and one we both agreed on was bringing back the Borg Resistance from "Unimatrix Zero" as basically a slowly failing group that was the only thing distracting the Borg from going whole-hog into an invasion of the Alpha Quadrant.

I do think that if you bring back the Borg as an active, present threat, you do have to shit or get off the pot at this point. While I don't think the EU Destiny series handled it very well (although I did kind of like the V'ger-like resolution) I appreciate that they wiped out the Borg for good.

Effect

I like to think you can repair what was done with the Borg. You can just say the collective rebuilt itself with a focus on making sure what happen to it in Voyager never happens again. Have it claim it's a new force and the old one was weak, etc. Acknowledge the mistakes that were made but in a in-universe context. You'd have to have them doing some very serious shit and get away with it completely because no one could do anything to stop them or retaliate. Something that strikes terror into all the major factions. Then they just have them leave because they can until a good enough reason is found to bring them back into the story many, many years later. You'd be able to have them reclaim their spot at the time if you did that I think.

teiresias

Since we apparently have no idea what time period this show is set in nor what universe trying to figure out how to fix, or even if you're at a point in the timeline you'd even NEED to fix, the Borg is all speculative.

Frankly, my dream Borg scenario is a reboot universe TNG trilogy springing from the TOS-era alterna-universe movies that can then just ignore any weirdness they want to from the prime universe treatment of the Borg. Combine the Borg with the budgets the new films are getting and you're in for some craziness. I'm not one of those people that dislikes the idea of the Borg Queen though, so I'm fine if they keep her around (bring Alice Krige back for all I care, but it would be amazing to see someone like Blanchett cast in the role).

As for the alternate timeline vs alternate universe thing. I think the new movies are better explained as a crossover of the two concepts. The black hole that Nero and Spock - who are obviously from post-Nemesis prime universe - went through, is both through time and through dimensions/universes. It's not the "Mirror Universe" the new movies are in obviously, but some other parallel universe, so you have the post-Nemesis TNG era from prime altering the past timeline of an alternate universe. Whereas, all the Mirror Universe stuff in TOS, DS9, and ENT is Prime and Mirror interacting at the same points in their timelines. I obviously just make the assumption here that the universes are all in sync time wise so the Nero blackhole has to also be doing time travel as well as universe hopping.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Are the Borg still popular? Voyager did a pretty thorough job ruining them, and outside a mediocre Enterprise Episode haven't been seen in 15 years.

Well the Borg are on their way anyway after the signal that was sent in the ENT episode.

There is nothing canon linking V'Ger to the Borg either.

TyrantII

I hope they don't plan on retreading a bunch of stuff that doesn't need it. They need Q-Whos, they do not need more borg.

In an entire galaxy of real estate with trillions of sentient beings, surely there's more stories to tell. Leave the old stuff, let's get something new and interesting with our own 21st century spin on the future.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If this is going to be TOS era, I hope it will ignore Enterprise (it won't. :/).

Enterprise is prime universe, but it doesn't need to refer back to it that much if it doesn't need to. Not sure what would be bad about referring to it anyway since it was the show itself that wasn't great and not necessarily the things or characters that much.

Would at least make sense timeline-wise to do the show after Enterprise

Sapiens

My hope is for something cool and risky and controversial, but my expectation is the veneer of the JJ movies with more character focus.

If I had it my way, it would remove itself from the current canon, at the very least. Star Trak needs a genuine fresh start.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I hope this isn't anything like Next Gen at all.

Me too. I'd honestly prefer a solid mix between BSG and Star Trek TOS, and by that I mean a more character driven, gritty but hopeful Star Trek where technology isn't too crazy like it was in TNG (magic tech fixes to problems) and the ships are less luxury but more "navy" feeling, meaning less perfect and invincible. No Borg, no holodecks, no magic transporters, just good stories with interesting character interactions and arcs, plus actual space exploration and new things to discover.

I hope this isn't anything like Next Gen at all.

kH9i7h2.gif

Enterprise is prime universe, but it doesn't need to refer back to it that much if it doesn't need to. Not sure what would be bad about referring to it anyway since it was the show itself that wasn't great and not necessarily the things or characters that much.

Would at least make sense timeline-wise to do the show after Enterprise

They had a garbage tier first contact with the klingons for a start.

I wouldn't mind that having a do-over

"Trials and Tribble-ations" says you're wrong.

Great episode. One of the best. Still, it did kind of highlight that TOS is from an entirely different era of TV and I'm ok with that.

But, among hardcore trek fans the Borg are probably worn out, but in order for this show to succeed it needs to appeal to an audience it lost or a newer, younger audience and the borg are probably the second most popular species in pop culture after Klingons.

cntr

Banned
DS9 is closer to TOS than TNG was, being about the rough and violent frontier.

plus Sisko and Kirk are the awesomest captains

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Are the Borg still popular? Voyager did a pretty thorough job ruining them, and outside a mediocre Enterprise Episode haven't been seen in 15 years.

to me, it's been enough time for people to forget the dreadful Voyager treatment so the Borg are ready to be introduced again as a scary, unstoppable menace

but, they need a massively revamped design besides the cubes. These cubes and spheres are still cool

Maaaaaaaan, eff y'all with your Wild West stuff.

Give me that TNG utopia with a focus on exploration, astronomical events, cultural tourism, and minimal intra-crew conflict. We can have another BSG. We can have Stargate. We can have Babylon 5. We can have Abrams nuTrek. Those types of shows can always get made.

Having something like TNG on is a rare treat, and we might never be so fortunate as to see something like it again.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Maaaaaaaan, eff y'all with your Wild West stuff.

Give me that TNG utopia with a focus on exploration, astronomical events, cultural tourism, and minimal intra-crew conflict. We can have another BSG. We can have Stargate. We can have Babylon 5. We can have Abrams nuTrek. Those types of shows can always get made.

Having something like TNG on is a rare treat, and we might never be so fortunate as to see something like it again.

Yep, don't get why TNG is so underrated by trek fans while stuff like DS9 is so overrated.

I just couldn't buy in Avery Brooks' acting in DS9, it was a huge downgrade over Patrick Stewart for me. Another aspect that bothered me of DS9 is the lack of adventures or that feeling of adventures that TNG had, DS9 is too stationary, too caught up in politics about races I don't particularly care much. The Cardassians were ok, but good lord Bajorans centric episodes were such a freaking slog. In TNG there was always that feeling of "what is the tng crew gonna encounter now" kept the series fresh for over 6 seasons.

butalala

Yep, don't get why TNG is so underrated by trek fans while stuff like DS9 is so overrated.

I just couldn't buy in Avery Brooks' acting in DS9, it was a huge downgrade over Patrick Stewart for me. Another aspect that bothered me of DS9 is the lack of adventures or that feeling of adventures that TNG had, DS9 is too stationary, too caught up in politics about races I don't particularly care much. The Cardassians were ok, but good lord Bajorans centric episodes were such a freaking slog. In TNG there was always that feeling of "what is the tng crew gonna encounter now" kept the series fresh for over 6 seasons.

TNG's adventure status is overrated. It's the Star Trek series that most resembles an early 90's dentist office and that has the highest percentage of scenes set in a board room.

TNG is looked down on by me because of the bland characters that spend 7 years in nearly the same roles, with hardly any character growth. Picard, Riker, Data and Worf are good to great and enormously likable, but the series on whole feels like a repetitive series of events with minimal consequences, often wrapped up with a trite statement about Federation ideals or Human achievement. Often entertaining, occasionally great, but never as good as Deep Space Nine.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Since when is TNG underrated? I know DS9 is my favorite, but I still love TNG, and rarely meet people who don't.

As for DS9. I liked Brooks acting. He's easily the most "human" of the Star Trek Captains. Far more like an every-man than the grand figurehead all the other captains were (or tried to be in the case of Janeway and Archer). Brooks' acting suited that. I would say Stewart is the better actor, but I don't think Brooks was that far behind.

This is reversed. It really is. To Star Trek's detriment, unfortunately.

TNG is so revered within the fandom now. it's arguably the most important incarnation of the series to the largest percentage of it's followers

It's also, amazingly, not really much like any other successful version of Star Trek from a storytelling perspective. It's an anomaly. It doesn't have much in common with TOS, DS9, or the reboot, it's not much like the classic crew films, hell, it's not even much like its OWN set of films, either. It's certainly not much like Enterprise or Voyager, shows that, while not being very good, at least were actively aspiring to ideals found in DS9 and TOS, respectively.

Somehow, somewhere along the line, a large contingency of the fandom decided the best possible version of Star Trek that could be was the one offered up in Next Gen, and has been judging anything else that bears the name "Star Trek" by that standard.

It's not a good standard, though. I like the show (I rate it behind DS9 and TOS), but I certainly don't want any new version of Star Trek, especially not one headed up by Bryan Fuller and Nicholas Meyer, to try aping it.

TNG is a pacifier that pretends its nutritional.

This is reversed. It really is. To Star Trek's detriment, unfortunately.

TNG is so revered within the fandom now. it's arguably the most important incarnation of the series to the largest percentage of it's followers

It's also, amazingly, not really much like any other successful version of Star Trek from a storytelling perspective. It's an anomaly. It doesn't have much in common with TOS, DS9, or the reboot, it's not much like the classic crew films, hell, it's not even much like its OWN set of films, either. It's certainly not much like Enterprise or Voyager, shows that, while not being very good, at least were actively aspiring to ideals found in DS9 and TOS, respectively.

Somehow, somewhere along the line, a large contingency of the fandom decided the best possible version of Star Trek that could be was the one offered up in Next Gen, and has been judging anything else that bears the name "Star Trek" by that standard.

It's not a good standard, though. I like the show (I rate it behind DS9 and TOS), but I certainly don't want any new version of Star Trek, especially not one headed up by Bryan Fuller and Nicholas Meyer, to try aping it.

TNG is a pacifier that pretends its nutritional.

This is why you're the Lore Expert.
I love me some TNG, love Picard and Data and many of the characters. But through the lens of time - it doesn't hold up well IMO. It was an older school of storytelling that somehow managed to survive when serialized arcs were becoming popular. It needs to stay in the past.

cntr

Banned
TOS is about Kirk exploring the unknown that lie beyond the frontiers of the Federation, while DS9 is about Sisko standing firm against the horrors of the unknown to defend the Federation. The wagon train and frontier town, respectively.

TNG doesn't have that kind of thing built into its premise. It has features, like the Borg, but it's not a key element of the series.

TOS is about Kirk exploring the unknown that lie beyond the frontiers of the Federation, while DS9 is about Sisko standing firm against the horrors of the unknown to defend the Federation. The wagon train and frontier town, respectively.

TNG doesn't have that kind of thing built into its premise. It has features, like the Borg, but it's not a key element of the series.

I would honestly beg to differ. The entire series is the Q Continuum judging whether humans should exist or not.

I'd love to see Lance Reddick as the captain.
dd3807de3288007542e37ba01d56bbf2.jpg

Fuller previously said that his preferred Captain would be Angela Bassett:

I would love to do something on the Reliant ... I want Angela Bassett to be the captain, that’s who I would love to have, you know Captain Angela Bassett and First Officer Rosario Dawson. I would love to do that version of the show and but that’s in the future to be told.

Both are committed elsewhere, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get another female Captain if Fuller has the pull.

I think it's time to step outside our comfort zone and have a GAF captain.

Episodes would involve meeting new alien species, learning their ways, and then arguing with them about frame rates and Iron Man 3.

Pluto

Lance Reddick would kill it, holy shit. Now I want him as Captain.
I don't want him because that seems to be the kind of role he often plays, he was the guy in charge of others in The Wire and Fringe. I'd still like him on the show but not as the CO, He can be the science officer.

They should cast Parminder Nagra as the captain. :)

viola davis would be even better than angela bassett if he wants a powerful black female lead. she's tied up with her own successful show though.

i dunno who i'd like to see as captain in here. excited it's happening though. i'd kill to see some BSG alum hired as one of the crew members in this series.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
oh boy, captain war! and no mentions of Idris Elba, bloke's popularity fell off lol

I say, let's have an alien captain for once. I don't see why only humans would be allowed to become one

Fuchsdh

Actually that's a good idea.

White guy with pointy ears it is.

Honeslty we if we get an alien it would basically just be a Romulan or similar, because you're not going to make your lead guy or gal inscrutable behind makeup, and chances are you're going to get a lot of hard passes on the role if it requires five hours each and every day to get into. I don't understand how the alien actors did it—especially Ethan Phillips, who apparently couldn't rest his head anywhere because it would crush the damn hair job he was forced to wear.

Ethan Phillips could handle it because he knew his ridiculously obnoxious and shitty character would hurt us all collectively a millionfold compared to the pain he'd have to endure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom