• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia

Stadia

• Will die in 2021

Votes: 154 37.9%
  • Will die before the next gen (PS6)

Votes: 158 38.9%
  • Will be kinda sucessful

Votes: 67 16.5%
  • Will beat the PS5

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
A thread for the ages.

@all smart asses

No escape, dudes. You must leave a comment and your opinion about Stadia's future. 🤪🥳😜

No more "LOL", " It's dead" And then hidding if Stadia become successful one day...

Have balls or please take a cup of STFU. ;) (we don't care about your feelings, pathetic opinion 😇, it's a bet thread 🤡😎)

I think it will be kinda successful (efficient, easy to use, cheap and the easiest way to play cyberpunk)
[/URL]

Stadia VS consoles

Round 1: Stadia in the ropes
(No game, expensive, no stream on Samsung/Apple smartphones) The Xbox One X is trying a German suplex on Stadia. Google is saved by the bell...

Round 2: Base PS4 Cyberpunk runs at 3 FPS 144P.
55018a1bc3a1c2b32e2492c007dadb83059ecdb6.jpeg

John Carmack enters the ring and announces "SIXTY FRAMES PER SECOND" on Stadia. PlayStation is in a big trouble...

Round 3: Stadia's status is mixed. No clear road map still 2020, no VGA presence but it's just arrived on 100 million smart TVs, Google is still hiring for Stadia in 2022 and the service is about to land in LATAM.

Guess, Stadia has at least a few more years to live. Let's ser how the situation evolves (it seems there is a demand for cloud gaming in developing countries...)

Round 4: Stadia believers have the higher ground. Fifa 23 and Stadia are confirmed for Mexico...

Last edited:
It'll die next year. It already is barely spoken about in gaming circles. No matter how many adverts YouTube tries to shove down my throat.

I can't see Google bothering to continue with it.

kebaldo

I and two friends received it free from google... And I'm actually blown away by the service. I don't have a 10/10 connection (65mb/s in download) but it run's for 99% of the time without problems. For me the KA of the services is the "family" thing... I bought Doom Eternal, my friends bought Valhalla and Cyberpunk and with a little bit of organization we will be playing a lot with a little money. The only BIG problem: GAMES.... they need to spend that juicy google money to bring "normal" stuff (like cod, fifa) and some great exclusive sh*t.
For now it's a beautiful service but they need to work hard in the right direction (not that bulsh*t of linking with YT). 8/10

Interfectum

Without exclusive games and a proper suspend/resume for single player titles the service is near worthless. Alphabet execs will squash this service after their first party games end up being shit.

Can't blame em for trying but Microsoft is always looking over their shoulder at Google and their response with Gamepass/X-Cloud was essentially a nuke from orbit onto Stadia. That's outside the issues Stadia currently has, but Google has played the long game with plenty of stuff before and eventually come out on top, but the competition here seems too much for them handle (right now). So I pretty much expect it to die, but it really depends on how far Google is willing to go and from the looks of it, it doesn't seem it's very far.

Last edited:
I remember the same stuff was said around 2013 with PSNow, but that's still around. If Google stick with Stadia like that then they can carve out their own niche, tried the trial myself and it actually seems pretty good for a game streaming service (tho I'm not sold on the whole 'buy the game to stream' model it has without Pro)

Interfectum

Can't blame em for trying but Microsoft is always looking over their shoulder at Google and their response with Gamepass was essentially a nuke from orbit onto Stadia. That's outside the issues Stadia currently has, but Google has played the long game with plenty of stuff before and eventually come out on top, but the competition here seems too much for them handle (right now). So I pretty much expect it to die, but it really depends on how far Google is willing to go and from the looks of it, it doesn't seem it's very far.

Google could beat MS in streaming if they actually leveraged streaming tech in games. MS is shackled to supporting consoles whereas Google is 100% online and networked. Their first party needs to be able to make games not possible anywhere else. They won't though.

Last edited:
I've had Stadia pro since they gave out two months free a while ago and it's honestly the second best value service. Only beaten by gamepass.

Cyberpunk is the first game I've paid in full for and am very excited to see how it performs.

Last edited:
Google could beat MS in streaming if they actually leveraged streaming tech in games. MS is shackled to supporting consoles whereas Google is 100% online and networked. Their first party needs to be able to make games no possible anywhere else. They won't though.

And not just that either, they're not even leveraging their own platforms to support Stadia much at all. I mean they could do a lot more on Android and Youtube than what they are doing now just for example and those are platforms MS and the rest could only dream of having. Maybe they're building towards that slowly or something, I don't know.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Stadia works.

But.... I have a fiber internet connection. And haven't spent any money (still using free trial)... And don't plan to. So... I don't know what they can do to succeed if they don't invest in producing high quality original IPs that are exclusive to that platform.

What gaming platform has succeeded without either exclusives or being an open platform???

None have.

They either need to quadruple down and buy some AAA games or make the base platform and sub free to all.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I... actually kinda like Stadia.

Sure, it's a completely inferior product to "local" gaming on consoles or PC. Their pricing model got infinitely better now that you don't have to buy a subscription AND purchase games (it's now either/or, like it should have been from the beginning). Just this week they started rolling out direct-to-Youtube game streaming. With my $10/month Stadia Pro subscription (which I cancel / re-subscribe if there aren't any games I'm interested in coming out similar to Humble Choice) I have a library of about 50 games on the platform now that typically grows by 6-8 new games per month. The platform is starting to get some decent sales - I bought the $100 Borderlands 3 edition yesterday for $11 which is far cheaper than it's been anywhere else. I got Tomb Raider reboot for free ($10 coupon for being a member, game discounted to $9.99) and Crayta also a few weeks ago.

My phone paired with a Razer Kishi is an excellent way for me to play Stadia games on the go - or at least where I have wifi. Personally I'd compare it more with the Switch than anything else, and honestly the games look and run better. Even when I'm at home and have access to other consoles, it's easy to pop Stadia open and play while my wife is watching TV or whatever else. So it personally meets my needs.

make a poll like this next for VR

will be fun re-reading the opinions of a bunch of boomer flat console and pc gamers 10 years from now on a virtual flat legacy web browser window in my Oculuslim 2030...

in my view, Stadia would get a lot of momentum if it signed a deal with Nintendo to allow switch players to access high caliber games with nextgen graphics... this would instantly put the final nail in the coffin of the old console model

Btw, bring it to Quest as well

VivaR3V

Neo Member
For all the doom and gloom, that’s just people who it was never really intended to appeal to, or perhaps following the current “meta” of negativity towards the service.

The fact is, it works well and is already expanding to other countries. Just because it doesn’t appeal to you does not mean it’s not going to gain traction elsewhere, with others.

Its funny sometimes seeing the one line comments of ”dead in a six months” and the general matter of fact comments, as though you really have some forward knowledge of its demise “because“ of the entity that is “Google”. it’s saddening to some extent that fanning the flames of a view, shouting the loudest in a majority group somehow is expected to be seen as validity of your view.

As much as this is the kind of meta sport that forums often end up with, is it really still “meta” to hate on stadia for offering a service to a group of potential customers that might just not be you?

Once more, I have all the systems and enjoy my PS5 as much as the next man. I’ve hardly touched my XBSX with its ground breaking (to most here) game pass. But weirdly, I was playing the ultimate edition of borderlands 3 that I purchased for £11 earlier on my iPad, having a jolly nice time too.

Each to their own.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Considering google will just dump shit, yes it will get cancelled probably in 2 years.
Google (like any company, really) typically only dumps products that aren't making money. I would venture to guess that Stadia is pretty profitable for them and will likely continue to be.

Mokus

For all the doom and gloom, that’s just people who it was never really intended to appeal to, or perhaps following the current “meta” of negativity towards the service.

The fact is, it works well and is already expanding to other countries. Just because it doesn’t appeal to you does not mean it’s not going to gain traction elsewhere, with others.

Its funny sometimes seeing the one line comments of ”dead in a six months” and the general matter of fact comments, as though you really have some forward knowledge of its demise “because“ of the entity that is “Google”. it’s saddening to some extent that fanning the flames of a view, shouting the loudest in a majority group somehow is expected to be seen as validity of your view.

As much as this is the kind of meta sport that forums often end up with, is it really still “meta” to hate on stadia for offering a service to a group of potential customers that might just not be you?

Once more, I have all the systems and enjoy my PS5 as much as the next man. I’ve hardly touched my XBSX with its ground breaking (to most here) game pass. But weirdly, I was playing the ultimate edition of borderlands 3 that I purchased for £11 earlier on my iPad, having a jolly nice time too.

Each to their own.
Now you know how does it feel owning a Vita... :messenger_crying:

Murdoch

I bet the Nintendo Switch doesn't even sell as much as the WiiU. There's absolutely no market for products like the switch anymore, mark my (and this forums) words!

wolywood

Stadia is still starved for exclusives, but the just released Outcasters (the Splash Damage title) is a step in the right direction. It hits that easy to learn, difficult to master sweet spot that make multiplayer games lile Rocket League so addictive.

Last edited:

jshackles

Just because you want something to fail, doesn't mean it's going to fail.

I know several people IRL that I'd describe at non-gamers that don't own game consoles or gaming PCs but they're 100% all in on Stadia. The fact that people can play something as graphically demanding as Cyberpunk 2077 on their phones and ipads without having to invest in high-end graphics cards or make large console purchases (or even purchase televisions which some don't even have) means it's a fundamental shift for gaming breaking into new and previously untapped markets. It may not be for you, but who cares if it lets more people enjoy our shared hobby? We can think it's silly and inferior all we want, but that doesn't change the fact that these people exist and likely far outnumber us.

wolywood

Seeing streamers like Rerez who love to post "loolz Stadia is teh fail" videos queue up for Crowd Play games last week tells me that Stadia is starting to turn the corner in terms of public perception. Long way to go though.

Agent X

I... actually kinda like Stadia.

Sure, it's a completely inferior product to "local" gaming on consoles or PC. Their pricing model got infinitely better now that you don't have to buy a subscription AND purchase games (it's now either/or, like it should have been from the beginning). Just this week they started rolling out direct-to-Youtube game streaming. With my $10/month Stadia Pro subscription (which I cancel / re-subscribe if there aren't any games I'm interested in coming out similar to Humble Choice) I have a library of about 50 games on the platform now that typically grows by 6-8 new games per month. The platform is starting to get some decent sales - I bought the $100 Borderlands 3 edition yesterday for $11 which is far cheaper than it's been anywhere else. I got Tomb Raider reboot for free ($10 coupon for being a member, game discounted to $9.99) and Crayta also a few weeks ago.

My phone paired with a Razer Kishi is an excellent way for me to play Stadia games on the go - or at least where I have wifi. Personally I'd compare it more with the Switch than anything else, and honestly the games look and run better. Even when I'm at home and have access to other consoles, it's easy to pop Stadia open and play while my wife is watching TV or whatever else. So it personally meets my needs.

Good post, and I agree with much of what you said.

Right now, Stadia cannot act as a complete replacement for PC or console gaming. It can, however, serve as a great complementary service.

They're gradually transforming the Stadia Pro "free games" package into something more in line with PlayStation Now or Xbox Game Pass or Luna. Once that package exceeds 100 games, I think you'll see a lot more people stand up and take notice.

Last edited:

Alucardx23

A thread for the ages.

@all smart asses

No escape, dudes. You must leave a comment and your opinion about Stadia's future.

No more "LOL", " It's dead" And then hidding if Stadia become successful one day...

Have balls or please take a cup of STFU. ;)

I think it will be kinda successful (efficient, easy to use, cheap and the easiest way to play cyberpunk)

You needed to add the "I said it would die on the first 6 months to a year but I was wrong." option as well. So far Stadia seems to be on the right track for growth. We should see the first cloud native games in one to two years and that should be a good differentiator.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
This thread is a joke, just like stadia

tenor.gif
So? Where are your balls? If you think Stadia will be dead before 2021, just say it. Your prediction will be in the front page next year and we'll see if Stadia is a joke ;)

Alucardx23 Alucardx23
Indeed :)

S Slings and Arrows
So, you'll smell my ass in every thread?
Yeah, I'm @Voost_Kain . You got me, Sherlock. Ask a moderator to check our IPs and then ask a perma ban lol.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
are you serious i thought this is a joke thread, a stadia fanboy lol never thought i'd see the day

So? Where are your balls? If you think Stadia will be dead before 2021, just say it. Your prediction will be in the front page next year and we'll see if Stadia is a joke ;)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'd use it if they paid me. Actually, even then...no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom