• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's company culture.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
what? fortune teller?

Wada consulted a Fortune Teller and the FT told him to move HQ due to believing an area would be more profitable which in turn caused Uematsu to leave the company and go freelance due to the area making him uncomfortable, he also stressed that he had little time to do what he liked which was compose music.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Why not? The fans have been begging for it since a long time and it's likely they'll make a lot of money.

But instead they make yet another sequel to FXIII...

VII Compilation. XIII Compilation.

Obviously gonna bridge the 2 planets together.

kuroshiki

Wada consulted a Fortune Teller and the FT told him to move HQ due to believing an area would be more profitable which in turn caused Uematsu to leave the company and go freelance due to the area making him uncomfortable, he also stressed that he had little time to do what he liked which was compose music.

You can't be serious.

Asian/Japanese culture. *sigh* I suppose if he was a westerner he would consult god. Then again, consulting a fortune teller will actually give you feedback.

This is so ridiculous that I didn't think it could possibly be true, and then other people confirmed it.

Imperial Hot, ladies and gentlemen.

Esura

Banned

That's... weird as hell.

Soul_Pie

I haven't played a square enix game since I borrowed my friend's copy of XIII, which even then I regret doing, and that isn't going to change any time soon unless the company starts making big changes. Everything I see out of them, except very rare efforts like the world ends with you (which exists on a handheld platform I don't own) just strikes me as a company that has not only lost the plot but lost any kind of ambition as well. These comments would go a long way towards explaining why the company is in the state it is in.

The whole company needs a shake up, get your shit together Square Enix.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
You can't be serious.

It's pretty normal for the Chinese and perhaps the Japanese to consult fengshui masters when it comes to any large changes, be it moving house or purchasing new property. So its not just Wada but many bosses who are concerned about such things. Sometimes even the design of the building itself needs to be consulted. For example, one of the more popular shopping malls here in Singapore (Ngee Ann City and by extension, the Takashimaya Departmental Store) is designed to resemble an elaborate Chinese tombstone because it will bring in money.

M65584357f6b0538cc986dbc83e58a5f8.jpg

M9d533aad40a51bab65e5898d158250ce.jpg

Its not uncommon for businesses to consult fengshui to decide which days are best for the opening cermonies of stores and which days are good for moving.

It needs to be de-made. So that the devs at square can figure out where the fuck the appeal of their games came from and where it disappeared to.

Seriously, while I cannot deny I wanted a remake for years. Nowadays I'm not so sure simply from the fact that SquareEnix isn't the Squaresoft that made that game and I would fear for it.

Esura

Banned
It's pretty normal for the Chinese and perhaps the Japanese to consult fengshui masters when it comes to any large changes, be it moving house or purchasing new property. So its not just Wada but many bosses who are concerned about such things. Sometimes even the design of the building itself needs to be consulted. For example, one of the more popular shopping malls here in Singapore (Ngee Ann City and by extension, the Takashimaya Departmental Store) is designed to resemble an elaborate Chinese tombstone because it will bring in money. Its not uncommon also for businesses to consult fengshui to decide which days are best for the opening cermonies of stores and which days are good for moving.

Ah, did not know this.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hey square-enix... release some games.

Not Eidios. I mean YOU, Square.

I buy all of your handheld games, but most of the west just doesn't care about those. We need console and pc games and we need them asap. Stop bitching about dev costs, make some games and make sure there's some goddamn towns in there somewhere and people will buy it!

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, did not know this.

It is one of those things that people do for peace of mind. They do not always believe in it wholeheartedly but go along with it anyway because they don't want anything to go wrong.

This is one of the reasons why I thought the Lightning changing her name thing wasn't that bad (the monlogue was bad though, made worse with the English V.A.). There are people who change their names after consulting Fengshui masters or fortune tellers because they believe it can change who are they.

On topic, I just wish they have the guts next gen to put out a new and good IP and give it the same marketing treatment that FF mainline games receive. They can't possibly think that they can just continue riding on their existing ones forever. It's time to cultivate new IPs and new directors/producers.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aren't majority (in fact probably all) of the big gaming companies like this?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't majority (in fact probably all) of the big gaming companies like this?

They do sound like every other company, not even just gaming companies.

I think Wada still sees the same one.

He probably need to see him regularly to get charms to ward off all the bad karma and criticism lol...

"Put this next to your bed and you will have sweet dreams. Carry this with you all the time and you can avoid unnecessary tension at work."

aerts1js

haha listen, if they feel the need to re-make the first few final fantasy's a ga-billion times then I don't understand why they wouldn't remake the game that a large majority of fans have been asking for.

I personally don't care whether final fantasy 7 gets re-made or not but by not listening to its fans, I don't think the series is going down the right road.

Also, WTF at their handling of Kingdom Hearts. They are sitting on a GOLD mine but are trying their best to wreck the series by releasing each chapter on a different system.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
haha listen, if they feel the need to re-make the first few final fantasy's a ga-billion times then I don't understand why they wouldn't remake the game that a large majority of fans have been asking for.

I personally don't care whether final fantasy 7 gets re-made or not but by not listening to its fans, I don't think the series is going down the right road.

Also, WTF at their handling of Kingdom Hearts. They are sitting on a GOLD mine but are trying their best to wreck the series by releasing each chapter on a different system.

Square has the whole not listen to the fanbase thing down to a T.

Cwarrior

This explains a lot, on how square enix manages to make the most soulless games out there, there games use nice colours but are extremely boring,unambitious and feel like your watching a video tape of someone playing a boring rpg (that's how unengaging there battle systems are).

This company should just stop making video games and get back to making bad movies.

I wouldn't give them those handheld games since there outsourced (twewy is by Jupiter)

This explains a lot, on how square enix manage to make the most soulless games out there, there games use nice colours but are extremely boring,unambitious and feel like your watching a video tape of someone playing a boring rpg (that's how unengaging there battle are systems)

Different strokes I guess. I found FF XIII and XIII-2 to have the most exciting and visceral combat in any JRPG I have played in all my years of gaming. I wouldn't call them unambitious either.

Esura

Banned
It is one of those things that people do for peace of mind. They do not always believe in it wholeheartedly but go along with it anyway because they don't want anything to go wrong.

This is one of the reasons why I thought the Lightning changing her name thing wasn't that bad (the monlogue was bad though, made worse with the English V.A.). There are people who change their names after consulting Fengshui masters or fortune tellers because they believe it can change who are they.

On topic, I just wish they have the guts next gen to put out a new and good IP and give it the same marketing treatment that FF mainline games receive. They can't possibly think that they can just continue riding on their existing ones forever. It's time to cultivate new IPs and new directors/producers.

They would probably do so only on handhelds. Like with Bravely Default. They seem to be pushing that a bit...in Japan that is.

This explains a lot, on how square enix manages to make the most soulless games out there, there games use nice colours but are extremely boring,unambitious and feel like your watching a video tape of someone playing a boring rpg (that's how unengaging there battle are systems).

This company should just stop making video games and get back to making bad movies.

FFXIII and XIII-2 definitely doesn't feel "soulless" or whatever to me. Possibly some of my most favorite entries in the series.

Persona86

Banned
Different strokes I guess. I found FF XIII and XIII-2 to have the most exciting and visceral combat in any JRPG I have played in all my years of gaming. I wouldn't call them unambitious either.

But it looks like they are making BIG changes for lightning returns (which is the only reason I'm watching out for it haha), I wonder why?

But it looks like they are make BIG changes for lightning returns (which is the only reason I'm watching out for it haha), I wonder why?

If you are trying to insinuate that the majority of fans of the games found the battle systems to be boring I would disagree. I thought a lot of people found their battle systems to be very enjoyable and a breath of fresh air from the norm. Even on GAF.

If you are trying to insinuate that the majority of fans of the games found the battle systems to be boring I would disagree. I thought a lot of people found their battle systems to be very enjoyable and a breath of fresh air from the norm. Even on GAF.

Coming off the battle system of FFXII anything would of felt like an extreme sport, if there is one major thing in XII to complain about it is absolutely the painfully boring battle system and if there is one major thing about XIII to not complain about it is the far faster and more active battle system.

Persona86

Banned

I would guess 50% of the people who bought it found it boring. But like you said different strokes, so of course there are plenty of people who found it fun too.

The I wonder why question, to me the answer is probably to please the other 50% who have some interest in the games, variety is always a good thing.

Vamphuntr

Platinum Games should make the next FF title.

Why? How many AAA RPGs have they released so far?

Well I guess Okami was pretty good

But in truth, the next FF should be a Matsuno and From Software collaboration on Square Enix's next gen engine

Same question. How many AAA RPGs from the same style as FF have From Software released?

As for Matsuno he seems to quit when thing doesn't go like he wants too. I doubt SE will give him another chance after FFXII. Something from the Ogre series sure (they had him work on Tactics Ogre PSP) but I don't think he'll make another mainline FF game again.

I would guess 50% of the people who bought it found it boring. But like you said different strokes, so of course there are plenty of people who found it fun too.

The I wonder why question, to me the answer is probably to please the other 50% who have some interest in the games, variety is always a good thing.

Can't argue with that. If Lightning Returns was just more of the same with minor variation I even think I would find it stale tbh.

And as one of FF XIII's biggest fans, I hope to hell they quit the XIII series after LR. They are seriously splintering the fanbase with their obsession with XIII. I love it, but it hurts me to see fans of the series being further and further turned off with their output and direction the series is going.

CorvoSol

Asian/Japanese culture. *sigh* I suppose if he was a westerner he would consult god. Then again, consulting a fortune teller will actually give you feedback.

I think the missing thing in the story is whether or not Wada was considering moving HQ already and the Fortune Teller just confirmed his idea. When someone in the West says "I'm thinking about moving HQ, but I'll have to sleep on it/pray about it." it doesn't sound SUPER crazy. But if HQ is totally fine and there's no real reason and out-of-the-blue he says "God says we should move HQ!" then, well, unless they're a church, eyebrows will get raised.

So was Wada already planning on moving HQ, or was it all at the Fortune Teller's behest?

Persona86

Banned
And as one of FF XIII's biggest fans, I hope to hell they quit the XIII series after LR. They are seriously splintering the fanbase with their obsession with XIII. I love it, but it hurts me to see fans of the series being further and further turned off with their output and direction the series is going.
Or they could release Versus and THEN release more for FFXIII fans, but I guess they want to release it all at once before a new FF takes the spotlight, that makes sense I guess.

Vamphuntr

Can't argue with that. If Lightning Returns was just more of the same with minor variation I even think I would find it stale tbh.

I think they know many fans hated XIII. The drop in sales from XIII to XIII-2 is pretty telling and they would have to be blind to not understand it. My guess is that they didn't have much choice but to milk it anyway since they didn't have the time and ressources to start a new series from scratch at this point in the generation.

I would guess that coming up with the lore bible for a new universe is a lengthy process. So is designing the arts and aesthetics for a whole new world. With XIII they also had created so much that they had extra areas and models they never used. With FFXIV requiring a complete revamp and FFVsXIII sapping ressources it seems the only way to still have something attractive to sell was to make more FFXIII. They even used Tri-Ace for the coding of XIII-2...

CorvoSol

As someone else who liked XIII (even with all its deep, deep flaws), I mostly agree, assuming that 1) You mean mainline XIII, and not Versus, which they owe it to their fans to release and 2) It doesn't interfere with the Type series getting the green light, because even though I'm skeptical about what they can do with Type-0's story from where the game left off, the mythos/world and gameplay conventions are all more than enough to warrant more games in that line.

Seriously, FFIV only needed ONE sequel. Most don't even need THAT. Can't they lay off XIII yet?

Like, is there really some fanbase out there pushing so vehemently for these sequels? Is that fanbase really large enough to warrant this?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I think the missing thing in the story is whether or not Wada was considering moving HQ already and the Fortune Teller just confirmed his idea. When someone in the West says "I'm thinking about moving HQ, but I'll have to sleep on it/pray about it." it doesn't sound SUPER crazy. But if HQ is totally fine and there's no real reason and out-of-the-blue he says "God says we should move HQ!" then, well, unless they're a church, eyebrows will get raised.

So was Wada already planning on moving HQ, or was it all at the Fortune Teller's behest?

It was probably more that they had plans to move already and the fortune teller made some suggestions as to where they should move to. And probably only after Wada gave him a few choices to select from. I doubt any sane group of shareholders would listen to Wada because a fortune teller say they must move. It's not like we're talking about Wada's own home.

EDIT:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39374/This_week_in_Japanese_news_Square_Enix_to_Otome.php

"[Square Enix CEO and president Yoichi] Wada took a couple of locations to a fortune teller named Pao," said Uematsu. "Pao said the Meguro space was not going to bring any fortune to the company, and pointed to Shinjuku. That's why he decided to move it there. I heard this directly from Wada."

MechaX

While not getting into any speculation about quality, I can reasonably imagine a scenario where LR:FFXIII doesn't catch on because it didn't appeal to the people who actually liked the gameplay in XIII and XIII-2. Basically, with each attempt SE makes in trying to broaden the name, I can see them essentially narrowing their audience more and more.

Of course, they probably should have just taken the hint after XIII, but... eh, such is life.

I'm really hoping that Squeenix goes down the pooper at this point. Maybe it'll open up some opportunities for RPG devs who are really trying new things and succeeding. Mistwalker, Monolith Soft, and Level-5 come to mind.

I had hope that maybe Bioware would become the next Square, but after the EA buy out... Ugh...

Square-Enix's release lapses have probably already left it open for competition. The only thing that would happen if S-E disappeared would likely be ... less JRPGs.

Top Bottom