• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: The Second Story R |OT| Todos los Dias

What average score do you think Star Ocean: The Second Story R will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • 91 - 95

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • 86 - 90

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • 81 - 85

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • 71 - 76

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • 66 - 70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65 or below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I wasn't impressed with the english VO in the demo......how are you all going to play it (VO setting)?
New Japanese is what I ended up with after doing the demo too.

The English VO I heard was all good but Claude is SO bad it destroys the whole thing unfortunately.

Gambit2483

Can you swap VO or are you stuck with one choice?

Square Enix clarified Star Ocean: The Second Story R will feature three unique voice acting choices: English voice acting from the PSP version, newly recorded Japanese voice acting from the original PlayStation 1 cast, and Japanese voice acting from the PSP version.
...players can switch between the voice-acting options at any point during gameplay.

I also thought I heard you can even customize VAing on a per-character basis though I could be wrong about that one.

Labadal

After a couple of hours on PS5, the game sounds great, looks great, and plays great.

The new OST is very well made, despite me preferring some of the old tunes. A job well done. I don't think the graphics are for everyone, but they click with me. The combat in this is my favorite version, but the game is much easier than I remember. I went English audio for now, and it works for me. All in all, I am very happy with the execution of this version of the game, and I am very happy with my purchase.

On PS5, there was a 1.6GB day one patch.

image.png

Review Thread

Metacritic - 86
OpenCritic -

I've edited the reserved post with the MC and OC scores, plus added direct urls to the 3 main digital storefronts where the game can be bought from and also to the review thread. Enjoy! :D

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I also thought I heard you can even customize VAing on a per-character basis though I could be wrong about that one.
You're not wrong on that. I don't know if you can mix English and Japanese voices tho.

2 hours in and I'm loving this game. This game runs really good on Switch. I don't notice any slowdown and the load times are fast. Look very beautiful so far. Character sprites look great. And I like the 2D Portraits that accompany the dialogue scene. When the characters talk, the Portraits are animated, with the mouth moving when they are speaking. It's a cool effect

The redone soundtrack is fantastic. You can change it to the original soundtrack. The voice acting is decent, nothing special.

You can speed up animations during Story Scenes.

The enemies appear on the map, and the color of the enemy denotes how tough the enemy is. The treasure chest all come in different colors to let you know if you are getting an item, equipment or something else.

I'm only disappointed that you can't save anywhere in Towns/Dungeons. There are save spots. Only when you go to the world map you can save anywhere.

The battle system is fun. They improved it alot by making it quicker. And there's a new parry mechanic. I can't wait to play more later on today

They did a good job adding lots of QOL feature to this game.

I'm going to try to 💯 both Claude and Rena Route

I'm currently on Rena Route

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No voices. I'm a better voice actor in my head and I don't want to have to wait for people to 'perform' their lines. I only like voice acting if its quick and poignant. I like to feel the scenes more in classic RPGs though.
Same here. 95% of the time when they try to “enhance” an old school JRPG by adding VA to the dialog scene, it just makes it worse. It’s always slow, with awkward pauses after every line, and doesn’t flow anything like a real conversation. Just feels like someone is reading the words off the screen to you. Plus it highlights how pointless and wordy most JRPG dialog is.

So much better when you use your imagination instead. I just wish we had the ability to control the event voices and battle voices independently.

graywolf323

just got my code from pre-ordering with GMG a short while ago, excited to start this up when I get home from work ☺️

the code didn’t activate saying anything about the pre-order bonuses though 🫣 hopefully they’re there because IIRC the GMG page did mention them 😕

Gambit2483

Good News! The full game is indeed on the cart, or at least the first
few hours that I've played so far is all on the cart.

There is a prompt for a day one download but like I mentioned, it's most likely for the language options pack. I declined the download and the game ran perfect fine without it.

If you're having hesitation about getting it physically just know that there is no mandatory download for initial gameplay.

Sojiro

Bah, Amazon shows my order still as "Received" and hasn't even shipped it yet 😡 (I pre-ordered it mid October). I may see if my local Walmart can save the day and cancel my Amazon order if Walmart has it. I haven't had an issue with an Amazon pre-order before 😞, a bit of a bummer, but the wait will be worth it.

Bah, Amazon shows my order still as "Received" and hasn't even shipped it yet 😡 (I pre-ordered it mid October). I may see if my local Walmart can save the day and cancel my Amazon order if Walmart has it. I haven't had an issue with an Amazon pre-order before 😞, a bit of a bummer, but the wait will be worth it.
Same here, but I just ordered it yesterday. Going to the store tomorrow, and if I see it there I'll just grab it because you never know when you'll get it from Amazon.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man, this is as awesome as I could a have hopes for.

Feels like what a proper PS1 remake should be. Detailed in the backgrounds but not hyper detailed. Great sprite work on the characters and special effects. Nothing jarring.

Fun story and I will have to go out on a limb and say that this will be better for the game vs the original. I feel the better presentation with the core mechanics will carry this well ahead of the original.

It feels like a much better game. I know there's a bit of nostalgia at play but I can already tell this will deliver and exceed my expectations.

I sat for a 2.5 hour session and had to be forced to stop due to life.

Highly recommended.

NeoLed

The break system elevate Helm Splitter to A+ tier. This might be unpopular opinion, I kinda missed the use to level up combat moves. The new sistem is a great QoL, but it remove the 'training arc' feel from the game.

Got lucky on item creation. Made myself a flame sword with 5% damage as mp recovery. Claude can just spam combat artes all day

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Environments are REALLY nice, I dunno why they went with sprites for the characters and everything, I think it'd look better with some modest 3D models a la modern Trails or Ys games or even Square's own Trials of Mana. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy sprites and even love games that use a blend of 3D environments and sprites like earlier Ys and Trails games and of course the 32bit games they look like, Grandia, Xenogears and such, but I believe the high quality environments here don't match as well as those games that have unfiltered pixel-art esque textures. It's fine still, I'm just saying...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The break system elevate Helm Splitter to A+ tier. This might be unpopular opinion, I kinda missed the use to level up combat moves. The new sistem is a great QoL, but it remove the 'training arc' feel from the game.

Got lucky on item creation. Made myself a flame sword with 5% damage as mp recovery. Claude can just spam combat artes all day
Yeah WTF helm splitter is like instant break, it’s great!

Agree about the training, it’s fine but I don’t like worrying about wasting my points on a skill I won’t use for long.

I was wondering what's the Max Level Limit? I remember with OG The Second Story, you can level up your characters to lvl 999. Was wondering if that's still the case?

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I was wondering what's the Max Level Limit? I remember with OG The Second Story, you can level up your characters to lvl 999. Was wondering if that's still the case?
Was it 999 in the OG? For some reason I thought it was 255.

Anyway, I'm gonna get the PS5 version once my PS Portal comes in (hopefully Nov. 15th) and do a Claude playthrough. My OG playthrough was Rena. I hope they buffed Ernest.

Arsic

Was it 999 in the OG? For some reason I thought it was 255.

Anyway, I'm gonna get the PS5 version once my PS Portal comes in (hopefully Nov. 15th) and do a Claude playthrough. My OG playthrough was Rena. I hope they buffed Ernest.
It was 255 in OG.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man it only takes 120 points to max out Determination, I had it maxed at Cross Cave. Nice to get that out of the way so early.

Now I’m playing like a real man: Training activated on universe mode

Arsic

Man it only takes 120 points to max out Determination, I had it maxed at Cross Cave. Nice to get that out of the way so early.

Now I’m playing like a real man: Training activated on universe mode
Universe mode big dick bosses aren’t for me. The cave of trials is brutal

Top Bottom