• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: The Second Story R |OT| Todos los Dias

What average score do you think Star Ocean: The Second Story R will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • 91 - 95

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • 86 - 90

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • 81 - 85

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • 71 - 76

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • 66 - 70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65 or below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
53200926504_4c3aba47b5_k.jpg

image.png

RED_STEAM_Gif_Story_EN.gif

image.png

RED_STEAM_Gif_Features_EN.gif

star_ocean_r_key_features.png

image.png

91MtPcP+4XL._SL1500_.jpg

91e9n24d5zL._SL1500_.jpg

91W-PTsaEkL._SL1500_.jpg

image.png

81InRWCAXzL._SL1500_.jpg

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R: Questions with the Development Team​

star_ocean_r_faq.png

star_ocean_bg.png
star_ocean_bg.png

star_ocean_bg.png
star_ocean_bg.png

star_ocean_bg.png
star_ocean_bg.png

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Anyway I’m guessing low 80s. Although if games like Sea of Stars and Chained Echoes can score in the 88-90 range then by all rights this game should too (assuming it lives up to the expectations set by the demo + trailers).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Where is this in order of the line of star ocean games? Can you pick up and play this or need to play something before hand?
You can play in any order, they are only loosely connected. MC of this game is the son of one of the SO1 protagonists but you don’t need to play that one first (but you should! First Departure R is really fun).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Not sure if I'll be getting this on day 1 or not. Just finished Octopath Traveler II, so I probably should take a break from RPGs before Mario RPG comes out.

But I sure as shit want it. The visuals look great in motion and I suspect this'll be the polish pass on combat that the original game really needed. I love seeing PS1-era RPGs getting this treatment (and hope Xenogears is next in the queue...)

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Definitely picking up day one on ps5.

This was my favorite game of all time for a long time growing up. Everything they’ve done here is master craft . Demo was superb.

TriAce may finally have a good game on their hands again which stopped after PS2 era.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Gut feeling says 84-85ish. If it scores higher than that I’ll probably pick it up after I get past BotW, TotK, and Mario RPG.

Needlecrash

Pre-ordered on Switch (NTSC U/J, PS5 and PC). I'm REALLY hoping someone mods the PS1 English voices in for the PC version.

Needlecrash

A reminder for yall newbies:
  • Rotate your saves for different party recruitment options.
  • Many items and weapons in the game have been renamed slightly or into something completely different. FYI, the Marvel Sword is now the Sword of Marvels.
  • Claude can recruit Leon, but Rena can't. Rena can recruit Dias, but Claude can't.
  • Recruiting certain characters will lock out recruiting others. If you get Precis, you can't get Bowman. If you get Ashton, this locks you out on getting Opera and Ernest later on. Hence, ROTATE YOUR SAVES.
  • Engage in chain battles to get experience and Fol (currency) bonuses.
  • Learn Pickpocketing early AF and get the Marvel Sword (now renamed Sword of Marvels) via goodie box (Treasure chest in the OG version) from the challenges or steal it from the old man at Marze village. YOU WILL THANK US LATER.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Really been looking forward to this. Always wanted to play this way back in the PS1 days but always passed on buying the game, even when it was so cheap at one of my local stores for so long. I really want to try and play the first one too this week if I have time for fun. But really just excited for it. Need a fun game right now since I got some bad news recently. JRPGs always cheer me up.

Needlecrash

So I've realized that the original was WAY ahead of it's time in terms of JRPG's. Here's how...

• Max level being 255.
  • Full HP/MP heal via the character eating their favorite foods, can cure status effects too minus KO.
  • Over 80 endings (slight variations depending on character selected and relationship level and who's in your party).
  • Multiple difficulty options after beating the game.
  • One of the first RPGs with voice acting.
  • Multiple ways to break the game (item duplication, forging experience medals).
  • Making your own Ultimate Weapons.
  • Creating weapons, armor, accessories, items, even cooking your own food.
  • Using a specialty that breaks the 4th wall.
  • Recruiting everyone will require multiple playthroughs via both protagonists.
  • One of the few games where there's more than one main character.
  • Battles in real time (minus spells).
  • Having player and enemies casting spells at the same time can either negate the attack, reflecting the enemies attack, or absorb it to make stronger to hit either party.

Last edited:
Um... Is it bad that I'm looking forward more to the possible announcement of a remake of the 2003 Action RPG Drakengard more than I am this?
This however, if it is as good as people say, I'll pick up when I get the chance. Helps that you don't need to have played First Departure to know what's going on, so you can jump in willy nilly.
It's just that, well... I played Drakengard earlier in the year and... I consider it a guilty pleasure as it comes so close to being good, but DAMN it's the number one game in desperate need of a remake!

Last edited:

Pejo

Great OP! I was shocked at how much I like the way this looks in motion. Also, a rare occurrence, the font they chose for the remake doesn't make me want to puke.

50 is kind of a big ask for this old of a game, but they seem to have been faithful to the original this time and put some effort in. I've paid more for worse, so here fuckin' goes.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I picked 81-85 but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's lower or even much lower due to the hate SE and the SO series gets.

If games like Sea of Stars and OT can score so highly I don't know why this can't as the demo was legit but we shall soon find out.
Sea of Stars is a fan-backed game that obviously promised to check some boxes and did, and was scored on these premises alone.
Anyone with a shred of objectivity and a minimum of background in playing JRPGs can see how that game is lacking in several departments. The overall quality of the game has naught to do with the ridiculously inflated scores it got at release.

Max level being 255

Over 80 endings
The fuck?
I’m smelling a huuuge time sink here.
This makes me a bit less interested in the game for the time being.

Shifty1897

The fuck?
The 80 endings things is a little disingenuous if I remember correctly. These are not Chrono Trigger style different endings, there is one ending with a lot of slight variations and added scenes based on who you recruit and your characters' affinity for each other at the end.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The 80 endings things is a little disingenuous if I remember correctly. These are not Chrono Trigger style different endings, there is one ending with a lot of slight variations and added scenes based on who you recruit and your characters' affinity for each other at the end.
Ah, so a bit like Majora’s Mask’s ending, albeit on a vastly different scale.
Thanks for clarifying!

JimboJones

I picked 76 - 80, On one hand I could see gameplay maybe putting off people who didn't grow up with JRPGs like this, feeling it's old or "outdated"
On the other hand It could score higher based on the quality of the remaster which graphics wise looks great and they have introduced quality of life improvements so I'm not sure what way it will sway.

neoism

I'm still torn as to which version to get, lol.
same lol i have my og black label ps1 and psp versions but i want it on steam lol but also want a phyical copy.. :/ i have a ps4 wonder if the ps4 version has a free ps5 upgrade.
shame the 200 jesus edition is a scam.. they should of made a new strat guide and included it aswell and it would almost be worth 200 dollas X_X

Needlecrash

The fuck?
The game CAN be a huge time sink. Lots of variables in the game that can be put into this. If you just want to go through the story, then it can done in about 70 hours or so. Keep in mind that once you learn the nuances of the item creation system and such, gaining levels is easier than you realize.

Needlecrash

same lol i have my og black label ps1 and psp versions but i want it on steam lol but also want a phyical copy.. :/ i have a ps4 wonder if the ps4 version has a free ps5 upgrade.
shame the 200 jesus edition is a scam.. they should of made a new strat guide and included it aswell and it would almost be worth 200 dollas X_X
The worst part? The Japanese version has more stuff in it and it's CHEAPER than the Western versions. The game is between $42-$50 depending on where you order it from. The soundtrack alone is $31. The 40 page artbook is worth....well I have no idea. Also, a 40 page artbook is pretty pathetic honestly.

Top Bottom