• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all about new series for me. New "Top Gear" with the 3 boys on Amazon and Star Trek next year. Seriously cannot wait!

I'm really hoping it's a weekly one hour show. I wonder if it'll be a continuation after Voyager or it'll be a complete reboot.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Abramsverse hopping forward to the 24th would be fine. Or good. Or dreadful.

It could also be 100% irrelevant -- I feel like one of the last things the writers are going to dwell on overlong is this very topic. "Which universe?" is a big question for the fans, but it's also a question that can be tucked under a rug surprisingly competently, I think, and it's just about the last thing everyone else is going to be asking.

The new series can be in the 3,498th universe depicted by the Enterprises in TNG's "Parallels" for all I care, as long as it's interesting. xD

rjinaz

They deserve a revival after Voyager took all the teeth from them. But The Borg should be kept away from anything Kirk-era and stay Picard-era. Plus, logically, the Borg would completely stomp Kirk-era Starfleet.

The problem with the Borg is that they are just drones that attack attack attack. It's hard to come up with a long and detailed story with them because there is no personality, no compromise, no solutions. Voyager tried to do it by introducing the Queen and it was just meh. Borg are good for short stories of conflict.

I think Star Trek's main problem is that a lot of the old universe appears anachronistic for a world that is supposed to be so much more advanced than ours.

Sephzilla

The problem with the Borg is that they are just drones that attack attack attack. It's hard to come up with a long and detailed story with them because there is no personality, no compromise, no solutions. Voyager tried to do it by introducing the Queen and it was just meh. Borg are good for short stories of conflict.

Voyager didn't introduce The Queen, the TNG era movies did that. But yeah, The Borg (when used properly) are only really good for two storylines at most; (both of which TNG did). Still, I like the Borg because they're just so different from every other Trek villain that came before.

I think Star Trek's main problem is that a lot of the old universe appears anachronistic for a world that is supposed to be so much more advanced than ours.

What makes Star Trek futuristic is its human element and racial politics. Total human harmony is more alien a concept then anything they can make beep and glow.

The new series can be in the 3,498th universe depicted by the Enterprises in TNG's "Parallels" for all I care, as long as it's interesting. xD

latest

jb1234

Given that Voyager had a drone as a main cast member, I think it had more claim to Borg stories than any of the other shows. It's biggest mistake was making the Queen Janeway's personal nemesis. Very hard to take either character seriously when they're busy taking swipes at each other over a viewscreen.

Given that Voyager had a drone as a main cast member, I think it had more claim to Borg stories than any of the other shows. It's biggest mistake was making the Queen Janeway's personal nemesis. Very hard to take either character seriously when they're busy taking swipes at each other over a viewscreen.

Voyager's biggest problem is that it's captain was an omnicidal nutjob.

jb1234

Voyager's biggest problem is that it's captain was an omnicidal nutjob.

Oh, I meant it's biggest issue regarding its handling of the Borg. But if we're going to criticize the show on a bigger level, I'd say wildly inconsistent writing and characterization was what let Voyager down. A shame because on paper, it was an incredibly talented cast.

Oh, sorry. I hear "abramsverse" and instantly think Kirk-era.

i would prefer to think of it as just that timeline, but would love to imagine that there are plenty of ships going on plenty of adventures out there.

Into Darkness was (clumsily) trying to show that timeline sort of "righting the ship" when it comes to starfleet returning to an exploration culture following a few years of post 9/11-esque military paranoia, culminating in the whole khan/uss vengeance thing.

note: i really do like the story they are trying to tell there, it's about the dangers of losing your way in light of an aggressive catastrophe (in this case, the slaughter of the fleet against Nero in the first film), i just think they told it poorly.

aaaanyway, there's no reason why you can't have another ship and crew out there who are pushing the old line of exploration and trying to leave the dark years behind, could be a great thing if done right.

Well, a real Borg invasion couldn't be done anyway because the way American frachises are handled where everything is part of one canon universe. The impact on the world building would be too big which would make more series in the same universe kind of impossible.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
i would prefer to think of it as just that timeline, but would love to imagine that there are plenty of ships going on plenty of adventures out there.

Into Darkness was (clumsily) trying to show that timeline sort of "righting the ship" when it comes to starfleet returning to an exploration culture following a few years of post 9/11-esque military paranoia, culminating in the whole khan/uss vengeance thing.

note: i really do like the story they are trying to tell there, it's about the dangers of losing your way in light of an aggressive catastrophe (in this case, the slaughter of the fleet against Nero in the first film), i just think they told it poorly.

aaaanyway, there's no reason why you can't have another ship and crew out there who are pushing the old line of exploration and trying to leave the dark years behind, could be a great thing if done right.

Holy heck, someone else who recognizes that Into Darkness at least tried to contain themes.

Be my friend.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
With ST: Beyond, it's quite clear the Enterprise bites the dust for good this time.

Give me a series that follows 1701-B and I'll be content. Leave -A for kirk and co.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
“Hannibal” creator Bryan Fuller has found his next mission: showrunner and co-creator of CBS’ new “Star Trek” series.

A longtime fan of science fiction, Fuller began his career writing for “Star Trek: Voyager” (1997-2001) and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” (1997).

“My very first experience of ‘Star Trek’ is my oldest brother turning off all the lights in the house and flying his model of a D7 Class Klingon Battle Cruiser through the darkened halls. Before seeing a frame of the television series, the ‘Star Trek’ universe lit my imagination on fire,” said Fuller. “It is without exaggeration a dream come true to be crafting a brand new iteration of ‘Star Trek’ with fellow franchise alum Alex Kurtzman and boldly going where no ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before.”

The new series is set to bow on CBS in January 2017, then move to CBS’ All Access digital subscription service. It will be the first original series to launch on a broadcast network but air primarily on an SVOD service.

HNNNNG

I never liked Fuller's work on Star Trek, some of his other stuff, sure. But I mean... Fuller wrote Spirit Folk. Fucking Spirit Folk.

Tony Todd is pretty awesome though.

FoneBone

I didn't even know Meyer was still working in the industry (though it doesn't seem like his credits over the past decade have been very high-profile).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Breakbeat

Banned
I just want my diplomatic tension back. That was one of my favorite things from the Primeverse which is now completely absent from the Abramsverse, and really became a defining feature for Trek as a franchise. Hopefully this will be what I'm looking for.

TyrantII

After seeing XFiles pick up right where they left off (in terrible season 9), I hope they don't do that.

TOS and DS9 need to be the playbook with the best of TNG thrown in. They also need to get rid of the holodeck and time travel. If someone comes up with a script with either of those two words, flush them out the damn airlock.

Jacobi

Banned
I'll be cautious about this after X-Files was pretty disappointing.
New stuff often sucks :-( new Star Trek too (Nemesis, Enterprise, Resurrection, Voyager, JJ Abrams dreck ...)

They are going the right direction so far. Meyers is a hell of a pull.

But I am most curious about who they bring in on the writing / production side with no previous Trek work experience. A entire generation of TV people probably grew up with Trek but it was already dead when they finally landed a job in the industry.

After seeing XFiles pick up right where they left off (in terrible season 9), I hope they don't do that.

TOS and DS9 need to be the playbook with the best of TNG thrown in. They also need to get rid of the holodeck and time travel. If someone comes up with a script with either of those two words, flush them out the damn airlock.

Also nazi episodes or throwbacks to the 20th (or 21th) century, please.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

some of the best TNG episodes were when they did the PI stuff :[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom