• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia

Stadia

• Will die in 2021

Votes: 154 37.9%
  • Will die before the next gen (PS6)

Votes: 158 38.9%
  • Will be kinda sucessful

Votes: 67 16.5%
  • Will beat the PS5

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldergamer

Op is delusional. Stadia doesn't know what market segment its aimed at. Hardcore gamers want the latest hardware to play games on. Pc gamers that are interested it the best graphics would rather have a game installed and running locally.

Console hardcore gamers arent going to choose this over the big three.

Stadia isnt aimed at casual games or gamers.

So who are they expecting will want the stadia service?

BlackTron

Captain Toad Captain Toad SoggyBiscuit SoggyBiscuit @kretos reforen reforen @GreatnessRD

Sorry, guys. You lost... (if you voted for the 2021 death of Stadia, then ask the moderators for a ban. If you have dignity, of course 😋)

Two options for you:
- 2 months ban
- Using the beautiful following avatar on gaf for 2 months:
190607-logo-stadia.jpg

Of course, if Stadia dies in 2022, i'll use this avatar:
QM09Ksz_d.webp

State of Stadia 2022:

That's true Stadia lost a battle at the video games award: Phil Harrison deserted the place.

That said, Stadia won two major victories with the LG/Samsung integration.

Yes, GFN also did it but Stadia has this time a tremendous advantage: convenience.
The mass audience already struggles to use the search bar on netflix with a remote controller, imagine the disaster with all the fucking random login of GFN...

Your wife, your daughter don't care about Steam compatibility, RTX3080 tier, Raytracing, G-synch 33KTR26 whatever Xtra lag killer...

They want to click and play.(Your daughter using GFN: "15 minutes queue ? Daaad, i don't understand, it's not working 😭")
Some gamers don't get it, it's simple as that. That's why 2022 will be an important year for Stadia with click to play on youtube and the smart TV integrations.

I don't know if Stadia will survive 2023 but they are clearly doing a better job (if you look at mass market possibilities)

750588.jpg

maybe i'm just imagining it but the last month or so i've seen it advertised a lot more. i think streaming has a place in the future but it's not there yet and google need to rethink stadia if they want to give it a real chance. i do think stadia will be shit canned at some point soon. it's just what google does. if the shit doesnt stick then toss it out and move onto something else.

Op is delusional. Stadia doesn't know what market segment its aimed at. Hardcore gamers want the latest hardware to play games on. Pc gamers that are interested it the best graphics would rather have a game installed and running locally.

streaming is most definitely aimed at casual gamers and the average gamer.

there are plenty of people out there who would happily pay a monthly subscription to stream games instead of buying actual hardware like a console (except a controller of course). shit, i'd consider myself a gaming enthusiast (spend thousands on a custom PC. have owned loads of consoles. currently 3) and i'd be more than happy to go all in with streaming. if my PC ever dies and if i felt streaming was good enough then i'd sign right up instead of spending hundreds on a console. right now when my PC goes i'd probably look to get a Series X but if xCloud had better image quality and less latency i'd probably just use that instead.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

ITT I realized Stadia is added to WebOS 5.0.

Technically its not dead. But its just kind of there. And Google lifted the restrictions on it by providing an app for Samsung and LG sets.

You have to ask yourself as consumer, is it a better deal than Gamepass or Geforce Now? I think not.

Drew1440

They had some controllers discounted along with a bundle chrome cast around November last year as an anniversary bundle. Was tempted but didn't go for it in the end, the controller isn't much use outside of Stadia in terms of wireless connectivity.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Also how did a thread about predicting the death of stadia twist into the topics OP crying out for mods to ban who ever voted it would die in 2021 for 2 months?
Take a deep breath or a tea, it's not a serious thread... but i like provoking console fanboys, that's true 😁

Skifi28

I'm always happy when I see this thread pop up. It's like watching that guy always trying his best but always failing, but he doesn't give up. The moment he gets up you know he's falling down again, but you can't help but cheer for him.

Well, if that guy was a multi-billion dollar corporation that owns half the planet.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

What about your little sister ? 😘
Obviously she wants a RTX 3090 for 4K120 FPS, tesselation, raytracing...

Who is delusional ? 😆

And i never said Stadia will be a massive success, i think it will be kinda succefull but i'm not sure about that.

Hard to say but LG and Samsung is a big move, admit it... don't stay in your gaf bubble. (most women don't care about graphics, most of them buy Nintendo stuffs)

Fat Frog

maybe i'm just imagining it but the last month or so i've seen it advertised a lot more. i think streaming has a place in the future but it's not there yet and google need to rethink stadia if they want to give it a real chance. i do think stadia will be shit canned at some point soon. it's just what google does. if the shit doesnt stick then toss it out and move onto something else.

streaming is most definitely aimed at casual gamers and the average gamer.

there are plenty of people out there who would happily pay a monthly subscription to stream games instead of buying actual hardware like a console (except a controller of course).
Sub is still a strong barrier for kids and casual.

I think the best trojan horses for cloud gaming are popular free to play like Genshin impact, battle royal FPS (Apex or something? sorry i don't know if this lne is f2p, i don't play that kind of games...).

Fat Frog

I'm always happy when I see this thread pop up. It's like watching that guy always trying his best but always failing, but he doesn't give up. The moment he gets up you know he's falling down again, but you can't help but cheer for him.

Well, if that guy was a multi-billion dollar corporation that owns half the planet.
Admit it, you all love me 😎

Another 10% of the TV market has adopted Stadia 🤑

Soon enough all TVs will have Stadia integrated hu hu hu 🤪🤡🥳

Last edited:

reforen

Captain Toad Captain Toad SoggyBiscuit SoggyBiscuit @kretos reforen reforen @GreatnessRD

Sorry, guys. You lost... (if you voted for the 2021 death of Stadia, then ask the moderators for a ban. If you have dignity, of course 😋)

Two options for you:
- 2 months ban
- Using the beautiful following avatar on gaf for 2 months:
190607-logo-stadia.jpg

Of course, if Stadia dies in 2022, i'll use this avatar:
QM09Ksz_d.webp

State of Stadia 2022:

That's true Stadia lost a battle at the video games award: Phil Harrison deserted the place.

That said, Stadia won two major victories with the LG/Samsung integration.

Yes, GFN also did it but Stadia has this time a tremendous advantage: convenience.
The mass audience already struggles to use the search bar on netflix with a remote controller, imagine the disaster with all the fucking random login of GFN...

Your wife, your daughter don't care about Steam compatibility, RTX3080 tier, Raytracing, G-synch 33KTR26 whatever Xtra lag killer...

They want to click and play.(Your daughter using GFN: "15 minutes queue ? Daaad, i don't understand, it's not working 😭")
Some gamers don't get it, it's simple as that. That's why 2022 will be an important year for Stadia with click to play on youtube and the smart TV integrations.

I don't know if Stadia will survive 2023 but they are clearly doing a better job (if you look at mass market possibilities)
wait a sec, is STADIA the preferred cloud platform for videogames? Mods if you consider STADIA is successful enough I accept the 2 months ban

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I don't think Stadia will die.

If the future of gaming is cloud and subscription only, without the option to buy games physically or digitally (why would anyone still do this in the future lol), then it makes sense for Google just to ride it out and eventually it'll become popular and mainstream.

Crew511A

Oh you voted Stadia will die in 2021 and admitted your mistake. (nice avatar 😎)

You're a fair Stadia hater. You have my respect 🥳

Such a weird thread. If people are enjoying their Stadia, good for them, but how are we judging whether this thing is alive or dead? Technically the Atari VCS isn't dead, but it's not exactly relevant.

I think it's pretty telling that this thread is the first I've heard of Stadia in months. As far as most people are concerned, the system is dead.

Fat Frog

Bad news for non believers 🥳🤪🥳.

Yeah Stadia is currently hiring and is about to be released in South America:

Why is it important.
Let's face it. America is crap and is crap for cloud gaming because gamers have access to great consoles but have data cap for internet... (bad for cloud)

On the other hand cloud gaming is very popular in Brazil since consoles are too expensive for the average gamer. (GFN and Xcloud are too crowded with infinite queues ). There is a cloud demand in Brazil and a 70mbps average internet speed. (40 is needed for 4K Stadia)

The future of cloud gaming are merging countries.

2022 LATAM
2023 ASIA (huge demand in India) ?

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Bad news for non believers 🥳🤪🥳.

Yeah Stadia is currently hiring and is about to be released in South America:

Why is it important.
Let's face it. America is crap and is crap for cloud gaming because gamers have access to great consoles but have data cap for internet... (bad for cloud)

On the other hand cloud gaming is very popular in Brazil since consoles are too expensive for the average gamer. (GFN and Xcloud are too crowded with infinite queues ). There is a cloud demand in Brazil and a 70mbps average internet speed. (40 is needed for 4K Stadia)

2022 LATAM

Crap for internet and good for buying shit. Good luck Brazil with your empty world cup stadiums and tin foil hats for wifi reception. If Stadia stood a legit chance for what the future could be the landscape starts and ends in Europe. If you're trying to claim that Brazil's network infrastructure is on par with USA, you must be higher than me

637d0NG.jpg

Fat Frog

Crap for internet and good for buying shit. Good luck Brazil with your empty world cup stadiums and tin foil hats for wifi reception. If Stadia stood a legit chance for what the future could be the landscape starts and ends in Europe. If you're trying to claim that Brazil's network infrastructure is on par with USA, you must be higher than me

637d0NG.jpg
There is no data cap in Brazil and no money to buy next gen consoles...
Understood ? ;)

Brazilians have excellent results with Stadia even using VPN...

Teslerum

I took my first serious look at Stadia and I agree.

Too high a focus on games most wouldn't need to stream to get the best experience and individual games are too expensive to be attractive. PC Game streaming in general is in a bad place and has not nearly found its niche yet. GeforceNow is too limited in its library too.

It's shocking too, because right now, with pc parts being expensive, you could dominate this market.

Closest to a decent service is Xbox Cloud Gaming with Sony possibly reaching that standard when they overhaul PSNow this year. But those are for console games.

637d0NG.jpg
As far as I remember, internet in Brazil is pretty ok, especially in cities. The last time I’ve checked, the average speed was around 100mbps download which should be more than enough to streaming. Besides that, I don’t recall seeing data caps. So there is definitely a big market there for services like Stadia and XCloud.

I don't think Stadia will die.

If the future of gaming is cloud and subscription only, without the option to buy games physically or digitally (why would anyone still do this in the future lol), then it makes sense for Google just to ride it out and eventually it'll become popular and mainstream.
That makes no sense. iphone wasn't the first smartphone, it wa just the one who got the formula right. There is nothing to ride on if Stadia doesn't offer the right things to be a success.

2022 LATAM

Yes. There is demand in India, and I believe Google is waiting for Microsoft, to launch Xbox Cloud Gaming in the country first, and see the data about server load, rather than just racing there. GamePass (without Cloud) has been in India for a while and has been successful.

That or they will do other countries with better network infrastructure like, remaining countries in EU, South Korea, Japan first, and then move to the big countries (in terms of population) like India and China.

There was recently an offer by OnePlus, that gives away a Stadia Premiere Edition for free with their flagship phones, but without the service officially launched in the country. Many of the Indian gaming community thought it was a signal that they're launching Stadia soon, but no word from Google, yet. The only way for them to consume Stadia content is through VPN's.

Mobile and PC Gaming dominates the Indian market, while Consoles being a niche. Literally half of PUBG Mobile version's market is India.

With, media subscriptions like Netflix, Disney+ (through a tie-up with a TV network's streaming service,) and Amazon Prime on a big surge recently, due to the pandemic forcing WFH, Gaming will for sure have had a significant boost as well. It's a medium-high priority market for sure.

Fat Frog

As far as I remember, internet in Brazil is pretty ok, especially in cities. The last time I’ve checked, the average speed was around 100mbps download which should be more than enough to streaming. Besides that, I don’t recall seeing data caps. So there is definitely a big market there for services like Stadia and XCloud.
Thank you. I wasn't lying when i said 70 mbps average in Brazil...

As for internet infrastructure in Brazil:

It doesn't matter if America has a better one.

America has fucking data cap (it's a nope even for me) and Stadia has no real extra value there. (consoles are fine enough.)

In Brazil that's another story. When minimum wage is fucking low and console prices fucking high:

Cloud gaming has a huge value. Period.

So even if Stadia doesn't create data centers in LATAM(which i doubt), there is still the latest Google high end submarines cables to link people with US data centers. (it works greats according many brazilians using VPN)

Firmina_subsea_cable.max-1000x1000.jpg

Message to westerners:

You're not alone in the world 🤑

Many countries doesn't have easy access to consoles, cloud service could be the only cheap way for them to play AAA games...

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Many good or neutral Stadia articles from youtubers and big websites are popping everywhere lately...

What happened ? They realized Stadia is pretty cool or something else happened ? 😜

Your guess ? 🤡

Fat Frog

Totally forgot about Stadia tbh. Well, google has enough money to throw at it until they get bored.
Video games is one of the biggest gold mine in the world. Google will throw money for a long time (they already see how much money they can make with android games).

Not sure if Stadia will survive but i think they'll try for years to succeed (maybe it will evolve, maybe they'll rebrand or couple it with other services, i don't know. But they won't stop in 2022.That's for sure.)

The Stig

The dedication is admirable.

I've just read the thread from start to now. While I think Brazil could be a shot in the arm for Stadia I honestly think it's been on life support for a long time and it just cant match consoles.

Fat Frog

The dedication is admirable.

I've just read the thread from start to now. While I think Brazil could be a shot in the arm for Stadia I honestly think it's been on life support for a long time and it just cant match consoles.
I know i'm awesome 🤡😎.

Life support ? Of course...
Microsoft had losses for 5 to 7 years before to find real success with the 360.
Then, they almost gave up with the disapointment of the Xbone (articles on the subject). Sony thought the same with the PS3.

Entering this market isn't an easy task especially when you were seen as the juggernaut, the big guy to beat:

I remember game journalists really concerned about their job, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo thought about kind of partnerships to counter Google and its unlimited virality power...

Then, the pathetic Stadia launch happened, all the fanboys gathered to laugh at Stadia but at first a part of the industry was really afraid of Google.

Back then Google was overestimated,
now it's underestimated.
(some people don't realize it will be available on billion TVs in the upcoming years, integrated to youtube trailers and extremely cheap for poor countries)

True, for now, Stadia has a bad image, there isn't enough games, enough reasons for conventional gamers to like it... but like Juggernaut, if it started running (let's say Success in Latam and India) the domino effect could be huge with more publishers, more games to feed the click to play youtube trailers, more reasons for casual gamers to ditch the usual playstation or Switch, Xbox. (these brands will remain ultra popular with the HUGE market of core gamers).

I'm not saying, it will happen, but clearly (with a few changes, improvement, commitment) Stadia has a enormous potential.

I don't think gamers on GAF don't see this possible future, they just refuse to imagine it and will do anything to stop it. (same used jokes or bad faith depending of the person)

I also think f2p games will be a key for success. (trojan horse for people afraid to paid for cloud gaming).

Free entry fees (it began on Smart TVs) and seamless experience (no random login like GFN) and a few others popular family games will be crucial to convince casual gamers. (a new Sonic Racing free to play on Smart TVs bundled with Stadia controllers along side the new Sonic 2 Movie could be very efficient to introduce the service with free online)

Reactions: JLB

Fat Frog

That's due to import tariffs. Many of them have people from the US buy them consoles.
Still...
Minimum wage is not the same in Brazil, India.

Speaking of which, i saw Romania was one the leader of internet speed and low salaries... Cloud gaming has clearly a future in that kknd of country.

Here a poor Serbian envies Stadia in Romania. 🤑

Important data, there are only 22 Stadia ready countries...
Plus most of them aren't born to love cloud gaming.(like i said our good old consoles are doing a great job already. The thirst for cloud is specific to people who just broke their consoles, students with budget, people who just play 1 game... on the other hand console is a luxe in many countries)

Google is aiming a billion gamers market who really needs cheap video games. Latam, India...)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

They got paid.
Honestly the timing is very suspicious and even as Stadia fan i wouldn't laugh at conspiracy theories here 🤪🤑.

Next subject

Google Stadia being weakened and not seen anymore as the "upcoming Juggernaut to beat", do you think Sony will now evaluate a partnership with Google instead of Microsoft.(big nope for the game pass on playstation)

Before Stadia's launch, MSFT was probably seen as a wounded Hulk by Sony (semi failure of the Xbox One) but after Osidian, Double Fine, Bethesda, Activision, perhaps PlayStation now imagine Xbox as a two gems Thanos...

What do you think ?
Agent Phil Harrison won't find any common ground with Sony ?

They will all (Amazon, Facebook) let MSFT eat all the remaining publishers ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom